PDA

View Full Version : USER INTERFACE Could use an animation for the healing stations

Worm4real
30th Nov 2013, 03:17
As it is right now you just get the progress bar and nothing else. It's sort of difficult at first to tell when you are actually using the station, some sound effect and a little animation would probably do wonders in letting a new player know he pressed the right button.

Amorbis
30th Nov 2013, 17:34
This would also be handy for team mates as well as they can easily tell if you're healing or not. However, it would also tell the vampire team that it's safe to attack to player using the resupply station.

hirukaru
30th Nov 2013, 17:50
In my experience I never had any problem with the healing stations.

Pressing the use key<Default; E> and I start seeing a progress bar around my aim circle.
As you say it might be difficult at first but later you will know what to look for.

Probably when the team created a tutorial healing will also be involved.
Els someone from the community will create a written tutorial.

Worm4real
1st Dec 2013, 04:03
Amorbis eh people are facing the thing only for one reason really. Certainly we can't be worrying about the tactical advantage of being able to pretend you're using a health station, right?

hirukaru sometimes the progress bar blends color-wise. Certainly you could get used to it, hell, you could probably get used to there being no progress bar and counting in your head! I still think a visual or audio cue would improve the game. Showing is always better than telling.

hirukaru
1st Dec 2013, 16:37
Dear Worm4Real,

The progress bar is a visual cue. hihi.
But it might be better to let it pop out more indeed.

Zindiq
2nd Dec 2013, 14:22
maybe the progress bar could be a brighter color ,but other than that I don't see a need to change it. ( a tutorial about how to use them would allways be nice if they get to make them)

r0ckwolf
3rd Dec 2013, 14:20
I have played a lot of other F2P games recently, including those that were really really hyped by the industry and i can only say that it was shocking how little attention was put into the animations. Considering the early stage of the game and how great the stuff is that is already in their, nosgoth doesn´t seem to follow this pattern. But continous improvement needs to be an priority.

Animations are one of the best ways to reward player actions and increase immersion at the same time, also it´s the best way to visually indicate wat is going on onscreen. Even though i had no problem telling when i used the Healing Station with the progressbar, i absolutely agree that an animation would do the Job far better. ^^

greetings

r0ckwolf

Worm4real
4th Dec 2013, 03:02
rockwolf, I totally agree. I would have brought up the point earlier but I didn't think needed to justify such simple feedback. Considering the pushback on this I'm actually worried that the devs might read the forum and become convinced that no one cares if there is an animation or not.

It just looks cheap, it's something you'd see in a KR F2P game circa 2002. The UI element certainly doesn't pop out at you and I don't think there is any real argument for providing players with the absolute bare minimum of feedback, I've heard of minimalist UIs but never minimalist animations. I really hope they're of a different opinion than some of the posters here.