PDA

View Full Version : Where do you want to go in Deus Ex 3? (post your top three picks)

Pages : [1] 2

transhuman
30th Nov 2007, 03:38
The original Deus Ex had great locations: the statue of Liberty, New York City, Hong Kong, Paris, Area 51/Naval Base/Bunker ... Then in DX:IW there were Seattle, Cairo, Trier (what the hell?) and Antarctica (followed by the Statue of Liberty again to make 5)... not quite as cool and the maps were all pretty small. I really hope that we have some big cities for this one!

My top three picks:
1. Washington DC
The original Deus Ex had a great political edge to it which made the plot more relevant and interesting; from the analysis of the trailer images it has been suggested that this game might be going back to an era in the DX universe even closer to now than the first game was. Besides being the perfect city for a politically charged storyline, DC is one of the most recognizable cities in the world. It would look great in trailers, would start the game on a really high note if it began on the Mall near the Washington Monument and the Capitol (maybe if there were demonstrations there for/against the Biopolitic Act?), and it would be really fun to run around the capitol in the game!

2. Tokyo, Japan
This one is a no-brainer. Invisible War didn't seem like it was as global a game as the first Deus Ex; they completely forgot Asia! Hong Kong was one of the best locations in Deus Ex. I think game developers tend to avoid using Tokyo because it seems too huge, but all you would need are a couple metro stops: Hachiko crossing in Shibuya, Akihabara, maybe Yoyogi Park? Maybe you could take a bullet train across the countryside? I have to think that pretty much all DX nerds would love to go to Tokyo. One of the best locations I can imagine for DX3!

3. Rome, Italy
When you think of great European cities this has to be right at the top of the list! Recognizable architecture and an epic sense of history, which would fit in well with all of the Leonardo Da Vinci stuff. Rome would be the perfect place to go to find out more about the Illuminati and historical secret societies. Another great possibility for the European city would be Venice - I remember really enjoying the canal section of Hong Kong in DX (even after beating the game several times I was still finding new stuff down there) and it would provide a totally different feel.

Where do you want to go in the next Deus Ex game?

IceBallz
30th Nov 2007, 05:48
1. Whole World Trade Center building , New York and some mission parts from streets of New York.

2. Whole Pentagon building, Washington DC and some mission parts from streets of Washington.

3. Area 51, and some small ghost villages outside Area 51 or in Nevada.

Godot
30th Nov 2007, 07:12
1. Siberia - Somewhere with wide open terrain and forests where the old Soviet establishment managed to hide secret projects aimed at designing super agents.

2. Australia - Where groups of survivalists have camped and trained for so long, waiting for the rest of the world to destroy itself, that some of them have even begun taking a more active role in the process.

3. Some city affected and greatly changed by climate change such as:
- London - Made much colder by the Gulfstream being shutdown.
- Venice - Reconstructed to deal with a higher sea level.
- Cape Canaveral, Florida - Abandoned after being mostly destroyed by recurring category 7 hurricane superstorms (also a consequence of Gulfstream shutdown). Besides, space missions are now launched via one of a number of space elevators established along the equator.

eightbits
30th Nov 2007, 21:16
Jerusalem (no Illuminati style story is complete without involvement from Israel.)

London

Buenos Aires

Berlin

Islamabad

And yes, Venice would be fun as hell! More variety with some underwater action going on.

And, some action in air would be good too. As much as I hate to say it, I would like to see Deus Ex kinda use a formula like James Bond movies. There is almost always some action in every movie in each of the following terrains:

air
sea
land

I would like to see that as well. We had a *little* water in the original Deus Ex. I'd liketo see more. I'd also like to see some air action, maybe similar to No One Lives Forever, but definitely more involved and a little more serious.

StormFront
30th Nov 2007, 21:43
Not to be arsey but I really dont care WHAT the locations are as long as they are BIG and EXPLORABLE.
Even the tiniest hint of those minature shoe box levels from IW will have me on a plane to Canada....

Woggy
30th Nov 2007, 23:41
Jerusalem is a very good idea. I would like to see the fate of the middle east in a the near deus ex future ;).

Godot
1st Dec 2007, 03:30
Jerusalem (no Illuminati style story is complete without involvement from Israel.)
/Godot slaps forehead!

Too right, eightbits. How could I forget Jerusalem?

However, I hope they move away from the usual Muslim vs non-Muslim conflict in the background. Most futurists and writers like Salman Rushdie predict many Muslim vs Muslim conflicts, rather like the 30 years war between Protestants and Catholics but on a much larger scale.

eightbits
1st Dec 2007, 03:42
Heheh.

Yeah, I agree. No need for modern/futuristic Judaeo-Christian/Islamic conflict. That would actually hurt the game and (dare I say) the purity of the Deus Ex story. Deus Ex really doesn't need it and can't really benefit from it.

humbug
1st Dec 2007, 20:24
I would quite like Liberty Island to feature in DX3.

StormFront
1st Dec 2007, 20:32
I would quite like Liberty Island to feature in DX3.
Actually, yes: I guess it should, shouldn't it?

What decides a lot of this is going to be how they continue teh plot. How much of IW will be acknowledged and what ecning will they refer to.

Unlick the amalgamation of Deus Exs endings that IW went for in its backdrop, the endings IW are very disperate.

In fact, looking at the images of persecution, segregationg and hatred toward nanotech in the trailer, I would guess that they went for the extreme Knights Templar ending?

transhuman
2nd Dec 2007, 01:20
I hope they make it a prequel to the first Deus Ex. If they put it later, they should basically just forget that IW happened.

And Jerusalem would be a great location!

ThatDeadDude
3rd Dec 2007, 12:17
Jerusalem could be cool, but to be honest, I'm tired of the Nights Templar and all that. We need some new conspiracies! (Methinks it's time to write a book about the plots of the Space Gorgons quickly)

As to locations...

I'd like to revisit New York.
Somewhere in the far east is necessary (The Tokyo idea is cool, or maybe somewhere less travelled)
Here. (Maybe I'm a bit biased... South Africa's probably better for GTA :D )

gamer0004
3rd Dec 2007, 16:09
Definately NOT somewhere in Africa, or somewhere outside the city. In both Dx and DX:IW the more exotic places were way less fun and had a less good atmosphere (outside Vandenberg in DX and Caïro in DX:IW).
-I'd like to revisit New York.
-I'd like to revisit Hong Kong or visit Tokyo.
-Somewhere in Europe would be cool, but not in an 'ancient' city like Trier. London would be nice.
-Moskou or some other big city in Russia.

WhatsHisFace
11th Dec 2007, 03:34
1.) It is a must to return to New York. Deus Ex 1 began and Deus Ex 2 ended on Liberty Island. It's only fitting to return there.

Hopefully, like Deus Ex 1, there is access to a city block as well.

2.) A high-tech lab/facility, could be located anywhere. Deus Ex is all about high-tech areas.

3.) Anywhere but Egypt.

Any other location should only be introduced because it's necessary for story progression. I don't think it's necessary to just put the character in a place for the sake of showing an exotic environment (a jungle-setting wouldn't make sense in Deus Ex gameplay-wise).

JoeGreensKiller
11th Dec 2007, 21:03
Id love to see somewhere in Canada mabe added..Toronto..the C.N tower would be an interesting rescue, and Las Vegas would be a neat place. Mabe Quebec you could include something about the Duclair heritage, ya I know the whole Paris thing...just an idea :)

JoeGreensKiller
11th Dec 2007, 21:12
Id also love to see another Ocean Lab, I guess ATLANTIS would be a tad far fetched lol;)

pKp
11th Dec 2007, 21:37
A small hick village ?
Cuba ?
Jerusalem, definitely.
And New York, but this time in a really posh neighborhood :D

WhatsHisFace
11th Dec 2007, 21:42
Id also love to see another Ocean Lab, I guess ATLANTIS would be a tad far fetched lol;)

Absolutely. There's something infinitely fascinating about Ocean Labs.

Much moreso than run-down countries like Jerusalem and Cuba. ;)

Freeker47
11th Dec 2007, 21:47
I would definately like to go to:

1) New York (Liberty Island), just like in the first game! (--> must have for every Deus Ex game!)
2) Tokio, as someone already mentioned...
3) Some mysterious place like Area 51. This has to add up with the whole conspiracy theme in the game ;)

JoeGreensKiller
11th Dec 2007, 21:54
Ya the Ocean Lab was my fav hands down, but I was thinking about and, there was AREA 51 and it is sort of shrowded in mystery, so im going to say ATLANTIS again, minus the far fetched.

midna1
15th Dec 2007, 18:06
In invisible war you had post-collapse safehold cities built on the ruins of classic old ones like Cairo. Most of the world population had been killed off and the remaining people are left impoverished and politicized. And it's all connected by some sort of super bandwidth internet for disseminating ideas.

Just make the cities bigger and have some sort of transport system like the amazing magLev in Minority Report that goes up buildings.

I would do a partially submerged Arcology in New York with rising sea level.
Or a huge corrupt Moscow city with a MagLev connecting the districts. So you have districts for:
housing
commerce
entertainment
industry: arms, technology, food manufacture etc

eddiegorey
15th Dec 2007, 18:29
I just hope that the game goes to distinctive real places. One of the coolest things about Deus Ex 1 were the New York levels that had such famous landmarks in them such as the Statue of Liberty and Castle Clinton. Even Hong Kong seemed real with the market and the apartment buildings. France was awesome as well.

Area 51 was kind of boring. That location has been in a million games.

In Deus Ex 2, the locations looked nothing like anything in the real world. The only exception was maybe the part in Germany. Seattle was really really bad. Cairo and Antarctica were stupid too.

Anywhere would be cool, as long as it seems like a real place. Washington DC would be amazing.

CarloGervasi
15th Dec 2007, 18:53
Los Angeles, DC, Moscow.

joseph5891
15th Dec 2007, 20:31
there was definitely a pattern to the settings in the deus ex games. you start off in secret base inside a major american city, then an emergency forces you into the main part of the city (most of the action taking place in the slums). then you hitch a ride to an "exotic" non-western location. then you wind up in a European city where you meet the head of the Illuminati and assault paramilitary troops holed up in a church. then pretty much the rest of the game plays out in secret labs and military bases.

and yeah, i'm poking fun at the cliche, but this motif seems to work. here are some ideas that i would like to see -

a southern city - like Dallas, or Atlanta. or hey - new Orleans. that would actually be perfect, with all of the paranoia arising after the shoddy government response to Katrina.

a major Indian city, like Bombay or Delhi. by the time that this game is set, India could very well be the 1st or 2nd largest economy in the world. this would also be an opportunity to play on the nuclear tensions between India and Pakistan. however, this would only work if DX3 were a prequel, because i think in DX1 there was a book stating that at some point India and Pakistan had actually exchanged nuclear warheads. so in case that doesn't work out, my backup choice is Moscow. you'd definitely have to deal with the Russian Mob, the FDR, and/or a political faction that wants to restore Communism. Maybe if you make certain in-game choices, they could send a Russian Intelligence Assasin after you.

A space station. maybe the ISS, maybe a base on the moon, but it would be so badass to have to assault a space station. i would really like the idea of being able to aquire a space suit and spacewalk out on the surface of the station. but the gravity would be so weak that if you jumped you would float away. and die.

WhatsHisFace
16th Dec 2007, 01:15
A space station. maybe the ISS, maybe a base on the moon, but it would be so badass to have to assault a space station. i would really like the idea of being able to aquire a space suit and spacewalk out on the surface of the station. but the gravity would be so weak that if you jumped you would float away. and die.

:mad2: That would be Deus Ex 3's "The Library". :mad2:

minus0ne
16th Dec 2007, 04:31
1. Amsterdam. I can't help it, but I'd love to see a future version of it. Perhaps part of the city is submerged (unlikely, but hey, sci-fi, right) or floating on the water like Venice. Masamune Shirow (of Ghost in the Shell, one of the main big influences on Deus Ex) often references Amsterdam/Netherlands in his manga's and animes (and so I've been curious to imagine what he thinks it'd be). I'd love to see some cyberpunk-canals, like Blade Runner meets Death in Venice :D . Also, being the (true) land of the free, not a bad place for a rebellion/underground, which would clash nicely with the whole Dutch banking scene (and of course, DX's secret societies).

2. Paris (re-, or rather pre-visit). And outskirts. Besides being a great excuse for having sensual-sounding French voice actresses, it has some of the most distinctive architecture and settings. Plus it's got that romantic-vibe, which they could totally turn on its head and make it grim and sober (much like DX, though before the whole martial law-thing)

3. CERN (Centre Européenne pour la Recherche Nucléaire). Besides being the world's largest particle physics lab, it's currently home to the most advanced scientific instrument known to man (the Large Hadron Collider), a 27-kilometre particle accelerator (which is in the process of discovering the elusive Higgs-Boson, or what makes matter matter). Imagine what sort of crazy **** they'll be doing there XX years from now.

4. Nagasaki and its bay island Dejima. Wayyyy better than Tokyo, which, besides having been done to death, actually would mean getting stuck in stereotypes about Japan. Besides, it's got major history.

5. St. Petersburg. I SPILL MY DRINK!. No seriously, cyberpunk St. Petersburg would be awesome.

6. Hong Kong. Yes please. I liked what I saw in DX, imagine what they could do now (even with a bigger hub).

7. A city in Pakistan and/or India (or both: a border region between the two) before (or during) the nuclear war between the two mentioned in DX.

8. A blimp. No really. But like a reaaaallly big one, that floats along the super currents way on the edge of the atmosphere. With who knows what for a purpose - communications, military. Or it could be like a 'last stop' on a space elevator (though going into space.. nah).

Though as long as they really make it well-thought out and detailed (which would increase replayability a lot), I trust them to pick some nice locations. Though I really hope they won't do Washington DC. In fact, other than NY no NA locations would be good.

phlebas
16th Dec 2007, 06:16
1)Hong Kong, or perhaps some area in the Korean peninsula (I'm surprised no one mentioned this)? If some place in Japan is to be chosen, go for Osaka. They also have a canal (sort of) flowing through the center city. Not to mention the Osaka Castle is such a beautiful place. Tokyo had already been done to death by everyone and their mothers...

2)New York City! I'm a bit biased about the issue, but I'd love to see my city in the future again. New York segment in DX1 was my favorite of all the locations.

3)Some location in a rapidly developing nation of today, the kind of obscure-yet-significant city/locale your average gamer won't even be aware of (not that average gamers are aware of much :rolleyes: ). How about Dubai? Or one of the three capital cities of South Africa (the republic, not the region)? India, Brazil, and Russia are all viable and very interesting options.

4)Of course, how would a DX game be complete without a tour through a European city? I'm particularly fond of my idea for this one. A location based around large, national-level library in Europe! (The one with books;) ) Maybe even abandoned? Think about it. A library of books in the era of universal nanolevel biomodification and world-running AI systems. Some of the books should be readable (like in DX1). Even in the digitized age, it's in human nature to keep around old books. Leonardo's journals and hieratic scripts won't suddenly lose meaning and significance just because everyone's linked to some sort of universal network, despite what some people seem to think these days.

As for aesthetic styles, I'm confident in the ability of the development team, considering the tract record proven in DX1 and DX:IW. Even though DX:IW was something of a disappointment gameplay-wise, the locations were still beautiful and warranted some moments of walking around gawking at the atmosphere of Seattle apartments, coffee house, and Cairo arcology. The music and the architecture in each locale had clear vision in mind (I think) that I could identify with.

