PDA

View Full Version : PC TRA patch long overdue.

afborro
3rd Oct 2007, 20:07
Ok. Just because I love this game now want to start playing a third time having a break from it for while, Kind of waiting till the patch came out but still nothing, after endles email with EIDOS providing pointless info and clealry knowing nothing or little what is really happening.

The support website saying, "please wait while we investigate the issue" after their reported bugs and temporary workarounds.

The game got released in June. TRA is being developed for WII etc. anyone working on the fixes ? Another thread asking to please post feedback on the game for CD to report back to them. So someone here must be reading these threads or getting this info and have a way of relaying it to CD.

But when it comes to mentioning a patch all goes cold, quite frankly it stinks.

It is rude to the customers who payed kudos for a product with a flawed/broken savegame/profile implementatio that many suffer from in various ways, hence so many bugs on the PC version with items missing, not being able to replay levels succesfully under the same profile etc.

IMHO. An official statement would suffice from CD or Nixes to say it is worked on, not even a release date. Is that to much too ask ?

At the moment, on the basis of the EIDOS email I received it is not even inconceivable that we will never see a patch.

I'd rather they come out straight with it if so.

Not this noncommittal nonsense that doesn't really tell you anything.

Happy TombRaiding and have a nice day.

tiger
5th Oct 2007, 21:10
(Those are some very good points, Afborro)
And wasn't there a patch for TRL, about a month after its release?
And does EIDOS/CD have any more console-puters to release their TRA to?

(Everything has been "contracts and money" for quite some time.)
So, will our needed TRA.exe PC-patch require a contract from EIDOS to CD?
Or will EIDOS' "console markets" simply have to slow-down, quite a bit, before they feel the need to spend some funds on reviving their PC market?

One of our members mentioned something like "Wait a year and then we will see what happens" with our needed PC-patch. . . So, maybe, I and my friends simply bought TRA, too soon? (And BTW, this Wait-a-Year practice has work, extremely well, for several other "marginal titles" that I finally decided to buy.) :cool:

And, MAYBE, a lot of us will not repeat that very same mistake with TR8? (Which might be re-nicknamed to "TR-H8", if they are not much more careful, this time?) :rolleyes:

Treeble
5th Oct 2007, 21:32
Other than the savegame being unusable (that can be easily replaced with a downloaded one in case you don't want to play through again) what other issues are there with the game?

I didn't come across anything that demands a patch in any of the 200+ times I've played the game.

afborro
6th Oct 2007, 03:17
What are you on about :scratch: , you mean to say it's bug free ? NO.

I am not even asking for some of the game play glitches people are on about, like grapple jumps being hard, timing etc. i can live with that. I am just talking about the game progress not being saved properly and completing the game entirely.

How many people have we seen posting, I am doing such and such a level, I can't complete because an item is missing etc. etc. Downloading a savegame/profile is not an excuse. I want to earn those things by myself, getting all artifacts, timetrails under one profile, for many this is not even possible, downloading someone elses save takes the thrill out of it.

It is ludricous to call a game bug free if you cannot not complete a game with the replay level option to get all artifact time trials etc. The only way I can do that is to do it all in one in one go.

I am not unique here, there is enough evidence that others have many of these glitches too.

To charge full price for a game with such poor feedback from support is not good enough given the severity of the bugs, and any kind of bug that doesn't allow you to complete a game entirely, all secrets, artifact, timetrials under one profile I would categorise as severe. Basically the game doesn't allow you to do what is says you should be able to do.

If you go down you local garage, buy a car that costs a few thousand or more you'd expect it to function for that price,and if something brakes down every week you would not be happy would you, you'd go back because you expect to get what you pay for.

This is no different, the only difference is that the whole support model with CD/EIDOS is setup so that there is no way of being able to do anything about it, that's the way the gaming industry is heading, not just this game but other games too, but EIDOS are certainy right up there with being the crappiest of them all. It's setup in a way so they can get away with it. God help us of there were such things as SLAs in the gaming industry. EIDOS would be having a hard time of it :D

I work in the IT industry, I know how these things work, and it is just unethical an unjustified towards the customers that pay for something that is not doing what is it supposed to do according to the game specifications. In fact it is not far off by law to categorise it as a criminal act, and I am not kidding.

By the way this is not a personal attack on you, just my feeling about how about the whole thing and a lot of games are heading, it's more like Hollywood movies, money/profits is all that matters, screw the customers, and I am enjoying every minute of giving these EIDOS forums some crap, they can ban me for all I care. Apart from some interesting threads and info about the game, as a technical support service this forum is hopeless, there are far better non EIDOS forums elsewhere for this game.

Just as well these forums are not moderated by official EIDOS staff, well if they do, they should all get the sack for lack of effort.

tiger
6th Oct 2007, 07:25
I don't know if you've tried my little AHK fix, yet?
But it does help a bit with several key-sequence problems.
(Especially, when you're trying to resolve about you messing-up the key-strokes or did the game simply screw-up?) TRA AutoHotKey fun-and-needed keys, perhaps? (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=690397#post690397)

And btw, I do map-mods, storyline and movie-tricks for a certain Unreal-based game. And I also do C-Coding for a special German game, that I can't mention.

And I have played and enjoyed TR until the last one, before AOD. (I didn't like what Lara and TR was becoming.) And I naturally skipped that pseudo combat/military TRL game. (That is simply not "TR territory" to me.)

So when I came back for TRA, I was so VERY HOPEFUL that it would be absolutely GREAT and it would be the true start for a new TR beginning!

Oh well. . . Most of us had our "various entertainments" with a "Summer of TRA". So now, like with most marginally-done games and their series of "near misses", maybe it is simply the time for the "Fall of TR"? :(

afborro
6th Oct 2007, 15:39
I don't know if you've tried my little AHK fix, yet?
But it does help a bit with several key-sequence problems.
(Especially, when you're trying to resolve about you messing-up the key-strokes or did the game simply screw-up?) TRA AutoHotKey fun-and-needed keys, perhaps? (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=690397#post690397)

And btw, I do map-mods, storyline and movie-tricks for a certain Unreal-based game. And I also do C-Coding for a special German game, that I can't mention.

And I have played and enjoyed TR until the last one, before AOD. (I didn't like what Lara and TR was becoming.) And I naturally skipped that pseudo combat/military TRL game. (That is simply not "TR territory" to me.)

So when I came back for TRA, I was so VERY HOPEFUL that it would be absolutely GREAT and it would be the true start for a new TR beginning!

Oh well. . . Most of us had our "various entertainments" with a "Summer of TRA". So now, like with most marginally-done games and their series of "near misses", maybe it is simply the time for the "Fall of TR"? :(

I haven't tried that utility. I don't have a problem though in the gameplay at all TBH. I know others are unhappy saying certain moves are glitchy, but personally I don't have much to complain there, perhaps POP is a little better for pulling off the moves more reliably, but where people say, I can't do a grapple jump, or claim it doesn't do what it is supposed to do, I can't say I experience that. I use an analogue controller and usually things work as I would expect them to. In fact on my PC the game is rock solid graphically and sound + gameplay, no complaints there.

There were only two moments where I got a little frustrated. That last series of Pyramid jumps took me some time to get right (just that one tricky one but with the shortcut becomes a lot easier :) and in another level the timings on one or two of the trap doors seemed a bit off, or too tight. i.e the logic used that you can only initiate the jumps where the trap doors are entirely apart, otherwise Lara is detected as dead. some collision logic not quite right there. The logic should be, as long as the gap is wide enough for Lara to fit between the trap doors she should be able to make that.

What annoys me is that the only way this game can be played is to recreate a profile everytime playing the game. I know this does not apply to all, but many posts here also suggest the broken part of the savegames/profiles, not being able to complete a level becuase the profile/savegame has somehow screwed up the history of what happened previously in the level when you use the replay level option. In Some cases/levels this prevents you from completing the level. I have never actually experienced a save I couldn't load, that's not the issue, but what is written in the profile and/or save is clearly wrong infromation in some cases. An having downloaded other saves/profiles these problems can be recreated. EIDOS support accepted that when I wrote to them about this.

OK there are fly hacks and what not and ways around it, but once you have to do that, for me it kills the fun and the game having to resort to those things. The game has a specification within which has to work, just like any other piece of software, and it clearly does not meet the specifications.

As you said, I think TRL had a critial patch after two days and another after a months or so, but TRA nothing yet, some sort of public anouncement or progress report for the fan base would put a lot of people at ease I think, and the only polite thing to do given the delays, but of course no, it goes back to what I already said.

tiger
6th Oct 2007, 20:42
(Btw, I started doing that AutoHotKey stuff, even during the training-phase at the Mansion's Gym. Because the mapper-side of me, literally "saw" contact problems with a special invisible property-object on the slide and around other edge-objects, ingame. And hey, I even got grapple-throws down to a new and much more NORMAL "Safety grapple-throw" at certain locations and nearly dead-perfect LoF grapple-throws. So, along with those NEEDED THINGs and several retro TR-tricks, I have had my FAIR SHARE of TRA modding-fun with AHK.) :)

Over-all, your profile problems should be a MAJOR concern to Eidos/CD?
BTW, I have heard that there are several versions of TRA, that have prevented the "generic" sharing of TRA savegame-sets. (And this just might be a very small difference within a variety of tra.exe files, that causes slightly different savegame and/or Profile formats?)

So, we will always have to find a perfectly matching savegame-set or our slightly different tra.exe will probably ruin our Profile.TRAProfile file, in a heart-beat?

