PDA

View Full Version : BO2 geography

Shrykull_the1st
3rd Oct 2007, 12:30
I was wondering, are the Warves in Freeport? In the BO2 map, all the boats set sail from there! And we see the Hylden City right in front of it.

And another thing, I've mapped out the Sarafan Stronghold from SR2 and Defiance and then I'm trying to merge them both in some way to make it seem right! Given the imensitude of the Stronghold AND that of Meridian (which I don't know if any of you realise, but it is BIG, not just some dot on the map) could the Sarafan Keep and the Sarafan Stronghold be the same?? They almost collide...

FearGhoul
3rd Oct 2007, 18:50
The Sarafan Keep in Blood Omen 2 seems to be quite a bit south of the Sarafan Stronghold. I don't think they're supposed to be the same area.

The DarkOne
4th Oct 2007, 00:55
Or maybe the sarafan keep is just the new building extension for the sarafan stronghold :rolleyes:

FearGhoul
4th Oct 2007, 03:00
And another thing, I've mapped out the Sarafan Stronghold from SR2 and Defiance and then I'm trying to merge them both in some way to make it seem right!

I think you'd be wasting your time trying to merge them into one map that makes sense. The Legacy of Kain games have never even bothered trying to keep stuff like that consistant. Sure we see certain places like the Pillars of Nosgoth or the room at the end of Soul Reaver 2 in more than one game, but the only thing I see them matching is the general geograhpical locations, but it's quite obvious that the areas near the specific locations aren't the same. These games don't seem to be trying to do a Metroid to Super Metroid thing here.

The DarkOne
4th Oct 2007, 10:56
Actually, there is such a thing as a complete map of Nosgoth and you could check it out here (http://www.dark-chronicle.co.uk/lok/map.php)

Shrykull_the1st
4th Oct 2007, 17:52
I think you'd be wasting your time trying to merge them into one map that makes sense. The Legacy of Kain games have never even bothered trying to keep stuff like that consistant. Sure we see certain places like the Pillars of Nosgoth or the room at the end of Soul Reaver 2 in more than one game, but the only thing I see them matching is the general geograhpical locations, but it's quite obvious that the areas near the specific locations aren't the same. These games don't seem to be trying to do a Metroid to Super Metroid thing here.

Yeah, well, I agree with you that they do some cheating in the architecture of the buildings, you've already seen my other thread, http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=71734 , a great example of that is the Sarafan Stronghold in SR2. Anyway, I'm just doing this for fun.

Actually, there is such a thing as a complete map of Nosgoth and you could check it out here

Yes, I'm aware of that map, but, IMO, some locations aren't that accurate...

Ardeth Silvereni
4th Oct 2007, 20:01
Yes, I'm aware of that map, but, IMO, some locations aren't that accurate...Out of curiousity, which locations strike you as inaccurate? Do you mean entirely inaccurate in terms of placement, or just inaccurate about the area they would take up?

At a glance - and I admit my Nosgothic geography may be a little rusty - I think the dots are pretty close, though perhaps not wholly representative of Nosgoth's places. The scale may be a bit wrong, but I think that the distances between places was inconsistant in the games (compare the distance between the Pillars and the Lake of the Dead in BO1 versus SR1, for example), so I'm pretty forgiving of that.

I would love to see a map that took settlement/building size into consideration, but I think you'll get a headache trying to do it. If I was going to attempt it, I would probably start off with BO1's map, and work from there. If you assume that the Sarafan Stronghold, no matter how big you map it, has to fit within the region of the Great Southern Lake, you'd have to enlarge that BO1 map accordingly. You'd be working with a massive map, but I reckon there would still be some distance between the Stronghold, and Meridian when you worked to that scale.

Shrykull_the1st
4th Oct 2007, 21:40
Out of curiousity, which locations strike you as inaccurate? Do you mean entirely inaccurate in terms of placement, or just inaccurate about the area they would take up?

At a glance - and I admit my Nosgothic geography may be a little rusty - I think the dots are pretty close, though perhaps not wholly representative of Nosgoth's places. The scale may be a bit wrong, but I think that the distances between places was inconsistant in the games (compare the distance between the Pillars and the Lake of the Dead in BO1 versus SR1, for example), so I'm pretty forgiving of that.

I would love to see a map that took settlement/building size into consideration, but I think you'll get a headache trying to do it. If I was going to attempt it, I would probably start off with BO1's map, and work from there. If you assume that the Sarafan Stronghold, no matter how big you map it, has to fit within the region of the Great Southern Lake, you'd have to enlarge that BO1 map accordingly. You'd be working with a massive map, but I reckon there would still be some distance between the Stronghold, and Meridian when you worked to that scale.

Wow! I'm very glad to see your interest in this subject, thanks!

Well about the map, the major thing I whould say it is the Great Southern Lake and the Pillars. Well, I never really understood very well, but I think that the lake you see in SR2, where the Stronghold is, isn't exactly the WHOLE lake right? It should be bigger, I think... So I tried to fit the Fortress in it, considering the "bridge" that crosses to the other side. In the end, it gives, as you said, a very LARGE building. Now, moving on to Defiance, when you're at the Pillars, you have that vista point where you see the Stronghold at the distance (which, by the way, should be bigger than what we see). But the thing is, it's practically South from the Pillars, and in that map, if the Stronghold is in the western part of the lake, it ends up being to the west of the Pillars!

Talking about big maps, I'm mapping by hand (not very accurate) SR2 and Defiance, and merging them together. And right now it doesn't fit in a table for six! :p

Well i've posted now 2 versions of the SR1 map. What I see, the reason for the unmatching locations must be, since the enormous amount of upheavals and cataclysms the land has sufered, that Nosgoth has stretched. See these 2 maps and give me your opinion.

http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nosgothsr15yo4.jpg
http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nosgothsr16eu2.jpg

I'm trying to find the right scale for the buildings and the rest. I think like that, it is close. Interesting to see that the Human Citadel could be the birthplace of Lord Kain, Coorhagen. I think this was already refered...

And regarding the Lake-Pillars, I think that the map from BO2 represents it the best. Afterall, it was the latest official version of the map. However, they forgot Nachtholm...:whistle:

FearGhoul
5th Oct 2007, 02:22
Don't forget history changes! There's your magic answer!

Linikratyo
18th Aug 2008, 14:20
http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nosgothsr15yo4.jpg
http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nosgothsr16eu2.jpg

I'm trying to find the right scale for the buildings and the rest. I think like that, it is close. Interesting to see that the Human Citadel could be the birthplace of Lord Kain, Coorhagen. I think this was already refered...
well............. I think you should know the Abyss is at the same place of the lost city........... :whistle:
there is a connection between these 2...... (LoK 6!!) :whistle: