PDA

View Full Version : "Valkyrie Profile Lenneth"

member_10740464
27th Jul 2012, 16:45
Hello SQUARE ENIX MEMBERS! how are you today everyone? I hope everything is just fine with you and all, you can always send friend requests or messeges to me at anytime and ask anything you want help with or to know about, you're always warmly welcome! ^_^

In this thread, we're going to talk about a classic role-playing game, which is "Valkyrie Profile Lenneth" from Square Enix and tri-Ace, The game was released in 2000 for Sony PlayStation (PSone), it is also remastered on the PlayStation Portable (PSP) in 2006. ^.^

This is my review of "Valkyrie Profile Lenneth" in the 5 main game elements: Story, Graphics, Sound, Gameplay and Overall Rank Title. ^_^

>.< !May Contain Spoilers! >.<

1- Story: "Valkyrie Profile Lenneth" takes place mostly in Midgard during the war between the Æsir and Vanir. Midgard consists of a several smaller islands surrounding a large continent where the majority of humans live. The kingdom of Villnore, which includes the village of Coriander and the Weeping Lily Meadow, are in the northwest. The kingdom of Gerabellum, including the village of Lassen, occupy the southwestern portion of the continent. The militaristic Crell Monferaigne controls most of the eastern half of the continent. The small kingdom of Artolia and village of Camille, located centrally, are often caught in wars between their three larger neighbors. The monarchy of Flenceburg, known for its magical academy, lies on a peninsula in the southeast. The rest of the continent is covered by mountains, forests, swamps, and ancient ruins. The land of Hai-Lan lies on the island of Yamato to the southwest while the Lost City of Dipan (featured in Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria) is on an island to the north. The Forest of Spirits, home of the elves in Midgard, lies on a large island to the south-east of Flenceburg. The Palace of the Dragon lies on a small island to the east. The castle of Brahms, lord of the undead, floats over an island to the west. Finally, the final part of the game brings Lenneth to either Jotunheim Palace, home of the Vanir, or Asgard Hill, home of the Æsir, depending on which ending is achieved. ^_^

2- Graphics: The envioroments are in a nice realistic 2D-3D, with a detailed and coloful 16Bit characters and visuals effects in general, the CG cinematics cutscenes in the remasterd version on the PlayStation Portable (PSP) are just awesome. ^.^

3- Sound: The sound effects are pretty clear and loud at the same time, the voice acting in the remasterd version on the PlayStation Portable (PSP) is very good, the music is simply fantastic, especially the battles themes, it scored by Motoi Sakuraba. ^_^

4- Gameplay: Dungeon exploration plays more like a platform game than a traditional RPG, with Lenneth Valkyrie the only visible character and capable of jumping, sliding, swinging her sword, and shooting ice crystals. Ice crystals can make temporary steps and freeze enemies and are used for solving many puzzles. Upon contact with an unfrozen enemy, an RPG-style battle begins. Enemies are visible and attacking them gives Lenneth a first attack advantage in combat. Lenneth can also engage an enemy in battle by coming into contact with them; in this case, there is a 50% chance that the enemy will have the first attack. Travel on the world map occurs in a 3D third-person perspective, with Lenneth flying in the skies over Midgard. Pressing the Start button allows her to perform a "Spiritual Concentration", which reveals new dungeons, cities and towns, and recruitable einherjar. When entering a city or town, the game switches to a 2D profile view and Lenneth will disguise herself as a human, allowing her to interact with inhabitants without drawing attention to herself. Much of the game consists of Lenneth locating and recruiting new einherjar (with cut-scenes of the circumstances of their deaths), training them, and determining if and when to send them to Valhalla to fight alongside with the Æsir. Character development for most of Einherjar consists of their "death scenes," which are often dramatic and highly emotional and often steeped in symbolism and metaphors, and dialogue between them and the Gods while in Valhalla. Each einherjar has a Hero Value, a number representing their usefulness in Valhalla, and Lenneth must send einherjar with the proper hero values and skills to survive in Valhalla and keep Odin and Freya satisfied. as for the compat, "Valkyrie Profile Lenneth" has a unique turn-based battle system. The two sides wage battle during alternate turns, with the whole party sharing one turn and able to attack simultaneously during that turn. Each enemy is given their own turn and do not combine attacks with one another. Each of the party members is assigned to one of the buttons on the controller (Square, Triangle, Circle, or Cross). Pressing the corresponding button on the player's turn orders that character to attack. Fighters have three character-specific attacks each turn, though weapons can limit how many they can use. Mages cast their preset offensive spells, which builds up their CT (Charge Time). Charge Time replaces MP, decreases slowly on its own, and prevents casting spells when above 0. While a mage's CT decreases, they cannot perform any actions, though there are skills that allow exceptions to this. Stringing attacks together produces combos that prevent a target from defending or recovering, yield Magic Crystals and Fire Gems that increase experience and reduce CT, and add to the Hit Gauge. When the Hit Gauge reaches 100% in one turn, a character that participated in the combo that filled the Hit Gauge may perform a special attack ("Purify Weird Soul") that causes great damage and refills the Hit Gauge, possibly allowing another character to use their Purify Weird Soul. Using a Purify Weird Soul causes CT to rise, so characters must wait several turns before they can perform another one. Fighters have unique Purify Weird Souls. Mages use either multi-hit versions of their selected spells or Great Magic, elaborate versions of their selected spells that strike all enemies. Only certain scepters allow the use of Great Magic; human-forged Great Magic-capable scepters have a high chance of breaking with such use, and unbreakable ether-coated ones are extremely rare. Damage is not capped so the party may attack an enemy until they no longer have any available moves rather than being limited to the total HP (health points) of the target. At the beginning of each battle, Lenneth summons her einherjar to combat. As she is needed to keep them materialized, if Lenneth is defeated in combat, she must be revived within three turns or the party will be defeated. Lenneth is also the only character who cannot be voluntarily removed from the party. There is no currency or shopping in "Valkyrie Profile Lenneth". At the beginning of each chapter, Lenneth receives a certain number of materialize points from Freya based on her previous performance. Materialize points can be transmutated into items and equipment and vice versa. Six weapon types are present: Light Sword, Heavy Sword, Katana, Lance, Bow, and Staff, corresponding to the six types of characters: light warrior, heavy warrior, samurai, lancer, archer, and mage. Most characters will only be able to equip their specified type of weapon (though some swords can be used by light and heavy warriors and samurai) and only certain weapons allow them to perform all three of their attacks (or Great Magic in the case of mages). Lenneth is the exception; she can equip both swords and bows and her Purify Weird Soul, Nibelung Valesti, changes accordingly. Some weapons run the risk of breaking with each use. ^.^

