PDA

View Full Version : T3 Looping movies intro screen

Sir Chandresque
29th Sep 2007, 11:44
I have downloaded Thief: Deadly Shadows through Steam. Once I launch the game the intro movie appears but keeps looping around and will not let me exit to the main menu. If I keep ESC depressed it shows the menu behind the intro movie but won't exit the movie.

EDIT: A couple of users here have reported that the intro movies in T3 repeat in a loop, and they cannot play the game. After a lot of useless responses, because I had never heard of the problem, I think I stumbled upon a way to fix this. See posts 10, 11, and 12. I don't have this problem myself, so someone needs to try this solution and let me know if it works. PDS.

Peter_Smith
3rd Oct 2007, 03:23
I would do a search for "steam" both here and at TTLG. I am not familiar with the Steam version's foibles. I have heard bad things about it, though. Good luck. Please post back with your results, if any, good or bad.

twktwk21
23rd Dec 2007, 09:21
The same thing happens for me... in fact i posted it the moment it happened. My system specs are: Windows XP (microsoft), AMD athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual, 2.20GHz, 1.00 GB RAM

Please help

Peter_Smith
23rd Dec 2007, 17:18
As you may gather from my previous post, I don't know what the looping problem is or how to fix it directly. I would blame it on steam. One thing you might try is to find the offending movie files in your setup folder and move them to another folder. The intro movies are a nuisance anyway.

In my setup (which may be different from steam), the intro movies are located in this folder:

C:\Program Files\Thief - Deadly Shadows\CONTENT\T3\VideoTextures

I put another folder under here called "junk" and moved the unnecessary intro movie files into it. In my installation, the unnecessary movie files are:

copyright_engl_none_30.bik
eax_engl_none_30.bik
Eidos-Logo_engl_none_30.bik
Ionstorm-Logo_engl_none_30.bik
nvidia_engl_none_30.bik

Yours may be different.

Please post back and let us know if this solves it or not.

twktwk21
25th Dec 2007, 04:59
Ok.. so i didnt exactly move those unnecessary files... i deleted them. And it worked... the first time. I off my com for about 3 hours, turn in on after that, start Thief: DS and the intro movie loop plays again.

Ne ideas?

So i figured i would just move the ThiefTrailerNoESRB_engl_none_30.bik (the intro movie) file to my desktop and see wat happens. Now, the screen wif the words, "Cry Brethren.... traitor.... something something" is repeating... and if i ESC the screen just blinks back rapidly again and again :(

Peter_Smith
25th Dec 2007, 08:36
You you could try moving different files out to see if something else is causing it. When I move all the intro movies out, those in my list, it starts up TDS directly and enters the "loading" screen. From there it goes to a menu screen - new game, load game, etc. Again, your files could be different.

I can't understand why it would work one minute and fail the next. Maybe steam is detecting missing files and doing a mini-install for you.

I have no other ideas other than it sounds like your Steam has sprung a leak. :( I would first see if they have a tech support forum. If not, I would complain to Steam and try to get my money back. I have heard nothing but bad reports from the Steam version. Of course, if there were good reports, I would not hear them, so I have no idea what is the failure rate.

You can get this game on e-bay for $12.00 (buy it now) and you get CD's with it. Steam costs $18.00 for a download that you have to authenticate over the internet every time you play. What is the motivation to buy their product?

twktwk21
26th Dec 2007, 06:31
actuallly bought this game from a shop not downloading it off Steam. I've actually moved the entire videotextures folder to my desktop, so the "Cry Brethren... Betrayer...blah blah" screen that keeps popping up isnt a videotexture file! Perhaps some1 knows the exact file name?

Peter_Smith
26th Dec 2007, 17:11
I am afraid I don't have a clue. If it were me, I would be tempted to deinstall the game, delete all files associated with the game, and reinstall. I know this is a standard lame tech support response. We are not tech support here but users. I doubt that anyone here knows the structure of the game in enough detail to know what file is causing you problems. But it seems clear that there has been something wrong with your installation from the very beginning, and it is not the movie files themselves but something else that causes the game to fail. I mean, it should have worked with the movie files in place.

What is your video card and its drivers? Have you upgraded the video drivers to the latest version? If it is on-board video or if you have a laptop, it might never work. You did not mess with the EXE in any way, did you? Did you do something tricky or non-standard in the install? Are you sure you deleted only the intro movie files? Maybe some essential file has been removed, so the game goes nuts. I would not have deleted them, by the way. It is hard to repair if you mess up.

ChazFox
5th Jan 2008, 18:29
I've got the same looping intro problem, and I have the DVD version of Thief DS (The "PCGamer Presents") edition. After looking around the internet, the problem seems to lie with having a multicore processor. For whatever reason, the Thief games dislike dual-core/quad-core processors. Looking around, I've read that it's possible to fix the problem permanently by doing something with a program called imagecfg, but does anyone know if we can get Eidos to release another patch for all games affected by the multicore issues?

Peter_Smith
6th Jan 2008, 07:39
Until now, I did not think that the dual core problem affected Thief 3. It certainly does not affect my installation. I have no looping intro. A long time ago, I hid those movies so they don't play at all.

