PDA

View Full Version : thief gold

chaosman111
13th Sep 2007, 11:47
when im doing start training or skip training the game crashes and doing the Not Responding error.
what should i do?
oh and the intro isn't working either..

Peter_Smith
14th Sep 2007, 03:27
You should post your system specs including cpu, video card, and driver version. Then maybe we can help.

chaosman111
14th Sep 2007, 19:25
Intel DualCore CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs)
geforce 7950gt
1GB ram
160gb hard drive

Peter_Smith
14th Sep 2007, 20:14
You have two problems, and you need to fix them both.

The first is, you need to make Thief run on only one of your two CPU's. You can set affinity of the Thief process to one CPU temporarily in the Task Manager (after you start the game, but before you do any rendering). Better yet, you can do a permanent fix using imagecfg.

In case you mess something up, make a backup:
copy thief.exe thief_backup.exe

Then download imagecfg.exe and do the following at the command prompt:
imagecfg -u thief.exe
imagecfg -a 0x1 thief.exe
pause

The second problem is, Thief 1 (TDP or Gold) crashes with any Nvidia driver more recent than the 8000 series. With a 7950 GT, you no doubt have a 93xx driver or later. You need to revert to an older driver that recognizes your card. There are no Nvidia offerings that do this. I have a 7950 GT, and after much gnashing of teeth I found a modified 84.56 driver that works great (click here) (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1744187&postcount=302).

To revert to an older driver, you need to deinstall the current one, reboot, install the old one, and reboot.

Please post back with your results.

chaosman111
14th Sep 2007, 21:17
two things
from where do i download imagecfg.exe?
and second, if im installing older drivers wouldn't it do to me problems with newer games?
edit: and how do i deinstall my current driver?

Peter_Smith
14th Sep 2007, 22:05
two things
from where do i download imagecfg.exe?

Do a Google search to find a download site. You can also search microsoft.com to get some information about it.

and second, if im installing older drivers wouldn't it do to me problems with newer games?

Probably not. It will do you no harm to try. If it does cause problems, then you have a choice to reinstall the newer ones when you want.

edit: and how do i deinstall my current driver?

Go to Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs. Select Nvidia Drivers. Select video driver component (if you have more than one component such as motherboard). If you have only one component, there will be only one choice. Deinstall video drivers. Reboot. It will come up with generic driver.

chaosman111
14th Sep 2007, 22:44
the imagecfg.exe isn't working
im double clicking it and it doesn't do anything

Peter_Smith
14th Sep 2007, 23:02
I said to run it from the command prompt with the command lines given, not to double click on it. It needs command arguments. These operations require a certain knowledge of computers. Maybe you should get some help.

chaosman111
14th Sep 2007, 23:04
oh so you could just say to run cmd didn't you?

chaosman111
14th Sep 2007, 23:10
now im doing the line in there but is says :
unable to map and load thief.exe

Peter_Smith
15th Sep 2007, 06:15
It looks like you need to get all your files in the right place or specify paths to the files in the command lines.