BTW, how's your autosave.TRASave file doing? If that is doing A-okay, then I'd have to say that it's really a problem with your tra.exe creating a mismatching Profile.TRAProfile file? (And maybe, CD's tra.exe simply isn't VERIFYING the version of the files that it uses or creates?) :(

PS, I had a bit of this problem at first, around the Croft Mansion. So, I simply started doing complete backup copies of my profile's savegame folder, as numbered generations and then I finally finished the game.
And I haven't been bothered, ever since I had found and did EVERYTHING.
(Knocking on wood, for luck!) :D

afborro
7th Oct 2007, 20:02
Over-all, your profile problems should be a MAJOR concern to Eidos/CD?
BTW, I have heard that there are several versions of TRA, that have prevented the "generic" sharing of TRA savegame-sets. (And this just might be a very small difference within a variety of tra.exe files, that causes slightly different savegame and/or Profile formats?)

So, we will always have to find a perfectly matching savegame-set or our slightly different tra.exe will probably ruin our Profile.TRAProfile file, in a heart-beat?

BTW, how's your autosave.TRASave file doing? If that is doing A-okay, then I'd have to say that it's really a problem with your tra.exe creating a mismatching Profile.TRAProfile file? (And maybe, CD's tra.exe simply isn't VERIFYING the version of the files that it uses or creates?) :(

PS, I had a bit of this problem at first, around the Croft Mansion. So, I simply strated doing complete backup copies of my profile's savegame folder, as numbered generations and then I finally finished the game.
And I haven't been bothered, ever since I had found and did EVERYTHING.
(Knocking on wood, for luck!) :D

yes these things could well be true about different game versions. Of course I would not be downloading another profile if I didn't need to, so I just I could see the unlockable content etc, but I know that these problems exist using files created by the same game on my installation, not downloadable ones.

Like you say at the end of every session I backup my savegames and profiles. In my case the profile is usless as it cannot be read in on restart so I have to create a new one so all progress is set to 0 again, but never had any problems with the gamesaves or autosaves themselves.

Also, as you say EIDOS should be concerned, you would have thought for something as severe as that you'd think they' d be a bit more pompt with a resolution, becuase there are a lot of smaller bugs in the game that to me after some tests all point back to this problem. For others the profile is loaded OK, but probably with the wrong info in it, which is why they get these glitches with items missing, or not being able to complete a level. So te problem is only pushed furhter down the line. i.e. perhaps the corruption or data written is not sufficiently corrupted to prevent the reading of the profile but has clearly has wrong data in it.

I Can't be bothered to dig out the links for these bugs, not the poiont here, but they are in this technical forum.

Funnily enough, I worked out that copying the files out of the way allowed me to work around it to continue playing the day the game came out, and is now what is posted on the EIDOS website, reworded rather poorly and missing some vital info/steps that I found to be important for that profile workaround to be succesful in some cases.

So much for quality EIDOS support :rasp:

Anyway, nice to see some people think likewise at least.

Dusan
30th Dec 2007, 10:09
BTW, I have heard that there are several versions of TRA, that have prevented the "generic" sharing of TRA savegame-sets.
That's right. I bought the Czech/Polish version of the game, the only one available here in the Czech Republic.
I was very surprised and disappointed to find out that majority of the saved games available on the net (created for the English version of the game) are of no use to me, because my game just says something like "Invalid data format" and refuses to load them.

Dusan
30th Dec 2007, 10:19
Btw, there's yet another minor glitch in the Czech/Polish version of TRA.
The subtitles cannot be switched off. Even if you turn the option Off in the main menu, either before you start playing of during the game, the subtitles are still displayed. :nut:

Jezyk
3rd Jan 2008, 18:44
Yeah you're right about the CZ/PL version:( I can't load the saves from the Fanzine #3 and also can't turn off the subtitles.

tiger
1st Jun 2008, 16:26
And one of the members said "Wait a year and we will probaly see one. . ."

Well, techies, any news on any TRA patches? :cool:

afborro
15th Jul 2008, 02:20
No chance :D good to keep this thead alive though and keep kicking support and the decision not to issue one. If they do the same with underworld and it had bugs I begin to think there must be some genuinely devious people working at CD and/or EIDOS who make those decisions.

Somehow I know that from day one I issued my first ticket, and eidos support saying it was being looked into, Yeah right, when I am retired lol !

tiger
17th Jul 2008, 21:54
Hello, Afborro! (Nice to see a familar face.) ;)

Well, to keep myself "entertained", I have been doing lots of minor mods with Japanese Hentai and some American adult-games, within modding groups who really seem to care about quality and the final product.

The Japanese companies don't seem to care and neither do the American's, it seems?
(And there we are quietly helping to boost their markets!) :thumbsup:

So, maybe, Eidos and CD are a bit blind to the huge communities of PC modders, out here? :scratch:

I suggested that I would like to do some special TRA non-critical maps to help their market, a bit.
(Oh well, maybe after sales falls far enough, then they will see the "light"?) :cool: