PDA

View Full Version : GF can't install THIEF GOLD on her DuoCore laptop

FriarTed
17th Oct 2007, 18:22
My GF's new Gateway laptop won't/can't install her THIEF GOLD and other THIEF games. She tried the ":\setup.exe -lgntforce" several times at it kept stalling at 94%. She did think she had them installed before but now finds no sign of them.

Here are her specs- any ideas of what to do?

Gateway NX860
Model #M685 T5500
Display: 17" WXGA Widescreen (1440 × 900 Max Res)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 (1.6GHz)
Memory: 1024MB 667Mhz DDR2 Memory (2-512MB)
Hard Drive: 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Optical Drives: CDRW-DVD Combo Drive
Video: nVidia GeForce Go 7600 (128MB)
Sound: Integrated Sound
I/O Ports: (4) USB 2.0 Ports - (1) IEEE 1394 FireWire Port
Network: 10/100/1000 Ethernet
802.11a/b/g Wireless
Pointing Device: Touchpad
Media Reader: 6-in-1 Digital Card Reader
Battery: 8 Cell Li-Ion Battery with Power Adaptor
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (SP2)
Software: MS Works Suite 8.5

Peter_Smith
21st Oct 2007, 05:27
Is she typing "lgntforce" with a lower case L as the first character?

When going 94% of the way, has it asked for and been given CD#2? That should occur at about 50%/

If it is not that, since it gets most of the way through and quits, my guess is either a bad CD or a bad CDROM drive. I would take the CD to another computer, install it there, and see what happens.

Stile451
23rd Oct 2007, 03:08
Tried copying the CDs over to the hard drive and installing from there?

FriarTed
22nd Jan 2008, 16:09
Hi! Sorry about not getting back-

She since has been on a second Gateway laptop she got in December with the same results, and is this week back on the desktop that she used to play Thief Gold on- and getting the NT/DivX error message.

She never used to get that on the desktop. She did try the -lghtforce on the laptops with no success but didn't get to copy the discs & install. Someone else tried to help her & she ended up with a corrupt installation she couldn't uninstall.

Both laptops have been accepted back by the dealer (thank God) and she just borrowed her old desktop that she'd given her Mom, only to find the same error message last night. I think she was getting it to install using Compatability Wizard but I don't know if it completed successfully. I was at work when she called & unable to walk her through the -lgntforce fix, and it was late, so I haven't gotten back to her yet.

There are some light scratches on the discs which have never interfered with playing them before on her desktop. She's wondering about possible fixes & wanted me to ask about any other possiblities, She's also having me shop on the Net for a new Thief Gold set (getting ever rarer, I see). I apologize for never getting back to this thread but we got distracted by other threads here & other forums we also were asking on. Any more ideas would be appreciated & I will let you know what happens! Thanks!