PDA

View Full Version : Patch to avoid CPU grabber:

Vampmaster
13th Oct 2007, 23:04
I've made this patch using some info from Wrace who helped me with the winplay patch. I made this in a bit of a rush, so I've not been able to test it. If anyone wants to try it out you can get it here:

http://pillarsofnosgoth.legacyofkain.net/BO1Fix.zip

Kaizainiel
14th Oct 2007, 08:16
How unfortunate this is the one game out of the series on PC I can't get my hands on.

Shrykull_the1st
14th Oct 2007, 19:56
Tested. Works for me!:) Thanks!

How unfortunate this is the one game out of the series on PC I can't get my hands on.

There are plenty BO1 out there.

Umah Bloodomen
15th Oct 2007, 14:27
...you're my hero, Vamp. :D

It's not said, nearly enough as it should be.:p ;)

shlmysfb
15th Oct 2007, 18:53
Amazing, man!

One thing though - the credits don't work for some reason.

Oh well, who cares? :D This is awesome!

Vampmaster
15th Oct 2007, 23:44
...you're my hero, Vamp. :D

It's not said, nearly enough as it should be.:p ;)

You're welcome. ;)

OugaBooga1
25th Oct 2007, 03:54
TY Vampmaster:thumbsup:

exmachinad
20th Dec 2007, 17:37
Yeah, worked for me :)

THANX a lot :cool: ;) :thumbsup:

Gandomyr
29th Dec 2007, 17:26
It doesn't work for me. Says "CRC32 Error. Version missmatch, or File is allready patched!"

It may have something to do with my HDD, which I know it has problems... Though, did anyone else had this problem?

Is there some other patch I need to apply after installing the game and before using the fix?

L.E. I'm already using Windows 98, so the solutions that apply EXCLUSIVELY for 2000/XP/Vista I don't think they'll work. Game runs fine... but when the barman talks, screen becomes kinda gray and I have to reset the computer.

Muyfa123
20th Jan 2008, 11:56
Works very good! I use cubanraul's Xp patch v1.2 and this fix.

http://home.comcast.net/~heavyweights/games/kain/index.htm

One question: What is "winplay patch"? Is it something for BO1?

Tnx alot for the fix!

Muyfa123
25th Jan 2008, 21:48
The game crashes after the final movie (the credits, I think?) with the error msg:

Application Error: KAIN.EXE
The instruction at 004681d3 referenced memory at 01506004
The memory could not be written
Click on OK to terminate the application
So I did, then I get:

dwwin.exe - Program Error
Unknown software exception (0x80000003) in the program at address 0x7c901230
Click OK to terminate the program

It's really not that big a deal, but is there some way around it?

Linikratyo
18th Aug 2008, 16:58
well, I have a problem...................

I can't let BO1 work on my brother's computer (windows XP, 5200 Geforce, etc.) I tried EVERYTHING the two options on TheLostWorlds.net (Blincolns site) with the first option I get an error and black screen, with the second one it is like you always have the forward arrow pressed......... :(
Then I tried this patch, but it's the same as the first option of Thelostworlds............ :(

So if anyone has an idea, then I would be very happy if someone would give me a way of letting it work........ :confused:

BTW: I have another computer on which you can play the game and I finished BO completely on that PC, but now it doesn't let you save........ so if anyone knows how to fix that, then that would work too..... :whistle:

Baron
19th Aug 2008, 16:29
I'm able to play the game until I watch the Vorador cutscene at the end of his mansion. Then the game locks up in the exact same manner as the original barman glitch. Can anyone help me with this?

Linikratyo
19th Aug 2008, 16:57
then you still have to use CPUgrabber............ :whistle:

Can anyone please help me with my problem?? :(

Baron
19th Aug 2008, 17:39
Actually this is with the CPU grabber.

Linikratyo
19th Aug 2008, 20:32
well, use it twice and put it higher/lower. Only if you get it excectly right it will go further after the FMV..... (I had to put it about 61)

Can anyone please help me with my problem??

zildjian_x
17th Nov 2008, 07:26
thanks man it couldn't get this game to play until i tried your patch :D

Linikratyo
17th Nov 2008, 09:33
BTW: I have another computer on which you can play the game and I finished BO completely on that PC, but now it doesn't let you save........ so if anyone knows how to fix that, then that would work too..... :whistle:

I found out that the problem was that he didn't have a admin account.......

