PDA

View Full Version : SCOUT Build discussion

Oroibahazopi
28th Nov 2013, 16:24
Loadouts I currently use are:

Compound Bow, Knives, Volley, (Fleet Footed)
Compound Bow, Knives, Trap, (Fleet Footed)

Changed up to compound bow because the swiftbow nerf really hurt the charged shot dps, and although it's still better than the compound bow the compound bow has much better unaimed fire dps.

Knives are still easily the best primary, instantly knock off reavers and sents, and stun cocky tyrants who try to chain jump/charge into shockwave/groundslam.

I use trap all the time, volley is nice granted but being able to cover a healing station with a trap is so good. I have seen people use grapple and play decent (well honestly one person) but I still think it's just asking for death.

No where near enough gold to test perks yet but my hunch on fleet footed still holds.

A lot of the quoted stuff below still applies.

Loadouts I currently use are:

Swiftbow, Knives, Volley, (Fleet Footed)
Swiftbow, Knives, Trap, (Fleet Footed)

Swiftbow is hands down the best bow for Scout, you can easily do 800 damage in the time it takes the others to do ~400. Even with the knockdown the warbow is inferior imo.

Knives will save your life, and the lives of your team mates, a lot more often than the Camouflage. Camouflage just leads to the idea of the solo scout on rooftop concept with is usually just a liability to the team.

Volley is very good in open ground for forcing Vampires out of their cover, either round corners or on rooftops. You can throw it a very long way. It might not be needed though if you have competent alchemists on your team. Even then it's good for covering a team fight in a long duration dps field.
Trap is just great, lots of damage and really punishes vampire teams who don't clear them first. Bear in mind though you can only have one out at a time and it takes quite a long time to deploy. Often better used in and around buildings so it's harder for Tyrants to just run in and clear them.

I chose Fleet Footed because the extra speed will save your life, faster regroups and makes it easier to run from vampires.

General Tips: Because of the really short charge up on the Swiftbow you don't need to spend much time zoomed in and can benefit from your normal fov. Just stay awake and keep looking on rooftops and corners/walls of the maps for sents and reavers.
The short draw time will also allow you to shoot pouncing reavers and jumping tyrants, it's especially fun watching one explode mid air.
Use your abilities for area denial and use them often.
Knives will instantly knock a reaver or sentinel off a human, so be a buddy.
Don't be that "I'm a lone wolf guy", you know the guy with Camouflage and Grappling hook. I have yet to see someone play that and not be free kills leaving your team to 3v4 very often.

hirukaru
28th Nov 2013, 17:35
The warbow can do around 700dmg to a sentinel in flight and it will fall down.
the swiftbow is a nice bow cause it has nice dps.
the stormbow is a semi AOE attack and can be used to kill sentinels that are using evade.

I recommend using the knive and trap/turret.

When you are used to the scout you can use grappling hook to take out those nasty sentinels easly. (Combined with warbow)

Oroibahazopi
28th Nov 2013, 17:44
The swiftbow has better dps than the default one? Oh I see it's half the draw time hmm. So what do you suggest, I might actually go swiftbow now because you're less vulnerable to getting blindsided from the fov decrease.

I didn't even mention the turret because ai controlled aimbots in arena shooters can burn in fire.

hirukaru
28th Nov 2013, 18:30
The turret does a 360 degree continues damage
In small room very usefull to kill vampires.

You really have to test the bows out.
Everyone likes a different one.

Amorbis
28th Nov 2013, 20:02
After trying the bows I'm sticking to the swift bow. I find it useful having full damage/zoom quicker, I might be able to hit a flying Sentinel twice instead of once with the other bows.

Today I tried using the default knives/volley combination which works OK, I didn't really feel the grapple hook as I felt too vulnerable being away from team mates. The knife stun is great when you find yourself in a one on one, especially combined with the swift bow, I was able to take down Reavers and Sentinels most of the time.

Oroibahazopi
28th Nov 2013, 20:20
Yep swiftbow makes sense. I really hate losing almost a 3rd of my vision just from the character model when zooming though let alone the lower fov, being able to adjust the zoom sensitivity independently would be helpful too.

Trap has to be better than the volley, it always scores 400 dmg when I see it. Volley can be avoided.

Psyonix_Corey
28th Nov 2013, 20:38
The Scout zoom is an intentional trade off for being able to take off half a Reavers life at long range in one hit. We have no plans to introduce manual zoom control.

