PDA

View Full Version : Thief 2 The Metal Age and Thief: Deadly Shadows are not working.

Morfeadir
13th Nov 2007, 18:49
I just bought the Thief Collection, which has Thief, Thief II and Thief III in it. I installed them to my computer without any problems. Thief: The Dark Project worked just fine, but I had some problems with Thief II and III. When I started Thief II, watched the intro, started a new game, watched the cinematic and started the mission, I saw the game world for a few seconds and then I received an error message telling me that Thief 2: The Metal Age has detected an error and the game will shut (I'm from Finland so the message was in finnish, I hope I translated it well enough.) Same thing happens with Thief: Deadly Shadows, when I start the game the screen turns black for a while and I'll return to the desktop and I receive the same error message (this time from th3main.exe.)

My computers information is right here:
Processor: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2600+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.9GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Graphic Card name: CONNECT 3D RADEON 9550
Display Memory: 256.0 MB

My english is moderate so I hope you understood me.

theBlackman
13th Nov 2007, 22:06
Your XP CPU uses "Dual or Hyperthreading". T3 and a lot of other games won't run with that.

Try a SEARCH for both words. There are posts with "fixes" that will help you.

I don't have a link handy, but use the SEARCH in both the T3 forum and the Tech forum. You should find a answer to how to disable that dual core, hyperthread function.

Try this:
http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm

Morfeadir
14th Nov 2007, 10:52
I did as the guide told me (in http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm), but Thief II was still not working. After the first mission's cinematic, when the game world appears, the game freezes and I receive an error message. Thief III is not working either.

Peter_Smith
14th Nov 2007, 17:43
If T3 is failing, then it seems that the problem you have is none of the common problems associated with T2. I can think of two possible issues. The video card or the setting of affinity.

I would guess it has something to do with your video card or its drivers. Do other fairly recent games play properly? If not, then you have a general problem with your system. I would try upgrading drivers first to see if that helps. If not, you could try another AGP video card for a while. Can you borrow one? That is a standard answer based on my ignorance of the problem. I would also search various places here, at TTLG, and the internet for CONNECT 3D and see if you can learn something.

As for the affinity, I think the Athlon XP 2600+ is a single processor CPU. It does not have hyperthreading because that is a feature of Intel only. Check the Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL). You should see a single CPU displayed in the Performance tab. Is this correct? If so, setting affinity is not necessary. I suppose it would do no harm to set affinity to the first CPU (labeled CPU 0) but I am not completely sure. I guess it would fail if you set affinity to the second CPU (labeled CPU 1), which does not exist. If you have only one CPU, I suggest you go back to the original EXE just to eliminate a possible source of error.

Morfeadir
16th Nov 2007, 16:29
"Do other fairly recent games play properly?"
- Well, not the most recent as they require a better computer, but games like World of Warcraft, Half-life 2 and Rome: Total War work perfectly, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion works moderately on medium settings. Thief III Demo worked just fine on my computer and so did Thief II Demo. The problem may have something to do with the game CDs, but they have no scratches or other "visible damage" on them.

"Check the Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL). You should see a single CPU displayed in the Performance tab. Is this correct?"
- Yes, it is. It shows only a single CPU in the Perfomance tab.

I'll try checking for new drivers for my video card.

Morfeadir
19th Nov 2007, 17:01
Problem solved, my video card had installed the new driver, but had not removed the old one. I removed both the old and new drivers and installed the new one. Now both Thief II and Thief III are working. Thank you.

Peter_Smith
21st Nov 2007, 01:38
You are welcome.:) Glad it turned out to be so simple. I did that myself a little while ago. I became accustomed to Nvidia drivers being able to upgrade without doing a de-install of the old version. Then they nailed me. It took a long time to figure it out. What was happening, I imagine, is that some files were new and some were old, and the mixed bag worked on many things but not Thief 1. Lesson learned.