5- Overall Rank Title: For me personally, that will be {DIVINE} ^.^ Here's a video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb1BufzyVbg&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb1BufzyVbg&feature=related)

^.^ This is the end of my review thread, thank you so much for reading and feel free to add your posts ^.^

member_10074094
27th Jul 2012, 19:52
the voice acting is terrible... the cgi cutscenes added to the psp version have new voices, and they are alright for as little screen time as they get, but I strongly disagree with your praise for the voice acting for the rest of the game, its terribad... Platina is probably the worst

member_10740464
27th Jul 2012, 21:06
the voice acting is terrible... the cgi cutscenes added to the psp version have new voices, and they are alright for as little screen time as they get, but I strongly disagree with your praise for the voice acting for the rest of the game, its terribad... Platina is probably the worst

My dear friend, Jalian... ^_^

For me personally, voice acting in video games (not in Anime) isn't about the voise in particular, it's about the acting sort of speak ^.^ when I played "Valkyrie Profile Lenneth" on PSone for the very first time, I really enjoyed the voice acting in it ^.^ because most of Square Enix games back then has no voise acting feature in them ^.^ also, I don't count the voice acting of short CG cutscenes or young characters (like Platina), because they're very hard to do ^.^ as long as they clear to hear and easy to understand, they're very good to me in a enjoyble way. ^.^

member_10074094
27th Jul 2012, 21:38
while not all of them where horrible, the vast majority of the game lacks in the quality present in other voice-acted games (most of the actors came from Pokemon), but I can respect that, since it did not really exist back then, the quality is impressive simply because it had voices to begin with. However, I greatly prefer the performances given for the same characters in Valkyrie Profile 2, Lezard in particular.

alextitus
1st Aug 2012, 06:20
Hi everyone, i was wondering (and wishing) could it be possible to see an iOs re-release of Lenneth?

Ety
15th Sep 2012, 05:33
Hi!

I may have got it wrong, but it seems you don't give your own point of view in the Story/Gameplay sections... ?

That's good to have an objective approach though, for those who haven't played the game yet.

Personnally I really enjoyed the gameplay since it was a one-character-one-button system, with a strategic side to hit the enemy with the right weapon at the right time (which is also found in Silmeria).

And Seraphic Gate is just heaven /tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif

The part that I hate was the fact that you had to know who to fight/not to fight/recruit/not to recruit in certain Chapters to get 100% of it.

member_10740464
22nd Sep 2012, 16:11
Hi!

I may have got it wrong, but it seems you don't give your own point of view in the Story/Gameplay sections... ?

That's good to have an objective approach though, for those who haven't played the game yet.

Personnally I really enjoyed the gameplay since it was a one-character-one-button system, with a strategic side to hit the enemy with the right weapon at the right time (which is also found in Silmeria).

And Seraphic Gate is just heaven

The part that I hate was the fact that you had to know who to fight/not to fight/recruit/not to recruit in certain Chapters to get 100% of it.

My dear friend, Ety... ^_^

The answer of your question is yes and no at the same time ^.^

Trying to explain the story of "Valkyrie Profile Lenneth" is a little hard to do ^_^

So I had to take some main points from the booklet that come with the game and added some of my points of my own to it ^_^

As for the gameplay section, I had to play the game for 2-3 hours on my PSP to make a clear explaining to it with the help of the booklet too ^.^

Crow
4th Oct 2012, 00:20
I think Valkyrie profile lenneth is awesome! I descend from Norwegians so I was really interested in the norse mythology behind the game. I haven't had it for very long, I'm only up to chapter 3 but I think it's great! Sure the voice acting is a bit ridiculous (there's Ash Ketchum and Brock and officer Jenny from pokemon and probably more, though I loved pokemon as a kid,) but the gameplay is great (though I wish you could do more in towns rather than just talk to people,). I wish Odin had looked a bit more like Odin from FF8 though and I think Thor's skin is a bit too dark for a Norse God.

WorstBirthdayEver
18th Mar 2013, 14:22
Out of all the jRPGs that I've played, I must say that VP:Lenneth is by far my favorite. Enix should've gone for broke when they released it as VP1.

Ghaleon6270
7th Aug 2015, 02:28
Do you wish that Square-Enix would come out with a new Valkyrie Profile Series on both PS3 & PS4? That would be sweet and i do have ALL of the Valkyrie Profile games, story, graphics and background design and see new character's that were never mentioned in the story of by adding a new secret Valkyrie that was forgotten in the flow of time & never got to be a boss or a secret character only in the Seraphic Gate & you would have all kinds of DLC for it by unleashing the classics of Lenneth, Freya & others as well plus with Alicia, Silmeria, Valkyrie, Lenneth & the others, that would be cool