PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider game-engine will be powering Deus Ex 3

tombnews11
3rd Dec 2007, 11:16
On August 26th, Eidos Interactive's new Montreal studio revealed that Deus Ex 3 (http://www.deusexcentral.com/games/deusex3) is in development, today word is out that this new video game will be powered by the latest Tomb Raider game engine developed by Crystal Dynamics.

"We chose the Crystal engine because we plan to help develop this engine more and then share it back with the rest of the company, the other Eidos studios. Having that technology from the start gives us a great advantage and foundation for our coders - there are no doubts about the approach, and we have few uncertainties", developer Stephane D'Astous told Develop magazine.

He added: "We just want to all work together on improving the same technology as we develop our game".

D'Astous continued, stating that the game is a major challenge for the new Eidos Montreal studio, but that his team is proud to be working on such a prestigious series.

"We did our research to find out what worked well, what people enjoyed about it - especially the first game. The second was a success in the eyes of some, but had some ups and downs, so we've tried to identify what worked well in that game," he explained.

"Most importantly, we're extracting what worked well and can be applied now. In the five, six years since that series arrived technology has changed significantly and we have to be careful - we don't want to create more of the same. Instead we've identified the features that can be transposed well onto new technology that arrived several years later."

The game maker added that all the developers feel the weight of responsibility on there shoulders, and will be working hard to live up to expectations of the fans.

Source: Deus Ex Central - http://www.deusexcentral.com/news/2007113001/

StormFront
3rd Dec 2007, 12:22
Search options in forums are wondeful things... <sigh>

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=73816

Red
3rd Dec 2007, 14:08
I suppose the same goes for effective thread headlines. Since users can instantly depict the content from "Wierdest decision...". :rolleyes:

IceBallz
5th Dec 2007, 10:18
GREAT !!! That was just the thing i tryed to explain. Just keep the engine smooth and put there some graphical effects that really works. Keep it easily updated from Deus Ex. With all new stuff that have come out, the past 10 years. Like i think the most Deus Ex fans like to have it. Is not to have it with super "nova" graphics. The most imported thing is to work on map sizes and content in game. Like to set in the new Eidos growd engine. But if graphics starts to be too mega hyper great (and laggy). It will draw down the framerate in game and maps starts to be small. I want to see big or great maps in Deus Ex with loads of people. I want to see accepted graphics, to bring maps bigger. Like whole Pentagon building or WTC building, fully alive and active. That's Deus Ex, 10 years later.

:thumbsup:

StormFront
5th Dec 2007, 10:27
GREAT !!! That was just the thing i tryed to explain. Just keep the engine smooth and put there some graphical effects that really works. Keep it easily updated from Deus Ex. With all new stuff that have come out, the past 10 years. Like i think the most Deus Ex fans like to have it. Is not to have it with super "nova" graphics. The most imported thing is to work on map sizes and content in game. Like to set in the new Eidos growd engine. But if graphics starts to be too mega hyper great (and laggy). It will draw down the framerate in game and maps starts to be small. I want to see big or great maps in Deus Ex with loads of people. I want to see accepted graphics, to bring maps bigger. Like whole Pentagon building or WTC building, fully alive and active. That's Deus Ex, 10 years later.

:thumbsup:

As ever your post is hideously difficult to understand, but one thing I do notice its that you think having HUGE levels will be a good thing.

Why exactly? You talk about rendering the whole pentagon. Who the hell would want that? Thousands of rooms filled with... furniture. Oh yes, I'm getting a chubby just at the thought...:confused:

I agree levels should be large and explorable: this is one of the things that provides interaction and diversity of play. But huge levels will just be dull.

Oh and I disagree utterly about GFX. This game should be as advanced as it can. I'd have it in the CryEngine 2 given the option. PC gamers need to to wake up and buy a real machine or bugger off and get a console....