Muyfa123
1st Feb 2009, 21:01
The game crashes after the final movie (the credits, I think?) with the error msg:

Application Error: KAIN.EXE
The instruction at 004681d3 referenced memory at 01506004
The memory could not be written
Click on OK to terminate the application
So I did, then I get:

dwwin.exe - Program Error
Unknown software exception (0x80000003) in the program at address 0x7c901230
Click OK to terminate the program

It's really not that big a deal, but is there some way around it?

Hate to bump it, but does someone know what causes this error?

wrace0
2nd Feb 2009, 03:15
Hate to bump it, but does someone know what causes this error?
I don't know what causes this error, but I know how to solve this problem: use the latest version of kain.exe, which has the appropriate fix.

Muyfa123
2nd Feb 2009, 12:05
The patch seem to run fine, thou I have to finish the game again before I can tell if it helped me. One odd thing thou, with this EXE the game skips all intro movies and jumps directly into the menu. Is that intentional? The readme is in some language that I don't understand.

wrace0
3rd Feb 2009, 01:29
The patch seem to run fine, thou I have to finish the game again before I can tell if it helped me.
hm, you can view Credits in Main Menu/Options/Credits - if they work "here" then it will work and after the final movie. Or you can load the saved game.

One odd thing thou, with this EXE the game skips all intro movies and jumps directly into the menu. Is that intentional? The readme is in some language that I don't understand.
Yes, it is intentional.

Muyfa123
3rd Feb 2009, 05:56
If I don't use your EXE, wouldn't that get me back to the error I was having before?

The intro movies plays with the old EXE, but not with the latest one from you.

EDIT: What does the readme say? You made me really curious! ;-)

Goc
3rd Feb 2009, 23:15
I dont know what else to do :(... Nothing works for me.

I have core2 quad processor EN8800 GT gc.
So i guess thats the problem.
Pls tell me if some1 knows a way to play it on my PC.

Muyfa123
4th Feb 2009, 06:59
I tried to preview the Dark Diary with the EXE you provided, and it all works without crashes.

I'm having a bit of a problem with the step by step thou.

I can't apply the VampMaster patch to the Lost Worlds EXE (CRC error)

And how to I find Cubanrauls patch? I only have the installer, and it doesn't seem to change anything in the EXE.

Is it instead possible to hex edit the proper EXE you gave me to re-enable the intro movies?

Sorry to be a pain in the ar$e. This fix and to get Soul Reaver controls fixed are really important to me.

Goc
4th Feb 2009, 11:28
Still no luck. I tried every single patches and setups for the game and i still have the same problem: Black Screen in game and barman speach repeating it self. When i click escape or Alt+Tab it crashes down.

Muyfa123
4th Feb 2009, 12:01
Goc: Uninstall the game completely.

Download Cuban Raul's installer:

http://home.comcast.net/~masterpisgreat/KainSetup.exe

Install the game with this new installer.

After install, download http://legacy-of-kain.ru/download/bo1_patch.zip

And overwrite the KAIN.EXE in your install dir.

If you have a Crossfire setup, diable Catalyst AI.

Now play! You dont need to have the disc in the drive.

This should work. Don't forget to thank wrace and Cuban Raul for their fine fixes.

wrace: Excellent stuff! This is perfect. Now it all works.

Did you come to any answer with my Soul Reaver joypad problem?

Goc
4th Feb 2009, 12:54
Well :D tried that before and nothing. Thanks for the help i am sure there is another way to play it :)

Muyfa123
4th Feb 2009, 15:08
I have tried this on 3 different computers today, and it works on all of them.

Are you sure you didn't miss anything?

Goc
4th Feb 2009, 16:23
mhm i am sure 100 % that i did everything.

Muyfa123
4th Feb 2009, 16:54
I have a Q9550 and 2x HD4870 running in Crossfire.

At least your computer spec should have nothing to do with this problem.

You are not by any chance using an old rip or something?

