PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider: 8 - Rated as mature?

Phlip
3rd Dec 2007, 15:18
Since there’s a rumour flying around that TR: 8 may be rated as “Mature”, that could mean that the blood and gore may be back. :thumbsup:

But something worries me. The fact that if it is going to be rated “Mature”, Lara/other characters may start to use bad language. And I personally wouldn’t be happy with that.

How would you feel if in the next Tomb Raider, characters started using profanity? http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon13.gif lol.

humbug
3rd Dec 2007, 15:36
I can not imagine characters in TR8 using bad language to be honest.

Treeble
3rd Dec 2007, 15:47
Neither can I and that's pure speculation. Blood and gore won't return and the game will still be a Teen rated game. All whiners will still have things to whine for because they can never be happy.

humbug
3rd Dec 2007, 15:54
To be honest I don't care if theres blood or not. The good thing I can see about the game being possibly mature is that the game might be more difficult in the puzzle area, as it is aimed at an older audience.

Treeble
3rd Dec 2007, 16:20
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing about "Mature" games is that they have blood dripping and stirring out of anything.

Besides, most of the Tomb Raider fanbase shouldn't be able to play it if it were Mature. What's the point of having a rating "M" that means only 18+ and older people can play if you'll find all 13 year old whiners playing and complaining about other petty details? It's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

William Croft
3rd Dec 2007, 16:39
Personally, If they did. I wouldnt be happy. Personally I think the games are fine how they are. I wouldnt mind better moves but not a change or personality

NightRain'06
3rd Dec 2007, 18:17
Not to spoil anything for Uncharted but if anyone has ever played the demo, rated Teen by the way, in the early cutscene of the demo (which IS NOT the first level, I don't think) the main playable character Nathan Drake does say a profanity word. Initially, I was surprised about that. It felt like they slipped it in intentionally. I don't know about the full game (since I don't have it yet) regarding whether or not there's more profanity used. Almost forgot that when shooting enemies in Uncharted, there is blood in little spurts like old TR games.

So in the new TR game, I doubt it'll be rated as Mature. If it is Mature and they add profanity, God forbid, that's just stupid.

Personally, it should stay as Teen and no profanity. A little blood is okay since that's what I kind of missed in Legend and Anniversary.

RUGRLN
3rd Dec 2007, 18:24
Well Blood and gore acceptable...

But making it mature and 17+ may push it to limits, which I personally do not want! TR is TR, mature is not TR style!

Profanity is what I'm speaking about, which I don't agree of!

Nevertheless, I realy doubt it would become true coz Toby said that TR was like already been made baby -ish to accomodate younger gamers. So, M+ I don't think is a wise move. If it goes back to how it was back in TR1-3, then no porb with blood and all, but also Underworld seems to gothic for TR!!!

Mertz523
3rd Dec 2007, 22:17
It takes more than profanity to make a game 'M' rated, but language can be used in 'T' rated games. Believe it or not, but there is a difference between language and profanity, with the latter being the worst.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and The Two Thrones were rated 'M' for blood and gore, intense violence, and sexual themes. No language/profanity whatsoever.

If TR8 were to be rated 'M' it would be for any of those reasons. A game like GTA is rated 'M' for all the above and pervasive profanity and drug use. Legend was 'T' for blood, language, suggestive themes, and violence whilst Anniversary was 'T' for suggestive themes and violence.

Depending on what word was used in the opening cutscene of Uncharted (I won't know 'til April, when I get my PS3) it was probably repeated a few times. I did look and the game is rated 'T' for blood, language, mild suggestive themes, use of tobacco, and violence.

The MPAA does this with motion pictures as well (in the United States, anyway, I don't know about other regions). If the f-word is used more than twice nowadays, the film is automatically rated 'R' whilst other language in small doses can garner a PG-13 rating and, in some cases, a PG rating if it's innocent enough.

