PDA

View Full Version : BOTH FACTIONS What is or will be the purpose of the leveling system!?

r0ckwolf
3rd Dec 2013, 22:00
Hi there everyone,
after todays gaming session it is unclear to me what the purpose of the leveling system is. You have some sort of profile level and the individuall class level. What is the difference? What can i gain from leveling? What would be an incentive to keep leveling?
I guess that you (the dev team), have an goal in mind what purpose the leveling system will serve. If you could share some of what you have planned, that would be awesome. ^^

Let me raise some concerns though. I have seen a system in other games, in which you need to level up a class to gain or be able to equip certain abilities or weapons. As a goal to work towards for the player this might seem like a valid idea, but the reality is that it gives Veteran Players or just those with more free time to play an distinct edge in the game. For an competitive PvP game that is a huge "NO NO"!
Aesthetic customization seems like a bad idea from a buisness point of view, so i´m not sure what we are left with. Maybe you guys (the community) can help me and post some cool ideas here.

greetings

r0ckwolf

Oroibahazopi
3rd Dec 2013, 22:46
Level based progression is terrible yes. They may use it for matchmaking, which is also bad in my opinion. Or segregating players into "got roughly the same gear options" categories and then use a proper ranking system, which is better or even good.

You don't need an incentive to level as all it does is record how long you have been playing the game and doesn't require you to do other random stuff outside the 4v4 arena.

People will pay for skins and people will pay to get those first few gears unlocked or just to finish off their collections, there's a precedent for it It just hinges on how popular Nosgoth will be when launched.

RainaAudron
3rd Dec 2013, 22:57
I hope the numbers for individual classes are purely to let you and others know how much you have played the class, just like the player´s level. If it would affect anything, that just wouldn´t be fair and skilled based anymore and making high lv players always be in huge advantage. Now all it is is just skill, which I´m happy for.

hirukaru
3rd Dec 2013, 23:23
Well the levels might effect the usage of certain special future items.
But these items are not stronger but just has other options like:

Fast shooting but reduced damage (or reduced arrows)
Etc.
We just have to wait what Psyonix right :)

Psyonix_Corey
4th Dec 2013, 00:57
We had level based item progression at one point but pulled it before Alpha.

The current design for Beta is:
- Class levels award Gold most of the time, but on special levels (5,10, etc.) you get a Class-specific reward
- At high class levels you may get access to alternate skins exclusive to players who have leveled up that class to that point
- Rank rewards are still being discussed but Class unlocks will likely be tied to Rank (e.g. if Vampire Class 4 & Human class 4 come out, you might have to achieve Rank 10 to unlock one and Rank 15 to unlock another).

In general we don't want players to specifically grind for a "carrot on a stick" - it encourages a game loop (endless content acquisition) that we don't want to feed. We look at games like TF2, DOTA2, LoL as role models where you log on to play the game and get bonus cool stuff for just doing what you enjoy (occasional class stuff for the class you like playing, uncommon/rare items to further customize your normal loadout, etc.).

r0ckwolf
4th Dec 2013, 12:51
In general we don't want players to specifically grind for a "carrot on a stick" - it encourages a game loop (endless content acquisition) that we don't want to feed. We look at games like TF2, DOTA2, LoL as role models where you log on to play the game and get bonus cool stuff for just doing what you enjoy (occasional class stuff for the class you like playing, uncommon/rare items to further customize your normal loadout, etc.).

This is a great relief! :D I´ve been playing another F2P game very actively for the last year (cough..space-ninjas..cough) and it suffers from this like cancer, constantly throwing new stuff to grind at you, creating an impassable grindwall for new players and boring the hell out of veterans. Gettin cool stuff for playin is nice, if some of that is tied to a progression bar that´s fine as long as it is tightly balanced. But the absolute focus and priority always needs to be thecore gameplay and mechanics.

I´m very very glad to hear that you at psyonix seem to feel the same way!^^

TOCHIRO19
4th Dec 2013, 14:34
Def yes. During leveling, no stats or equip advantage should exist. Maybe some changes which opens new ways, new tactics, but still well balanced. Best way is to filter players for lobby. I don't know how high will be placed the level cap, and how many borders there woul be. Maybe some visiual upgrades to customize character (I don't whink each single character of same class has to look exactly same).

DX2014
23rd Mar 2014, 12:25
We had level based item progression at one point but pulled it before Alpha.

- Class levels award Gold most of the time, but on special levels (5,10, etc.) you get a Class-specific reward

Sorry to awaken an old thread but can we have a clearer list of class specific unlock levels.

I had to wait almost 2 days for my tyrant level 10 unlock, and just hit 15 with my alchemist and received a scout reward for hitting level 10 with him yesterday. It's all over the place atm, and is becoming difficult to track whether or not a reward has been given for reaching a level goal.

I've heard other players have also had to wait extended periods to receive unlocks.

If I knew with certainty which rewards are supposed to pop and when, I could then keep a clearer record and report back exactly what is going on for you lovely Psyonix people to figure out a fix.

hirukaru
23rd Mar 2014, 14:36
The Leveling system is not a high priority (if I am correct)
The devs have something in mind to do with it giving regulary a gift etc.
that is known.
Until now it is know that every 5 levels you should et a unlock token and it is known that there is a to long of a delay in there.

The devs will release more information when they created the content.

Razaiim
23rd Mar 2014, 15:43
Sorry to awaken an old thread but can we have a clearer list of class specific unlock levels.

I had to wait almost 2 days for my tyrant level 10 unlock, and just hit 15 with my alchemist and received a scout reward for hitting level 10 with him yesterday. It's all over the place atm, and is becoming difficult to track whether or not a reward has been given for reaching a level goal.

I've heard other players have also had to wait extended periods to receive unlocks.

If I knew with certainty which rewards are supposed to pop and when, I could then keep a clearer record and report back exactly what is going on for you lovely Psyonix people to figure out a fix.

at every 5 levels you will receive a weapon / main ability for humans/vampires. These come in two varieties. Green ones give you a stat boost and a debuff to compensate, blues give 2 buffs/2 debuffs. I haven't seen any primary skills but hopefully they become as drops as well