Goc
4th Feb 2009, 19:53
My friend has the same image and it works for him.

He has vista 32 i have vista 64 if that is the problem.

Goc
4th Feb 2009, 20:17
Btw i forgot to tell you i dont have the opening cinematics of activision, CD and silicon knights. But i have the start new game opening movie. After witch i get a black screen and barman's 1st sentence repeating. Please help :P

Muyfa123
4th Feb 2009, 20:30
I have Vista 64 Ultimate and the other 2 computers I tried the game on has Vista 32 Premium and XP Professional.

I'm sorry, but I can't really see why this does not work for you.

Maybe wrace has an answer, cross your fingers. :-)

Goc
4th Feb 2009, 20:56
hey guess what :D. It's not working again :(.

Ty for all the help guys :) ill just fix my old PC and play it there :)

wrace0
5th Feb 2009, 01:24
hey guess what :D. It's not working again :(.
Ty for all the help guys :) ill just fix my old PC and play it there :)
Ok, as you wish... :)

P.S.: I remember one thing. Linikratyo wrote above that

I found out that the problem was that he didn't have a admin account
i.e. there may be some problems with game if one "didn't have a admin account"...
and if the game crashes down then usually either some error message appears as MessageBox or this error message can be written into SAVED\PTEMP.TMP...
and finally it is needed to test some save-files for the game to understand where this error occurs (everwhere in the game or only after movies or only after 1st movie or only when people is speaking)... :)

Linikratyo
5th Feb 2009, 14:02
Ok, as you wish... :)

P.S.: I remember one thing. Linikratyo wrote above that

i.e. there may be some problems with game if one "didn't have a admin account"...
and if the game crashes down then usually either some error message appears as MessageBox or this error message can be written into SAVED\PTEMP.TMP...
and finally it is needed to test some save-files for the game to understand where this error occurs (everwhere in the game or only after movies or only after 1st movie or only when people is speaking)... :)

well with me if Kain stepped on a saving platform nothing happened, but you can try it.......

Muyfa123
8th Feb 2009, 12:08
Ok fellas. This patch should take care of about all problems.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ytzt0l1jzjj

Muyfa123
15th Feb 2009, 18:16
Say wrace (or anyone for that matter), you wouldn't possibly have a Blood Omen 1 savegame that is for the final battle?

wrace0
15th Feb 2009, 23:29
Say wrace (or anyone for that matter), you wouldn't possibly have a Blood Omen 1 savegame that is for the final battle?
I have BO1-savegame that is for the final battle with Unspoken:
BO1-savegame (http://www.nosgothica.org/index.php?id=files_eng)
It is the file FI06.sav...
If you need to fight with Mortanius, there is file FI05.sav, but this file in the Nemesis Stronghold (past)...

Muyfa123
16th Feb 2009, 05:49
Good stuff! Tnx alot.

shlmysfb
2nd Mar 2009, 06:14
Hmm. While you're at it, any ideas as to how I can get the BO1 closing credits to work? :o

Actually, that's not a big deal. :D

Anyway, I remembered something that might be useful to Goc: in a previous thread, I think, someone suggested turning down the hardware acceleration for sound or video. Seems a little too obvious, but it might help fix something. :hmm:

Muyfa123
2nd Mar 2009, 13:36
wrace's fixed EXE makes the credits work.

At least for me. I tried it both in the diary and with a saved game.

shlmysfb
2nd Mar 2009, 21:41
Whoops. Heh. Forgot to read the rest of the thread. I'll try it out. :rolleyes:

TheArkive
28th Jun 2009, 20:07
Wrace, VampMaster, THANKYOU!!! You guys rock. I've already sent CubanRaul an e-mail thanking him.

I just have one final request. Do you guys have any info on why KAIN.EXE uses 50% CPU on avg with or without a CPU slow-down utility? I don't have any ability to do anything about it, I'm just following all the changes and patches with this game very closely.

Any info would be appreciated.

Aside from that, is there any plan to fix the CPU usage in the future? I admit the game is VERY playable as it is, and there is literally NO loading times when run from the harddrive, but during game play things are a little slow. It would be nice to see the in-game action running as good or better than the Playstation version :D

Thanks again for all your hard work guys!

EDIT:

BTW, here's a link for anyone trying to find CubanRaul's v1.2 patch. He currently is only hosting the v1.4 patch, updated as of April 2009.

Link: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?p=139955#139955

Linikratyo
19th Dec 2009, 11:42
Goc: Uninstall the game completely.

Download Cuban Raul's installer:

http://home.comcast.net/~masterpisgreat/KainSetup.exe

Install the game with this new installer.

After install, download http://legacy-of-kain.ru/download/bo1_patch.zip

And overwrite the KAIN.EXE in your install dir.

If you have a Crossfire setup, diable Catalyst AI.

Now play! You dont need to have the disc in the drive.

This should work. Don't forget to thank wrace and Cuban Raul for their fine fixes.

wrace: Excellent stuff! This is perfect. Now it all works.

Did you come to any answer with my Soul Reaver joypad problem?

Do you actually need a bought copy to install it and if not isn't it then illegal?

Muyfa123
23rd Dec 2009, 19:20
I don't think there is a way to tell if you use a burned disc or original. I don't think it's illegal to offer a patch that lets you play without disc, as long as you do not provide the actual game.

Linikratyo
23rd Dec 2009, 23:50
I don't think there is a way to tell if you use a burned disc or original. I don't think it's illegal to offer a patch that lets you play without disc, as long as you do not provide the actual game.

I'm asking about installing, do you still need the disc to install the game?

Muyfa123
25th Dec 2009, 00:11
Yes. I think you do.

wrace0
3rd Feb 2010, 21:29
Aside from that, is there any plan to fix the CPU usage in the future? I admit the game is VERY playable as it is, and there is literally NO loading times when run from the harddrive, but during game play things are a little slow. It would be nice to see the in-game action running as good or better than the Playstation version :D

Test the trainer for BO1 from here (http://www.nosgothica.org/index.php?id=files_eng) - option 'Boost'...;)

Muyfa123
24th May 2010, 17:26
Hey wrace. Lately I've been getting distorted colors in the cut-scenes of BO1. Do you know if there's any way to fix it?

I'm running a GTX 295 on 295.15 drivers, Win 7 x64.

wrace0
24th May 2010, 23:53
I heard about this problem and now I know only one way to fix this glitch - create bink-support for cut-scenes of BO1 (like Booster's dll for SR1); I working on this fix...

Muyfa123
26th May 2010, 18:15
Wow! Is that even possible??? :-D

Will you let us know here if you succeed?

wrace0
28th May 2010, 08:07
Wow! Is that even possible??? :-D
It is very hard to realize, but of course it is possible...

Will you let us know here if you succeed?
Yes, I will let you know here when it will be done, but now there is another problem - even if I will place the appropriate exe, dll and bink-video here, these files will be immediately removed (like my 2 posts yesterday: one of which - easy solution "how to play in BO1 if this game crashed on video" and "where you can see or download the video-files for BO1").

Muyfa123
28th May 2010, 12:33
I guess the actual movie-files are illegal to host.

The tools, dll's, exe's and the instruction on how to do it should not be illegal thou.

We'll figure something out if all else fails. A BO1 movie-fix is something the world needs! :-)

TheArkive
20th Jun 2010, 17:22
I greatly anticipate this patch too! I remember that I used to have BO1 working in Vista x64 just fine, but it seems that several updates later, it don't work again :(

Thankfully I have my Playstation CD still, and thank god for ePSXe v1.7.0!

Still wish I could play the PC version though. Slightly better graphics.

Vampmaster
28th Jun 2010, 19:55
We'd be better off trying to convert the PC movie files to bink format rather than distributing the PS1 versions themselves. It should be ok to host a converter so people can just use the movies from the version of the game they paid for. I remember trying to load the PC movies in a player for the PS1 movies or the other way around. It was a tool that someone had wrote that let you view one frame at a time and image it showed was off centre and mixed in with data it didn't recognise, but it was a clear image. I assume the other data was the sound and the info defining the start and end of each frame. I can't remember the name of the app, but the fact that I could see the picture must mean at least that part of the data is similar in both formats. I recon it would be easy to reverse engineer, but I'm not used to dealing with sound data and I'm busy with adding SR2 support to my ModelEx program.