With that being said, they would have to add exorbitant amounts of violence, more blood, and profanity. They may slip in a few naughty words like they used in Legend, but not enough to get an 'M' rating. I highly doubt Eidos and CD will do that with TR8.

Randy 54
4th Dec 2007, 00:21
I'm sure this is purely a rumor as I cannot see losing sales due to parental
intervention. But on the otherhand, I think they would do better to concentrate on fixing the problems everyone complains about rather than worry how much blood can be spilled without making people sick.

NightRain'06
4th Dec 2007, 01:48
Seriously, I agree with Randy 54 that the game's overall bug-free content, controls, et cetera should be the main focus.

[Little related rant...]

I don't want to experience another Assassin's Creed frenzy where gamers on both 360 and PS3 had glitches/bugs from seldom to severe after playing for a little while initially. Then everything hit the fan-- meaning fans were upset, etc. Even though the developer eventually provided an official patch for gamers now for free download, it doesn't seem to be a fix for most of them or at all. The culprit seemed to be the PS3's AC version's issues were more severe. I don't know about the 360 version.

Important note (disclosure):
I'm NOT saying that TR8 will have the same problems. I believe and have great confidence in Crystal Dynamics's abilities in that they'll provide us with a great game as they always have.

So to anyone, just relax and don't take what I said the wrong way. Even though AC has problems, it's still a great game to me. [Rant done]

Since this is a Rumor about TR8 being probably, potentially Mature rated, I wouldn't put too much thought into it. I highly doubt they will suddenly change the game for that because TR games have stayed as Teen for a decade.

About Uncharted, well, this was the first time I've heard a game character say a profanity word in a Teen rated game so to me it was a complete shock.

naraku
4th Dec 2007, 07:46
Not to spoil anything for Uncharted but if anyone has ever played the demo, rated Teen by the way, in the early cutscene of the demo (which IS NOT the first level, I don't think) the main playable character Nathan Drake does say a profanity word. Initially, I was surprised about that. It felt like they slipped it in intentionally. I don't know about the full game (since I don't have it yet) regarding whether or not there's more profanity used. Almost forgot that when shooting enemies in Uncharted, there is blood in little spurts like old TR games.

So in the new TR game, I doubt it'll be rated as Mature. If it is Mature and they add profanity, God forbid, that's just stupid.

Personally, it should stay as Teen and no profanity. A little blood is okay since that's what I kind of missed in Legend and Anniversary.

Hhmm. I have Uncharted, and just played the upriver level. So far I've heard profanity being used several times. But it doesn't draw too much attention from the game. The game is more of an action movie. I wouldn't mind TR8 being like Uncharted in that respect. Drakes fortune takes me back to the TR golden age of action adventure. I don't think they'll make it rated M because of bad language or blood and gore.

Phlip
4th Dec 2007, 15:36
CD say they don't want to include blood and gore because they want to attract a younger audience. But my thoughts are that if they did want to attract a younger audience, they would put blood and gore in, because a lot of teens like B & G.

Now does that make sense?

Jezyk
4th Dec 2007, 20:09
Some minimum, realistic blood would be nice! Like in TR1. And also impaling and breaking bones and other real stuff, not the rubber doll Lara that bounces off any spike because of the censorship :/ It's hilarious.

PS: Treeble, to me posting endless messages about how other users are kids/never happy/only want to complain/other blah blah stuff is also WHINING!

Treeble
4th Dec 2007, 20:25
if they did want to attract a younger audience, they would put blood and gore in, because a lot of teens like B & G.

Teens and children just like it so much because they're not supposed to see it. Everything that's forbidden is always better. Once you reach the age where you'd be supposed to be able to see that, it loses any appeal it ever had. Then you go freaking nuts and kill all your schoolmates and the court blames it on videogames. :p

Besides, that's from a boy's point of view. I've never seen a 13 year girl complaining that her screen doesn't become red and full of blood spots and Lara's head doesn't go flying when a blade trap catches her. That's just what boys think it's cool. It's pathethic. :p

Randy 54
5th Dec 2007, 00:52
@ Treeble

Well said

Mertz523
5th Dec 2007, 03:42
Teens and children just like it so much because they're not supposed to see it. Everything that's forbidden is always better. Once you reach the age where you'd be supposed to be able to see that, it loses any appeal it ever had. Then you go freaking nuts and kill all your schoolmates and the court blames it on videogames. :p

Besides, that's from a boy's point of view. I've never seen a 13 year girl complaining that her screen doesn't become red and full of blood spots and Lara's head doesn't go flying when a blade trap catches her. That's just what boys think it's cool. It's pathethic. :p

:D

I love dark humor.

;)

Tigerman68
5th Dec 2007, 17:31
Frankly, I would be VERY dissappointed if Eidos would allow blood, gore, or foul language into the series. I don't think they would be dumb enough to do that, seeing the tremendous following TR has with the crowd of 17 and younger. Though I'm far beyond the minimum age requirement for Mature ratings (yes, I'm one of the few on the Forum that actually remembers the day when Elvis died), I would refuse to buy the series if extreme blood and foul language was brought into the series. I wouldn't object to the amount of blood we saw in the original TR, however, that would still bring a Mature rating today and my guess is that if a company was going to make a game mature for a "little" bit of blood, they would go much further to get the most they can out of the Mature rating. That would not be cool.

My guess is that this is just a crazy rumor someone dreamed up, but Eidos, if you are considering this...my suggestion too (as mentioned above in another post) is to focus the time, money, and effort into building up the important aspects of the game instead, such as: the envrironment, gameplay, and AI.

IMAO :whistle:

Treeble
5th Dec 2007, 19:43
PS: Treeble, to me posting endless messages about how other users are kids/never happy/only want to complain/other blah blah stuff is also WHINING!

I whine, you whine, he/she whines, we whine, they whine.

Some whine about things they can't change, others whine about things that can't be changed. My posts are as endless as the whiners of the former type.

LisaB1962
6th Dec 2007, 16:03
The ESRB is so broken when it comes to rating games I have little confidence it the system. As long as they rate games as if they're movies, they will fail.

naraku
9th Dec 2007, 22:49
Blood and gore on a Teen rating is common place now. I've seen a lot of that on teen games. Uncharted had all of the above and even some tobacco use in there. The only reason I can imaging TR would have a M rating is Nudity. I think Ms. Croft might have a TR Cradle of Life with Terry Sheridan moment. That's the only thing left that would result in a M rating.

Lara is awesome
11th May 2009, 22:02
:lol::lol:Blood is not to bad. I may not be old enough for a mature game, but i am not squemish. your talking to the girl who thought disecting a rat would be cool. and watches double bils of bones.

Newly_Calibrated
12th May 2009, 14:49
i hate the fact that it seemed the developers got away from keeping TR original and distinct and went w/ the blood/gore/creepies that all the other games have. TR is NOT like every other game - or it shouldn't be. i didn't feel that TRU was anything special or distinct necessarily but that the developers were trying to sell out. sorry i know i'm stating the obvious probably but i don't understand why exactly EIDOS and the gang didn't keep with what made TR, TR. i simply hated LS and BTA wasn't bad but i don't like the blood and creepies that are SO prevalent in EVERY OTHER STINKING VIDEO GAME i see anymore. i have in TR games past, enjoyed the family factor (no bad language mostly, no blood, etc.) and it's sad to see something i loved so dearly go by the wayside for a quick buck. it should not have come as a surprise that EIDOS did not do well on TRU. their motives have been made quite clear, i'd say. i wish the new developers well and i sure hope they take TR back!

Wlado.Srbija
12th May 2009, 17:43
Some minimum, realistic blood would be nice! Like in TR1. And also impaling and breaking bones and other real stuff, not the rubber doll Lara that bounces off any spike because of the censorship :/ It's hilarious.