Andariel
16th Dec 2007, 21:51
I havent read anything but as a die hard dx1 fan (i even enjoyed invis war, as long as i removed the deus ex from the title it was a nice futuristic arcade shooter, i should mention i buyed it like a month ago for 10 bucks and thought that i should had spent like 20, but then i buyed dx1 multiple times-oops-now the real piece)

Let me and all other players attend the libertys bombing, i wanna see it go boom (no matter the crying of the us politicians about video games, are you artists who do playable novels(dx1) or sissy whiney ea games?)

ThatDeadDude
17th Dec 2007, 18:35
Or one of the three capital cities of South Africa (the republic, not the region)?

Haha... this is what I was alluding to in my post... :D

For interests sake, South Africa is only a country, the region is called Southern Africa :)

Tyrant Worm
18th Dec 2007, 19:53
Tokyo
Amsterdam
Mecca, Riyadh, or Tehran
Sao Paulo or Rio de Janiero
Vladivostock or Oslo
Jerusalem
Pyongyang or Seoul
Washington D.C.
and of course . . . NYC

DOitlikeDEUSEX1
22nd Dec 2007, 04:34
Let me and all other players attend the libertys bombing, i wanna see it go boom (no matter the crying of the us politicians about video games, are you artists who do playable novels(dx1) or sissy whiney ea games?)

:eek: THAT WOULD BE AMAZING :eek:

DOitlikeDEUSEX1
22nd Dec 2007, 04:37
How about a peep show? More leg for more chits. Also, a "thriftiness" or "smart shopper" aug could save currency on this. :cool:

brambi
22nd Dec 2007, 13:23
Belgium
Paris
and some airplane that you need to infiltrate while it's in air.

In Belgium there would be a cool underbase silo, under the atomium.

http://www.kolesqueeste.nl/images/atomium2.jpg

wouldn't that be awesome ? :D

Jima B
22nd Dec 2007, 18:32
I would love to see Liberty Island make a third appearence... Would be quite good.
London would be another good one.
Dont know of any others I'd like to see, in all honesty.

Harakiribert
22nd Dec 2007, 20:31
Well, revisiting NY would be interesting, an old secluded japanese temple during cherry blossom time would give a great scenery, London has some potential,...

But wherever I have to go, it must make sense storywise. I mean, I don't want to travel across the world just for the sake of implementing all the continents in the game.

Newbie2356
22nd Dec 2007, 22:47
1: Australia... never before have they gone to australia in a dx game so it can be made however they want it to be, and the location in australia would be sydney but if you do do australia DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT have those stereotypical australian accents like they did in the hong kong club "Thanks for gettin' us in".

2: Definitely have to be new york city and the statue of liberty because we always went there in the first dx games and it would be cool to see the statue before its head was blown off or as a hologram in a dx game.

3: Area 51. As long as they dont give the main character amnesia after he goes there and i dont want it to be the last level either.

Those are my Top 3 :)

Well, revisiting NY would be interesting, an old secluded japanese temple during cherry blossom time would give a great scenery, London has some potential,...

But wherever I have to go, it must make sense storywise. I mean, I don't want to travel across the world just for the sake of implementing all the continents in the game.

The london part of the game could have some story in it by visiting Some secret areas underground. Or what about going to cardiff to see whats going on there maybe they could help get some powerful augmentations (eg: secret level 5 aug) that will help you get past some very tough obstacles.

Gunter Herman
22nd Dec 2007, 23:45
wouldn't that be awesome ? :D

Yes it would! Brussels/Atomium is really a brilliant idea - devs, please consider this! :thumbsup:

It would fit very well with DX style IMO.

gamer0004
25th Dec 2007, 11:33
and some airplane that you need to infiltrate while it's in air.

No please NO. JC IS NOT James Bond.

brambi
25th Dec 2007, 16:04
No please NO. JC IS NOT James Bond.

Haha, sorry, i never saw the James Bond movies so i didn't really knew that.

gamer0004
25th Dec 2007, 16:07
Well it's the kind of thing that happens in movies like that. Deus Ex is moe sophisticated :P .

Harakiribert
25th Dec 2007, 18:47
Well it's the kind of thing that happens in movies like that. Deus Ex is moe sophisticated :P .

Yeah, I can't imagine JC ordering his Fifty shaken, not stirred and I don't even want to imagine JC scoring with DX-Girl Anna Navarre. http://www.gamestar.de/community/gspinboard/images/smilies/huebscher.gif

JulianP
25th Dec 2007, 19:53
I don't really care what settings they decide to use, but I'd sure like to revisit at least one location from the original DX. A little nostalgy for the oldschoolers. :)

Deus Ex 3
26th Dec 2007, 22:12
Definitely India and why not Swizterland or Iceland.

piratecop
27th Dec 2007, 11:49
Laos - an almost 3rd world country with crazy environments like old buddhist temples, caves, waterfalls, dust roads etc with nano pimps running the streets and seedy nightclubs

Las Vegas - just imagine it

on a giant plane - that dudes right - it would be crazy and i dont know... would be sorta cool crawling around the surface with your mad nano tech and throwing bad guys into turbines and even an anti grav close quarters fight in a falling plane - EPIC

Alex D
3rd Jan 2008, 00:08
I'd say Russia because of the Omar. I would like to see more of them they seem pretty cool. Or Japan like some kind of underground Biomod thing. Or even Hong Kong if this is a Prequel

v.dog
3rd Jan 2008, 02:51
I'm going to have to re-itterate most of what has already been said; Hong Kong, Rome, NYC, Siberia (both for 'abandoned' cold war projects and modern hackers) , CERN, London, and Liberty island (I want to be there when it falls).

Other places I can think of:
Zurich: Where Einstein spent a good portion of his life.

Puerto Rico: Largest (single) radio telescope in the world.

Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center: China's manned space program.

jordan_a
3rd Jan 2008, 12:35
Paris, consider Montmartre

http://images.google.fr/images?hl=fr&q=montmartre&btnG=Recherche+d%27images&gbv=2

professen
3rd Jan 2008, 17:20
FIRST! The areas have to be larger. In IW you never had the feel of actually being in a city. If you can't explore, then there would be no sense in adapting actual cities... You can't recorgnise anyhing :mad2:

1. New York. A Gettho and a harbour area would be nice. If DX3 is settled before DX the actual bombing of the Statue of Liberty would be great... recorgnizeable places are always good. But as I said before: The area has to be big enought. Liberty Island was a bad Joke in IW.

2. Berlin. We Germans are always good for conflicts ;). But PLEASE! We do not live in the 15th century. Why would Trier look in 2072 older as it looks now? NONSENSE! So maybe some investigations in the heavily garded Reichstag. Again - if the action takes please before DX, then u could run into Gunther :)

3. Wladiwostok (A Russian City at the Pacific Ocean) We need some new (or rather old ;)) enemies. So let's take the Russians... As the city is nearly at sea lvl there could be a great flood. The player would have to struggle because of the Russian army and looters. There would be great waterfights.

PS: Sorry for my bad english :|

demagogue
6th Jan 2008, 22:39
Aside from reprising New York City, new places to go in DX3:

Tokyo, Tehran (or Istanbul), and London.

maddermadcat
7th Jan 2008, 00:57
Moscow for sure -- there are all sorts of abandoned tunnels and chambers under it, always with old Soviet experiments and such. You never know what might still be hiding down there. :]

Asia again, but not Hong Kong or Tokyo. Someplace new. Singapore comes to mind first, with the beneficial dictatorship... But I'm not sure about it. =P

That's all that I can think of for now, really.

Unstoppable
7th Jan 2008, 02:25
I want to go to Austrailia and maybe Alaska.

Mengioto
8th Jan 2008, 10:23
I think it would be cool to go to 'keulen' in germany (Köln) and into the chocolat museum ^^

and maybe the Colosseum in Rome or Tunis or something?

and Atlantis, I saw someone mention it on the first page, and I agree, that would be cool. But on the otherhand.. Maybe that's to much as a prequel.. Seeing as in the first one he discovers everything about everything (hope you know what I mean ^^)

--Mengioto

GundamXXX
8th Jan 2008, 13:26
Well I recon another Asian scene, preferably Japan (Tokyo, Kyoto w/e)

Maybe Amsterdam/Brussels(Seeing as its the political capitol of Europa, might be intresting to see what happend there)

As for a thing like Area 51 I think maybe you can mix it with Asia, in China theres a grave that has a massive conspiricy theory about it (the one with the terracota army)... maybe a base for an agency?

Wouldnt mind Australia either.
The Worlds Leading AI under Heir's Rock in the form of an aboriginal on the didge? Sounds fun to me

gamer0004
8th Jan 2008, 14:00
The Hague would be cool, too. They refer to it in DX (so it definately still exsists then :P), and there are some internation courts. So that would definately a place MJ-12 would want to control.

Mengioto
8th Jan 2008, 14:31
Yeah or Enschede^^ so that when you finished the map, you would be able to get flown out by chopper, it would explode! altho that would be a bit harsh :p

gamer0004
8th Jan 2008, 20:26
Yeah or Enschede^^ so that when you finished the map, you would be able to get flown out by chopper, it would explode! altho that would be a bit harsh :p

Lol. Enschede isn't the only city which's had a major fire-work disaster :P I believe there was one in Sydney, too.

GundamXXX
8th Jan 2008, 21:04
Pfff Enschede... Try China ;p

Id love to do The Hague, its my home town! xD
Also Melbourne/Sydney because its Australia is my home away from home :P

Iki
9th Jan 2008, 13:24
1. Tokyo. Might have something to do with the fact that I just got the Blade Runner boxset, but a slightly more futuristic Tokyo with bright neon and a hint of urban decay.

B. Somewhere more Utopian. For some reason I feel there should be contrasting locations. I doubt there's anything that particularly achieves that look yet. Something like the Taris upper-world in the first Knights of the Old Republic game.

Third. Tying in with the above, slums of some description. For some reason New York springs to mind, but I'm sure there are places better suited. Ruined buildings, boarded up warehouses... maybe somewhere just after a riot, I don't know.

Hell, as long as they keep non-linearity in there I don't mind. :) Although they could make it a bit more realistic... there's got to be some drawback to going through the sewers; enemies smelling you as you approach? :P

Zegano
10th Jan 2008, 05:43
London would be pretty awesome. Australia, maybe, although I don't think it would be very Deus Ex-y. Liberty Island is a MUST, and DC would be fitting.

Japan would make a great futuristic city, and its part of the Trilateral Commission, but its also a kind of obvious move. I think that it should have changed in the future, like gone through a depression or something, just as a surprise to those of us who'll see it and say "oh yeah, like I didn't see them cashing in on that one."

So maybe they should do some surprising places that have don't fit our expectations, like a shabby Tokyo or a super high tech Sydney (not that I expect Sydney to be crappy in the future). Just so long as it doesn't mess with whats already been lain down as back story in DX1.

DXJohnny1981
10th Jan 2008, 08:45
Well we need the typical DX settings such as urban areas, high tech labs and secret military bases. I want NYC in DX3 becaus it just seems like a big part of the DX world and it fits perfectly , other than that like someone else mentioned a space station would be cool but it would be futuristic with artificial gravity and large rooms and halls. I will also mention what I don't want as settings; jungle, forest, or tropical paradise, settings that don't fit the DX atmosphere.

gamer0004
10th Jan 2008, 13:57
A lot of options are nice, but I think it is very important that there are parts in the game where you're not fighting, like Hell's Kitchen at the beginning (not counting the fight with the NSF). A moment of "rest", but without it getting boring (there were still a lot of things to do, watch or join the big fight, helping the old men with the thugs etc.).

ThatDeadDude
10th Jan 2008, 19:36
Yeah, it's the sequences without much (if any) combat that create a lot of the DX atmosphere. I realised the other day that I've gotten so sick of games that are just "Run here, shoot these guys. Run there, shoot those guys," even if they have some sort of plot exposition in between. Being able to explore a society and ignore the whole combat thing for a while is a nice distraction.
Like a very cheap type of holiday abroad :D

hydro0083
12th Jan 2008, 04:11
Return to NYC: Hell's Kitchen was awesome. It would be great to go back. Also, if they're really setting this game in 2027, they could feature the bombing of Liberty Island as part of the plot. Maybe you could also meet some of the NYC characters from DX1 when they were younger.

Jerusalem: A fascinating, culturally-diverse holy city featuring Jews, Arabs and Christians; the DX games have always featured a fair amount of cultural diversity, so this would fit in brilliantly with DX3. Jerusalem also features a lot of important historic sites, like the Wailing Wall, the Church of the Sepulcher, and the Dome of the Rock, those would be fun to visit in-game. And some conspiracy theorists have connected the city to tbe Illuminati, so of course it would fit in well with DX3's story.

ThatDeadDude
12th Jan 2008, 14:59
Jerusalem: A fascinating, culturally-diverse holy city featuring Jews, Arabs and Christians; the DX games have always featured a fair amount of cultural diversity, so this would fit in brilliantly with DX3. Jerusalem also features a lot of important historic sites, like the Wailing Wall, the Church of the Sepulcher, and the Dome of the Rock, those would be fun to visit in-game. And some conspiracy theorists have connected the city to tbe Illuminati, so of course it would fit in well with DX3's story.

Only problem is it's a big temptation for the Devs to rehash the Da Vinci code.

imported_van_HellSing
12th Jan 2008, 15:09
How about Lagos? From the DX continuity bible:

Over the last fifty years, many Hong Kong expatriates have moved to Africa, resulting in the establishment of thriving Afro-Asian communities. (Afro-Asian chic is spreading rapidly through the worlds of pop culture and fashion). Though it will never displace Hong Kong, the New Hong Kong section of Lagos, Nigeria, is one of the continent's most active, successful and chaotic cities -- not unlike Casablanca during World War 2.

B0b_P@ge
12th Jan 2008, 17:39
(1) One location from Europe
(2) One location from East Asia
(3) One location taking place in Outer Space/Orbit

recon
15th Jan 2008, 08:26
well those who suggested Pakistan & india level are actually right. C'mon at this this time Pakistan is the only country who is making headline all over the group. Even in the movie Charlie Wilson's war Pakistan was part of a conspiracy in defeating the red army......

Asia without the South East Asia is nothing. The developers can add a backstory about OMAR who actually originated from this region because of a nuclear exchange from both India & Pakistan. The survivor had no other option but to embress biomod in order to survive!!!. Another twist of the story could be that the illuminati or Templers were actually responsible for the two country to attack each other and destroy in the process for new world order etc.

Historical significant can also be given as much of Indus Civilization [one of the oldest civilization of the world] is situated in the in this region. Archelogical dig suggest that at one point people whole over the world use to come to this place for higher education.

check this in wikipedia & infowar.com very interresting....

GundamXXX
15th Jan 2008, 17:17
I think Russia would be nice too
And Antartica only done properly this time :D

And maybe a diffrent city in USA

Or Montreal and you get to hear the conspiricies of Eidos :nut:

gamer0004
16th Jan 2008, 09:20
well those who suggested Pakistan & india level are actually right. C'mon at this this time Pakistan is the only country who is making headline all over the group. Even in the movie Charlie Wilson's war Pakistan was part of a conspiracy in defeating the red army......

Asia without the South East Asia is nothing. The developers can add a backstory about OMAR who actually originated from this region because of a nuclear exchange from both India & Pakistan. The survivor had no other option but to embress biomod in order to survive!!!. Another twist of the story could be that the illuminati or Templers were actually responsible for the two country to attack each other and destroy in the process for new world order etc.

Historical significant can also be given as much of Indus Civilization [one of the oldest civilization of the world] is situated in the in this region. Archelogical dig suggest that at one point people whole over the world use to come to this place for higher education.

check this in wikipedia & infowar.com very interresting....

The first Omar were from Russia.