All Scout bows have higher DPS when rapid fired unaimed. The full draw is great for sniping but I wouldn't recommend fully drawing shots in close range combat.

Oroibahazopi
28th Nov 2013, 20:43
The problem with that line of thought is you can do nothing to stop people with on the fly adjustable mouse dpi from gaining an advantage.

Oroibahazopi
30th Nov 2013, 02:50
Swiftbow 100% worth it, nearly double the dps.

Asutsi
1st Dec 2013, 22:07
i should try the swiftbow in the next playing season ( i was playing with the standard one )

hirukaru
1st Dec 2013, 23:33
The problem with that line of thought is you can do nothing to stop people with on the fly adjustable mouse dpi from gaining an advantage.

got my DPI at max always xd. Since Iam used to it again.

Oroibahazopi
2nd Dec 2013, 00:19
i should try the swiftbow in the next playing season ( i was playing with the standard one )
You may never turn back. Not just because you get an over all dps increase just by stats but because 1) you don't have to spend so much time in zoom mode and therefore have better awareness (fov drop) 2) you can react more quickly to target opportunities and not feel you have to sit zoomed to hope to get a hit which also means you get more damage down and 3) you can fire more before reloading.

You do need to have good accuracy in order to maximize the bow's potential though.

I think the 2.5 seconds of the warbow is just too long for the extra knockback, though I haven't tried the bow yet (and I don't intend to until I've got a few more bits of gear and a couple of perks unlocked)

Strike5150
2nd Dec 2013, 10:14
The warbow is extremely strong if your team can create the space you need to use it. Camo plus grapple plus warbow is broken. If you can aim half decent its really strong. You don't even need to stick with your team, you can just grapple kill some fools, and dive off a roof/camo as soon as they get close. They'll never catch you.

Zindiq
2nd Dec 2013, 14:02
I agree on this , when I play vampire I think the warbow is the strongest, mainly because it interrupt a lot of abilityes on the vampires

Oroibahazopi
2nd Dec 2013, 14:54
Every scout I've seen trying to hide away from the group just dies, especially if they "hide" on the roof.

Also it takes something like 3.5 seconds to take a shot and start shooting again ( some kind of attack cooldown), in that time you can fire the swiftbow twice and do 800 damage. Which means you can kill a sent in a couple of normal arrow shots afterwards.

Oroibahazopi
4th Dec 2013, 14:48
After reading a little about the trap's mechanics, and using volley a lot more. I'm beginning to think that volley might be better.

Against a good team your trap will probably just get wasted whereas volley will always be able to area deny.

Still certain that knives are a must have so cloak's out, which also means the grapple is out since without cloak you are dead if you stroll alone rooftops.

Oroibahazopi
7th Dec 2013, 17:12
OP edited.

cmstache
7th Dec 2013, 17:51
Trap is just different than volley. Not to mention that if you place a trap well, you don't have to think about when to use it AND if it goes off your CD is already over and rdy to trap again for more dmg. It's also useful for those chasers, in fact, that's the best use I've found since the activation is slow.

Oroibahazopi
19th Dec 2013, 00:46
Money is on Stormbow being the new doomsday weapon. Everything else is the same.

ZangarftheWrassler
19th Dec 2013, 17:48
So far, I have stuck with the defaults (Knives and Volley) and am afraid to branch out. I could see traps working for people who would rather not look over their shoulders every 2 seconds but I prefer the versatility that volley can have and I refuse to get rid of knives (DAT MID-AIR STOPPING POWAH!)

I am wondering if anyone has tried or purchased other perks that might support the Scout, like accuracy or something else? I am saving up for a perma-accuracy perk (big endeavor I know), but might want to try it out before dropping that kind of gold. Any thoughts?

I also want to try the Swift Bow and War Bow but I love the speed of the Composite and feel that the trade-offs for switching aren't worth it. I think I might be playing it too safely with all of this though. I don't want to spend the gold on an item I really won't like even if it's for a significant fraction of the full permanent cost.

Out of vamps and humans, Scout is my baby. I like being in a role where if I need to go 1-on-1 with an opponent I can.

Oroibahazopi
19th Dec 2013, 17:52
I'm using composite right now while waiting for enough gold for the Stormbow (read upcoming patch notes). I think the swiftbow has fallen out of vogue these days and I refuse to bow to the Warbow crowd. 2.5 seconds is too long.

Not really used any perks other than the dailies yet, takes way too much gold especially now I've committed to outfit a secondary class for each team.