PDA

View Full Version : To devs : Sound triggers in walls ?

IceBallz
2nd Dec 2007, 13:58
Is it possible to set sound triggers into all walls in game. What I mean is that. If you go with you character close into a wall. You will hear your jacket rasp against the wall on that side, while you go. Just a idea that should be a easy thing to set into game. The issue is only how much it will take from CPU, to paste such thing into game.

JSDonald
3rd Dec 2007, 05:17
That is an awesome idea IceBalls. It would definitely add the the 'realism' element that I think we're all hoping the devs pay close attention to.

eightbits
3rd Dec 2007, 10:05
I don't see why this cannot be done, but the most obvious way to do it is to make the walls interactive objects like crates instead of making them terrain. That means every stretch of wall has to have a lot more information about it. If the engine isn't already set up to allow terrain to be interactive or semi-interactive, then this becomes a huge performance hit on the graphics card and probably the system's RAM and maybe even the CPU. Very good idea, but I don't know enough about the engine they've chosen to know if it can be done in this game.

IceBallz
6th Dec 2007, 08:53
That's just the question. If the engine could make this possible and if it taking to much of resourses from RAM and graphic cards.

StormFront
6th Dec 2007, 13:10
Okay: What the heck? Why would the sounds be in the wall? The sounds would be part of the models and the collision detection. It is no different to the footstep sounds you hear in EVERY game EVER...

Of course this is technically possible but it will not be used. In current first person views (as most of them do not render the full model, but just "float" the cemera at a set height) it would be too dificult to judge how far or near you are from a surface so basing a part of the gameplay (stealth) around this would cause endless frustration.

And why on earth do you think that playing a sound effect would take system resources?:confused:

.... weird....:nut:

IceBallz
6th Dec 2007, 13:45
Like i know. All stuff in computers still goes to a unit, known as the motherboard. In motherboard you find RAM aswell craphics card. Thats just why i worried.

IceBallz
6th Dec 2007, 13:52
Okay: What the heck? Why would the sounds be in the wall? The sounds would be part of the models and the collision detection. It is no different to the footstep sounds you hear in EVERY game EVER...

Of course this is technically possible but it will not be used. In current first person views (as most of them do not render the full model, but just "float" the cemera at a set height) it would be too dificult to judge how far or near you are from a surface so basing a part of the gameplay (stealth) around this would cause endless frustration.

And why on earth do you think that playing a sound effect would take system resources?:confused:

.... weird....:nut:

Well, stealth could be fixed. Only to add difficult walk speeds. Sneak, walk and run.

And why i think this maybe could take system resources. Is becurse everything in computer are connected to motherboard. If you have to much of actions in game, in the same time. This maybe could be more simple to make game crash or bug.

Ofcurse the programmers are the largest issue, if they are. But I hope not.

StormFront
6th Dec 2007, 15:43
Well, stealth could be fixed. Only to add difficult walk speeds. Sneak, walk and run.

And why i think this maybe could take system resources. Is becurse everything in computer are connected to motherboard. If you have to much of actions in game, in the same time. This maybe could be more simple to make game crash or bug.

Ofcurse the programmers are the largest issue, if they are. But I hope not.

You are the strangest person I have ever talked to on a forum and you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, do you?

Everything is connected to the motherboard is it? Well, blow me, that completely proves your argument then....:confused:

ThatDeadDude
6th Dec 2007, 16:13

I agree. As much as anything else, I think that a reasonable amount of players wouldn't even be able to work out what was causing this weird scraping sound as they walk near a wall, or are trying to lean out to take an enemy down. The whole bush-noise from STALKER that you speak of, IceBallz, was reasonable and quite cool because that's what happens when you walk through a bush. But how many people actually scrape along the walls wherever they go, even when they're trying to stick to it for cover? It might add to realism, but I think it might be more detrimental to immersion (if that makes sense, maybe should be other way around).

As to the technical implementation, overhead would be minimal. Triggers such as this can easily be found in most games with physics (say when you walk into a dangling chain) in which case the processing is in the physics, not the sound.

Demilitarized
6th Dec 2007, 18:04
Not all shooters have you playing as a floating head with with arms and a weapon. Starbreeze shooters ("Escape from Butcher Bay" and "The Darkness") allow you to see even your own shoulders. Wall scraping sounds might not be so confusing if this was the case.
"The Darkness" while not even comparable to "Deus Ex", had you running the gritty streets of new york in a trenchcoat exclusively at night.I found myself having some serious flashbacks. Some visual aspects of this game could make for an excellent model for a new Deus Ex. Gameplay... not so much.

gamer0004
6th Dec 2007, 18:33
I agree. As much as anything else, I think that a reasonable amount of players wouldn't even be able to work out what was causing this weird scraping sound as they walk near a wall, or are trying to lean out to take an enemy down. The whole bush-noise from STALKER that you speak of, IceBallz, was reasonable and quite cool because that's what happens when you walk through a bush. But how many people actually scrape along the walls wherever they go, even when they're trying to stick to it for cover? It might add to realism, but I think it might be more detrimental to immersion (if that makes sense, maybe should be other way around).

As to the technical implementation, overhead would be minimal. Triggers such as this can easily be found in most games with physics (say when you walk into a dangling chain) in which case the processing is in the physics, not the sound.

I agree it's not a very good idea. In real life you can make sure you don't make (much) noise when you move along a wall, because you can see where your body is and you can move much more gentily.
Idea is cool, but it shouldn't be implemented in the game.

IceBallz
7th Dec 2007, 06:44
Hehehe. Should been nicknamed Sir. MindStorm... *lol*

Set delay on the sound effects to take place. Just when you start to touch the walls or other stuffs. Make your view of sight, start to turn against that side you are going against. Set a short delay here for the sound to take place, so you can stop in time. This is nothing to gameplay to do in general. Just a effect in game that makes you feel, like a realistic part of the world. Small effect to make gameplay feel even more true world.

Lean move don't need to have the sound effects in it. Just only when you walk or running to close to wall. Same with your back against the wall, should not sound anything. Becurse you can actually push away from the wall with both of your hands. While you move sideways and against wall.

Vasarto
23rd Aug 2011, 02:28
NECRO THREAD TIME! TIME TO RAISE THE THREE OLDEST THREADS IN OUR HISTORY!

I hope that this happens. It would add a great deal of realism