PDA

View Full Version : Codename 47 crashes on launch

dshoub
25th Nov 2007, 01:38
After watching the new Hitman movie (which was awesome by the way) I decided to dust off my copy of Codename 47, install it and play it. I have a very high end computer but I run XP Pro, not vista. After installing the game, and restarting my PC, when I try and launch Hitman, it crashes. It says it encounters an unknown error and had to close. I tried patching it but it didn't help. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but the same thing still happened. Anyone have this problem?

Edit:

The error message says:

Hitman.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The data in the report is:

Error signature
AppName: hitman.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: ~de18b0.tmp
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0000ebd4

Xcom
26th Nov 2007, 12:16
I have a very high end computer

You should always post your specs. ;)

Anyway, you're obviously not the only one who has experienced crash.
Here are a few things I remember that could possibly fix it:

- trying OpenGL rendering mode instead of DirectX. I believe you can set it by running setup.exe

- the game generally doesn't "like" dual core CPU's. Since you can get into the game, you'll need special program (like imagecfg (http://www.robpol86.com/Pages/imagecfg.php)) to try and set affinity to one core only. Of course, if you don't have dual core CPU, forget this.

- Lowering sound hardware acceleration has been known to fix lots of problems with Hitman. It can be done in dxdiag screen (start->run-> type "dxdiag" and ok). Then go to sound tab and use the slider to to set acceleration to basic level or off.

In addition, I can only say that people have managed to run C47 under XP, only the troubleshooting is extremely difficult. The reasons why it crashes can originate from completely different areas.

Good luck!

Frodo33
27th Nov 2007, 16:14
I had the same problem. I tried the options above and none of them worked.

I did notice the DVD Rom was not starting... I swapped out to a CD ROM and it worked fine. In fact I reset the sound to full acceleration and it still worked great.