PDA

View Full Version : Inactivity bug

MBO
21st Nov 2007, 23:56
Sometimes, when I try to pick a lock...I click the door/chest...and Garret does nothing! He just stands still.

Sometimes, Wall Flattening doesn't work either. I press T aganist a wall, Garret hits the wall, but I don't hear his whispering, and I can't even move. In 2 or 3 seconds, he'll automatically move off the wall.

My game version is 1.1 Is this the latest? Does anyone have any idea how I can work around these issues?

So far I've been able to pick locks leading to mission-critical locations and items, but when such thing happens...I'm likely gonna uninstall this game out of anger. :mad2:

Peter_Smith
22nd Nov 2007, 17:59
I've never heard of this problem, but that doesn't mean much. Maybe someone else will come along who has.

It sounds to me like a performance issue with your system. It is definitely not typical behavior. I am moving this to the tech support forum.

Please post your system stats.

Edit: Why are you changing from the default forum font to "Georgia"? It is not so easy to read, IMO.

MBO
22nd Nov 2007, 22:59
I personally think the Georgia font looks better, but I'll stay on the default.

My system is as follows:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66 GHz)
2 GB RAM
GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB

I don't remember the specifics(such as memory clock and so on), but that's it in a nutshell. I'm running Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

I've tried resetting the "interact" and "Wall flatten" functions to different keys, but that doesn't help.

Peter_Smith
23rd Nov 2007, 08:45
Your system should be capable, obviously.

Have you tried setting affinity to one processor? I didn't think T3 needed it, but it may be worth a try.

Also, what version of the game do you have? For example, is it a Steam version?

Do other games play OK?

MBO
23rd Nov 2007, 16:39
How do I set affinity?

It's the normal retail version, non-Steam, and every other game I installed, from Fable to Gears of War, works perfectly in this sense.

Peter_Smith
23rd Nov 2007, 18:45
As a test, start the game, hit (CTRL-ALT-DEL), select Task Manager, and select Processes tab. Find image name T3Main.exe. Right click on the name T3Main.exe. Select Set Affinity. Uncheck CPU 1 and hit OK. Click on T3 taskbar icon to resume. It will revert back to two CPUs the next time you start the game. BTW, this is the only way I know to exit to desktop leaving Deadly Shadows running, so (CTRL-ALT-DEL) is a good trick to know even if you do nothing in the Task Manager.

I suspect this will do no good, but you never know. I do not need it. If it does do you some good, then ask later about, or search for, Salvage's permanent fix involving imgcfg.

Another thing you might do is to deinstall completely the Nvidia video drivers, reboot, and install driver version 163.71. I recommend this version because it allows Thief 1 (TDP or Gold) to run, if that makes a difference to you. With previous versions, T1 crashes. And, I know it works for all three Thief games, and it is a recent driver, so it should not affect your other games.

EDIT: Thanks for adjusting your font. I did some font comparisons in Word, and now I understand why I did not like Georgia. First, it is a serif font, so it looks strange here. More important, Georgia has larger type face and crams the characters close together with very little white space between characters. So it is, in fact, (for me) harder to read. I have never seen anyone actually use it before. I agree that it is personal taste.

Timiditas
17th Dec 2007, 18:37
I know that behaviour. Happened to me some days ago, when I reinstalled Thief 3.
It IS a performance issue, however not as Peter thought. Your rig is too fast. High FPS cause Thief to act strangely on timed actions. Compatibility modes and locked proc affinity won't do anything to solve this.

I solved it by activating V-Synch, which locks the FPS to the refresh rate of your display (60Hz in my case). If putting on v-synch in the game options has no effect for you, you gotta force v-synch for Thief3 by using the NVidia control panel. :thumbsup:

This has, however, the strange side-effect that the game needs more time to load maps (or the main menu). (You can see the progress bar move way slower than without activated v-synch, although the harddisk is already idling long before it reaches 50%). :mad2:

V-Synch. Hope this will help you.

Peter_Smith
21st Dec 2007, 17:44
Thanks Timiditas.:) Ah yes. I always have Vsync enabled because (a) it is necessary to play Thief 2 at normal speed, (b) it does no harm for other games, and (c) it may prevent tearing artifacts. Your eye cannot see frame rates above a particular value, and it seems to me that vsync off is useful only for benchmarks.

I imagine MBO will not see this, because he seems to have posed a question a month ago, asked us to spend our time with responses, and left without a thank you or word of explanation. :(

EDIT: I just focused on your remark about making the save game load more slowly. That is interesting. Probably a bug caused by refreshing that stupid progress bar.

Timiditas
22nd Dec 2007, 13:16
Thanks Timiditas.:) Ah yes. I always have Vsync enabled because (a) it is necessary to play Thief 2 at normal speed, (b) it does no harm for other games, and (c) it may prevent tearing artifacts.
Regarding tearing, I hardly noticed tearing in other games, but Thief3 is an exception. The tearing here is to such an extent obtrusive that v-synch is a must not only because of the "inactivity bug" we talked about here (although my display could play its part in this as well methinks).

Your eye cannot see frame rates above a particular value, and it seems to me that vsync off is useful only for benchmarks.
V-synch off is also useful to keep performance up if the framerate drops down *below* your displays refresh rate. If your computer delivers in one scene 55 frames per second, and your display runs with 60Hz, then the actual framerate drops to 30(!) FPS with v-synch on. If it delivers less than 30 (29 or whatever) it instantly drops to 15FPS. Thats why I usually like to keep it off.

I imagine MBO will not see this, because he seems to have posed a question a month ago, asked us to spend our time with responses, and left without a thank you or word of explanation. :(

There are three points, that let me care to register to the forum to reply to this thread:

1. As I said, I had the same problem with T3, but found the solution between registering and posting ;)
2. There would be the possibility that he had activated email notification on reply to this thread (okay, that won't gentrify his behaviour)
And third but not least:
I bet there will be others, who will experience the same bug.
By the way, I found this particular thread via Google, not through the boards search function. :D

EDIT: I just focused on your remark about making the save game load more slowly. That is interesting. Probably a bug caused by refreshing that stupid progress bar.
Agreed.
I always hoped there would be at least one more patch for Thief 3, but it seems the leafsy lord is mad at us. Me headsick for hoping for upside world :mad2: