PDA

View Full Version : AUDIO/MUSIC How about an Announcer?!

r0ckwolf
4th Dec 2013, 21:38
Hi everyone,
while playing today, this hit me. An Announcer, if done right, could really set a nice mute for the game. Don´t get me wrong, the music and SFX are already top notch, but an Killstreak Announcer could really amplify the feeling of Action on the Battlefield.
I was immediately thinking how breathtakingly AWESOME it would be if you could get the originall Voice Actors of Kain and Raziel to do this, maybe Moebius for the Humans....
This would be a great way of rewarding Players for Actions on the Battlefield and the originall Voice Actors would be awesome for the Job.
(While we´re on the subject: please don´t ever integrate Killstreak rewards in the game that give actuall bonuses, like in modren shooters. I doubt you were planning to, just needed to get it out of my system. It ruins every skill based competition!!!)

What do you think? It´s probably way to early to talk about something like this... But maybe somewhere down the road!:D
And ofcourse this would need to be optional! In my experience most Players like this a lot, but there is always a fair percentage that gets anoyed by them.

greetings

r0ckwolf

Oroibahazopi
4th Dec 2013, 21:43
Eh, I kind of prefer my character just muttering to itself. You'll notice your char will say most of the announcer type things over the course of the match.

r0ckwolf
4th Dec 2013, 21:50
Yeah, i noticed that. It´s a nice subtle touch. Still... Kain´s Voice screaming at you how badass you are for killing a bunch of Humans would be epic!!!:worship:

Oroibahazopi
4th Dec 2013, 21:54
Well there's been a large back and forth about this issue in the open forums. The argument against is that Kain, Raziel and Mobeus aren't around to announce anyway.

Here's that thread though http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=7327

Strike5150
4th Dec 2013, 22:00
Nice idea, announcers are a great way to make it more fun for spectators too, which is ultimately one of the goals of this game.

RainaAudron
4th Dec 2013, 22:02
I don´t really like the idea, I think an announcer might be rather distracting when playing.

Thyrskall
4th Dec 2013, 22:07
Gotta agree, an announcer like in UT or similiar games wouldn't suit the setting. However, the muttering Oroibahazopi already mentioned i s really nice and atmospheric. Wouldn't mind to have more of it, especially throughout the game commenting some nice actions and moves.

cmstache
4th Dec 2013, 23:19
Honestly, I think an announcer would be better if it said something like "Enemy player has a streak." or "Allied player has a streak." Names are dumb as they won't be pronounced by the computer right anyways. Just something to say "hey, there's a player on that team that's owning you all, kill him first"

Psyonix_Corey
5th Dec 2013, 00:06
Consensus among the team and involved parties at Square throughout development has been that an announcer would not fit the atmosphere correctly.

You either end up with:
- An over-the-top UT announcer (doesn't fit at all)
- An in-universe announcer (doesn't work for lore/logic reasons - even if he wasn't MIA in this time period already, why is Kain announcing skirmishes and not participating?)

That said there has been interest in more prominent UI notifications for kill streaks and such. It's currently there, but only shows for you (You get a "triple Kill" XP notification for instance). We wouldn't be against having an audio stinger and a UI message saying someone got a Quad Kill, just don't want Raziel saying it..

r0ckwolf
5th Dec 2013, 12:20
Consensus among the team and involved parties at Square throughout development has been that an announcer would not fit the atmosphere correctly.

You either end up with:
- An over-the-top UT announcer (doesn't fit at all)
- An in-universe announcer (doesn't work for lore/logic reasons - even if he wasn't MIA in this time period already, why is Kain announcing skirmishes and not participating?)

That said there has been interest in more prominent UI notifications for kill streaks and such. It's currently there, but only shows for you (You get a "triple Kill" XP notification for instance). We wouldn't be against having an audio stinger and a UI message saying someone got a Quad Kill, just don't want Raziel saying it..

Hmm, that´s a shame. I can absolutely understand the reasoning for this decision and i have nothing but admiration for the care, with which you guys handle the source material. But maybe you will consider this: This game has the very real potential to become one of the most successful F2P games yet and every game needs to take some creative liberties when it comes to it´s development as an standalone product. An Announcer in an comptitive PvP game exists kinnda outside the game Universe and is just there to set the mute or amplify the feeling of Action, there is no need to justify it from a lore prespective, even for die hard fans.
Let me give you an example. Heroes of Newerth is one of the most successful Moba games out there and i´ve been playing it since the open beta. The lore is vast and dense in that game and a lot of work flows into it´s development. Nonetheless have Announcers been a core part of the gameplay action since the beginning, they have a totall of 6 or 7 different ones today, a lot of them are quiet silly i must admit, but that doesn´t take away the fun of them or break the lore of the game. Recently they got Samuel Jackson as a Voice Actor for a new Announcer and it´s hillarious... it´s even called "The Samuel Jackson Announcer".

My point is that Announcers can be a great deal of fun and it doesn´t necessarily break the lore of the game.

i hope you might reconsider this in the future.^^

greetings

r0ckwolf

SleepySomnus
5th Dec 2013, 16:23
I really like that there is no announcer. I truly enjoy when your character mutters "die leech" or "should of stayed a slave" much better than some over the top voice from nowhere.

Varulven
5th Dec 2013, 16:42
An announcer? Sounds a bit like Mortal Kombat xDDD
No, no. I like the fact that the Characters themselfs are 'announcing' ^^

Oroibahazopi
5th Dec 2013, 16:44
Please let me disable this lol

Archadae
5th Dec 2013, 18:35
An announcer would be great. Preferablly some sexy vampire lady or even better - Simon Templeman himself.

RainaAudron
5th Dec 2013, 21:13
I must say I like that each character has its own line, much more appropriate and fitting.