PDA

View Full Version : ABILITIES Sentinel Abduct

Tagexx
21st Nov 2013, 18:27
I'm sure that there is work on adding more abilities, but sentinels abduct should be first to have an alternative. As of now, it is purely pay to win ability, since the only difference from starting ability is more damage. I would like to see choice as in reavers leap attack. Adding a focus marker to kidnap as reaver have (suggested in another thread) and upgrade alternative(slow human's movement speed after drop, etc.) would help new players to get used to it, and allow for different upgrades depending on how you want to use the ability.

hirukaru
21st Nov 2013, 20:04
The ones I spoke about this ability says it feels like the grab is shorter.
But I got the feeling that after the patch you can evade grab attacks a bit easier now. Dunno if this is true

Psyonix_Corey
21st Nov 2013, 20:08
It's not more damage, and it's not pay to win even if it was, as anyone can earn gold to buy the ability.

Kidnap lets you carry players for longer. The higher you drop them from, the more damage they take. Abduct is more consistent damage with less potential damage (from extra high drops).

Tagexx
21st Nov 2013, 20:09
The ones I spoke about this ability says it feels like the grab is shorter.
But I got the feeling that after the patch you can evade grab attacks a bit easier now. Dunno if this is true

Doesn't feel shorter to me, but if it is, it should be stated in the store, to avoid pay to win feel

Tagexx
21st Nov 2013, 20:25
It's not more damage, and it's not pay to win even if it was, as anyone can earn gold to buy the ability.

Kidnap lets you carry players for longer. The higher you drop them from, the more damage they take. Abduct is more consistent damage with less potential damage (from extra high drops).

Thanks for the reply. This should be in the store tool tips, as of now, i does not state any reason why you should not get, besides not having the gold.

hirukaru
21st Nov 2013, 21:24
Doesn't feel shorter to me, but if it is, it should be stated in the store, to avoid pay to win feel

I wonder why you state pay to win.
Almost all items are gold buyable except for boosts?

Psyonix_Corey
21st Nov 2013, 22:08
Found a bug causing the wrong duration to display on these abilities. It'll be fixed in the next build.

Kidnap lasts 3 sec, Abduct 2.25

Tagexx
22nd Nov 2013, 03:25
I wonder why you state pay to win.
Almost all items are gold buyable except for boosts?

I mean pay to win feel, if you are all level 1 at launch, and some rich guy already got all the other abilities. Might get you off the game if you're new.

Strike5150
22nd Nov 2013, 09:15
Hah I knew it, I was argueing with ransom about this. I had the distinct feeling kidnap lasted a lot longer. Seeing the numbers though I would argue it should be a little different maybe.

I actually think I prefer kidnap now over abduct because one of the key things about this ability is that you remove a player from the "teamfight". So perhaps a speed boost after you get the grab. This would make sense because kidnap you are just concentrating on carrying the player and with abduct your punching em in the face. This would help sell the kidnap a little more and differentiate it from abduct.

Zindiq
24th Nov 2013, 15:01
the speed boost would make kidnap very good , I also see kidnap preferd by teams that coordinate since you can carry ppl further to drop them infront of team mates, at the moment abduct is abit to short for this to be really effective

hirukaru
24th Nov 2013, 22:12
the speed boost would make kidnap very good , I also see kidnap preferd by teams that coordinate since you can carry ppl further to drop them infront of team mates, at the moment abduct is abit to short for this to be really effective

Kidnap and Abduct require two different tactics.
If they where both the same time (3s) abduct will be overpowered.

Kidnap can do alot of dmg but abduct can be a nice move in combinatino with other sentinels. (iam a true kidnap guy, but also noticed that abduct can be pretty damn strong)

Razaiim
27th Nov 2013, 19:56
Why not have a variant of kidnap/abduct, where instead of carrying the enemy off, the sentinel flies straight up, and dives with the enemy and slams them in the ground? Kind of a more extreme version of abduct, you only travel up with them, but drop them for higher damage or some other debuff (maybe a move speed cripple or stun).

Psyonix_Corey
28th Nov 2013, 00:32
Why not have a variant of kidnap/abduct, where instead of carrying the enemy off, the sentinel flies straight up, and dives with the enemy and slams them in the ground? Kind of a more extreme version of abduct, you only travel up with them, but drop them for higher damage or some other debuff (maybe a move speed cripple or stun).

In general during development we've found that Sentinel abilities that force him to move in a predictable manner make him incredibly vulnerable to skilled human teams. Because they can recognize what move you're using, it becomes easy to follow your predetermined flight path straight up and shoot you out of the sky.

This doesn't mean your idea couldn't work, just that it risks becoming unusable for high level play, and we factor things like that in when deciding which abilities to prototype and release.

Razaiim
28th Nov 2013, 15:04
In general during development we've found that Sentinel abilities that force him to move in a predictable manner make him incredibly vulnerable to skilled human teams. Because they can recognize what move you're using, it becomes easy to follow your predetermined flight path straight up and shoot you out of the sky.

This doesn't mean your idea couldn't work, just that it risks becoming unusable for high level play, and we factor things like that in when deciding which abilities to prototype and release.

Yeah now that I have a few more games in I can see how that is a problem. I've noticed now that just flying around makes you a big target since you can only move in one direction. Enough lead time with a scout or even hunter can nail you unless you cancel the flight

Strike5150
28th Nov 2013, 21:23
I used blast off for the first time today, wow that is a cool ability. However also a little bit like what your saying above. You can be hit while using it. Its quite predictable.