wrace0
29th Jun 2010, 13:11
There are such moments:
1. for example, the high-quality intro-movie for SR1 there is only in extras of SR2-PS2, - the intro-movies for SR1-PC and SR1-PS have lower quality. (so it is impossible to obtain such HQ intro-movie from the original PC-files).
2. it is very easy to convert movies from PS1 or PS2 and then use them instead of creating some convertor like desribed above: hm, 14 years passed from creating BO1, but now there is no such converter. I want to note that it is impossible to play in BO1 if you have only movies + movies have low quality (they have resolution 320x240 and they are very old), so they is interesting only for funs which already have CD with BO1.
3. I heard that sound in PS-version have more quality then one in PC-version, + movies in PC are showed with dark-lines instead of ones from PS.

P.S.: hm, and I think that such converters or creating bink-support must do Crystal Dynamics as part of tech-support for their games, but only funs working on creating these possibilities...

P.P.S.: wow, I found the easy solution, - we just create the appropriate patch which converts all *.jam-files in the folder with installed game BO1 into the appropriate bink-files, - instead of just unpacking these files... hm, it will need some time for patching, but now there are no problems with Eidos (I think)...

Muyfa123
5th Jul 2010, 10:58
Hmmm. After using CubanRauls 2.0 installer, the game asks for a CD when I try to launch it. I don't think this was nessecery before. I can use the CD, but I think it's a bit inconvenient. Is there a way to fix it?

EDIT: Solved it. I think it was some kind of conflict after trying the original installer.

wrace: So you found a solution? :-D Awesome! Can't wait to play BO1 with real movies again!

wrace0
7th Jul 2010, 21:24
I created the new article (http://www.nosgothica.org/index.php?id=files_eng)... Now you can play BO1 with real movies again... ;)

Muyfa123
2nd Aug 2010, 21:25
wrace: I noticed that during the final battle with Moebius, the game sometime slows down very much. Is this from the original game, or is there some problem with the patch?

wrace0
3rd Aug 2010, 07:10
I think that it is some small glitches with the current operation system and hardware, since the last patch contains only fix for bink-support (but in the battle there are no cutscenes), and I passed the game with this patch (but without HQ-filter) and don't notice such slowing in the game...

Muyfa123
3rd Aug 2010, 08:10
Do you have a save game to the Moebius fight? I can test some things, but I already saved after the fight.

wrace0
3rd Aug 2010, 09:08
Yeah, I have such save game - here (http://www.nosgothica.org/soft/FI10.zip)...

Muyfa123
3rd Aug 2010, 10:04
Ok, my bad. I was using a trainer when the slowdown occured. Now I tried without, and all was working fine. No slowdowns anymore. :-D

Linikratyo
3rd Jan 2011, 21:29
okay, where the ^%$&* did the really really REALLY good Blood Omen patch go? The one with the updated intro video etc.?

wrace0
4th Jan 2011, 07:03
I don't understand what this ^clever t^@©x:#% guy wants, but I can redirect him to here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=115157). :rasp:

TheArkive
11th Jan 2011, 08:59
Blood Omen - PSX (ePSXe) vs PC (latest patches)

In case anyone is wondering:

Intel i7 1.73 GHz Quad Core
4 GB RAM
nVidia GFX w/ 1.5 GB RAM

Just wondering if anyone is noticing a significant difference in frame rate or smoothness between the PSX versions and PC versions of Blood Omen?

The PC version is very playable on my computers, especially now that there's Bink support! (thanks LoK Team!) The PSX emulation seems to be more responsive / smoother than the PC version, as far as video goes. Anyone else noticing this?