AaronJ
16th Jan 2008, 21:11
1) Return to Hell's Kitchen
2) South Africa
3) Vegas

G.A.Pster
28th Jan 2008, 00:37
I’d like to see a flooded Netherlands that’s turned into some sort of Venice like country do to sea level rises.

I’d like to go to Africa where that cargo space ship crashed (I read it in one of the news papers in Deus Ex)

Russia/Eastern Europe

Japan of course.

I’d like some more info on zyme and some quests revolving around it.

B0b_P@ge
29th Feb 2008, 00:28
I’d like to see a flooded Netherlands that’s turned into some sort of Venice like country do to sea level rises.

I’d like to go to Africa where that cargo space ship crashed (I read it in one of the news papers in Deus Ex)

Russia/Eastern Europe

Japan of course.

I’d like some more info on zyme and some quests revolving around it.

Cool! I like those suggestions as well.

Gary_Savage
29th Feb 2008, 02:21
I would actually like to see Dubai (United Arab emirates, in the Middle East) in the game. With so many multi-national companies locating their Middle East headquarters in Dubai, it might actually fit as a place to gather intelligence about a large business fronted by an MJ12-like organization.

I would also like to see one mission in a third world country that has been badly by global warming, and is always trying to repair dikes to keep the country from getting flooded. A south East Asian country might do the job. [I am thinking about Bangladesh, as I have heard talk that global warming might require people to leave the small country; and with jungle warfare going on between Marxists and the Bangladesh army going on, it might fit in in a conspiracy.]

I cannot think of any other place, at the moment, but I would like a mission in which I can infiltrate an organization in the guise of an employee: a bit like the first Versalife mission in DX1, where someone thought you were a contractor. Here I would like to see my character actually having a position in the organization, and gathering intelligence from within; kind of like when JC was working for UNATCO, and gathering information like the UNATCO's excessive use of force, the existence of a level beyond the doctor's office, the outside manipulation of UNATCO (Walton Simons), though he did not realize then that that would further the story. [I do not know if DX:IW did this, but I never found a machine that can play it.]

gamer0004
29th Feb 2008, 13:57

We'll come up with solutions to that ;) BTW: there are plans to have floating houses on the rivers. That's be awesome.

pauldenton
29th Feb 2008, 18:30
1. London and the secret underground military tunnels and bunkers built during the second world war and for recognition the London underground and a destroyed St Pauls/big ben.

2. China and the underground tomb/city complete with magnesium rivers, built for the emperor and his terracota army.

NOT space, space is not Deus ex.

Blade_hunter
29th Feb 2008, 19:33
Paris: I loved the levels in france and it's the way to use some transports and get a level in the Eiffel tower, some museums and more!
Area 51: This location is one important element of DX and the birthplace of some aliens, nano augmented agents, and some prototype technologies
The moon !: In the future the humans maybe build a moon base this is an oportunity to add more mysterious and Sci-Fi thing and elements for the story too

I like the others places posed before they give some exotism and enhance the story line

The game can use some Huge places and these places are parts of a city or Entire city. I hope Huge places can be used in the game

lightbringerrr
29th Feb 2008, 20:08
South America: Aztec and Mayan Ruins.

Egypt: Giza Plateau.

India: Taj Mahal.

San Francisco, Santa Cruz, or even LA: I'd like to see some SUN in this game for once.

Venice or Rome

Prauge or Budapest, hell even Romania. Anywhere in Eastern Europe.

And screw Area 51, I want my final showdown to take place at S-4!!!

BOOYA!

SageSavage
29th Feb 2008, 20:26
I'd hate it if it became a sight-seeing tour... and I'd also hate it if there would be sunny levels. Eastern Europe is fine though.

Angel/0A
29th Feb 2008, 20:29
I'd also hate it if there would be sunny levels.

QFT, how are you supposed to be stealthy in broad daylight? :P

Gary_Savage
1st Mar 2008, 02:10
QFT, how are you supposed to be stealthy in broad daylight? :P

Actually, I like the idea of a daylight stealth mission. One way to achieve stealth might be to blend in with the crowds, like in Assassin's Creed (I have only heard about the concept, so don't kill me if that did not achieve its desired effect).

If the AI is set to detect movement (like I hear the human mind/eye is) then another way to achieve stealth in daylight (over long distances) would be to stop moving when the guards are looking in your direction, and then moving when they look elsewhere. I would very much like that because I think it will give a sense of stalking a quarry; an idea I find very exciting. I would like a mission in which you might use this technique to infiltrate a facility by day, so as to avoid its array of infra-red/nightvision sensors by night. Just a suggestion.

Azrepheal
1st Mar 2008, 02:16
London - Because I live here :p And cos itd be cool to have one of the landmarks in a level (Houses of Parliament, St Pauls, Buckingham Palace etc)

Vienna - Beautiful European city

Ok - so its apparent underwater bases are loved... and its been suggested (although not to everyones joy) that theres a level in space... why not combine the two? A FRIGGIN SPACE STATION THATS CRASHED INTO THE OCEAN! You gotta admit, thats badass. If it contains information or an item, that clears up any plot for taking a detour to it, plus a crashed space station gives an excuse to have it half flooded and malfunctioning a la the underwater level in DX1.

Eidos - I expect my letter of employment in the mail any day now XP

Gary_Savage
1st Mar 2008, 02:24
Ok - so its apparent underwater bases are loved... and its been suggested (although not to everyones joy) that theres a level in space... why not combine the two? A FRIGGIN SPACE STATION THATS CRASHED INTO THE OCEAN! You gotta admit, thats badass. If it contains information or an item, that clears up any plot for taking a detour to it, plus a crashed space station gives an excuse to have it half flooded and malfunctioning a la the underwater level in DX1.

Eidos - I expect my letter of employment in the mail any day now XP

I actually like this idea; never thought I would have. I am not sure if you implied this, as well, but I think it would be great if the agency/company/group who space station had crashed in water had actually setup a base adjacent to the crash site, and had removed the water from some of the submerged compartments. These compartments could have working labs and offices. That way the station can feel like the Ocean-labs level, with some of the places flooded, like in the DX1 level after that.

Azrepheal
1st Mar 2008, 02:32
I actually like this idea; never thought I would have. I am not sure if you implied this, as well, but I think it would be great if the agency/company/group who space station had crashed in water had actually setup a base adjacent to the crash site, and had removed the water from some of the submerged compartments. These compartments could have working labs and offices. That way the station can feel like the Ocean-labs level, with some of the places flooded, like in the DX1 level after that.

Hadn't thought of that, but certainly puts an interesting spin on things! If there was something inside that was important to your character it would be a good level for multiple paths (go through the 'cleared' offices, but you'd have to fight the agency members working there, or go through the still flooded sections - no soldiers, but more 'natural' dangers) If you brought the factors of the agents trying to retrieve what you are after - plus the damage from re-entry and water pressure - would make a for a sweet 'race-against-time' level (get what you need before the structure collapses / floods completely).

Gary_Savage
1st Mar 2008, 02:43
Hadn't thought of that, but certainly puts an interesting spin on things! If there was something inside that was important to your character it would be a good level for multiple paths (go through the 'cleared' offices, but you'd have to fight the agency members working there, or go through the still flooded sections - no soldiers, but more 'natural' dangers) If you brought the factors of the agents trying to retrieve what you are after - plus the damage from re-entry and water pressure - would make a for a sweet 'race-against-time' level (get what you need before the structure collapses / floods completely).

I'm probably getting carried away, here, but reading your words "'natural' dangers," I was thinking that maybe the player character's hitting/scraping against the walls and floors in the underwater compartments can result in the water getting murky, with silt. Do this too much, and the water will get so murky that even your flashlight will not let you see any clearer. I've read that wreak divers have to contend with something like this all the time (Book: Shadow Divers, by Robert Kurson). If the water is too murky, and you cannot see, then you risk running out of oxygen before you find an exit, or the supports/structure starts collapsing in on you (your "race-against-time").

If this system sounds too complicated, then maybe some of the compartments can always be murky, some murkier than others, so players can only navigate compartments based on their swimming skills. The frenzy for finding an exit in a compartment that practically has you running/swimming blind might really feel like a race against time.

pauldenton
1st Mar 2008, 03:30

pretty neat idea, i would have an underwater lab next to a crashed underwater, not quite safe crashed in the sea, space station. where some recovery has been taking place.

lightbringerrr
1st Mar 2008, 06:03
Actually, I like the idea of a daylight stealth mission. One way to achieve stealth might be to blend in with the crowds, like in Assassin's Creed (I have only heard about the concept, so don't kill me if that did not achieve its desired effect).

If the AI is set to detect movement (like I hear the human mind/eye is) then another way to achieve stealth in daylight (over long distances) would be to stop moving when the guards are looking in your direction, and then moving when they look elsewhere. I would very much like that because I think it will give a sense of stalking a quarry; an idea I find very exciting. I would like a mission in which you might use this technique to infiltrate a facility by day, so as to avoid its array of infra-red/nightvision sensors by night. Just a suggestion.

Absolutely! Why do we always gotta' be skulking around in the shadows??? I thought the levels in the Arcology, with the light of dusk outside were cool. I want to explore that!
I swear, it's like ever since The Matrix, everything has to be gray or black in this particular realm of gaming. I'm sick of it.

gamer0004
1st Mar 2008, 12:03

It's not a very original idea, but cool anyway.
If it's not going to be a "race against time"kind of thing.
That was what I really liked about DX: you could take your time. And I don't want that to be lost in DX3.

About all the sunny maps and Aztecs-things: you're at the wrong forums. You're looking for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune forums or Thief 4 forums... Not DX3. DX was all about dark and gritty environments, about modern and even futuristic machinery.

~[ß]Síke~
1st Mar 2008, 14:37
Helsinki, Finland would kick ass :D

lightbringerrr
1st Mar 2008, 15:43
It's not a very original idea, but cool anyway.
If it's not going to be a "race against time"kind of thing.
That was what I really liked about DX: you could take your time. And I don't want that to be lost in DX3.

About all the sunny maps and Aztecs-things: you're at the wrong forums. You're looking for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune forums or Thief 4 forums... Not DX3. DX was all about dark and gritty environments, about modern and even futuristic machinery.

Well, since it will be the developers deciding these things and not you, I believe I'll NOT put DX3 in some convienent same old, same old box, and let the chips fall where they may.

mouse
1st Mar 2008, 16:06
hi guys (and gals?), I really like most of your ideas and agree.
Nevertheless the most important aspect in chosing a location is to do it consistent with the story line. A sightseeing tour through some spectacular locations around the globe s contraproductive IMO unless the player wants to pay tribute to Phileas Fogg (great story of Jule Verne, though).

Deus Ex should take place in urban settings with dense population, office towers, stores/malls etc. with multicultural streetlife, restaurants, night-clubs etc...

Joseph Manderley's Corpse
1st Mar 2008, 16:07
Heheh.

Yeah, I agree. No need for modern/futuristic Judaeo-Christian/Islamic conflict. That would actually hurt the game and (dare I say) the purity of the Deus Ex story. Deus Ex really doesn't need it and can't really benefit from it.

I think the story should draw on Islamic terrorism. Perhaps the baseline of the story could be made from some obscure conspiracy found in that ongoing problem.

SageSavage
1st Mar 2008, 16:32
Well, it could... but nobody will touch this hot potatoe anytime soon and I wouldn't do that myself if I were a dev. It would be about religion and there are way too many real fundamentalists envolved, you know... Remember what happened when this danish newspaper printed the Mohammd-caricatures? Christian fundamentalists aren't better at all and serious messing with the Bush-administration or any of the global elite suckers won't be that harmless too. I am not a coward and I say what I believe in but as developer I wouldn't risk all that for a game.

mouse
1st Mar 2008, 17:11
Well, it could... but nobody will touch this hot potatoe anytime soon and I wouldn't do that myself if I were a dev. It would be about religion and there are way too many real fundamentalists envolved, you know... Remember what happened when this danish newspaper printed the Mohammd-caricatures? Christian fundamentalists aren't better at all and serious messing with the Bush-administration or any of the global elite suckers won't be that harmless too. I am not a coward and I say what I believe in but as developer I wouldn't risk all that for a game.

additionally I don't want DX3 to be the game which is known by the majority of people as 'the game which insulted our beliefs, stirred anger etc.'. I jsut want to have a great game with a sophisticated and elaborated backgrond story :cool:

gamer0004
1st Mar 2008, 18:59
Well, since it will be the developers deciding these things and not you, I believe I'll NOT put DX3 in some convienent same old, same old box, and let the chips fall where they may.

Don't get me wrong: I do not want a remake of DX1. I just want a new DX. And what DX was (in my opinion) dark feeling, lots of choices, great storyline, modern machinery but not too sci-fi.
And I want that to be kept.

Gary_Savage
1st Mar 2008, 20:41
additionally I don't want DX3 to be the game which is known by the majority of people as 'the game which insulted our beliefs, stirred anger etc.'. I jsut want to have a great game with a sophisticated and elaborated backgrond story :cool:

I agree with that. I don't want anything in the game about any religious group, historical, or fictional.

1st Mar 2008, 22:13

It would be fun traveling the world and breaking up muslim terrorist groups in a virtual world would be a blast.

Hell, we had games in the late 80's early 90's that were all about nuking the USSR into oblivion.

Gary_Savage
2nd Mar 2008, 00:48
It would be fun traveling the world and breaking up muslim terrorist groups in a virtual world would be a blast.

Hell, we had games in the late 80's early 90's that were all about nuking the USSR into oblivion.

Unfortunately, if the developers decide to do that then they will have to delve very deeply into the teachings of Islam, so as not to offend the non-terrorist majority of Muslims.

At the time when games were made about fighting Soviet forces the US and the USSR were at a stand-off (or something like that).

In the present day world, however, you have the US being allied with countries that have certain terrorist elements. A storyline deep enough to satisfy the DX1 fans (I have not played DX:IW) will require examining the faith and motivations of these terrorists (through in-game books, data cubes, etc.) very deeply; much too deeply than a game can afford, unless you want the game to be an education in Islam, which I am not sure is what most people are looking for in a game. If the game tries to show what the terrorists believe, then that will leave the majority of the practitioners of Islam offended, while if the game portrays a truer picture of Islam, then it will be too difficult to show what motivates the terrorists. In any case, I doubt that what the game can show can be extensive enough, thus leaving us with a rather hollow game, with an unpolished storyline, and a half-baked picture of any religion that the game tries to bring up. I am sure the same problems will arise if the game tries to shows terrorists that say they follow any other faith. So, I would suggest leaving any terrorist group that says it follows any existing religion out of the game.

lightbringerrr
2nd Mar 2008, 03:52
I think the story should draw on Islamic terrorism. Perhaps the baseline of the story could be made from some obscure conspiracy found in that ongoing problem.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no( taking a breath ), no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and did I mention GOD NO to that proposal!
Factions, groups, ideologies, and creeds are secondary elements to the Deus Ex Universe. The focal point has been, and always should be on The Human Condition.
I DO NOT want some Islamo-Bashing, futuristic version of 'Red Dawn'. The movie chomps enough chota as it is, I DON'T want to play it, and ESPECIALLY not if it comes with DX tag.

NO GOOD. Moving on; NEXT!!!

pauldenton
2nd Mar 2008, 04:28
i dont want religion in the game as they did that with invisible war and it sucked.

Illuminati
2nd Mar 2008, 12:36
Looking at the storyline and the places it takes place there should be a connection to these like there was in both DX games.

There is a reason why both games start in the US. Looking at real conspiracy theories the US was "the promised land" for the Illuminati when it was first founded. Many old Illuminati (coming from Europe) ended up in the US as it was a promise of a new world that they could shape and infiltrate on every different level. Their involvement in the founding of the US and now the government of the country, combined with their founding of corporations and businesses to control the financial sector as well as the government makes them a pwerfull faction.
U see in both games a corporization of the world, stemming from the US, which is why starting the game in a major US city works with the storyline.

