PDA

View Full Version : XBOX 360 PAD ONLY or how to make you sweat more money

tanzaemon
18th Nov 2007, 11:49
Hi folks i just had confirmation today that coop is only playable with a xbox360 gamepad...

Well great idea, the coop feature was one of the most anticipated but ofc they forgot to say "well coop is great if you buy a xbox360 gamepad cause if you don't that feature is just waste of diskspace"

I guess its once again that Microsoft way of doing things... put stupid software like live gaming on your computer and keep that genuine monopoly spirit: buy microsoft or get a half playable game (for full price of course).

Find a way to put my non microsoft gamepad to work cause i really got to say and its just a personnal opinion that of course got nothing to do with this board and people running it but Msoft kinda sucks no?

And isn't my right to choose wich hardware i wanna use? dispite of compatibility issues cause of course getting more than one pad to work require some extra work and extra work takes time... and time is money.

Sick of being duped.

Cheers

Yet Another disappointed customer.

ChinaWhite
18th Nov 2007, 16:03
How is it Microsofts fault? Do you know how the games for windows program works? Obviously not. Developers when making games for the games for windows program must follow strict standards. As much as i dislike Microsoft as the next person you're complaint against Microsoft couldn't be futher from the truth as Pluto is from Earth.

Games which wish to be included in the Games for Windows platform must meet certain requirements regulated by Microsoft. These include, but are not limited to:

* An "Easy Install" option that installs the title on your PC in the fewest possible steps and mouse clicks
* Compatibility with the Windows Vista Games Explorer (see below)
* Compatibility with the Xbox 360 controller (where applicable)
* Installs and runs properly on x64 versions of Windows Vista and is compatible with 64-bit processors (though the game itself can be 32-bit)
* Supports normal and widescreen resolutions, such as 4:3 aspect ratio (800 x 600, 1024 x 768), 16:9 aspect ratio (1280 x 720), and 16:10 aspect ratio (1152 x 720, 1280 x 800)
* Launching from Media Center (Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate have Media Center)

While not a required feature at this time, some Games For Windows certified games are playable during the game's installation, making PC games more convenient and more similar to console games, in that players aren't required to wait until the game's installation is complete before they can play the game. This feature is known as Tray and Play, and is available in Halo 2 for Vista.

If a developer wishes to create a game for Games for Windows Live similar regulations must be met, such as NAT support for routers, achivement points, mic support etc.. None of these standards or regulations say that a game developer can force you to use a gamepad. Maybe this breaks this code set by Microsoft, I'm not sure.

If K&L co-op only works with a gamepad that is a developer decision, as there is no set standard in the Games for windows/live program that states you must force gamers to use gamepads, it says it should be compatible nothing more. The more realistic explanation, is when they ported the game to the PC they didn't have time to make it directly for the PC so left the console code there upto and including gamepad, I wouldn't be suprised if they bring out a patch.

tanzaemon
18th Nov 2007, 16:46
Who are you working for?

Who cares about playing before you installed? and what's the F*** point here. I don't want any games for windows ribbon on my game box.

And if i play on pc it's maybe cause i don't like the console huh? Why waste 2000€ in a computer if i can get a 400€ console?

Cause you got some choices with a computer...

I choose the GPU i want, i choose the processor i want same with my gamepad.

Would like to see your face if they decide to make a game intel processors only... it's exactly the same with a gamepad.

And don't talk to me about standards just look at the gears of war retail on pc ... Talk about standards and easy to install games. I don't like needing a third party software to run my game same with gamespy and all other 3rd party.

Keep it like that maybe they will send you a "gamer for windows" ribbon.

Cheers sheep mates

ChinaWhite
18th Nov 2007, 17:14
Who are you working for?

Who cares about playing before you installed? and what's the F*** point here. I don't want any games for windows ribbon on my game box.

And if i play on pc it's maybe cause i don't like the console huh? Why waste 2000€ in a computer if i can get a 400€ console?

Cause you got some choices with a computer...