I agree, but, if that happens, it will surely be M rated (tho I don't care). They expelled the alternative ending because it is M rated (probably because of Amanda's leg, so...)... But, I laugh when Lara bounces of spikes in Anniversary, and would definitely like more blood, gore, and violence ... :D

TRA_Abomination
12th May 2009, 18:21
Neither can I and that's pure speculation. Blood and gore won't return and the game will still be a Teen rated game. All whiners will still have things to whine for because they can never be happy.

True; and btw, are you guys talking about TR9? because Underworld is 8...

MUFC_RAIDER
12th May 2009, 20:14
True; and btw, are you guys talking about TR9? because Underworld is 8...
This thread was started in 2007, so they do mean TR8(Underworld) but the game title must have not been released at that point.

cm2
12th May 2009, 20:27
Well I can see why it would have been rated as M, due to the thralls and tigers that attack Lara throughout her adventures. But otherwise, nothing about the game has adult content but a storyline, characters and all sorts of elements any audience can enjoy.

Perhaps the use of so many weapons and also the killing of animals enhanced the possibility it could have been an M but I think a '12' certificate nails it.

DarlinG
14th May 2009, 13:52
If they do that, you can imagine how piratery will increase :rasp:

John Akam
17th May 2009, 11:50
Wait wait. I missed a lot of stuffs and I am just too lazy to do research now. Underworld is rated M, right? What for?

ziad
20th May 2009, 15:22
woah woah woah... so its NOT OK for them to put a little bit of blood, implailment and swearing in the game.... but in legend and underworld it's ok for lara to go on a killing frenzy where she kills a little over 100 people...

dudes, i think you have your priority's mixed up!

_Love2Raid_
20th May 2009, 16:36
Uhhhmmm, you guys, this thread is like two years old....:o

This thread is for the next TR: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=88462

franiqueblack
21st May 2009, 22:53
Since there’s a rumour flying around that TR: 8 may be rated as “Mature”, that could mean that the blood and gore may be back. :thumbsup:

But something worries me. The fact that if it is going to be rated “Mature”, Lara/other characters may start to use bad language. And I personally wouldn’t be happy with that.

How would you feel if in the next Tomb Raider, characters started using profanity? http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon13.gif lol.

Profanities? As far as I'm concern, I haven't heard any profanities, verbally lurking in TR installments. Truthfully, Lara is smart and brilliant enough, having not to use vulgar words to communicate with her enemies, even so she's being skeptic/angry/agitated in any way. Character-wise, of course.
Let's hope they won't put naked Lara in it. Since they're planning to classify it as MATURE. *kinda reminds me of GTA and Godfather installments. Chics runnin' around topless. :lmao: *

What I'm more concern now is the puzzle. I missed the ones in TR:A. The puzzles are quite tricky, to be honest. Maybe it's just me, I guess. :P I'm not good with puzzles, so I kinda find 'em pretty tough to solve.

Jurre
22nd May 2009, 14:07
Considering things like impailment: the way I see it enemies like those mercs are the antagonists and they exist for the purpose of being fought and defeated, otherwise they wouldn't be the antagonists.

Lara however is the protagonist and I think creating and depicting situations in which she dies as horribly as possible is disrespectfull not only to the character but also to those players trying to connect with her. I know it has been something that was typical for the early Tr games but those who know me a little can tell that I don't give a sh@%$&

Considering swearing: well, we know she is English a little posh so she should swear like a posh Englishwoman. But again, her enemies: what does it matter when they use rough language?

Considering nudity and sex: in the first Ubisof PoP game there was a sexscene between the prince of Persia and the princess of India. It was to be honest a tender and beautiful scene. But then it was handled very tactfully and considering certain happenings in TrU I don't believe that Crystal D is tactfull enough to create a lovescene that isn't obcene and inappropriate.

Jilly The Taffer
22nd May 2009, 14:12
Being rated as 'mature' can also mean there might be a sex scene XD

But with who would our beloved Lara....?

NO!

It must be blood and gore.