PDA

View Full Version : Thief: Deadly Shadows, Startup Error

Game_Explorer
13th Aug 2007, 22:13
After finding this game among my collection I installed it on my new XPS 410 Dell Computer and came across a few problems.

Whenever I try to start the game I get:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runetime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Thief - Deadly Shadows\System\t3.exe

abnormal program termination

--------------------

My Graphics card is more than capable of handling the pixels and shaders. My discs installed it just fine.

If anyone could link me to the answer or help me here I'd appreciate it.

Game_Explorer
13th Aug 2007, 22:17
Also note that I'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002

2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Processor with 2 GBs of RAM.

Peter_Smith
15th Aug 2007, 01:12
I've never heard of this error message, but that doesn't mean much. Do you have a visual C++ runtime library installed? The main file is msvcrt.dll, located in the Windows folder, but there are other msvc*.dll files as well. I would think T3 would install it if it didn't already exist, but maybe not. Also, there may be a compatibility issue with the MSVC runtime library you already have installed. I would go to Microsoft's support pages, look it up in the knowledge base, and reinstall the MSVC library. I don't know for sure, but maybe the .NET framework has that as a subset. If that doen't fix it, I would reinstall T3.

Please post back your results.

Game_Explorer
15th Aug 2007, 21:52
I fixed it with an outside alternative program that somehow got around the initial startup sequence. Thanks for replying, your method may have worked better, mine was just more convenient.