I choose the GPU i want, i choose the processor i want same with my gamepad.

Would like to see your face if they decide to make a game intel processors only... it's exactly the same with a gamepad.

And don't talk to me about standards just look at the gears of war retail on pc ... Talk about standards and easy to install games. I don't like needing a third party software to run my game same with gamespy and all other 3rd party.

Keep it like that maybe they will send you a "gamer for windows" ribbon.

Cheers sheep mates

LOL? are you really that Ignorant? You complained about Microsoft forcing you to play with Gamepads, I have shown you with Microsofts Regulations which Developers have to follow it's not possible, do you understand? Games for Windows is just a marketting compaign, in all honesty and applies standards which should of been in Pc gamimg for years. It's just been refined such as choice of input, ease of use.

You can debate that it's wrong or not and it's a monopoly, but if so, how come you're not complaining about Microsoft being the Monopoly in Direct X which doesn't work on other platform well, or if at all where as OpenGl is an open platform. Not a peep out of you on that huh?

I have Gears of War on the PC, the game runs fine with a few hitches of stutter here and there not enough to ruin my gaming experience. While a minority can't run the game this isn't any different then with any game released on the PC, check the Crysis forum, this forum, World in Conflict, Command and Conquer, Half-Life 2.. etc... etc... When HL2 first game out there was a sound problem which gave people crackly sound, this was a codec issue, but like you here you could blame Microsoft for it, thats how silly your complaint is.

There is no game where no one at all has an issue with it, you will find a majority play it fine a small minority can't. Gamers as a rule try to find the most convienient person to blame regardless if it's fitting or not, if Games for Windows wasn't there it would be IO Interactive, or Eidos forcing them to rush the game or someone other excuse.

"I choose the GPU i want, i choose the processor i want same with my gamepad.

Would like to see your face if they decide to make a game intel processors only... it's exactly the same with a gamepad."

I have been gaming since the 80's and there have been games which would only work on Intel MMX processors, wouldn't work on AMD, I've been there done that. I think the point you're missing is this is what Games for Windows forbids, it wants standards so that developers have to adhere to them so it;s fully compatible, so it gives gamers choice of keyboard or gamepad, like I said it shouldn't force you as that would in my belief break that standard, so who is to blame? Io Interactive.

I don't like the iudea of being forced to use a gamepad, and for your information i'm a PC gamer, what I don't like is people who point their finger at a branding and go it's their fault without any facts what so ever, and when shown the standards of that brand, and the balme cannot be pointed there you try to make fun of the standards. What is funny to me is every developer who uses Direct X has to follow strict standards, these standards are what make up the games for windows branding, developers have been using Dx for years..

Also you may want to read http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb173456.aspx#_1.4 and read "Support the Xbox 360 Common Controller for Windows" it blows out the water your conspiracy theory when that standard must be followed, so now you know who is at fault.

majikfx
18th Nov 2007, 18:19
ok well i don't want to make a new thread. So wy is it that it's only xbox360 controllers? I went and bought myself a gamepad and once i got this game it says you can only play with an xbox360 game controller. I had high hopes for this game, but yeh it was disappointing to see this. Is there going to be a patch or anything in the future which supports normal game controllers?

tNok85
19th Nov 2007, 13:02
LOL? are you really that Ignorant? You complained about Microsoft forcing you to play with Gamepads, I have shown you with Microsofts Regulations which Developers have to follow it's not possible, do you understand? Games for Windows is just a marketting compaign, in all honesty and applies standards which should of been in Pc gamimg for years. It's just been refined such as choice of input, ease of use.

I know you understand this, but some people might not.. "Games for Windows" is NOT a requirement to make games. There are TONS of good games that are not "Games for Windows". It's just a ****ty marketing campaign made by Microsoft so that people who are not incredibly efficient with computers will pick them up and say "Hey, this one says 'Games for Windows' and that one doesn't.. I'll get the one that says it's for Windows!"

And if they're not out there already, you can bet there will be emulators to make your computer think you're playing with an XBox gamepad instead of the other brand joystick/gamepad you actually have. So don't worry too much.