IceBallz
5th Dec 2007, 10:58
As ever your post is hideously difficult to understand, but one thing I do notice its that you think having HUGE levels will be a good thing.

Why exactly? You talk about rendering the whole pentagon. Who the hell would want that? Thousands of rooms filled with... furniture. Oh yes, I'm getting a chubby just at the thought...:confused:

I agree levels should be large and explorable: this is one of the things that provides interaction and diversity of play. But huge levels will just be dull.

Oh and I disagree utterly about GFX. This game should be as advanced as it can. I'd have it in the CryEngine 2 given the option. PC gamers need to to wake up and buy a real machine or bugger off and get a console....

Maybe NOT whole Pentagon, but at least a 1/4 of it, with 100 people. Well you can have advanced or you can have bugged advanced and bad framerate. I want low advanced and smooth framerate. Why should we scream for advanced graphics ?!? Just to get people 2 hours of eye candy, instead of 3 years of todays graphics and great gameplays in weeks and years. And if i want to walk in the woods, like in Crysis. I do it for real. :nut:

You need to to wake up and know what the word "Deus Ex" stands for = "real machine (The ultimate machine, like a time machine could be)" or bugger off and get you a paintbook.... Like the word "Crysis" stands for = "real painting (The best masterpiece of graphics, like your paintbook could be)"...

:whistle:

A great painting is always easy to create for the talanted. While a great story and engine is always hard to every one. Thats the masterpiece of Deus Ex.

StormFront
5th Dec 2007, 11:16
Maybe NOT whole Pentagon, but at least a 1/4 of it, with 100 people. Well you can have advanced or you can have bugged advanced and bad framerate. I want low advanced and smooth framerate. Why should we scream for advanced graphics ?!? Just to get people 2 hours of eye candy, instead of 3 years of todays graphics and great gameplays in weeks and years. And if i want to walk in the woods, like in Crysis. I do it for real. :nut:

You need to to wake up and know what the word "Deus Ex" stands for = "real machine (The ultimate machine, like a time machine could be)" or bugger off and get you a paintbook.... Like the word "Crysis" stands for = "real painting (The best masterpiece of graphics, like your paintbook could be)"...

:whistle:

A great painting is always easy to create for the talanted. While a great story and engine is always hard to every one. Thats the masterpiece of Deus Ex.

And for the thousandth time: Good gFX DO NOT mean you cannot have good gameplay. If you actually think that then there is nothing more for you to discuss becasue you know not one thing about game design.

There is clearly no point in talking with you though. Your posts are gibberish and as soon as someone questions that gibberish you get offensive. Enjoy your stay, I shant be dealing with you...

Karthik
5th Dec 2007, 11:49
Hopefully the Montreal team can optimize the engine much further cause I remember how everyone with their uber GeForce 7 cards/SLI were angry with the poor performance in Tomb Raider Legend Next Gen mode.

StormFront
5th Dec 2007, 12:10
Hopefully the Montreal team can optimize the engine much further cause I remember how everyone with their uber GeForce 7 cards/SLI were angry with the poor performance in Tomb Raider Legend Next Gen mode.

Well given that this game will be out a full YEAR after GeForce 9, I should hope that it WILL run badly on GeForce 7 tech....:D

IceBallz
6th Dec 2007, 07:24
Well. The most of us men want to have a cheat and sexy one night stands, with real sexy blonde bimbos. But few of us really want to work too much with romance and love to one average looking girl, with brain behind her look. Like make Deus Ex 3 looking like all real sexy blonde bimbos does, with less story and brain behind them. Just like most of us wants the graphics in Deus Ex 3 look sexy. To be able to take sweet in-game screenshots of it?!? But most of us forgets, that a DVD still are 4.7 Gigs of maximum size. It's like set all your money, to resize your most vital bodypart. (I tell you not in words, what bodypart). While you still not learned to (smack a beaver), with it.

So me still asking for 95% story and 5% of graphical effects.