For the record, I am NOT ungrateful for the progress made so far! Even with the slower frame rate the PC version has:

1) better graphics (in game and stills)
2) ZERO loading time (WOO HOO! AWSOME!)
3) No sound stuttering issues (like when emulating with ePSXe)

If there was a way to smooth out or speed up the game play on the PC version then I'd be a "Super Duper happy" LoK fanatic. (Now I'm only "Super happy") :lol:

Is there any more plans on enhancing this awesome game? (The rest of the series runs PERFECT ... arg!) :mad2:

EDIT: By the way, I'm not using any trainers, and I'm noticing the "speed/smoothness issue" through out the whole game as compared to the PSX version emulated on ePSXe v1.7.0
If you want I can list the settings and plugins I use on ePSXe as well. Basically I just use the latest ones made by "Pete", or I use the defaults.

wrace0
11th Jan 2011, 09:34
hm, there is a way to speed up the gameplay in BO1-PC, but for this you need to use my version of the trainer (from here (http://www.nosgothica.org/index.php?id=files_eng) - option 'Boost').
About smothing: hm, in PSX-emulator the graphics is already smother (like as on TV); look this (http://omnicide.legacy-of-kain.ru/en/demo) demo-version of BO1 for comparison and one way of enhancing this game. ;)

TheArkive
11th Jan 2011, 12:53
WOW!!! THANKS!!!

Man, at that speed, and with no loading time I can make it 4 times farther in one sitting! Any chance you can include a hack to enable VSYNC? I tried enabling it on my video card settings and I still see shearing in the image. It seems not to work at all.

I have nVidia settings to use. I'll be honest I'm not sure I'm using them correctly. I'm used to using ATI Tray Tools.

Other than that, again, MANY thanks! I'm falling in love with the PC version all over again.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

wrace0
12th Jan 2011, 15:21
wow, very good. ;)

hm, a hack to enable VSYNC - for what purpose is it needed? On my nVidia-video-card all is ok, so I do not have any idea what may be wrong. :scratch:

The_Hylden
1st Jul 2011, 06:22
Many belated thanks to cubanraul and wrace for this! (I see your name also come up, Vampmaster, so in case, thank you, also!) I never tried this before now, but now that I have tried and installed your patches, my goodness!! I owe you all so much praise!

Not only does Blood Omen play on my PC, but it plays with no lag, minus a now and then glitch; and it plays with NO LOADING TIMES!!! And in any rez you want of it. It doesn't play badly stretched into 1080p at all. The game is the definitive version (Only when Blood Omicile is complete could I maybe say otherwise). Man, I can't believe you all never got enough of this praise, which you damn well deserved!

This should be the damn PC version Eidos ports to all new venues, Steam, and what-have-you. This is Blood Omen 1.

Did I mention ... NO LOADING TIMES!!! :D:D:D

Also, 1080p support and no cropping. I don't know why this apparently is, but the only weirdness I have to ask about is why in the Blood Fountains Anna Gunn's dialogue, which once had a deeper pitch added to it in the original version, along with reverb, no longer had either.

Besides that, I've had only one moment in the FMV where sound has skipped on dialogue.

Edit" Come to think of it, I believe the above Blood Fountain dialogue is simply a change from PSX to PC. I seem to remember playing this on PC years ago this way on PC. I don't know, though. I'm not entirely sure anymore...

AluminumHaste
13th Jul 2011, 00:26
I've made this patch using some info from Wrace who helped me with the winplay patch. I made this in a bit of a rush, so I've not been able to test it. If anyone wants to try it out you can get it here:

http://pillarsofnosgoth.legacyofkain.net/BO1Fix.zip

Which bits at what offset need to be edited? The patch isn't working, says it's wrong size or already patched. I still have to use CPUGrabber though so it's obviously not patched.
I can upload the exe if you want to look at it.
Thanks for all your hard work though, excellent game.

essex1990
15th Jul 2011, 05:57
Which bits at what offset need to be edited? The patch isn't working, says it's wrong size or already patched. I still have to use CPUGrabber though so it's obviously not patched.
I can upload the exe if you want to look at it.
Thanks for all your hard work though, excellent game.

Your not having much luck with the older games are you? Clear off any old installs of Blood Omen, Install the game via the cubanraul installer (not just patching it). That worked for me.

wrace0
11th Aug 2011, 14:55
hm, you found very-very-very-old info. Now it is sufficient to use either cubanraul installer (which includes the one of the newest version of the patch) or look here (http://www.nosgothica.org/index.php?id=files_eng).

All sources (including offsets and anything either) lie here (http://www.nosgothica.org/index.php?id=projects) (hm, use any translator from russian to english to read).