PDA

View Full Version : The legless blob boss, final battle I think.

tinknocker68
13th Jul 2007, 01:12
How do you beat that thing? I've been doin adrenaline dodges and blastin away at that thing and nothing happens. help!

LisaB1962
13th Jul 2007, 01:22
Unfortunately, CD never seems to be able to just write a straightforward fight. There's always some gimmick.

Spoiler: Use the dodge around the edges with walls. The creature's hand will eventually get stuck. Shoot it off. Then adrenaline dodge near the edge with the drop. He'll fall off and hang on with one hand. Shoot off the other hand.

tinknocker68
13th Jul 2007, 01:27
Thank you, gonna give it a whirl,...again LOL

Qbert
13th Jul 2007, 01:37
Unfortunately, CD never seems to be able to just write a straightforward fight. There's always some gimmick.

Does anyone remember the Vampire bosses in Soul Reaver? Yep, it's a pattern/gimmick affair... we sure as heck ain't getting away from that anytime soon.

boots
13th Jul 2007, 01:53
That thing was annoying. Not difficult, just annoying. 9 out of 10 times I could never position myself on the ledge the right way, so even though I managed to pull off a couple dozen adrenaline dodges, I still had to fight for a good ten minutes or so. In fact, I had the same problem with the t-rex. :scratch: I could never get into the right position in time!

The fact that firing the weapons is all manual meant I also had to keep pausing because my finger started hurting very quickly, which just threw me off. They didn't really design the boss fights all that well, IMO (the centaurs I actually liked, though. Go figure!)

/whine :D

Make sure you are shooting at the right target, too. The window of opportunity is rather limited in each case, so be careful. I believe the intended target is generally smaller than the normal one. I made that mistake a few times.

Qbert
13th Jul 2007, 01:57
I have to ask this, was there another way of actually beating ol' stumpy rather then sending him to his fire-bath? He's got all this life left and it always feels like I'm taking the easy route.

Discordia666
13th Jul 2007, 05:25

So you'd prefer to just blast away at something for hours until you finally manage to stay alive long enough to kill it, like we did in the old days?

How many games did I play in which I just gave up in boredom on the final boss because I knew it was the end anyway. There was no point in subjecting myself to that tedium when all that was gonna happen when I finally killed it was.....nothing.

No, I definitely prefer the approach most game developers have adopted of giving you a clever way to kill bosses instead. From a realism angle (!!!), you could never kill something like that with a gun anyway. Imagine trying to kill a T-Rex with a pair of 9mm pistols. You'd just make it mad. OMG - that's just what happens in Anniversary.

boots
13th Jul 2007, 05:51
So you'd prefer to just blast away at something for hours until you finally manage to stay alive long enough to kill it, like we did in the old days?

The problem with the boss fights in TRA (I can't speak for other CD games) is that they require you to master a rather difficult move in order to "solve" the puzzle of beating the boss. Many people resent having to learn a special and, dare I say, cliche combat move in order to advance through the game, especially one with limited practice opportunity. If you can't do it, you cannot progress. Period. That is unless you use someone else's save game, but not every player has that luxury, and they obviously didn't design the game with the intention of wanting players to do that.

I actually thought it was very clever to make the boss fights into puzzles that way, although I have nothing against shooting the darn thing until it's dead. The key word seems to be "require", though. If you have the option to do EITHER, or perhaps even just multiple puzzle solutions (hey - even more realistic!), we would have a lot more happy players.

The_Hylden
13th Jul 2007, 07:44
***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

Nah, there's nothing that difficult about it. Except! That switching targets doesn't happen really, unless you do this ... manipulate the camera down to where she *has* to target the hand and not the big monster itself. It's the same on another boss, won't say where or how:p

Trying to dodge the thing and get it to fall off of the ledge was tricky at first, but then you notice that it won't unless you are almost perpendicularly lined up with the edge, or at least have enough room to A. have ledge on the left and right behind you, not a corner, I mean, and B., the monster will need to rush you to get to you, instead of moving slightly forward.

That wasn't too hard, but I did curse it about it *needing* me to *force* her to change targets to what she should *be* already targeting with an *auto target* system. However, it can be overcome, so anyway.

No, don't think there's another way to beat it, Qbert. Would kind of defeat the purpose of *needing* to do all of that if you could, eh?

Yes, it's in the same line of thinking as Soul Reaver to the end that it's a puzzle, which makes sense given that Lara probably wouldn't be able to beat that, or most any other monster, on her own. She, being a mortal human with only regular guns at her disposal, needs to find a lucky shot that delivers her from this fight. Otherwise, realistically, she should die, if not for the added circumstances. However, it differs in Soul Reaver's boss fights in the fact you need to fight more directly *and* find the means by which to narrowly escape. Raziel seemed more calmly able to calculate their ends, if that makes sense. It's far more frenzied, I guess is my point.

Reminds me a lot of the boss battles of Metroid Prime and its sequel for Gamecube. With the protagonist in third person perspective as the only major difference.

LisaB1962
13th Jul 2007, 16:48

Yes and no.

I mean, because of the way CD has designed the game, you can blast at things for hours because you have to use a gimmick to do any damage. The T-rex is an exception I think, but even then the damage done is programmed to be so minuscule of course you have to blast away forever.

It's just as frustrating to try and figure out what the gimmick is to beat a boss. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me they figured out how to beat Natla's creature without asking someone. That was just unreal. :confused:

I don't mind shooting things until they're dead, and it was fun in the older Tomb Raiders. Lara was much more athletic and evasive on her feet, and the camera gave you a fair view of the "playing field" so you could be properly evasive. Fighting toe-to-toe in the new games is a rather hit and miss affair. Her moves just aren't very useful in melee combat, and the camera gives you a useful view of anything not useful. :D

I suppose I'd rather have a mix somewhere. Part of the fun of Tomb Raider is solving the problem, but the boss fights always have one solution that's not always intuitive, and it often forces you to fight the glitchy stuff (final grapple on sea monster in Legend, anyone?)

Shaidester
13th Jul 2007, 16:55
You start of the level in near the ledge, so go ahead and take out your uzis/shotgun and start shooting from either side, left or right of where you started the level (near the wall). When he gets enraged, shoot him at the right time when it goes into slow-motion and he should get his hand stuck. Shoot and keep shooting until part of his arm comes off. Now then, go to where you started the level off and shoot around there. When he gets enraged, shoot him at the right time and jump away from him. He should now fall down and be holding the ledge. Keep shooting at his hand until he loses his grasp. There you go, you just defeated the Torso Boss!

tinknocker68
15th Jul 2007, 11:18
Well,...I was unable to defeat that thing, got ticked off a bit, so I deleted all my saves and restarted the entire game over again. As a matter of fact I was unable to defeat any of the boss' other than T-rex. The only way I killed him was by finding the spot where he can't see ya (so to speak) and blastin em with my pistols for an hour LOL. I'm gonna go buy the players guide so I can find everything. I used Demarest save files just to be able to proceed. Rather weak of me but I know how to do the controls rather well now. So maybe now I'll be able to beat em all!:lol:

TouchOfPink
15th Jul 2007, 11:30
I actually found this boss battle quite easy once I figured out what to do. I thought it was more simple than the centaur boss battle in Greece :)