Splinter Cell : Double Agent is a goddamn example on how much grapical scripting waste gameplay time and story from games. I think, the most Splinter Cell fans out there thinks the last game was too damn short, but graphics owned. Now the game already takes dust on my table, like i think it takes dust on others. I don't want Deus Ex 3 to end like a one night stand or Deus Ex : Invisible War did for some years ago. I want to have story and romance to it. That is the cult of Deus Ex and what level it should been staying at. It should only be loads of sciens-fiction romance in Deus Ex and the look of it average or just little bit over it. To really use most of DVD size to a intresting and long story. With loads of different endings and choises of ways to take. With bigger maps then Deus Ex offered and more active NPC's in game.

:thumbsup: Bring me a story, in first place. Please............. :mad2:

StormFront
6th Dec 2007, 12:46
Again, you are wrong. Splinter Cell: Double agent was a bloody aweful game for 3 reasons:
1- The Dev team behind it stretched themselves WELL beyond the limit of their talent
2- The engine was pushed too hard. Instead of cowboying up and paying for a real engine they ahve continued to push the UEng 2 WELL beyond its shelf likfe meaing that performance has gotten steadily worse since SC2. (The reason that COnviction will be a joke as well)
3- It was a multiplatform game and the PC development did not get sympathetic treatment. The code that was finally released was all but a direct port of the 360 code.

You can be as ignorant as you like and your weird Babelfish posts can get longer and more prosaic, but everytime you turn up to peddle your "good graphics means no gameplay" nonsense and then set about demonstrating that you know precisely zero about game development I am afraid I will have to have a go at you. We simply cannot afford your odd obsessions to spread. If real Deus Ex fans start believeing your nonesense then people will automatically start assuming that DX3 is less than it could have been when it ships with good graphics. You just better start dealing with the real world right now: DX3 will have good graphics. This is a total no brainer and all your uninformed rantings will nto change that.

IceBallz
6th Dec 2007, 14:56
I end Splinter Cell - Double Agent in one half day. The others tok me, like 3 to 5 days. Great graphics, but minimal size of story. That sucked.

Feel me self fooled around, to buy the game. Becurse i thoght there was the same size of content packed in Splinter Cell : Double Agent, like it was in Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory. But i was wrong, so wrong and fooled around.

I just hope they don't try to impress on us too much with their graphics in Deus Ex 3 and promise us too much news. Like they did with Deus Ex : IW. I just only want to get a huge Deus Ex 3 and not a great living painting to put up on my desktop.

StormFront
6th Dec 2007, 15:03
I end Splinter Cell - Double Agent in one half day. The others tok me, like 3 to 5 days. Great graphics, but minimal size of story. That sucked.

Feel me self fooled around, to buy the game. Becurse i thoght there was the same size of content packed in Splinter Cell : Double Agent, like it was in Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory. But i was wrong, so wrong and fooled around.

Yes but it sucked becasue it SUCKED! It was just a bad game, nothing to do with the GFX FFS!

gamer0004
6th Dec 2007, 15:37
I agree that a good engine doens't HAVE to mean that the gameplay or story is bad, but very often it does, becaus the development team puts too much time in it and then doesn't have enough time left for the rest of the game.
If they just get the Unreal engine everything is fine. The crystal dynamics engine is fine too.
But: good engine DOES NOT mean good graphics.
Like Crysis. My PC isn't high end anymore (1,5 years old) but when I played the game at my friend's home (high end pc, couple of months old), the first thing I thought when I played the game was: GOD, those rocks are really ugly and the water wasn't looking good, too. Good engine means that the game's graphics are TECHNICALLY advanced (or not), but it comes down to the devs whether the ingame graphics look good or not.

