PDA

View Full Version : PC restarting itself?

Zygmunt I
5th Aug 2007, 01:36
I think maybe my PC had to refresh its settings, but that never happened before. If you run any game for too long/don't turn the computer off for a while either, can your PC actually shut down and restart?

Mike_B
5th Aug 2007, 09:09
It could if the temperature is getting too hot, you might try it with taking the case of and if that doesn't help using (if you have one) an external fan, see what that gives.

Zygmunt I
9th Aug 2007, 22:35
or spyware :mad2:

Tooff
6th Sep 2007, 04:27
Try turn off SFX in game options, no crash

Captain Mazda
6th Sep 2007, 04:46
At this point, it can be any piece of hardware. Overheating or faulty video card (unlikely if you restart while idling), overheating CPU (again unlikely if idling), faulty RAM, blown capacitors on the motherboard, or the most common cause, a faulty power supply unit.

You will need to do the following:

1. Go into your Control Panel.
2. Double-click on System.
3. Click on "Settings" in the "Startup and Recovery" section.
4. Under System Failure, uncheck the "restart automatically" button.
5. In the Write Debugging Information, select Complete Dump.

The next time your PC decides to restart itself, you will see the infamous BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). Either jot down the information, such as the cause of the crash, which can either be a system state or a driver. The first digits of the crash code are important as well. However, after you've rebooted your computer manually, you can do the following:

Click Start -> Run and type in "EventVwr" without the quotes.

Click on the "System" tab and look for any red X marks that indicate a fatal crash. You can paste the information provided. Also, you can find a memory dump indexing tool from Windows' official site. It is a kernel debugger which allows you to fully view the "Complete Dump" from the crash. This is core information that can tell an expert exactly what the crash was caused by.