PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Next Patch Preview

Psyonix_Corey
21st Nov 2013, 05:52
Hi guys, since there's been a lot of demand I thought I would post patch notes for the next update that is currently in QA.

Vampires
- Melee auto-aim angle and range reduced.

Reaver
- Evasion - Damage reduction reduced to 30%, was 50%

Tyrant
- Enrage - Fixed a bug that was causing Tyrants to retain extra speed from Enrage after it ended

Matchmaking
- Enabled “New Recruit” playlist that only allows players Rank 5 and below to queue
- Fixed issue causing parties to not all make it into a lobby when searching together
- Fixed issue where some servers would not be considered for joining if Steam search didn’t return them quickly enough
- Fixed issue that was causing initial matchmaking search to take over 20 seconds

Misc
- Miscellaneous metrics and alpha access fixes

Xaragoth
21st Nov 2013, 06:20
Ohhhhh. Patch Notes! *runs around excited*

Looks interesting thus far. I wonder though how it's gonna be for a lot of the higher ranked ones with the Recruit System up. We are usually early as it gets and only a few level 1s around. Guess our queue's just got a bit longer. Maybe we can actually get our 8 player games going and make proper teams if none of the level 1-5 end up in them. Overall it's a good change, even if we might have to wait 10m instead of 5 for more players.

Evasion change is interesting, though I always felt the problem was with the pure evades of auto-attacks, not abilities. Endure Pain feels a lot fairer from both a Vampire and Human perspective right now.

Psyonix_Corey
21st Nov 2013, 06:24
Guess our queue's just got a bit longer. Maybe we can actually get our 8 player games going and make proper teams if none of the level 1-5 end up in them. Overall it's a good change, even if we might have to wait 10m instead of 5 for more players.

Ideally now you will be more likely to get matched with your handpicked squad of 8 people, especially if you queue as two groups of four in short succession.

Xaragoth
21st Nov 2013, 06:30
Ideally now you will be more likely to get matched with your handpicked squad of 8 people, especially if you queue as two groups of four in short succession.

Ohhhhhhh. OHHHHHHHHHHHH. And no more poor low levels getting us as their enemies. It's a win-win situation up in this patch!

Me likes. If I could, I'd give out extra coffee to the entire team personally! Alas, there's this thing called an ocean in the way. So just imagine you got a coffee, okay? :P

21st Nov 2013, 09:13
Oh thank you, that party thing was bugging me. Keep up the excellent work :thumb:

Magicaltophat
21st Nov 2013, 10:12
I'm happy to see the changes, though I think tweaking the vampire auto-aim will take a bit of fine tuning. Looking forward to playing it. :)

-NightKid-
21st Nov 2013, 14:16
Evasion change is interesting, though I always felt the problem was with the pure evades of auto-attacks, not abilities. Endure Pain feels a lot fairer from both a Vampire and Human perspective right now.

Give this man a cookie.

Tagexx
21st Nov 2013, 18:08

Agreed, but this might just fix it, if humans save their abilities for when he starts running, since they should do enough damage to finish them off now.

Psyonix_Corey
21st Nov 2013, 18:40
The original intent behind Evasion and Ignore Pain was that Evasion would give you immunity against projectiles but as a tradeoff you're still vulnerable to explosions and AOEs, while Ignore Pain was multipurpose but you can be whittled down by focus fire. This also typically means Evasion needs to be used as a getaway and not a tank ability because you can't just stand around in the fight taking blast damage.

During development, player feedback commonly said Evasion wasn't powerful enough - that they'd use their survival cooldown and still get blown to pieces by an Alchemist bomb, making it feel ineffective. However now that it's in the wild it seems like it's a bit too strong. I'm hesitant to reduce the projectile dodge chance to something <100% because then you're rolling the dice on it doing nothing for you (which feels really bad for the player). Our ability design in general is focused towards consistent, predictable effects which is why you don't see things like Critical Hits, etc.

Xaragoth
21st Nov 2013, 18:46
Well, it's gonna be trial and error I feel.

You did a good job with the new auto-aim, everyone is happy with how it is now.

Tagexx
21st Nov 2013, 18:55
The original intent behind Evasion and Ignore Pain was that Evasion would give you immunity against projectiles but as a tradeoff you're still vulnerable to explosions and AOEs, while Ignore Pain was multipurpose but you can be whittled down by focus fire. This also typically means Evasion needs to be used as a getaway and not a tank ability because you can't just stand around in the fight taking blast damage.

During development, player feedback commonly said Evasion wasn't powerful enough - that they'd use their survival cooldown and still get blown to pieces by an Alchemist bomb, making it feel ineffective. However now that it's in the wild it seems like it's a bit too strong. I'm hesitant to reduce the projectile dodge chance to something <100% because then you're rolling the dice on it doing nothing for you (which feels really bad for the player). Our ability design in general is focused towards consistent, predictable effects which is why you don't see things like Critical Hits, etc.

I like to see that you're not including dice-roll mechanics. Lowering the damage reduction should be enough for now. The problem is that reavers can just jump in, fight until 100 health, and than just hit evasion and escape.

Also, I seem to have trouble hitting them with flamethrower during evasion. Don't know if intended, bug, or I didn't grasp it's mechanics just yet.

Psyonix_Corey
21st Nov 2013, 19:59
Also, I seem to have trouble hitting them with flamethrower during evasion. Don't know if intended, bug, or I didn't grasp it's mechanics just yet.

We should probably change it. Technically Flamethrower uses projectiles for hit detection so Evasion makes you dodge it :)

Tagexx
21st Nov 2013, 20:05
We should probably change it. Technically Flamethrower uses projectiles for hit detection so Evasion makes you dodge it :)

Yea, you should, no offense, but it makes no sense :)

Xaragoth
21st Nov 2013, 22:13

You just put the image of a Flamethrower Minigun in my head. I want that now. Make it. Give it to meeeeeeeee :D

Psyonix_Corey
21st Nov 2013, 22:42
I was wrong, Flamethrower already bypasses Evasion.

WNxArcticwolf
21st Nov 2013, 22:48
no patch notes about the launcher crash(.

Tagexx
22nd Nov 2013, 06:55
I was wrong, Flamethrower already bypasses Evasion.

Thanks, it's probably just the fact that they run away as fast as they can the moment they use it.

Might be the range seems longer that it actually is, will look at that next time I play

hirukaru
22nd Nov 2013, 12:56
I like to see that you're not including dice-roll mechanics. Lowering the damage reduction should be enough for now. The problem is that reavers can just jump in, fight until 100 health, and than just hit evasion and escape.

at 100 health.
Lol I just nade them (400 dmg).

It is mostly Leap in, and evade.
(but if team is smart and there is only 1 reaver they attack that reaver and he is dead anyway.

But still the new patch is nice.

and Corey and Mark are to good as scouts.
But still I love to kill them (In game ofcourse)
Or work together with them or just move mark around the map while he is looking at his Skin. :naughty::wave:

Germaximus
23rd Nov 2013, 03:33
Melee range reduced for vampires? Aye Carumba!

Syst3mzero
23rd Nov 2013, 22:06
Melee range reduced for vampires? Aye Carumba!

Sorry, can't spot anywhere in the thread that it said damage was reduced, I can see that auto aim and range is reduced but not damage. Have I missed it somewhere? (edit: oops, misread myself! DOH)

Hi guys, since there's been a lot of demand I thought I would post patch notes for the next update that is currently in QA.

Vampires
- Melee auto-aim angle and range reduced.

I did notice a big difference in vampires, they are back to being quite weak. problem is humans can now run from you too effectively, its like we have gone back to the backwards run and roll issue. vampires should have a physical edge, they are meant to be physically superior yet they run the exact same speed as a human and the human never tires? the human is wearing weighty armor? the previous range of melee attacks was more realistic but I believe a happy medium could be found. the auto aim is a big improvement however.

No offence as I really don't want to tell you how to do your jobs, heck I couldn't do what you do and I have a lot of respect, however when you are balancing you would get better results if you change less variables per balance. If you want to change range and auto aim it should have been over 3 days, day 1 implement auto aim changes, day 2 revert auto aim changes and implement range changes, day 3 change both, changing both at once without changing each individually as well doesn't give you the clearest view of what each has changed game play wise. This is just basic scientific data gathering principals.

On another note I was in a game where it said under rank 5 to the left of the lobby below the pic (yeah didn't think to screen shot it, DOH) and only 1 player in the game as under rank 5, almost all were over rank 10, there was a rank 20 in there. that was the first time I noticed it, people kept pointing it out all night that over rank 5 players were in games that said they were for under rank 5s, kinda assumed it was something that was in the works not actually meant to be working.

Xaragoth
24th Nov 2013, 19:50
Sorry, can't spot anywhere in the thread that it said damage was reduced, I can see that auto aim and range is reduced but not damage. Have I missed it somewhere?

Read it again.

Vampires are now balanced in high-level play and fine for public play. Tweaking upward a tiny bit maybe, but otherwise they are good to go. Also most of this is tested by the internal QA before it goes out to us.

Syst3mzero
24th Nov 2013, 21:45
Read it again.

Vampires are now balanced in high-level play and fine for public play. Tweaking upward a tiny bit maybe, but otherwise they are good to go. Also most of this is tested by the internal QA before it goes out to us.

Good point lol, I misread, was a bit over tired.

Was playing high lvl games on Friday and vampires melee was obviously nerfed, yes it needed it all I'm saying is I feel it was overly nerfed, would have been better to have a large scale test of an auto aim correction then a range correction then both together.
the reason people run alphas is to get broader feedback than just QA testers alone.
What I suggested was just the most basic scientific principal when it comes to gathering reliable results.
I felt the auto aim was an improvement but the range caused a problem, I could only feel that not know that as I had not tested each individually as both were changed simultaneously.
I felt (yet again couldn't say for definite) that whenever chasing a human it felt when I attacked I lost ground as it felt like the attack decreased the move speed possibly? the only way to catch up as a reaver was to wait for leap to cool down and make another leap.