StormFront
6th Dec 2007, 15:39
I agree that a good engine doens't HAVE to mean that the gameplay or story is bad, but very often it does, becaus the development team puts too much time in it and then doesn't have enough time left for the rest of the game.
If they just get the Unreal engine everything is fine. The crystal dynamics engine is fine too.
But: good engine DOES NOT mean good graphics.
Like Crysis. My PC isn't high end anymore (1,5 years old) but when I played the game at my friend's home (high end pc, couple of months old), the first thing I thought when I played the game was: GOD, those rocks are really ugly and the water wasn't looking good, too. Good engine means that the game's graphics are TECHNICALLY advanced (or not), but it comes down to the devs whether the ingame graphics look good or not.

Off topic, but with all due respect, if the rocks and water in Crysis looked ugly on your mates PC, then your mates PC sucked.:)

/off topic

humbug
6th Dec 2007, 15:45
PC gamers need to to wake up and buy a real machine or bugger off and get a console....

Trouble is Stormfront not all of us can afford to by a super duper machine. I just spent £500 on a grapics card, ram, cpu and MB and £500 is my limit. My machine is middle/high end, but I wouldn't want to have to turn around and buy a console because my pc wont run a game.

StormFront
6th Dec 2007, 15:51
Trouble is Stormfront not all of us can afford to by a super duper machine. I just spent £500 on a grapics card, ram, cpu and MB and £500 is my limit. My machine is middle/high end, but I wouldn't want to have to turn around and buy a console because my pc wont run a game.

Understood and I agree (to an extent), but why should the people who do buy good machines (and my rig is far from cuting edge) be forced to play crappy, ugly rehashed games simply because the average slack-jawed PC owner is a skin-flint? I don't see that as fair either.

Thankfully game devs are taking this out of our hands somewhat. Now that current gen consoles are within the same ballpark power wise as a good PC, most games are demanding higher and higher specs and I for one am thrilled with this.

While everyone else bemoaned the fact that their supa-L33T-ninja rig couldn;t run Crysis at full spec, I stood up and applauded.
:)

ThatDeadDude
6th Dec 2007, 16:03
I'm alright with the graphics becoming super-insane so that you need forty Crays to run the game on its high settings, I just wish they'd make it more scalable. I don't even care if they develop it for the uber machines, and then take 5 minutes to add settings that turn off everything so that the game looks terrible, but is playable. By this I mean I'd be fine with settings to turn off all the shaders, even those that are pretty much necessary and, I dunno, use the lowest-res part of the mipmaps as the world textures.

I mean, look at Half-Life 2. It supported what were state of the art graphics at the time, yet you could supposedly still run it on a TNT2. Admittedly, I don't know of anyone who did so.

I'm really dreading coming years, as I don't see myself being able to upgrade my PC very much, and I already can barely play things like COD4 :(

humbug
6th Dec 2007, 16:11
I have no problem with games demanding high specs, in fact I tried the timeshift demo the other day and I was welll impressed with the graphics especially the rain! The only problem was it said I needed to update my grapics card drivers ( I have a 512mb GForce 8600 GT) which I did, but it still said the same thing, so I'm guessing my graphics card isn't quite up to scratch. The game still ran though so I was happy!

Its just that I wouldn't want games to only run on top end computers no matter if you turned the settings down, I'm talking £1000's here, as most people couldn't justify spending that much on a PC.

gamer0004
6th Dec 2007, 18:23
Off topic, but with all due respect, if the rocks and water in Crysis looked ugly on your mates PC, then your mates PC sucked.:)

/off topic

Hehe. He had everything on High or Very High. The framerate wasn't great but it was playable (he owns an xbox360, so naturally he valued graphics over gameplay :P ). Resolution was 1680 × *I don't know* I believe (was quite high, higher than 1280×1024).

Bluey71
9th Dec 2007, 15:55
Originally posted by IceBalls
''Splinter Cell : Double Agent is a goddamn example on how much grapical scripting waste gameplay time and story from games. I think, the most Splinter Cell fans out there thinks the last game was too damn short, but graphics owned. Now the game already takes dust on my table, like i think it takes dust on others. I don't want Deus Ex 3 to end like a one night stand or Deus Ex : Invisible War did for some years ago. I want to have story and romance to it. That is the cult of Deus Ex...''