You can debate that it's wrong or not and it's a monopoly, but if so, how come you're not complaining about Microsoft being the Monopoly in Direct X which doesn't work on other platform well, or if at all where as OpenGl is an open platform. Not a peep out of you on that huh?.

This is a little different than forcing a player to use their gamepad. When there are two main options (being DirectX and OpenGL in this case) and one is open source, the other is developed through big company $$$, the one with the big company $$$ will usually win when they're using it for standardization. Open source is nice, but in reality DirectX is actually better funded and supported. So, the quality of a product vs. forcing somebody to use a certain gamepad is a different league.

Withoutbox360gamapadonPC
20th Nov 2007, 00:27
Anyone knows where to find a emulater so that PC thinks its a xbox gamepad, so i can use my normal gamepad?

Besides that i think its crazy to release af PC version where you only can use xboxcontroller.....

ksyme99
24th Nov 2007, 22:32
Reason for this? Im guessing Eidos have to pay Microsoft some big bucks to get their game in this programme. Im also guessing that by making some gold account exclusive content and making you need an xbox controller, they might have got a discount. Just my theory, as I see no other reason for them to restrict people like this.

mytech
25th Nov 2007, 15:32
No one forces Eidos to use Games for Windows or whatever. Its their choice but they have to write it on the package if one need an Xbox Controller. I dont understandt why the choose this Microsoft sh** but there is nothing good on it.

reallynothappy
25th Nov 2007, 21:05
Most PC gamers spend quite alot of money on hardware per annum, myself included. It costs far more to PC game than it does to console game, it's just a fact and I'm used to it. So the fact that I had to buy a 360 controller for 40 bucks really doesn't bother me. The split screen co-op on PC is a real doosie though, why not Online/LAN? I suppose that's a different discussion, so I digress.

What ticks me off is that the 40 dollar controller I bought, the same one that installed perfectly in Windows Vista Ultimate x64, and identifies correctly as Xbox 360 Controller for Windows in Device Manager, isn't recognized by this game. I go through all this hassle just to play a couple hours of Co-op with a friend who's a console gamer to begin with and would be happy playing with a controller, and this game STILL tells me to plug in a 360 controller when I select co-op. Maybe if I'm lucky the Customer Service desk at Wal-Mart will be nice and let me return both the game and the controller. Apparently neither of them was worth my money. (I haven't been able to try the controller yet, it may still work fine with other games, but I know the game wasn't worth my money.)

jaywalker2309
26th Nov 2007, 12:39
Kane and Lynch: Dead men is Games for Windows LIVE, not just Games for Windows.

The LIVE bit is very important as it has a totally different set of requirements from just G4W compliance.

We have to submit the code to MS who actually test it like a 360 title. We have to PASS at MS before we can ship.

jaywalker2309
26th Nov 2007, 12:40
Most PC gamers spend quite alot of money on hardware per annum, myself included. It costs far more to PC game than it does to console game, it's just a fact and I'm used to it. So the fact that I had to buy a 360 controller for 40 bucks really doesn't bother me. The split screen co-op on PC is a real doosie though, why not Online/LAN? I suppose that's a different discussion, so I digress.

What ticks me off is that the 40 dollar controller I bought, the same one that installed perfectly in Windows Vista Ultimate x64, and identifies correctly as Xbox 360 Controller for Windows in Device Manager, isn't recognized by this game. I go through all this hassle just to play a couple hours of Co-op with a friend who's a console gamer to begin with and would be happy playing with a controller, and this game STILL tells me to plug in a 360 controller when I select co-op. Maybe if I'm lucky the Customer Service desk at Wal-Mart will be nice and let me return both the game and the controller. Apparently neither of them was worth my money. (I haven't been able to try the controller yet, it may still work fine with other games, but I know the game wasn't worth my money.)

Did you buy the Wireless controller? or the wired one?

The Wireless controller is not supported by MS yet (am sure they'll sort this out later with a driver update).