PDA

View Full Version : Revamping Thief Series

FinnyBoi
16th Sep 2007, 01:43
Hey, I don't know what you lot think, but I would rally like it if Eidos or whoever could revamp the first two Thief games, you know, graphics wise. Maybe add the third person perspective, but definately keeping the same missions and storyline. Plz leave your thoughts on the topic, but no abusive comments.
FinnyBoi :)

theBlackman
16th Sep 2007, 02:41
Third person SUCKS big time. If, as in THIEF, you are sneaking around in the real world, you see only what you see. You don't have a view of you, the complete world around you and a view of what is hiding around the corner.

In my never humble opinion, it would ruin the game. It is bad enough that Thief Deadly Shadows was dumbed down for the impatient, and fumble fingered console version with added third person view so nobody gets surprised, or needs to actually think about the action they are taking.

Thief is a game about using your wits, developing the skill to become a thief and do the job well. Not about "get through the game with no need to be skilled, imaginative, or patient."

Why not add a BFG while you are at it. Then you could have DOOM with a Thief as the hero.

Peter_Smith
18th Sep 2007, 03:11
LOL :D I'll leave it to you to decide if tBM was being abusive. My reading is that he was being his typical charming self.;)

I agree completely that third person sucks. I think that no revamping is required. There is a price to be paid for every professional revamping effort. The urge to do something new can easily mess up the original concept. We have seen the result of that. In any case, I think that Eidos would not undertake it. They are in business to make money, not perfect something that is almost perfect. The best hope for a revamp is if some person takes The Dark Mod and recreates the original games. That would be very interesting. But, creativity being what it is, I would not hold my breath. That would be a novelty item, not a new adventure. The reason that hundreds of FM's exist is that they are something new.

As for Doom, I recently finished a four-week run of Eternal Doom III. Now don't bad mouth my BFG 9000. It does come in handy.:)

theBlackman
18th Sep 2007, 03:26
I love you too Peter. :D

Rommel_1891
18th Sep 2007, 22:38
It'd be fun to see the original Thief games on a newer engine. However, I doubt we'd ever see Eidos do it, as the cost would be along the lines of a developing new game, and Thief just isn't THAT big of a money maker for them to justify it.

More than likely, it'd be die-hard taffers to do it. Like all those that gave us the plethora of T1/TG and T2 FM's out there, as well as T2X.

R_Soul
19th Sep 2007, 15:34
Nameless Voice is working on an Enhancement Pack (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97198) which improves the appearance of some of a lot of the objects. Others have also contributed. It's still in progress.

FinnyBoi
28th Sep 2007, 11:31
I know what you mean about the third person. I guess I just started playing like that. But anyway, I'd just luv to see it on a more recent console. ESPECIALLY the Wii. I think it could be great on the Wii. Of course, the stealth component really does make for a suspenseful game, and on the Wii, it'd be like your there. Anyway, you're right. Eidos are probably to busy to revamp the Thief Series. What with the hard work revamping Lara Croft...and Lego Star Wars...and NOT THIEF. lol:D
FinnyBoi

Huntress
1st Oct 2007, 23:06
I have to say tBM, that I also burst out laughing at those lines about BFG etc. :D

Well for FPS's type of genre...there's no substitue for first-person view. Third person gaming is good for some games (which I do play as well...mostly RPG's since the range of view is important when fighting multiple enemies many times) but as your example of Thief...(also in the same vein is Deus Ex) or others of the same class, just wouldn't be the same games. That is the basic reason I didn't buy T3..for all the reasons tBM and Peter said!

I'm afraid you'll need to look elsewhere for your gaming on the Wii...I'm a die-hard PC player and happy to stay that way. :)

benny's taffer boy
14th Nov 2007, 04:38
as great as it would be to see Thief 1/2 with Thief 3 graphics, I still kinda like the old-school look of Thief. It brings me back to the days when a Pentium 266 mhz was king of the hill and a 3dfx VooDoo graphics card was the thing to have :D

but ya...I wouldn't mind too much if they make a Thief 4. That would be pretty awesome...

Hexameron
20th Nov 2007, 22:29
as great as it would be to see Thief 1/2 with Thief 3 graphics, I still kinda like the old-school look of Thief. It brings me back to the days when a Pentium 266 mhz was king of the hill and a 3dfx VooDoo graphics card was the thing to have :D

Exactly... The reason I play Thief 1/2 FM's rather than T3 is because of nostalgia and adoration of the old dark engine. I don't want to see the old Thief OM's revamped just because the results might include better graphics. It's bad enough classic films are being remade to suit popular tastes. But TDP and TMA are works of art... let's leave them alone.

WhatsHisFace
16th Dec 2007, 20:30
Thief 3 really gets more bashing than it deserves. I agree that it should have been a graphically overhauled Thief 2, but what we got certainly wasn't a bad game and I actually enjoyed some of the levels more than most Thief 1 and 2 missions.

Yeah, the (optional, and not even default) Third-Person felt like they were trying to be SplinterCell, and I miss the rope arrow and being able to swim as well. But really, the game was great.

yubetcha
18th Feb 2008, 13:45
Thief 3 really gets more bashing than it deserves. I agree that it should have been a graphically overhauled Thief 2, but what we got certainly wasn't a bad game and I actually enjoyed some of the levels more than most Thief 1 and 2 missions.

Yeah, the (optional, and not even default) Third-Person felt like they were trying to be SplinterCell, and I miss the rope arrow and being able to swim as well. But really, the game was great.

Then you should say so here:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119568

BTW, hi all. Been awhile.