I think that is a point a lot of people feel the same about - its also the point stormfront cant get his head around. Up to the minute gfx dosn't make a bad game, just like it doesnt make good game.

The major point here is about finding a balance between gameplay/content and shiny gfx. And a balance is needed as IceBalls has already said. The legacy of Deus Ex is its story and its interactive levels.

The other part of the legacy of Deus Ex is in its resemblance to reality. Yes reality, I don't mean augmentations and technology, I mean the maps. Liberty Island is a perfect example of that. IMHO by basing a scifi story in the real world Ion Storm got a lot of ppl hooked on their game.

I found it interesting that the teaser trailer had some hidden meanings within it. That shows that someone is actually trying, at least on one level, to appeal to the fan base.

StormFront
9th Dec 2007, 16:17
<snip>

I think that is a point a lot of people feel the same about - its also the point stormfront cant get his head around. Up to the minute gfx dosn't make a bad game, just like it doesnt make good game.

<snip>

I can perfectly well get my head around what you all are saying, the problem is that you are all wrong and you comments after slating me went on to prove that! DX needs in equal proportion: story - interaction - graphics (I wont say "gameplay" because that is a retarded idea used by those who do not understand the medium they are discussing).

Graphics are simply vital to any modern game and with a game lixe DX3 whose immersion, involvement and believability are paramount to the experience they are even more important. If people cannot undestand that then it is a failure on their part. Continuously obssessing about this idea that GFX should be the lesser consideration shows two things:
1 - Said person has NO idea about game development or the markets into which games are released.
2 - You do not truly undersatnd the nature of Deus Ex as a series.

This game is going to, most likely, be primarily a console game. Console users SIMPLY WILL NOT BUY AN UGLY GAME. They wont do it and Eidos KNOW they wont do it. THAT ALONE is reason for focus to be given to the graphics. (And if it doesn't sell you can forget about DX ever appearing again - you people want that?)

On top of that Deus Ex would be enhanced by amazing graphics. Having realistic looking environments that acually force the player to moralise would be a massive improvement to the game. Also finaly realising the "light & shadow" play that was promised but not delivered with IW would be stunning! A genuine stealth element could only expand the possibilities the game offers.

It worries me greatly that PC owners are still so entrenched in idiotic old ideas like this. I can appreciate that not everyone will understand how game design works, but if you can't be bothered to develop an insight into it you could at least stop making yourself look stupid by arguing something that is blatantly and obviously false.

(BTW, bluey, I only used your post as a springboard - the rest of the rant is really directed toward other forumites)

IceBallz
9th Dec 2007, 17:29
Still waiting on World of Warcraft to come out, to my PS3. :(

StormFront
9th Dec 2007, 22:59
Still waiting on World of Warcraft to come out, to my PS3. :(

I doubt it will... but that aside, can you say "off topic"?:confused:

pKp
11th Dec 2007, 22:53
StormFront speaks the truth.
Also,

This game is going to, most likely, be primarily a console game.
THIS may be the doom of us PC gamers. Bad ports...:mad2:

Also, MMO's on consoles are just one or two years away, no that every "next-gen" one (Wii included) has Internet capabilities.

StormFront
12th Dec 2007, 10:20
StormFront speaks the truth.
Also,

THIS may be the doom of us PC gamers. Bad ports...:mad2:

Also, MMO's on consoles are just one or two years away, no that every "next-gen" one (Wii included) has Internet capabilities.

Doom? Nah. The shine will wear off 360 very shortly when devs realise that it is so weak compared to PC.

As for MMOs on consoles. Not that likely on the whole. You have to consider the network infrastructure behind the consoles: ie, there isn't one. Blizzard has already indicated that it is unlikely to ever ship WoW to 360/PS3 as it would be too much bother for them.