The next city in DX1 was Hong Kong. This, I think, symbolizes the creation of new technology combined with an ethic of socialistic ideas. As Tracer Tong wants to make government comprehensible to the individual.

This same socialist ethic is revisited in Cairo in DX2. Where u are faced with the results of corporization and how it effects societys. Showing u how money and power is distributed more and more unequally, as the world is built to resemble a business more than a social convention.

Both story's visit old European city's, to connect to the roots of the Illuminati. Showing the gamer how, why and where old alliances where forged. Giving more and more depth to the story.

Having said all this, I don't really care where the makers take us. As long as it speaks to the mind that it connects to the storyline. What made the game so great to me (mainly DX1) is that it forced me to think about my own values and beliefs. The way to connect to these values was done well by using meaningfull sites, especially Hong Kong.
I like the idea of Jerusalem very much as it reflects the very founding of the Templar.

Illuminati
2nd Mar 2008, 12:46
i dont want religion in the game as they did that with invisible war and it sucked.

I find it hard to see why so many people reject religion in the game..
How can u want a game about Illuminati and conspiracys dating back a thousand years ago but leave religion out of it!

Religion has played a huge part of the world's history, especially in the founding of secret societies. Religion is a powerfull thing.. Look at the world today..

Not to mention how the Vatican has affected Europe and how Islamic religion has shaped many many countries.

Im absolutely not for a Western Judea-Christian VS Eastern Islamic belief struggle, as I think it has nothing to do with the Illuminati. I do like the idea of religion as a whole into the story. Not a religion A vs Religion B thing as I think is pointless.

P.S. I don't think the religeous storyline in DX2 was what made the game a bit disappointing. They could use Religion very well if they did it right and looked at historical facts more.

mouse
2nd Mar 2008, 12:51
an absolute must is a 'secret' research facility of some kind... be it on the moon, nevada or in antarctica...

I like the part of the story when the main character traced his origins to the place where he was devised and made. So labs are the places, where mysteries are revealed, the story could make a turn, etc...

Moreover such science labs offer a nice loot of weapons, mods and whatnot :)

mouse
2nd Mar 2008, 13:01
How can u want a game about Illuminati and conspiracys dating back a thousand years ago but leave religion out of it!

Religion has played a huge part of the world's history, especially in the founding of secret societies. Religion is a powerfull thing.. Look at the world today..

Not to mention how the Vatican has affected Europe and how Islamic religion has shaped many many countries.

Im absolutely not for a Western Judea-Christian VS Eastern Islamic belief struggle, as I think it has nothing to do with the Illuminati. I do like the idea of religion as a whole into the story. Not a religion A vs Religion B thing as I think is pointless.

P.S. I don't think the religeous storyline in DX2 was what made the game a bit disappointing. They could use Religion very well if they did it right and looked at historical facts more.

agreed.... I think that DX2 was benefitting from the conceot of the order church. The idea to channelize the beliefs and spiritual wants of people to increase your own power is something which has happened and happens throughout history.

What I dont want is that there's some featherbrained 'war on terror attitude' with to close resamblance on recent problems...

The devs should extrapolate the current conflicts into a nearby future (as global companies vs. local workers or religious/authoritarian vs. anarchism )

SageSavage
2nd Mar 2008, 13:03
How can u want a game about Illuminati and conspiracys dating back a thousand years ago but leave religion out of it! Religion has played a huge part of the world's history, especially in the founding of secret societies. Religion is a powerfull thing.. Look at the world today..

That's not what I meant. Using some historic facts in order to support a story about secret societies is a great idea. But that's basically because that doesn't bother most of the followers of the world religions thus the risk of provoking an unwanted extreme reaction is very low. Of course that doesn't mean that it would be ok to bash an minority or anything like that but that's not what Deus Ex ever did anyway.

Illuminati
2nd Mar 2008, 13:54
That's not what I meant. Using some historic facts in order to support a story about secret societies is a great idea. But that's basically because that doesn't bother most of the followers of the world religions thus the risk of provoking an unwanted extreme reaction is very low. Of course that doesn't mean that it would be ok to bash an minority or anything like that but that's not what Deus Ex ever did anyway.

My post wasnt really meant for you :) In fact i think u and me are in agreement. I don't want the story to draw on any specific religion or clash of religion's except to deepen an illuminati-plotline.

B0b_P@ge
2nd Mar 2008, 18:42

Excellent idea! Finally a use for my beloved aqualung ;)

... I still don't mind a space-based level in geostationary orbit on board some sort of space platform.

2nd Mar 2008, 23:27
Unfortunately, if the developers decide to do that then they will have to delve very deeply into the teachings of Islam, so as not to offend the non-terrorist majority of Muslims.

Muslims are too sensitive. They get offended by cartoons.

Seems they spend their lives looking for things to be offended by. Personally, I'm sick of hearing about it.

minus0ne
3rd Mar 2008, 00:25

Seems they spend their lives looking for things to be offended by. Personally, I'm sick of hearing about it.
Wow. Did you know the exact same holds true for Christians?

With the exception that Christians are way more annoying and tend to get things (such as games) banned.

Fook all religions equally, I say. A certain Emile Zola saying springs to mind; "Civilization will not attain perfection until the last stone from the last church falls on the last priest".

3rd Mar 2008, 00:43
Wow. Did you know the exact same holds true for Christians?

With the exception that Christians are way more annoying and tend to get things (such as games) banned.

Fook all religions equally, I say. A certain Emile Zola saying springs to mind; "Civilization will not attain perfection until the last stone from the last church falls on the last priest".

Yeah I suppose they can all be equally bad, but in the present times, it aint Christians who are blowing themselves up at weddings and cafe's, or beheading journalists on video and posting it on the internet.

Back to the topic though, Israel, India, Pakistan, and maybe Greece would be great locations, with an HQ in NYC.

lightbringerrr
3rd Mar 2008, 01:17
How I would love to respond to the both of you, but it would take an essay, and this isn't the place.

3rd Mar 2008, 02:22
How I would love to respond to the both of you, but it would take an essay, and this isn't the place.

Well, I guess that means your desire to respond isn't all that great. Besides, I wouldn't bother reading an essay on an internet forum anyway. Too long.

Regardless, I think it would sell well.

Gary_Savage
3rd Mar 2008, 03:24

Let's face it, some people are more sensitive about certain issues, than others. In South Asia people are sensitive about religion. I had a friend who would get offended by anyone singing "Jingle bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg..." and other such stuff that was on the media, saying that it was an offence to Christianity. But that does not make followers of any one religion too sensitive. It's not like my friend was watching TV, just looking for something to get offended by.

Yeah I suppose they can all be equally bad, but in the present times, it aint Christians who are blowing themselves up at weddings and cafe's, or beheading journalists on video and posting it on the internet.

Come on, any news organization focuses more on some places, than others, perhaps giving the impression that other places are calmer. On top of that, it's usually bad elements who make it to the news. So while most Muslims did not take part in any violence about the said cartoons, and a few (compared to the world's Muslim population) protested (perhaps because Islam forbids the depiction of Prophet Muhammad in pictures, or perhaps for other reasons which I will not know, since I have not seen the cartoons), it's the violence that made news.

As for suicide bombing, ETA has done them, the IRA has done them, the Tamil Tigers have done them (http://www.zurich.com/main/productsandsolutions/industryinsight/2005/april2005/industryinsight20050413_004.htm), so I don't think that such tactics are the chosen acts of killers claiming to profess one faith only. So I wouldn't judge the people of a particular faith by the skewed beliefs of a few fanatics. In fact, there are groups who have managed to kill and maim thousands of people, despite having some of their attempts thwarted. You might remember the 20th March, 1995, the Aum Shinrikyo perpetrated a Sarin Gas attack in Japan. More than 5000 people were hurt that day, and the perpetrators here were not Muslim, either. Now, if people keep holding grudges against entire groups for the actions of a few, then Muslims and Jews will always hold grudges against Christians over the Crusades, and vice versa. I remember seeing a rabbi, on CNN, and he was talking about it like it only happened yesterday. I'm quite sure that that sort of thinking will not bring about anything positive.

Well, let's not be so harsh on any religion.

Regardless, I think it would sell well.

Maybe, or maybe not, but I would not pay for a game that does injustice (perhaps even unintentionally) to any religion.

Back to the topic though, Israel, India, Pakistan, and maybe Greece would be great locations, with an HQ in NYC.

Come to think of it, I like the idea of Greece. Maybe a mission to interpret the symbolism behind the inscriptions on something the player character picked up on a recon mission, or does that sound too much like a military sim?

Speaking of which, does anyone remember the game Operation Flashpoint? I really liked some elements in that game, and would like to see them in DX 3. I liked that you could stand, or crouch, or get prone. I liked 2 stand alone missions that took place at night:
1) you have to use nightvision to get past guards and dogs to mine/bomb a passing supply truck.
2) you have to laser designate a bridge for destruction.

I know that the second kind of mission might be far fetched for a DX game, but the first kind felt really gritty, and I think it did a better job of using open terrain than what DX1 did in the Tiffany (Savage's daughter) rescue mission. Any desert/semi arid environment (Nevada springs to mind) would be great if DX3 will have such a sneak, bomb, and run mission.

Joe_Blow
6th Mar 2008, 08:20

Those people who have been beheaded, as sad and cruel as it is, knew the danger they were taking when they went over to the middle east. But if you think "Christians" are so perfect, I think you didn't pay attenion in history classes stoner, "Christians" were the ones who burned thousands of people at the stake because they thought they were witches or wizards. Wasn't it the "Christians" who went to the middle east during the crusade and try to kill and convert all of the Muslims. And wasn't it the "Christians" who went and bombed the Abortion Centers because killing a fetus is against "their" religion and beliefs, but not against the beliefs of other. But light bringer (spelled it wrong up top) had it right.

Peace yall

Xcom
6th Mar 2008, 09:28
How did this turn into religious flamefest? :scratch:

Seriously, guys, please think before you post... I don't want to close this thread. If you want to debate religion, this isn't the place.

pauldenton
6th Mar 2008, 13:19
Indeed.

6th Mar 2008, 13:32
Those people who have been beheaded, as sad and cruel as it is, knew the danger they were taking when they went over to the middle east. But if you think "Christians" are so perfect, I think you didn't pay attenion in history classes stoner, "Christians" were the ones who burned thousands of people at the stake because they thought they were witches or wizards. Wasn't it the "Christians" who went to the middle east during the crusade and try to kill and convert all of the Muslims. And wasn't it the "Christians" who went and bombed the Abortion Centers because killing a fetus is against "their" religion and beliefs, but not against the beliefs of other. But light bringer (spelled it wrong up top) had it right.

Peace yall

lol....ancient history, sport. this is 2008. And BTW, I'm not "religious"....just making an observation.

OK...I'm done.:nut:

lightbringerrr
6th Mar 2008, 14:31
Indeed.

The motion is seconded and passed with a majority vote.

Joe_Blow
6th Mar 2008, 14:58
Im was cranky. My motherboard was nagging me.

Gary_Savage
6th Mar 2008, 16:08
Alright, everyone, back to the topic:

I say, again, I like the idea of Greece; I would like to see the area around the Old Athena Temple. I was thinking the main character could have found a copy of part of a tablet from a temple there, during a mission elsewhere, and had to go to Greece to see the res of the tablet, so as to decipher things. Perhaps the tablet holds a decryption key.

Any yeas, nays, or counter-suggestions?

gamer0004
6th Mar 2008, 17:47
As in Greece there are almost no intact temple's anymore (the Parthenon is one of the best most intact temple's and that one has been blown up around the year 1400). People always think of the temple's when they think of Greece, but the foundation and some pieces of stone are often the only thing that's left.

Gary_Savage
6th Mar 2008, 17:54
As in Greece there are almost no intact temple's anymore (the Parthenon is one of the best most intact temple's and that one has been blown up around the year 1400). People always think of the temple's when they think of Greece, but the foundation and some pieces of stone are often the only thing that's left.

Actually, I meant a visit to the ruins (I thought some of the pillars were still there, from some documentary).

If too little of these ruins are left, then how about a visit to the underwater ruins near Alexandria, in Egypt?

NOTE To DEVELOPERS: Please let us know when your decisions on locations have been set in stone, so we can concentrate on the more pertinent topics of that time.

gamer0004
7th Mar 2008, 07:33
Actually, I meant a visit to the ruins (I thought some of the pillars were still there, from some documentary).

If too little of these ruins are left, then how about a visit to the underwater ruins near Alexandria, in Egypt?

NOTE To DEVELOPERS: Please let us know when your decisions on locations have been set in stone, so we can concentrate on the more pertinent topics of that time.

There are still quite a lot of ruins, don't get me wrong, but a lot of them aren't very interesting.

What about Atlantis? There are some clues about it and some people think it existed or still exists. An underwater research lab? :P

nullassult
8th Mar 2008, 04:55
My favorite places in Deus Ex were the city environments. Places that were real looking. Places that you could visit if you wanted. It made the story and setting realistic and believable even though there were things in the story that were far fetched. So, my list is:

1. NEW YORK!
2. Chicago.
3. Eastern Europe.
4. I like the idea of D.C.

lightbringerrr
8th Mar 2008, 05:23
Tijuana! :D

Hufterkruk
8th Mar 2008, 17:17
If Deus Ex 3 will be in the future, but before Deus Ex 1, I'd love to see Arnhem in the Netherlands. Because I live there, and perhaps it would be a seashore city then, because of global warming and sea levels rising.

Else I'd love to go to Moscow or something in that neighbourhood.

gamer0004
8th Mar 2008, 19:58
If Deus Ex 3 will be in the future, but before Deus Ex 1, I'd love to see Arnhem in the Netherlands. Because I live there, and perhaps it would be a seashore city then, because of global warming and sea levels rising.

Why Arnhem? It's the most uninspired city of the world (of the Netherlands anyway) :P

Edx
9th Mar 2008, 16:28

Lots of "i speel my drink!" people loooool

Vestu
9th Mar 2008, 22:43
1. NYC

2. Moscow

3. A short, nightly visit in Helsinki.

4. Delhi

5. Paris

6. Rome

7. Tokyo / Kyoto / Osaka

8. Atlantis

Gary_Savage
10th Mar 2008, 01:20
4. Delhi

Robert Baer, in his book "See No Evil," talks about Delhi/Dehli, if I remember right, as a place where you would find someone shadowing you at every corner. I think I would like that in a DX game. I'm not sure what I would want the observers to do with their observations, but being under constant surveillance and carrying out a stealth mission would be fun.

Church_Of_Stevedave
10th Mar 2008, 10:36
1. Visible weapon upgrades!!!!! Sites, larger mags, rail reinforment etc. I dont know why this hasnt been featured in many games, but having a visible change to you're weapons when you upgrade them is glorious. Hitman Blood Money, Bioshock and Resi 4 are great examples of games that gained loads of character and personalisation by actually showing the changes to you're weapons.

2. I want to earn my way through the game. What really got me in IW was that you just randomly bumped into Tracer Tong in a bar in Trier, whereas in DE1 you really had to earn his trust before you met him. That was not only much more realistic but made meeting him much more worthwhile.

3. Finally..... DAYLIGHT!!! I do so love the night time-ness of both games, however I really think a bit of daylight would really add to the game. I mean, regardless of you're opinion of the game itself, the intro to IW was amazing (for its time) and the daylight scene in Seatle was really stunning. Daylight would add some much needed depth.