Your post prompted me to think a little more about it. I went to the TTLG FAQ. Lo and behold, the intro looping problem is mentioned there: Check this out (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#loopingintro).

Please post again and let us know if this fixes it.

I think the chances of a patch are zero to none. Eidos does not do programming. They are the publisher. The programmers, Ion Storm Austin, have been out of business for a long while.

Peter_Smith
6th Jan 2008, 07:53
The instructions in the TTLG FAQ are incomplete. They do not tell you how to get into the Task Manager while the game is running. You can do this by hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the Task Manager. Then you select the Processes tab and right click, in turn, on the two processes T3Main.exe and T3.exe. Then select Set Affinity and uncheck one CPU. That should get it working.

The interesting thing about this is that once you start the Task Manager, you cannot get back into running the game unless you set affinity of both processes to one processor! The game is frozen, and you have to kill the application in the Task Manager to do anything. I did not know this before. I just played the game and exited normally.

So now I see that when you interact with windows while the game is running, the dual core problem really is an issue. So I am going to fix this permanently using Salvage's method (imagecfg).

I'll post back when this is done and list a BAT file that will do it for you.

Peter_Smith
6th Jan 2008, 20:50
Setting affinity automatically has proven to be much more difficult than I had imagined. There are two EXEs that need to be set: t3.exe, and t3Main.exe. t3Main can be set using IMAGECFG. t3 cannot, at least on my system. I have done a lot of internet searching and not could not find a valid reason. I suspect that something about the copy protection is preventing t3.exe from being modified.

Anyway, I found another solution. Here is what finally worked for me.

First, I note that t3.exe is what you invoke to start the application, and t3Main.exe is then spawned as a separate process by t3.exe. t3Main.exe does all the work. I think t3.exe just checks for CD and copy protection.

To set affinity for t3Main.exe permanently, first download the file IMAGECFG.EXE. Place IMAGECFG.EXE in C:\WINDOWS\system32, so it is in your PATH. Then, to set affinity permanently for t3Main.exe I used the following BAT file, which I stored in and ran from the folder
C:\Program Files\Thief - Deadly Shadows\System
(where t3Main.exe is located).

processor.bat
------------
copy t3Main.exe t3Main_before_imagecfg.exe
imagecfg -u t3Main.exe
imagecfg -a 0x1 t3Main.exe
pause

So now, when t3Main.exe is invoked, it is set to run on only one processor, CPU0.

I tried doing the same thing as above using t3.exe, and it failed with the following error message:

C:\Program Files\Thief - Deadly Shadows\System>imagecfg -u t3.exe
IMAGECFG: unable to map and load t3.exe
and the same message with the second IMAGECFG line (-a).

As I said, I could not solve this problem. Further research disclosed another way to set affinity on launch of the t3.exe program. It is to invoke t3.exe using launcher program XCPU.EXE. This is an obscure little utility found at this web page:

http://www.appliedvisual.com/xcpu.htm

So I agreed to the license, downloaded xcpu.zip into a download folder,
C:\Download\XCPU
(this is just the way I download things),
and extracted xcpu.exe from the zip.

Then I launch t3.exe using the following bat file:

t3_launch.bat
--------------
C:\Download\xCPU\xcpu.exe -a 0 -c t3.exe

Now when I go back and forth to the Task Manager using CTRL-ALT-DEL, the game no longer freezes.

So, this has solved the problem for me, although I am not happy that it is so complicated.

Please post back and let me know if this works for you.

baccaruda
10th May 2008, 21:18
All I get when I run teh xcpu bat file is a dos box prompting me to enter
1 - Test
2 - Exit

If I enter 1 then the dos box goes black with the word "Test" in the upper left.

Waitaminnit ... I got a % value increasing slowly... more later.

baccaruda
10th May 2008, 21:43
I think the xcpu.exe that I found is something completely different.
(btw, your link no longer works)

Peter_Smith
11th May 2008, 16:07
Since posting about xcpu, which is an obscure method, I found a more standard piece of software: the program ProcessWatch. That needs a little setup, too, but it is more straightforward in some respects. Someone mentioned an even simpler way, but I cannot remember it. I still use ProcessWatch.

baccaruda
12th May 2008, 20:34
Thanks for your response. However, it turned out that T3 has a problem with SecureROM - the component responsible for mandating the presence of the Installation Disk - and the way it interacts with some of the newer Optical drives - such as some of the IDE dual layers and HD, and some of the newer SATA optical drives. Even though I found this information on EIDOS' site, they didn't provide a fix so I came up with an "alternative" that works like a champ!

Get with the program, EIDOS!! How about an "official" workaround???

fishjie
17th Jul 2008, 03:35
haha I wanted to play thief 3 at the start of this year, but ran into that problem and gave up, being unable to find any solutions on google. later, I finally found other people with the problem and fixed it. for me, it was indeed a problem with multiple procs. I used imagecfg to fix it. here is my batch file that I created to fix it:

imagecfg -u t3.exe
imagecfg -u t3main.exe
imagecfg -a 0x1 t3.exe
imagecfg -a 0x1 t3main.exe
pause