PDA

View Full Version : Initial Feedback from gameplay vid (suggesstions from an Avid UT99 Player)

Shadyhaxx
3rd Dec 2013, 20:12
Since the video on youtube was in violation of the NDA I have removed that. I actually just found out about the game and didn't know it was in alpha.

NOTE: I am not in beta or alpha or whatever. Feedback is given based upon the footage from the reveal that was posted here by SQUARE ENix.

Things we need to add to the game to improve tactics and gameplay.

More conditional/situational based weapons:

Ala UT99 ( my personal fav fps of all time) we need varying types of weapons that players can use in certain situations. Each weapon will have its own skill set.

Humans proposed weapon types:

Long range

Guns
Bows
Crossbows

Medium Range

Flame Thrower
Mini Type Gun
Holy water launcher(with splash dmg)

Short Range

Bolo/net
Grenades
Daggers

Humans should be able to choose around 4-6 weapons to bring into combat. Play testing needed.

The Vampires need abilities to counter:

Flying Vampire

Long Ranged Attacks
Dive Bomb

Big Vampire

Charge/Stun
Reduced Damage Taken

Small Vampire

Speed
Hard to Corner

Also we need to be able to remove the character from view. We need a WEAPON ONLY view. Very common in most FPS games. Having the full player's body in view is a waste of screen space. However give the player the option for this or weapon only.

If we can balance out the Vampires skills (Ranged/Speed/Size+Strength vs the Humans (Ranged more Ranged :) and hopefully some slowing ability to keep vamps off them) we can get a CTF game mode going. Which will make this game take off. DM is ok but to really pull in a large community you will need CTF. :)

Thanks,

Monkeythumbz
4th Dec 2013, 14:25
Also we need to be able to remove the character from view. We need a WEAPON ONLY view. Very common in most FPS games. Having the full player's body in view is a waste of screen space.

So here's the thing, never say never, and if there's a enough demand then it's something we'd definitely look into. That said, the game right now is third-person experience because we feel it helps make the gameplay both more distinct and more enjoyable.

I'd say that the game feels very right in a third-person context - I'd be very interested to see whether you still have the same views once you've had a go with the characters in-game. :)

Tube_Reaver
4th Dec 2013, 15:14
So here's the thing, never say never, and if there's a enough demand that it's something we'd look into. That said, the game right now is third-person experience because we feel it helps make the gameplay both more distinct and more enjoyable.

I'd say that the game feels very right in a third-person context - I'd be very interested to see whether you still have the same views once you've had a go with the characters in-game. :)

Hello, not sure if you guys heard of or played Firefall, but in that game you could switch perspectives from third to first person or vice versa, and while it was a nice touch, I personally felt that the game felt better as a third person shooter, especially in PVP with all the jet-packing and craziness going about.

Also you could modify your armour with dyes and decals, and frankly what would be the point if you played the game in first person perspective?

So imo, keep it strictly as third person, and build the game around that perspective rather than include both, which will just add to the overall workload, as well as reducing the focus on making the game-play perfect as a third person shooter.

tldr - I prefer the game be third person alone with which the gameplay is designed and perfected around, rather than have 2 perspectives with semi-decent gameplay overall.

Shadyhaxx
4th Dec 2013, 16:37
Not sure if you guys heard of or played Firefall, but in that game you could switch perspectives from third to first person or vice versa, and while it was a nice touch, I personally felt that the game felt better as a third person shooter, especially in PVP with all the jet-packing and craziness going about.

As in my post give the player the option. The more elite players will definitely want the first person perspective as you get a little bit more screen space visible and this is key. Also, having just your aiming cursor on the screen gives you a little better focus. Also, you will get a slight.. very slight I know, improvement in game performance as the game will not need to render the third person character.

Also you could modify your armour with dyes and decals, and frankly what would be the point if you played the game in first person perspective?

Moot point if you have both perspectives which is what is preferred.

So imo, keep it strictly as third person, and build the game around that perspective rather than include both, which will just add to the overall workload, as well as reducing the focus on making the game-play perfect as a third person shooter.

I don't believe adding first person is that big of a deal.. but I have not coded that myself so not sure (I am a software engineer).

tldr - I prefer the game be third person alone with which the gameplay is designed and perfected around, rather than have 2 perspectives with semi-decent gameplay overall.

see comments inline..

Shadyhaxx
4th Dec 2013, 16:44
So here's the thing, never say never, and if there's a enough demand that it's something we'd look into. That said, the game right now is third-person experience because we feel it helps make the gameplay both more distinct and more enjoyable.

I have not had a chance to play yet, and from what I've seen (that damned leaked vid on youtube), it does look very interesting. I get that climbing over objects and jumping as a vamp will offer much more immersion with the third person view. It's not a HUGE point of contention for me as everyone is on the same playing field. It will take away a bit of the, possibility, of skill. Meaning that in a 1st person view you do have a little better control over what you are aiming at simply because your eye focuses more on what is NOT on the screen. Meaning that if all you have is just a little 6 pixel aiming cursor (all I used in UT99) it really forces you to focus on what you are aiming at.. It's probably just my personal preferences from years of UT99,UT2k3 competitive gameplay.

Not a big deal but having it would be nice. :)

Vampmaster
4th Dec 2013, 18:02
First person is only really good for ranged attacks. The vampires don't really have any of those and could struggle to pull off combos with the camera spinning around when the character is jumping about. As a human, the vampire run up to you really quick, so you kind of need the camera to be behind the player to have a chance to get away. Also, a lot of the fun is being able to watch your character pulling off all kinds of moves and feats.

Tube_Reaver
4th Dec 2013, 19:55
As in my post give the player the option. The more elite players will definitely want the first person perspective as you get a little bit more screen space visible and this is key. Also, having just your aiming cursor on the screen gives you a little better focus. Also, you will get a slight.. very slight I know, improvement in game performance as the game will not need to render the third person character.

Hi, as Vampmaster mentioned in his post above, first person will only be good for ranged aka humans, and give them the advantage as very few games have pulled off first person melee to a decent degree that was both playable and fun.

Also I agree with Vampmaster, third person is more fun because you get to see your character moving about and such.

EDIT: in regards to your other post about the first person adding more skill, that will just increase the advantage that ranged will have over melee, and lead to imbalance. Yes it is a small advantage, but in terms of game balance, everything should be taken into account.

Moot point if you have both perspectives which is what is preferred.

Not moot at all really, if the game's future "meta" gets to the point where First Person is the best way to play, then obviously most players will go for that, which takes away the vanity/customisation aspect imo, because all you'll see is a weapon and not the skins etc.

Think of it like the Elder Scrolls games, many people play first person, so no matter how long you spend creating your character, and no matter how awesome your gear looks, you're not going to see it often, so it's just pointless.

I don't believe adding first person is that big of a deal.. but I have not coded that myself so not sure (I am a software engineer).

I am not a software engineer nor have any experience with coding, but I will say that, regardless of whether it is easy to code or not, it needs to be pulled off properly, rather than just a 'maxed' zoom in.

Some third person games with first person aspects that end up feeling very clunky no matter how much you toy with the sensitivity and FoV.

This is all my personal opinion and experience.
I am not against adding more options/variety to the game at all, however I personally feel this addition is not necessary, as I believe the game should be a focused and solid third person experience. Just my tuppence :)

Badmojoman
8th Dec 2013, 05:18
The animations from the trailer looked a bit weak. I would expect more heavyness from certain actions. I am also hoping to see a cover mechanic.

Not quite Gears of War type of thing, but something to make you interact with the environment and allow for ambushing vamps as a human.