Church_Of_Stevedave
10th Mar 2008, 10:44
Im a muppet. :D

But in that case:

1. Rome (conspiracy central!!!)

2. Africa, mainly because in both games there is the achetype 'secret lab', and we've had deep sea and antartica, methinks a jungle based lab would be a logical and awesome step.

2. Moscow or just somewhere in Russia, I really loved the OMAR in IW and i think some hinting as to their origins would be glorious.

And again much apologies for my lack of attention, I blame monday mornings.

Church_Of_Stevedave
10th Mar 2008, 10:46
Jurusalem, very much inspired by assassins creed, but with the Knights Templar and the Illuminati, Jurusalem could be a great setting.

Assassins ahoy anyone?

W.S.
10th Mar 2008, 18:36
U.N.A.T.C.O HQ NYC Liberty Island!! What a magic moment in IW to visit these well known chambers again. Great idea but really screwed up.

However, i'd love to get there again, see new interior, people, life in old accomodations. Even if it won't be exactly THAT HQ (because unatco didnt exist in prequel) or if it would become abstracted beyond recognition, the ground plan itself would enthuse me.

Gary_Savage
10th Mar 2008, 18:39
Jurusalem, very much inspired by assassins creed, but with the Knights Templar and the Illuminati, Jurusalem could be a great setting.

Assassins ahoy anyone?

You know, I've always wanted to suggest Jerusalem, but was afraid because of the possible religious connotations. If a story can be set with a group that does not have any ties to an existing/established religion there, then I am all for it. I would walk around all over the map for miles around, and use binoculars to zoom in, to see from all angles the great places of history, tradition, and worship that are located there (like the Dome of the Rock), even if the game does not allow me to actually enter these places, not wanting to put a conspiracy smack center in a house of worship. A day time mission there might be even better: I'm sure it will give a much better view of the Wailing Wall, and Al-Aqsa Mosque.

I only support having Jerusalem as long as religions are kept out of this [maybe factions that use the names of religions, for their benefits, but not the religions, themselves]. Much as I would like to see the Templars, I am not sure if I would like them brought into the story in Jerusalem, since I take it they were religiously affiliated at some point; correct me if I am wrong, especially since I am hazy on this, having read both, that they were devout, and that they were heretics.

O, and where can I learn more about the Assassins? I found a book, once, about a journey (and stay) that an American woman made to the hills where the Assassins had their strongholds; but the chapter mainly talked about the ruins, and the lifestyle of the local people currently living there: not much on the Assassins, themselves.

P.S. While on the subject of books, how about my player character actually finds books that people talk about, in the game? That could add to the conversation, and maybe even the storyline. That might even be better role-playing. I really hated it, in DX1, when my character said "I'm not big into books." I would not want my character saying something like that, unless I chose to ignore all the books lying around, entirely.

Church_Of_Stevedave
11th Mar 2008, 08:50
Well im a Classics a student, so what im doing is a little before the Assassin period. However basically I know of two avenues you can persue if you're interested. One is too take the factual, historical stand point and find books on the crusades. The Richard the Lionheart period, so just the before the 1200s. However ultimately this is going to feature little on the assassins as most 'knowledge' about them is based on inference.

However I suggest going for the speculative (and sometime downright random) angles. As no one really knows anything solid about the assassins, most books about them are you're typical conspiracy books. But as we're all avid Deus Ex fans that shouldn't be a problem. Look for books by David Icke (perhaps spelled differently...), but ignore the purple tracksuit and the mullet. He's the guy who believes giant blood drinking lizards rule the world :D

You'll find those books near the religion/mind and body section of any bookshop i think.

mike-rs
12th Mar 2008, 11:12
Being new I can't be sure if this has been suggested since I only have skimmed over the posts and seen a trend. People seem to want a European city, somewhere in Asia and a secret facility somewhere. So here are my suggestions.

Europe is a massive place and people seem to be calling out the basics such as London, Paris, Moscow and the other major cities. I would suggest Istanbul, the cross-roads of Europe and Asia which could become very interesting given the cultural and geographic significance of the city in world history.

Asia again, Hong Kong, Tokyo. Great places but they are too stereotypical of Asia in general. How about somewhere in the golden triangle or some potentially scary places. With the technological developments and criminal elements around the Strait of Malacca, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore. Singapore would be very interesting with its limited space, massive technological development and strict government.

For a Secret Facility I would hope people get over Area 51 and do something different, but also relatively accessible (so no running off into space). How about Pine Gap in the middle of the Australian desert. Evolving the facility into a separate technological surveillance hub after the UN took over Area 51, under the control of Australian and United States intelligence/military (maybe rogue) sections.

Just some ideas. I think they have more potential then the usual suspects.

mouse
12th Mar 2008, 19:25
^^ nice selection

I'd like to have a really crowded place with many shops, people, items, stuff to interact with... A bazar in an oriental location might do, but not the fairy-tale version of it but the cyber-age, computerized, blinking abd flashing version... if you catch my drift...

Gary_Savage
13th Mar 2008, 15:22
...I would suggest Istanbul, the cross-roads of Europe and Asia which could become very interesting given the cultural and geographic significance of the city in world history.

That would be very refreshing. I remember the first time I visited Battery Park and Castle Clinton, in New York, and the Statue of Liberty, and how amazed I was at how similar the DX1 maps had been to the real thing. I even tried to find the subway train, based on where it had been in the game. I would like a similar experience with Istanbul, its hills, and its large masjids/mosques and cathedrals.

How about somewhere in the golden triangle or some potentially scary places.

Brilliant idea! I'm sure the drug cartels and power grabbing conspirators can be tied in, nicely. Hey, considering that some intelligence agencies deal in drugs (or so some YouTube videos would have one believe), and do applied research, the Golden Triangle would be great.

For a Secret Facility I would hope people get over Area 51 and do something different, but also relatively accessible (so no running off into space). How about Pine Gap in the middle of the Australian desert. Evolving the facility into a separate technological surveillance hub after the UN took over Area 51, under the control of Australian and United States intelligence/military (maybe rogue) sections.

Just some ideas. I think they have more potential then the usual suspects.

Well, sure, the first time, in DX1, I heard Jock mention Area 51, I thought something like, "O, another nut case! This might turn out to be very bad game; it will definitely turn out real bad if I do end up on a mission to Area 51." At that time, if anyone would have told me that this would turn into my favorite game before the next sentence that Jock completed, I would have laughed in his face (there was something about the way that Jock put things across, that made me continue to ask him questions).

Well, 7 years on, I am curious about the work on the project that got all those fiber optic cables into Area 51, in the first place, and especially the building up of what later became the Aquinas Hub. So if we have a prequel to DX1, I would like to go "back" to Area 51, just to see how it all started. Think about it. I have heard that it is a facility that is buried in the mountains, just like Hitler had hidden his rocket facility in the mountains. Having watched movies like "Operation Crossbow" and "Where Eagles Dare," I would love a mission where I infiltrate a mountain facility, where I could go from compartment to compartment over bare rocks, and one slip could end in a long, fatal fall. I would also like a harrowing escape, like in the movie "Where Eagles Dare." By this I mean being chased by a tremendous force of enemies, so I am forced to sneak my way to a transport, unlike in DX1, where I could always kill all the enemies and then be able to roam any level freely.

FistOFun
17th Mar 2008, 00:28
Personally I would love to go to London.

RoyalSnail
17th Mar 2008, 02:31
Much deeper into the Rabbit Hole.

Where else matters? :P

Bloodwolf806
19th Mar 2008, 15:56
New York(Liberty Island),USA
Tokyo, Japan
St.Petersburg, Russia

20th Mar 2008, 03:17
1. Dulce, New Mexico
2. Denver International Airport, Colorado
3. New York City, specifically the United Nations and the Freedom Tower assuming its in the game.

I'd also like to see Washington D.C. in the game with places like the Pentagon and the Ford Theatre somehow thrown into the game. Also would like to see China/Tibet and the Middle East in the game.

SemiAnonymous
20th Mar 2008, 04:39
First off, I was always disappointed that in DX1, when you go on the Wallcloud, it never went anywhere, just sat and blew up. So this leads to my first suggestion:
A Luxury Cruiser liner. Sneak on board, complete objectives and attempt to hijack the boat. Then lead the boat to suggestion 2:
The Bermuda Triangle. We know MJ12 was responsible for some crazy things that were going on, so why not this? The Liner gets destroyed at the Triangle, ship sinks, you escape (possibly in a section that is a throwback to the Wallcloud escape sequence), and find yourself in my suggestion 3:
Bermuda Triangle secret base. From here, this could be the point where you discover just who you are working for, assuming that this goes in a similar plotline as DX1 (work for agency, find corruption/evil, get betrayed, etc).
It actually could work, if done right.

dimaf1985
20th Mar 2008, 07:46
The whole point of going to the Wallcloud was to blow it up. That was the mission. And the Bermuda Triangle? Yes, let's also include the moon and the lost city of Atlantis. And then it turns out MJ12 was space aliens all along. Anyway, my top 3:

1. Wherever the origin of the Knights Templar is, a lot of ppl are citing Jerusalem, I guess thats the one to go to.

2. Various parts of the US like in DX1, NYC is a must, DC for the FEMA thing

3. Tokyo

Theres no reason to go to Africa or Australia, theres nothing to do there. Not really a DX setting anyway. France was awesome in DX1, maybe they could do an equally good job with London, Greece, Moscow. No reason to do anything exotic whats great about the DX1 settings is that they were mostly the places that no one went, i.e. sewers, back alleys, underground tunnels, abandoned or private establishments etc.

mike-rs
20th Mar 2008, 09:06
Theres no reason to go to Africa or Australia, theres nothing to do there.

I would disagree. There are plenty of reasons to go to places such as Australia and Africa. For a start they both have massive amounts of natural resources which leads to an the potential for both areas to reap the economic benefits of continued development and or any economic crisis. A hole in the ground has unimagionable value.
Africa, and more specifficly South Africa would be poised to take advantage of any nano tech revolution since it has one of the most liberal and advanced small weapons industries in the world.
Johaisburg would be really fascinating since there it isn't known as the firendliest city in the world. Cybernetic criminal gangs, diamond smuggling and illicit weapons trade. Could be fun

Australia with a highly educated population that would be economically sheltered from any world crisis due to its natural resources would probably be one of the advanced research centres around the world.
Perth in Australia would be an international powerhouse since it's the major city for one of the largest mining areas in the world. Money and various vested interests.

Just some observations.
Not saying that they're better or worse then anywhere else in the world but don't dismiss places because they don't fit your arceotype of a Sci Fi game.

Gary_Savage
20th Mar 2008, 18:18
Theres no reason to go to Africa or Australia, theres nothing to do there.

Someone has disagreed to that, but if it was true, then that would be precisely why I would want to go there. A lot of high tech companies put up their labs in desolate places. Corning Inc., for instance, has its world research headquarters near a very small town, in upstate New York, NY, USA. A lot of other US companies have their R&D facilities in pretty much dead-end towns, which is why a lot of my friends did not express interest in the jobs there. So, if Africa or Australia are desolate, then that would be precisely why MJ12-like organizations would setup their research there. I do recall the Ocean-Labs base being in a desolate place. Also, from real life, military intelligence monitoring stations are often in desolate places.

minus0ne
20th Mar 2008, 20:55
Theres no reason to go to Africa or Australia, theres nothing to do there. Not really a DX setting anyway.
That's so untrue :mad2: Caïro in IW could've been a great setting (and parts of it were) if they would've actually developed it like they should have (ie more than a few alleyways and a large facility).

And then there are numerous other great DX locations in Africa;

Casablanca - beautiful city in which there's already a collision of modern architecture and the old - they could enhance/extrapolate this further and make a great setting.

Johannesburg - One of the fastest developing cities in the world (and a high crime rate to match LA/NY :P)

Caïro revisit - Only this time around, they make it an actual city (instead of the aforementioned few alleyways and facility), perhaps see some frickin' pyramids (3D ones, to give you a sense of awe), lots of NPCs etc.

Some place near the birthplace of mankind perhaps (Central Africa).

Off the top of my head..

Gary_Savage
20th Mar 2008, 21:19
Johannesburg - One of the fastest developing cities in the world (and a high crime rate to match LA/NY :P)

Since many of us seem to like places with high crime rates, may I also suggest that we keep running into thugs are not out to get us, but will attack us if they think we overheard their conversation? For example, in DX1's Hong Kong, near the canals (I think it was the canals map) I overheard two NPCs, and it sounded like a drug deal going down. As soon as they saw me they tried to get me with stun prods. I would love to see more of that kind of thing if we go to places with high crime rates.

dimaf1985
21st Mar 2008, 02:18
Well, I'm sure that there are enough reasons to set up a few maps in a desolate place like Africa, where a secret underground lab can exist. But a hole in the ground can exist anywhere. And someone suggested showcasing landmarks such as pyramids. I'm not saying there's no way they can make Africa work. I'm just suggesting that over-reaching for some sort of exotic locale to place the game in, just for the sake of making it exotic would be a mistake. There has to be a good reason for it. In DX you went to the Versalife offices in Hong Kong because it is known for being one of the corporate epicentres in the world. They picked Hong Kong for that specific reason, and not some random city like Vienna or Rio because it wouldnt make sense. A good alternative to Hong Kong would be Tokyo. Similarly, Paris was chosen for its history with the Knights Templar. Jerusalem would be a perfect extension of that theme. The rest of the game remained within the US because the main plot was about a US government conspiracy. Therefore, places like the underwater lab didn't HAVE TO be moved to obscure places like Africa, because it made logistical sense for MJ12 to stay close to home. It's fun to speculate about the various world capitals where DX3 COULD take place, but remember they have to be relevant to the plot and themes, instead of being relevant to someone's particular taste in pretty architechtural design.

Also, mike-rs made some very interesting points about the socio-economic state of places like Johannesburg and Perth. Certainly, i have to take my comments back about there being nothing to do in Australia and Africa. I was just trying to make a point about how i really dont want to see camels, palm trees and savannahs in DX3. :D

gamer0004
21st Mar 2008, 10:12
Africa is not the place to be in DX. While South-East Asia has a great infrastructure capable of supporting large industries, Africa doesn't. Besides that, Africa is politcal very unstable and therefore not very appealing to companies either.
Australia could be okay, as long as there isn't any mystic stuff (like the aboriginals), or "mystic" stuff that turns out to be the work of modern technology (which has become so cliché that it's actually really annoying nowadays).

dimaf1985
21st Mar 2008, 21:50
Africa is not the place to be in DX. While South-East Asia has a great infrastructure capable of supporting large industries, Africa doesn't. Besides that, Africa is politcal very unstable and therefore not very appealing to companies either.
Australia could be okay, as long as there isn't any mystic stuff (like the aboriginals), or "mystic" stuff that turns out to be the work of modern technology (which has become so cliché that it's actually really annoying nowadays).

Exactly. That was more or less the point i was trying to make. Someone suggested Istanbul, or Rome for its cathedrals and religious connotations. Remember it has to be relevant to the DX themes, not just some accurate graphical representation of really nice architechture. The whole point of going to the cathedral in DX1, was its ties to the Knights Templar, which was an organization of conspirators being taken over by another organization of conspirators, which was one of the major plotlines. And any of that mystical stuff is out of the question.

Viscosity
1st Apr 2008, 00:24
New York and Hong Kong (for nostalgia)

New places.

Tokyo, JP

Montreal, CA (Why not? Thats where the game is being made. :) )

Boston, MA

WildcatPhoenix
1st Apr 2008, 03:42
Coincidentally, the "Man in Black" mod will feature almost all of those locations you just mentioned. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist!

-Wildcat

lightbringerrr
1st Apr 2008, 04:12
Coincidentally, the "Man in Black" mod will feature almost all of those locations you just mentioned. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist!

-Wildcat

"Who da' hell be you to make such predictions mon'" ???

H.R.-Vocalist, Bad Brains.

RebelX
1st Apr 2008, 20:14
1. Korea (particularly Seoul)

2. Washington DC

3. Somewhere in eastern Europe

I hope they don't pick something like Antarctica again... The portal thing was lame too. I don't see how Eidos is going to undo all the bad/cheesy stuff they did in Invisible War... Maybe a prequel to DX1 but I don't see how that can work out.

Vasarto
2nd Apr 2008, 21:26
New york City (Hell's Kitchen)
Hong Kong
Eagle Point Oregon (My Home Town) its a nice place really.Could be good for a mission involving something like ehhh..a meeting place where a member of the illuminati lives and stuff...

Gunter Herman
5th Apr 2008, 13:29
Bumping this building, would be a shame if it's left out:

Apart from that, some nostalgia (especially Hong Kong) would be nice. But Liberty Island - not again please.

Vasarto
5th Apr 2008, 17:56
What a very interesting building herman.

New york..Just a statue I thought would something to add to the newyork
area.
http://www.jberkey.com/Bull1.jpg

Dont't know what this place is...but its from paris..Would be nice place to visit in the game.

http://www.travelphoto.net/a-photo-a-day/wordpress/wp-content/paris-photos-0058a.jpg

Gunter Herman
5th Apr 2008, 18:05

It wasn't actually my idea to include it in DX3, someone brought it up when the thread was just started (see page 1). I've always been a fan of it though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomium

Kevyne-Shandris
5th Apr 2008, 18:50
7. Tokyo / Kyoto / Osaka

Hakodate.

Notice something similiar to the Liberty Island level? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goryokaku

Vasarto
8th Apr 2008, 15:20
It wasn't actually my idea to include it in DX3, someone brought it up when the thread was just started (see page 1). I've always been a fan of it though:

Nice!

Anyway Other places I would like to see other than Newyork,Paris and honk kong would be places like. St.Petersburg(Russia),Venice(Italy)London(England)

Vinice most of all would be a very interesting place with all of its water cannals and how it looks so diffarant from anywhere else.

Conspiracy Theorist
9th Apr 2008, 02:13
Dont't know what this place is...but its from paris..Would be nice place to visit in the game.
http://www.travelphoto.net/a-photo-a-day/wordpress/wp-content/paris-photos-0058a.jpg

That's the Sacre Coeur (sacred heart) Basilica in Paris.

Conspiracy Theorist
9th Apr 2008, 02:24

There might be some way to integrate "third world" locations into the storyline. After all, every multi-national conspiracy has to get its raw resources from somewhere....

Conspiracy Theorist
9th Apr 2008, 02:32

The terrorism link is already there, isn't it? Who were the group of people walking around in hoods - who destroy the building in the opening sequence?

(Sheez, guess I'll have to get it out and play it again.... ;) )

Terrorism doesn't have to be conceived in religious terms. It can also just represent those groups (and individuals) that are resisting whatever it is that happens to be totalizing the world.

lightbringerrr
9th Apr 2008, 02:45

That IS cool!

Man, post-war Europe got ALL of the cool **** in terms of architecture and transportation. Rotterdam has a monorail that runs around the entire city!

lightbringerrr
9th Apr 2008, 02:49
Hakodate.

Notice something similiar to the Liberty Island level? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goryokaku

Another winner; very cool!

lightbringerrr
9th Apr 2008, 02:54
Well, if we're gonna' get all wacky, let's head to the dome of the rock and then off to mecca!*

*Where Lightbringerrr's patented "Deus Ex: Bloodbath"! would be OODLES of fun!!!:lmao:

Vasarto
9th Apr 2008, 03:25

So thats what it is called. Ill look it up in a bit. See what The place is about ect. Anyway I hope there will be alot of places to go to in Deus Ex 3 and
They give you the ability to go back between the places during the story.

Accept they would have to put some limitations on it for the stories sake.
Like if in DX they let us go back and forth between Places like paris and Newyork. That wouldn't be a good idea since newyork at the time was a warzone looking for jc. But give us the opportunity to go to where-ever
we want during most times of the game.

Like lets say you have contacts in Venice in italy and you have made friends
with people whom can give you ammo. Well Since your on your Way from
St.Petersburg In Russia and going to Paris you could stop in and gather or...Purchase some equipment or find that there are new side quests to do.

I know this is only suppost to be the top three places but I feel as if they should concider or at least put all of the names of places I am going to list
in as places we could visit in the game. Main Story Wise or not it doesn't matter. You could do side quests or missions that strey from the Main story
involving drug lords,Mafia or Other conspiracy's involving or that could alter
the main story slightly or just in very small ways.

PLACES:
1.Newyork (USA)
2.Paris (France)
3.Hong Kong (China)
4.Venice (Italy)
5.Montreal (CA, USA)
6.Casablanca (western Morocco...I think )
7.London (England)
8.Vancouver (Canada)
9.Zurich (Sweden I think)
10.Vienna (Austrian capital)
11.Madrid (Spain)
12.Sydney (Austrain City)
13.Rome...(Italy?)
14.Eagle Point Oregon...ya..I can only wish for a game with my hometown as a location....hey we have a super wal-mart and other stuff...so its not that bad of a place.
15.Seattle (Washington)
16.Washington DC
17.Tokyo (Japan)

lightbringerrr
9th Apr 2008, 06:03
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_OrlojWe're going to Prauge!

As someone who has crossed the St. Charles Bridge on more than one occasion, I would love to see this City that was NOT bombed to hell by the Nazi's, and is one of the VERY few Old European Cities that retains ALL of it's historical landmarks, included in DX3!

Trip to the Astronomical(?) Clock anyone?

jordan_a
9th Apr 2008, 09:17
Yeah, and I live right behind it actually. :D
Its interior:
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3728/31653qo1.jpg
By the way the Pope is coming on september.

Vasarto
9th Apr 2008, 21:04
Yeah, and I live right behind it actually. :D
Its interior:
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3728/31653qo1.jpg
By the way the Pope is coming on september.

Wow...that looks nice. Twould be a very nice level to go in.

gamer0004
10th Apr 2008, 16:41
That IS cool!

Man, post-war Europe got ALL of the cool **** in terms of architecture and transportation. Rotterdam has a monorail that runs around the entire city!

LOL what the hell? I've lived in R'dam and I've never seen such a thing or heard from it. I don't live there anymore, but I still come there very often and doubt that there is any such thing.

lightbringerrr
10th Apr 2008, 17:43
LOL what the hell? I've lived in R'dam and I've never seen such a thing or heard from it. I don't live there anymore, but I still come there very often and doubt that there is any such thing.

I was there in 95. Our hotel was near the Maashaven station. Our hotel was owned by a Jamaican family whose son was a local musician.
It's possible that I'm thinking of an overhead train instead of a monorail, but it's been a very long time since I've been there.
As you walk from our hotel towards one of the main streets that will eventually end up near a very large restaurant in the sky( I think it was a restaurant, it may have just been an observation tower for the harbor ),there's a middle-eastern owned coffee shop across the street from a brothel that we used to hang out at.
We took the rail into downtown and ate at a restaurant called 'Twifler'( I think that's the name, but not sure ), and had a few drinks at a bar around the corner. Almost every bar has a "house dog", which I thought was very cool.

ADDENDUM:
I just got done looking at some pics from Rotterdamn, and the 'restaurant' is really the Euromast. Looking at these pictures is making me really miss that city. I'd like to back at least once before I die.

gamer0004
10th Apr 2008, 19:26
I was there in 95. Our hotel was near the Maashaven station. Our hotel was owned by a Jamaican family whose son was a local musician.
It's possible that I'm thinking of an overhead train instead of a monorail, but it's been a very long time since I've been there.
As you walk from our hotel towards one of the main streets that will eventually end up near a very large restaurant in the sky( I think it was a restaurant, it may have just been an observation tower for the harbor ),there's a middle-eastern owned coffee shop across the street from a brothel that we used to hang out at.
We took the rail into downtown and ate at a restaurant called 'Twifler'( I think that's the name, but not sure ), and had a few drinks at a bar around the corner. Almost every bar has a "house dog", which I thought was very cool.

ADDENDUM:
I just got done looking at some pics from Rotterdamn, and the 'restaurant' is really the Euromast. Looking at these pictures is making me really miss that city. I'd like to back at least once before I die.

I visit R'dam reguarly and yes I like the city very much too. I know the Euromast and I think I know what you're talking about: there are small blue wagons that look a bit like a monorail. The "tube" is often above the ground too, btw.
But yeah, it's a really modern city, partly because it was bombed during WW2 of course. It could be cool if parts of DX3 will take place there.

lightbringerrr
11th Apr 2008, 02:10
I visit R'dam reguarly and yes I like the city very much too. I know the Euromast and I think I know what you're talking about: there are small blue wagons that look a bit like a monorail. The "tube" is often above the ground too, btw.
But yeah, it's a really modern city, partly because it was bombed during WW2 of course. It could be cool if parts of DX3 will take place there.

I distinctly remember looking around as we walked through City Center, and seeing only one super old-school building that was serving as a library. The stonework was charred black from fire during the Axis Powers bombardment of the city.
Same thing in Dresden. Nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING architectural survived that air assault. On the outside of town, there's an old staging area and structure before you hit the Czech border, and before you begin driving through the mountains. It was very eerie to see that, as we were driving at night.
No film or documentary can compare with standing face to face with these places.

Illuminati
13th Apr 2008, 07:45
Honest to god, going to Rotterdam would suck intensely..

It is one of the ugliest city's in Holland. I am from Holland and I've no idea what good storyline could take place here. Can't really say we are the center of the world..

gamer0004
13th Apr 2008, 12:28
Lol. The euromast could be the home of Morgan Everett when he's still young or something like that :nut:

auric
13th Apr 2008, 13:09
I definitely want to see Liberty Island again with new graphics & with its head still intact. Hmm... 20 years, that's before whoever it was, C4 it, right?
:D

Japan is definitely what I'm hoping for when I first read of Deus Ex 3 coming out. Top of my head, lol
Can't have an advance tech. story without them in some way.

And in a more personal note, I would like to hear/read a quote or if relevant to the story, have a level of Malaysia in the game. Hearing & reading of it would be sufficient.
:)

minus0ne
13th Apr 2008, 13:23

It is one of the ugliest city's in Holland. I am from Holland and I've no idea what good storyline could take place here. Can't really say we are the center of the world..
I completely agree. However, Rotterdam is the largest port outside of Asia (ie, a good place to offload some nanovirus, or whatever it is that serves a DX storyline). I'd still rather see Amsterdam or The Hague though. The Hague being the site of the International Criminal Court (not recognized by the U.S.) and Amsterdam being a old-meets-new Blade Runneresque type Venice.

lightbringerrr
13th Apr 2008, 16:33

I've seen uglier. Rotterdam may be a more industry-oriented city than Amsterdam, but hotels, food, and various other goodies are way less expensive and it's a much easier city to get around in.
Those streets in Amsterdam were made for horses, carriages, and VW Beetles. How our contact at the vehicle rental managed to drive a Mercedes van through the red light district is beyond me. It's like putting a Tonka Truck on a Hotwheels track.
Some of the neighborhoods at the docks aren't the most attractive I've ever seen, but compared to old downtown Washington DC, they're a virtual Shangri-La.
As you are from Holland, perhaps you can explain to me this Dutch obsession with Pork and mayonaise-covered french fries?

pHdeus
13th Apr 2008, 17:30
Deus Ex's excellence was due in part by the great variety of places and environments in the game.

Even people who would never have played a video game became interested when I listed the different places in the game.

So my only suggestion; use the world as the canvas and keep the environments true as possible to reality or a future reality as envisioned the creators. Otherwise, I trust the creators to come up with places that support the story as magnificently as Deus Ex 1.

... and for some reason, I expect to see Montreal. :o

B0b_P@ge
13th Apr 2008, 18:13
HONG KONG!!!!!!!!

http://www.freewebs.com/vm4hk/hong-kong-map.jpg
http://www.liberal-debutante.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/hkg-hong-kong-advertising.jpg
http://binary.rolex.com/en/media/images/inside-rolex/sales-service/asia/hong-kong.jpg
http://listverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/hong-kong-15-thumbnail-hong-kong-tngpx10001x14537x1fa4c1096.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/angiu/iblog/B1292177912/C1695647056/E1489692122/Media/20041216.jpg

Shinjuku (Region in Tokyo, Japan)
http://photo.net/photo/2000pcd1670/tokyo-shinjuku-45.4.jpg
http://www.travel-earth.com/japan/shinjuku-night.jpg
http://www.bergoiata.org/fe/bestw2/Shinjuku%20District,%20Tokyo,%20Japan.jpg
http://www.students.stedwards.edu/tsegawa/home_files/shinjuku_at_night.jpg

B0b_P@ge
13th Apr 2008, 18:16
http://z.about.com/d/manga/1/0/5/8/-/-/popjapan_shinjuku_500.jpg

lightbringerrr
13th Apr 2008, 19:14
The restaurants and bars I ate at always had a ****load of pork and sausage dishes. On the drive across Holland to Berlin, every farmhouse I saw had two things:

1) A greenhouse.

2) Pigs.

jordan_a
13th Apr 2008, 19:15
HONG KONG!!!!!!!!
All the way mate but your pictures are ENORMOUS watch it! :D

Larington
13th Apr 2008, 19:18
Hmm, seems theres a contender for most awesome name for food ever there.

WAR Fries. Ruuuuuuuargh!

lightbringerrr
13th Apr 2008, 19:23
http://z.about.com/d/manga/1/0/5/8/-/-/popjapan_shinjuku_500.jpg

Cool pics, but unless we have some Luminous Path / Red Arrow business to take care of, I'd really prefer to see nostalgia take a back seat to the current story.

B0b_P@ge
14th Apr 2008, 15:26
All the way mate but your pictures are ENORMOUS watch it! :D

My bad! ;)

gamer0004
14th Apr 2008, 16:44
I completely agree. However, Rotterdam is the largest port outside of Asia (ie, a good place to offload some nanovirus, or whatever it is that serves a DX storyline). I'd still rather see Amsterdam or The Hague though. The Hague being the site of the International Criminal Court (not recognized by the U.S.) and Amsterdam being a old-meets-new Blade Runneresque type Venice.

Some say that the U.S. don't recognise the ICC because they would have to extradite many of their citizens :D

As you are from Holland, perhaps you can explain to me this Dutch obsession with Pork and mayonaise-covered french fries?

I'm Dutch too and it's the combination of fries, mayonaise, curry and onions (frietje speciaal). It's simply a brilliant combination, especially in combination with a "frikandel speciaal" (I guess that's what you mean by "pork", but itá actually a combination of leftovers with sometimes horse-meat), which is meat with mayonaise, curry and onions. You should try it. It might look disgusting but it tastes really good. The Dutch are almost like addicted to fries + mayonaise (+...), they can't even miss it on holiday...

rhalibus
4th May 2008, 21:37
I just saw a video of the Large Hadron Collider they've completed building near Geneva, Switzerland. It's huge--I mean, huge--and its epic scale and sci-fi theme would make a great mission level: Maybe terrorists take it over and are threatening to create a black hole or emp bomb or something and you have to go resolve the issue...Or maybe a non-combat level like the Gary Savage control room at Vandenberg. In any case, watch some of the Hadron Collider videos and the scale will astound you...Notice the two workers in this picture:

http://blog.scifi.com/tech/pics/lhc_1.jpg

Oh, and great Shinjuku and Hong Kong pictures, B0b_P@ge. I went to Toyko a few months ago and maybe I'll post some of my Shinjuku shots...:)

Vasarto
5th May 2008, 02:19
Vinice
St. PetersBurg
Vatican City

Sorry if the pictures are a bit big.

Venice 1
http://z.about.com/d/goeurope/1/0/h/K/venice_doge_6.jpg

Venice 2
http://www.letsgo-europe.com/Italy/Venice/venice80.jpg

Venice 3
http://www.digital-photo-web.com/image-files/venice-italy-pictures-p4081011.jpg

St.PetersBurg 1
http://www.ed.spb.ru/st-petersburg-wallpaper/packs/jpg800x600/hookanal.jpg

St.Petersburg 2
http://englishrussia.com/images/underwater_fountain/1.jpg

ST.Petersburg 3
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/11/27/world/28petersburg.xlarge1.jpg

Vatican City 1
http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/places/images/ga/italy_st-peters-basilica-vatican-city.jpg

Vatican City 2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/rafcat/Europe%20Trip/VaticanCity.jpg

Vatican city 3
http://www.stat.osu.edu/~brian/hobbies/travel/pics/vatican.jpg

jcp28
5th May 2008, 20:58
Some place in Russia would be cool. It's so important to world affairs that it would be a shame not to include it sometime. Either Moscow or St.Petersburg would be fine by me.

As for other places, I'd suggest either San Francisco or LA for the American city(because one will surely be featured) They're among the few of the well-known cities left in USA(Dallas would be okay, but I don't know...)
Then an Asian city like Tokyo should most certainly be included. And since the DX bible mentions something about Mexico being dominated by drug lords, Mexico City should be included so we can explore how the situation came to be worst. Hell, the immigration debate makes it kind of relevant.
Then I suppose we must have the obligatory military base/research lab level as well...:rolleyes: But the stuff that goes on there might help fill in the future course of events in DX1.

Deadelus
6th May 2008, 03:39
Tokyo would be fun.. But in the maps of 1 and two, there was so much more that could have been added to the maps.. They were so small.. Sure, maps are huge and if you over do it, gameplay might not be that great.. *BUT* they could be split up, such as Hong Kong in the first DX. And load times shouldn't be ridiculous like in DX2.. Heck, I'd be ecstatic if the maps loaded like GTA or so.. Different 'zones' that would be loaded while the game is running, and old zones dumped. But whatever they do, I'll still love it. It's Deus Ex after all. :)

Voltaire
6th May 2008, 14:05
One of the things I liked in Hong Kong, DX1, was the really nice blur between the street/canal/club/office/laboratory. You always knew, and cared, where you were, because you had to wander round trying to find it for a while.

There was a real sense of being in an actual location, rather than the traditional "FPS tunnel" with no deviations in route from A to B.

Like: "I'm in the versalife offices, off the wanchai market, near lucky money"
Rather than: "I went through that room, killed him, used his key, walked down a corridor, went further on, never turning back dull, dull, dull..."

So long as the maps are believably set out as places, rather than one-way treks, I don't care if the game takes place entirely in broad daylight on Skipton high street (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skipton).

lightbringerrr
6th May 2008, 15:11
"Some place in Russia would be cool. It's so important to world affairs that it would be a shame not to include it sometime. Either Moscow or St.Petersburg would be fine by me".

Kiev. Saint Sophias / Monastery of the Caves.
I've been fascinated by this joint since reading "The Vampire Armand". The monks would bury themselves in these cells, and would be uncovered once a month to recieve water and bread. Repeat process until dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Kiev_Sofiakathedraal.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Near_Caves_%28Kiev_Pechersk_Lavra%29.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Near_Caves_%28Kiev_Pechersk_Lavra%29_Interiour.jpg

minus0ne
6th May 2008, 17:15
I just saw a video of the Large Hadron Collider they've completed building near Geneva, Switzerland. It's huge--I mean, huge--and its epic scale and sci-fi theme would make a great mission level:
Finally another vote for this awesome location! If you want to see more about the LHC at CERN and what it's helping us discover, I highly recommend seeing BBC Horizon's "The Six Billion Dollar Experiment" :thumbsup: .

lightbringerrr
7th May 2008, 03:36
Finally another vote for this awesome location! If you want to see more about the LHC at CERN and what it's helping us discover, I highly recommend seeing BBC Horizon's "The Six Billion Dollar Experiment" :thumbsup: .

Allright; I am sufficiently intrigued. I shall BBC and/or You Tube to discover more about this futuristic monolith( ahhh...Monolith; Caleb, whereforeart thou? ).
Be on the lookout for my "Vote for Prauge" presentation, which will appear shortly. I STILL don't know how to put an image up, but I will URL aplenty!:D

lightbringerrr
7th May 2008, 05:15
First visited by Yours Truly in the Year of our Lord and Saviour Dirk Diggler, 1995, I offer you a few choice delights from one of the only cities in all of Europe that did NOT get bombed to hell in WW2( In fact, no bombs fell at all because the Nazi's just marched right in and said "Hi, we're here; pints for 5,000 please...):

PRAGUE!

1) Killer night-shot across the Vltava river highlighting Embassy-Row, the Presidental Palace/Prague Castle, and the St. Vitus( not JUST a cool Bauhaus song...he-hee! )Cathedral at the Presidental Palace/Prague Castle. I hope I can find a shot of the stonework on the Cathedral, because it is AMAZING. It's all-original, and has been painstakingly maintained to look EXACTLY like the day it was completed, with minimal signs of wear or aging:
(NOTE: When you open the link, click again to get the full resolution. Now look at the bottom left of the photo. Start at the restaurant and work your way to the right. See the ramp going up to the park? That park is THE PLACE to be on a weekend day. Get your bottle of wine, your guitar, your friends, and head out! TONS of hotties everywhere, and they aren't shy!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:2464028806_34b50134bf_o.jpg

Front Entry to the Palace/Castle( note the two spires of the St. Vitus Cathedral looming in the background ). Note: Those two guard stands at the gate are ALWAYS manned by Ceremonial Guard and unlike the British; they will NOT sit still while you try to get goofy and/or stupid!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0a/Prague_castle.jpg

2) And here she is; the St. Vitus Cathedral:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/St_Vitus_Cathedral_from_south.jpg

This is a GREAT shot, but it doesn't do justice to standing in this very spot and looking up:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Saint_Vitus_Cathedral_in_Prague.jpg

A couple more:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Praga_przypory.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Wita.png

The tomb of John of Nepomuk inside the cathedral: (NOTE: When I die, I'll take one of these with my likeness holding a 58' LP Goldtop; Righteous!)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/John_Nepomuk_Tomb.jpg

And finally; the back. Just beautiful.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e9/St_Vitus.jpg

Moving on.
We now head across the Vltava River to Old Town. And what better way to get there than to cross one of the coolest bridges I've ever seen; The Charles Bridge:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/Karl%C5%AFv_most.jpg

"The alley of 30 mostly baroque statues and statuaries situated on the balustrade forms a unique connection of artistic styles with the underlying gothic bridge. Most sculptures were erected between 1683 and 1714. They depict various saints and patron saints venerated at that time. The most prominent Bohemian sculptors of the time took part in decorating the bridge, such as: Matthias Braun, Jan Brokoff and his sons Michael Joseph and Ferdinand Maxmilian.

Among the most notable sculptures, one can find the statuaries of St. Luthgard, St. Crucifix or St. John of Nepomuk. Well known is also the statue of knight Bruncv*k, although it does not belong to the main alley.

Beginning in 1965, all of the statues have been systematically replaced by replicas and the originals have been exhibited in the lapidarium of the National Museum".

Our old friend( and forebearer of my Righteous Rock and Roll Casket ) John of Nepomuk in happier, breathing days!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/John_of_Nepomuk.jpg

And finally, we pass through this structure( Yes; you can enter on either side and take the steps to the top! ) and head in to Old Town:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/Aftnn_The_old_town_end_of_the_King_Charles_bridge.jpg

I walked across this thing at least twice a week, and it's so cool in the summer when all the artists are set up and selling thier wares up and down the bridge.

Final Notes on the Charles Bridge:
The music video 'Never Tear Us Apart' by INXS( Good God; an amazing f'n song, and I miss Mike Hutchence immensely; I met him when he and Helena Christensen walked in to the shop I was working at in the Westport entertainment district in Kansas City Mo. when INXS was on tour in 93-94 )was filmed on Charles Bridge.
Part of Linkin Park's music video 'Numb' was filmed on Charles Bridge.
Part of Kanye West's music video "Diamonds are forever" was filmed on Charles Bridge.
Charles Bridge appears in the action films Mission: Impossible( remember John Voight shooting himself, then falling in to the water? Yep; that's The Charles ) and XXX.

I'll post some Old Town stuff tomorrow, and hopefully I can find a shot of the bar we used to live upstairs from; GOOD Times!
I gots'ta get to bed though.
Later,
Lightbringerrr.

robm_2007
8th May 2008, 18:05
Prague, Czech Republic
Berlin, Germany
New York City, New York

Igoe
8th May 2008, 18:13
So, I think we can all agree on 3 things here:

1) Predominantly urban areas

Cities provide ample cover from enemies, lend themselves well to exploration and NPC sidequests, and pretty much embody the pseudo-cyberpunk that is Deus Ex. (which I've affectionately dubbed "TechNoir")

2) Nothing too flashy or futuristic.

The areas have to be well grounded and believable. Seattle was certainly a very....colorful city in IW, but it didn't look anything like the cities of today, which takes away from the immersion. No one wants to see a literal re-creation of any modern city from today (though some might argue otherwise ) The city has to be at least believable. Things like ocean labs work in the world of DX because they're just beyond the limits of today's tech, but aren't so far removed from the capability of man so as to be alien in nature. It's exotic without being unbelievable. Today? maybe. 40 years from now? Sure, why not.

3) Surprise us.

We can sit and conjecture all day, but in the end no one really wants to be 100% right. Think about it. If there's anything working in the game industry has taught me it's that gamers DON'T know what they want. I know, I know, hate me if you will, but every time you pander to your target group, you get poor results. People LIKE surprises. DX3 needs some show-stopping exotic location, something so random none of us would ever conceive of it. When we play the game, we'll have a pretty good idea of what we're getting into. I think we can all agree that SOMEWHERE down the line, probably towards the end, there needs to be that one random locale, that ONE amazingly unpredictably awesome level that makes us stop in our tracks and revel in its glory.

lightbringerrr
12th May 2008, 16:13
On to Old Town:

Old Town Square:
This cathedral is on every bottle of Staropramen beer. Ironically enough, the first place we ended up at upon arriving was the Staropramen Brewery.
Good stuff. Buy a six; you'll like.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Thyn-Kirche.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/OldTownSquareMotl.JPG

Some various buildings near Old Town Square:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/119_1990rrr.jpg
Ah-HA! On the other side of the cathedral in this pic, is the bar we lived above and partied at all the time.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0c/StareMestoNarrowStreet.JPG

And of course; the Astronomical Clock:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Prague_Clock_Tower.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/PragueTownHallClockhzenilc.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/Schema_Orloj_en.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/Schema_Orloj_pragueorlojhzenilc.jpg

Here's something that was being built around the time I was there:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Fred_and_Ginger_from_the_Front.jpg

The National Museum and Wenceslas Square at night: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Wenceslas_Square.jpg
On the steps of the museum, looking the other direction:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Wenzelsplatz-00.jpg

A link to the cafe/club I worked at for a little while:
http://www.radostfx.cz/homepage.asp?lang=en&ver=htm

The Bar:
http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=655
A link to a Prague Virtual Tour:
http://www.praguealacarte.com/PALC/palcFrontPage.html

I hope you've enjoyed this, now EIDOS; Make it happen!

mad_red
13th May 2008, 11:11
Venice = has stuff like in Trier, Paris, DX1 Cathedral. And of course HK canals. Lots of places under the buildings, local life, and history. Plenty of stuff to make me happy.

Amsterdam or Utrecht, or some other city in the world with old downtown canals will also do. (I'm from Holland). Both sides of the canals are lined with what used to be werehouses - now turned into coffeeshops and restaurants, and in whorehouses and hashbars in other areas. The canals, docks, and ex-warehouses are all below street-level. There's both big and small canals, boats, and bridges. Canals in the alley's, canals running in front of churches, etc. etc. And did I mention all the drug-dealing, prostitution, parties, etc. etc? I'm sure they'll have rampantly spread out of control in the DX future.

The above cities can also double as the dilapidated, abandoned urban centers. Some areas could be abandoned or quarantined as a result of global warming and viruses carried by termites or mosquitos. Since the buildings were already very old, they will actually be coming down... not just crumbling a little as in NY or Paris.

If we include an Asian city, Tokyo would definitely be cool. But I don't really mind if they skip it this time around.

Definitely put in a US city. And definitely not New York. Been there, done that. Washington DC sounds has plenty of recognizable landmarks. I've been to about half the states, and no other city stands out as much in my memory as DC. Hopefully, DX will achieve the same effect.

Finally, I expect the same share of military installations, research facilities, factories, ghost towns, etc.

BUT: Igoe makes a good point. I enjoyed the arctic level in DX:IW the most. Not because it's white and bland, but because it was unexpected, spooky and exotic.

SageSavage
13th May 2008, 11:15
New Orleans vs Fema

lightbringerrr
13th May 2008, 17:25
New Orleans vs Fema

HA-HA!!! LOL!

Helios_Denton66
14th May 2008, 01:18
To be honest, Cities should be big like in Dx1, Hong Kong was pretty small. I also think there should be a better physics engine, like you throw a very heavy barrel of explosives in the water, It just floats. Also there should be flying, including jet-packed NPCs. Also, you should be able to walk into a store (like a media) and buy multitools from the owner. and about wooden doors with infinate strengh...

jcp28
14th May 2008, 01:38
Buying multitools from a store might sound like a good idea, but then, the whole realism factor might be debatable. So maybe the amount of multitools you can buy should be limited somewhat. But I kind of like it, because it might make you consider on what exactly to spend your money when it's tight. It shouldn't be common though, that would ruin the game. Maybe one store per city could carry it.

DXeXodus
14th May 2008, 04:29
3) Surprise us.

Thats what Warren Spector said to Harvey Smith about how the sequel to DX1 should be. We all know how that turned out. It did indeed surprise us.
But you do make a valid point, and here is hoping that we are surprised, but in a good way this time.

Also there should be flying, including jet-packed NPCs..

I dunno about that :scratch:

Apollonius
14th May 2008, 07:02
Anywhere with a European or Russian setting would be cool. Kinda like Half Life 2. Weren’t the Russians the ones who were supposed to have developed the technology for the black market biomods in DX:IW? It would be nice to get some history into that. :D

My favourite level in DX was the Vandenberg Labs where we meet Gary Savage and the crew. There were elements in that level in particular for all types of gamers so I’d love to see more of that!

lightbringerrr
14th May 2008, 14:19
To be honest, Cities should be big like in Dx1, Hong Kong was pretty small. I also think there should be a better physics engine, like you throw a very heavy barrel of explosives in the water, It just floats. Also there should be flying, including jet-packed NPCs. Also, you should be able to walk into a store (like a media) and buy multitools from the owner. and about wooden doors with infinate strengh...

Don't forget to put Gordon Quick on top of the round skyscraper in Wan Chai!
They stashed him there during one of the missions in Hong Kong. If you go in to 'Fly' mode, you'll see him on top of the building.

rhalibus
14th May 2008, 23:28
So, I think we can all agree on 3 things here:

1) Predominantly urban areas

Cities provide ample cover from enemies, lend themselves well to exploration and NPC sidequests, and pretty much embody the pseudo-cyberpunk that is Deus Ex. (which I've affectionately dubbed "TechNoir")

2) Nothing too flashy or futuristic.

The areas have to be well grounded and believable. Seattle was certainly a very....colorful city in IW, but it didn't look anything like the cities of today, which takes away from the immersion. No one wants to see a literal re-creation of any modern city from today (though some might argue otherwise ) The city has to be at least believable. Things like ocean labs work in the world of DX because they're just beyond the limits of today's tech, but aren't so far removed from the capability of man so as to be alien in nature. It's exotic without being unbelievable. Today? maybe. 40 years from now? Sure, why not.

3) Surprise us.

We can sit and conjecture all day, but in the end no one really wants to be 100% right. Think about it. If there's anything working in the game industry has taught me it's that gamers DON'T know what they want. I know, I know, hate me if you will, but every time you pander to your target group, you get poor results. People LIKE surprises. DX3 needs some show-stopping exotic location, something so random none of us would ever conceive of it. When we play the game, we'll have a pretty good idea of what we're getting into. I think we can all agree that SOMEWHERE down the line, probably towards the end, there needs to be that one random locale, that ONE amazingly unpredictably awesome level that makes us stop in our tracks and revel in its glory.

In total agreement, Igoe! That's why I believe the conceptual drawing is in the DX "zone". :)

I also like epic scales--the roof tops of New York were great 'cause you could see your goal (the antennas on the warehouse) from far away...and the vertical air shaft at Area 51 that seemed bottomless was also neat...

ikenstein
27th Jun 2008, 09:38

great idea! hows about istanbul as well? (aka constantinople/ byzantium) istanbul is all mixed up with the knights templar and grail stories.

athens would also be cool.

as would rome / vatican city

Professional No Lifer
27th Jun 2008, 10:05
I hope they will make a few levels in ghetto style, something peripheral. They should add bums, rats, burning barrels, graffiti on walls, old buildings on the edge of collapsing, thugs that try to mug you, beggars, destroyed vehicles, underground hideouts and gangs (just like the subway level in Deus Ex), riots on the street, ruined buildings, piles of garbage etc. They should keep the atmosphere to a cyberpunk look, just like in the first game. Contemporary design with a few SF elements.

As for locations, I would go for anything from Hawaii Islands to Himalaya cliffs, as long as they include that cool atmosphere that was in Deus Ex and many NPC's to interact with.

PNL

Coliphorbs
27th Jun 2008, 10:47
On the subject of the Atomium building: It may look cool on the outside, but it's a VERY bland and boring building inside. Very confined, and little to no room for a smart level design.

That said, Bruxelles/Brussels will be an amazing place for a story in the flavor of DX. Not only is it a beautiful, intricate city - it's also a meeting place of many international powers.

Any self-respecting conspiracy story should also include Jerusalem - and religion will be a part of it, like it or not. Most conspiracies have their roots in religion (and vice versa); Of course it doesn't have to focus on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but I wouldn't mind seeing it. Part of the original Deus Ex charm was how relevant parts of it were to modern day issues.

I'd also like to see Rome or, more specifically, infiltrate the Vatican's more forbidden areas.

Greece or Turkey could be interesting as well. And I'd like to revisit Hell's Kitchen, of course...

..All that said, I'd really wish DX3 will just pretend IW never happened. Not only was it a terrible story, it turned a frighteningly realistic image of the very near future of our own world into the god damn Jetsons.

Mand'alor The Unholy
15th Jul 2008, 06:54
They should to include a place of controversy. Like Area 51 in the first game. Somewhere in these forums I heard Chernobyl pop up. Maybe a possibility. There are a lot of unknown zones in Russia courtesy of the cold war. But maybe some other places in Germany, like one of the old castles. It'd be kinda like the Cathedral in Paris. Definately someplace in Hong Kong though. Key events happened in Hong Kong before the events in the first game. If the third game is a prequel I can easily see how HK would be a place we'd visit.

Oym
15th Jul 2008, 08:06
1 ) New York of course !
2 ) Chicago !
3 ) Los Angeles + Honk Kong !

urban_queen41
15th Jul 2008, 08:17
I agree with Professional No Lifer- one of my favourite parts of DX was New York, Hell's Kitchen, and how the game illustrated the effects of poverty and the Grey Death. Going through Hell's Kitchen with all the sick, poor people around had a really special atmosphere. The game just had such a unique tone, you could really feel the poverty and desperation oozing through the whole level. Part of this was the inhabitants of the city, of course- I remember how disturbing it was to hear a sick man in pain begging you to kill him in Battery Park.

Somewhere in Asia would be awesome- if not Hong Kong then Tokyo.And Chernobyl sounds like a great idea.

Oym
15th Jul 2008, 08:29
Indeed , seing poor people around was part of the atmosphere .. I hope we'll find it again .. I also hope that most of the missions will be during night , like in Deus Ex 1 where all of them are ..

Chernonyl is a great idea ! What about Moscow ?

gamer0004
15th Jul 2008, 15:26
I remember how disturbing it was to hear a sick man in pain begging you to kill him in Battery Park.

I always knock him unconsious. Then he has no pain anymore, but I can't kill him. That'd be bad. Because there will be a cure in a few days.

Oym
15th Jul 2008, 15:52
Yeah I just do the same thing .. It's smarter than the alternative .. :)

a_noise_severe
15th Jul 2008, 17:32
what about montreal? i was reading about it and the underground city on wikipedia, it looks so cool...

Oym
15th Jul 2008, 18:24
I'd like to see Paris destroyed ( and especially without the Eiffel Tower ) ..

For a change actually .

Romeo
19th Jul 2008, 08:13
Paris, France.

Area 51, Nevada (Or Roswell, New Mexico)

Vancouver, Canada (as I'm sure René will agree with)

And just for kicks, the Lost City of Atlanta.

Oym
19th Jul 2008, 08:35
In my opinion , Paris destroyed would really be a great idea ..

Like people are used to seeing it in all its splendor , we should change it :)

CarloGervasi
19th Jul 2008, 10:40
New York
Los Angeles
Hong Kong

Romeo
20th Jul 2008, 11:05
In my opinion , Paris destroyed would really be a great idea ..

Like people are used to seeing it in all its splendor , we should change it :)

Careful, big brother is always watching. That kind of talk usually ends up with a 9X9 bedroom and a girlfriend named Frank.

Bravehart
20th Jul 2008, 22:42
1. Shanghai - A modern financial capital.

2. London - Show the effects of global warming, with the rising water levels.

3. Dubai - Just purely to see an impression of how it will end up after all the oil dries up.

HouseOfPain
21st Jul 2008, 00:47
Paris, France.

Area 51, Nevada (Or Roswell, New Mexico)

Vancouver, Canada (as I'm sure René will agree with)

I personally never liked the whole "Alien" thing in the Deus Ex Universe...

*shrugs* but I can go with it.

EDIT: Did you say Atlanta?

Romeo
21st Jul 2008, 05:46
Watch Futurama, you'll understand what I'm talking about. Needless to say, there will be plenty of mermaids and Coca-Cola poisining. =)

lightbringerrr
21st Jul 2008, 05:53
Watch Futurama, you'll understand what I'm talking about. Needless to say, there will be plenty of mermaids and Coca-Cola poisining. =)

I'm IN!!!
Hooray; we're USEFUL! WUB-WUB-WUB-WUB-WUB-WUB-WU!!!!! :lol: :nut: :lol: :lmao:

Oym
21st Jul 2008, 08:22
As long as they don't forget New York it's okay for me :o .

jordan_a
21st Jul 2008, 15:19
Not the postcard New York though...

lightbringerrr
21st Jul 2008, 16:20
Not the postcard New York though...

Amen. Who wants to explore Giuliani's 'disneyfied' 42 Street / Times Square? Not Me.

Romeo
22nd Jul 2008, 04:02
I'm IN!!!
Hooray; we're USEFUL! WUB-WUB-WUB-WUB-WUB-WUB-WU!!!!! :lol: :nut: :lol: :lmao:

I'm Zoidburg: Homeowner!

*Several minutes later*

"No my house burned down under water!"
"That makes no sense..."
"Hey that's where I left my cigar!"
"THAT MAKES EVEN LESS SENSE!"

iWait
22nd Jul 2008, 05:14
There were no aliens in the DX universe, the grays were genetically engineered by VersaLife.

jcp28
22nd Jul 2008, 15:40
That's if you count out what was found in the Roswell crash though. Granted, those "aliens" weren't in-game, but that was kind of a base for MJ12 research. Sorry, but the idea of cows and monkeys being the genetic basis for Greys just make me want to...grrrrrrrr

lightbringerrr
22nd Jul 2008, 15:49
I'm Zoidburg: Homeowner!

*Several minutes later*

"No my house burned down under water!"
"That makes no sense..."
"Hey that's where I left my cigar!"
"THAT MAKES EVEN LESS SENSE!"
Zoidberg RULES!
It's too bad the pilot sucked, otherwise I would have been watching since the beginning. Thankfully, the funny channel shows re-runs every night.

Kevyne-Shandris
22nd Jul 2008, 17:03

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But please, no Atlanta. Charleston (big naval base there) or even Savannah (the new bridge is pretty) has more character and more exotic.

Romeo
23rd Jul 2008, 07:48
Zoidberg RULES!
It's too bad the pilot sucked, otherwise I would have been watching since the beginning. Thankfully, the funny channel shows re-runs every night.
Zoidburg is pretty fly, for a crab-guy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But please, no Atlanta. Charleston (big naval base there) or even Savannah (the new bridge is pretty) has more character and more exotic.
But what if the city was underwater, with hot, steamy mermaids?

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Jul 2008, 08:02
But what if the city was underwater, with hot, steamy mermaids?

Atlanta underwater? It's so dry that it wants to steal water from even other states! If they even think about running a pipe from the Savannah river, that's going to be a fight worth remembering. ****

If they want to drown, let them drown in their smog.

I'm a native Georgian, so have little love for the capital and how it tries to interfere with other cities and their growth (like hogging resources to themselves, and keeping for 40 years Savannah and Augusta apart to gain more political power).

Romeo
23rd Jul 2008, 08:04
Atlanta underwater? It's so dry that it wants to steal water from even other states! If they even think about running a pipe from the Savannah river, that's going to be a fight worth remembering. ****

If they want to drown, let them drown in their smog.

I'm a native Georgian, so have little love for the capital and how it tries to interfere with other cities and their growth (like hogging resources to themselves, and keeping for 40 years Savannah and Augusta apart to gain more political power).
Gah, you must watch Futurama. After you do, you'll want Atlanta in the game too! lol

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Jul 2008, 13:39
Hehe, I love Futurama! :cool: :D

Spiffmeister
29th Jul 2008, 09:45
Australia - The only part Australia plays in the first DX is having two minor characters you meet outside the Lucky Money, so lets have more of Australia! :cool:

Venice, Italy - Venice it's old, surrounded by (if not in) water and sinking. It would make a perfect setting for some old conspiracy group (the illuminati). Also the fact that it's made up of islands would make it a large area. Finally, has a great atmosphere. :)

Liberty Island, USA - Maybe the most memorable areas of DX1. The game could visit the founding of UNATCO? or perhaps be part of the bombing by Silhouette on the statue?

Freddo
29th Jul 2008, 10:17
1. Shanghai - A modern financial capital.

2. London - Show the effects of global warming, with the rising water levels.

3. Dubai - Just purely to see an impression of how it will end up after all the oil dries up.
Good choices :)

I really don't want to return to Liberty Island, New York. The place was explored already in DX1 and ruined in DX2. There's no reason to return there. To turn Liberty Island into some kind of Deus Ex tradition only because it's "cool" is a lousy reason. The place is done, time for something new.

I want something like Hong Kong again. Large place with many NPCs, party places, city gangs, apartments to explore and, of course, a top secret corperation facility. It's perfect.

The location doesn't really matter much, but I want 3-4 cities like that in DX3. One in asia (Shanghai, Seoul, Osaka), one in Europe (London, Venice) and one in North America (Chicago or whatever), and then some place else (Dubai).

jcp28
29th Jul 2008, 15:40
Liberty Island, USA - Maybe the most memorable areas of DX1. The game could visit the founding of UNATCO? or perhaps be part of the bombing by Silhouette on the statue?

Silhouette didn't bomb the statue, UNATCO or someone other MJ12 arm framed them.

lightbringerrr
29th Jul 2008, 15:51
Good choices :)

I really don't want to return to Liberty Island, New York. The place was explored already in DX1 and ruined in DX2. There's no reason to return there. To turn Liberty Island into some kind of Deus Ex tradition only because it's "cool" is a lousy reason. The place is done, time for something new.

I want something like Hong Kong again. Large place with many NPCs, party places, city gangs, apartments to explore and, of course, a top secret corperation facility. It's perfect.

The location doesn't really matter much, but I want 3-4 cities like that in DX3. One in asia (Shanghai, Seoul, Osaka), one in Europe (London, Venice) and one in North America (Chicago or whatever), and then some place else (Dubai).

Yep; no more Liberty Island. Chicago go bye-bye in IW; not possible to visit unless you like wandering around nano-destroyed wasteland.
More Tracer Tong-time in Asia; Tong Cool.
Bring back Savage; Savage Cool. ReinClone-ate Walton Simons. Simons MUCH fun to piss-off and spar with; ALWAYS good time killing Simons!
Bring back snotty French Dumier. The more chances I get to kill this French weasel, the happier my world is! DEATH TO FROGGY!!!:nut: :lol: :lmao:

Freddo
29th Jul 2008, 15:55
Chicago go bye-bye in IW; not possible to visit unless you like wandering around nano-destroyed wasteland.
Oh right, didn't think of that.

Jimmy Rabbitte
30th Jul 2008, 04:16
Somewhere in Germany. Gotta have the original Bavarian Illuminati show up in some way.

Maybe that can tie in with switzerland. They have a lot of banks there. Bank conspiracy?

Russia is a must as well. Russia's just a cesspit of corruption.

Maybe we can play in South America as well. There's always room for Communists that the american government want to assassinate.

Japan is a must as well. Japan is just the paragon of technological advancement, especially IT.

Yep; no more Liberty Island. Chicago go bye-bye in IW; not possible to visit unless you like wandering around nano-destroyed wasteland.
Unless DX3 turns out to be a prequel which seems very likely given the nature of the teaser trailer.

HouseOfPain
30th Jul 2008, 04:20
Australia - The only part Australia plays in the first DX is having two minor characters you meet outside the Lucky Money, so lets have more of Australia! :cool:

Venice, Italy - Venice it's old, surrounded by (if not in) water and sinking. It would make a perfect setting for some old conspiracy group (the illuminati). Also the fact that it's made up of islands would make it a large area. Finally, has a great atmosphere. :)

Venice is a great choice, in Deus Ex, I hated putting points in the Swimming skill because you only call for it in the Canals and in the Sub Base. I would like them to add more watery levels (Massive water exploration!)

lightbringerrr
30th Jul 2008, 04:56
Unless DX3 turns out to be a prequel which seems very likely given the nature of the teaser trailer.

Mmm...possible, but daddy says:
NEGATORY!
Don't forget; there is such a thing as disinformation. The only reason to go 'prequel' is if you need to eliminate the endings of DX1 and IW as canon, so you can make many more games in the series.
This would also assume that 'DX3' is just a working title. In the "Worst God-Awful Case Scenario", we'd end up with something in the pitiful realm of:
'DEUS EX3: ASCENT TO TECHNOCRACY', or some such nonsense accumulating in a final scene where agents like Gunther and Anna are shown being wheeled in to surgery to get their mech-limbs.
Who knows what the merry, happy hell these people are up to? That BLOG can't get here fast enough.

DXeXodus
30th Jul 2008, 05:15
How about good old South Africa :D