PDA

View Full Version : Computer Freezes @ Bear Level

vidjak
24th Jul 2007, 09:19
Ok, so i went out to my X's today to try and figure out what's up with their game.. TR-Anv. luckly she had it saved at the part where you engage the bear, where it comes charging down the steps towards you in that hallway, cave whatever. The computer, or game freezes up right when the on screen pop up , or hint appears, telling u how to Lock On to enemy, etc.

here's a screenshot i took right where it freezes, maybe someone can help out here, someone's that's had the same problem... (btw, when is a patch due, or is there one yet?) Screenshot below, and original post below that...
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/6241/tombraideranvlockupru1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Shot at 2007-07-25

NOTE... i tried disabling the pop up hints in options, but to no avail, won't stay disabled, turns back on everytime you exit out of options. thought that might work, thought wrong i guess.

Original Post Below...

not sure what level they're on, but my X's kid says her computer freezes up when she gets to the bear. all they can do is power off, and reboot to get back into windows Vista (Home Basic)

i figured someone here would have an idea what's going on, and could help.

her PC is a new Acer T180 w/Athlon 64 3800+, 2GB RAM, XFX GeForce 8500 GT 256MB PCI-E card (8500GT just installed by me recently, for MY 20 yr old daughter, since she uses it too... it has the latest driver installed, DL'd from NVIDIA.com)

i think this acer has some funky off brand board that may be part of the problem, or maybe resolution too high, something :scratch:

any ideas, help really be appreciated! thanks, rob

btw... game locks up with or without the new VC installed.

vidjak
25th Jul 2007, 11:46
UPDATE - Computer Freezes @ Bear/PopUp Hint...

See new description, screenshot of lockup in above post

UTWarden
25th Jul 2007, 15:53
does she/he have ANY IM programs running? Ive seen Xfire, MSN(WLM), YaHoo, AIM, studder me to death at times.

Shrensh
25th Jul 2007, 17:03
It says in your screenshot "Press <Unknown> to lock onto enemies and perform special maneuvers like Adrenaline Dodge and Head Shot." That seems to say that you don't have Combat Mode Toggle mapped a key, or the game doesn't know that it is mapped (it should be right mouse button by default, if I remember correctly).

Have a look under Options > Controls > Control Configuration and make sure that Combat Mode Toggle has a key mapped to it. The game stops there because it's waiting for you to press the key it specified, so you'll probably need to press whatever the Combat key is to proceed.

vidjak
25th Jul 2007, 23:28
It says in your screenshot "Press <Unknown> to lock onto enemies and perform special maneuvers like Adrenaline Dodge and Head Shot." That seems to say that you don't have Combat Mode Toggle mapped a key, or the game doesn't know that it is mapped (it should be right mouse button by default, if I remember correctly).

Have a look under Options > Controls > Control Configuration and make sure that Combat Mode Toggle has a key mapped to it. The game stops there because it's waiting for you to press the key it specified, so you'll probably need to press whatever the Combat key is to proceed.

hehe, yeah i just noticed that last night after posting the screenshot... i had set up the mouse for em like i play quake, but something got left unassigned it seems. i just called em to tell them they need to set the controls back to default, see if that helps. they're going to let me know. hope all goes well!

thanks for the response, i'll let u know if it works.

vidjak
26th Jul 2007, 00:23
ok, alls well with the lockup issue! just got off the phone with her mom, i walked her through restoring control defaults... and this time it didn't lock up.

she was able to engage the bear with no freezing.

and that's the only problem they've had so far, so maybe they'll be able to play the whole thing without any other issues arising.

i really dig the game myself, i'd get a copy but i've got several new FPS's installed on mine, besides the Quake series that'd i've played for years.

anyway, thanks for the help and responses!! :thumbsup:

Shrensh
26th Jul 2007, 06:04
Excellent :D

It really is a good game, you should give it a try once you're finished with your new games :)