PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Pc players and their controls

Swatcat
12th Jul 2007, 17:37
I'm really curious what TRA players do with the controls
right after installing the game =)

Lectrician
12th Jul 2007, 17:42
I use a 360 controller and the game pretty much sets it up perfectly except for the combat mode I may have switched to a different setting.

Jezyk
12th Jul 2007, 17:47
I've only changed the grapple to be as R insteadt of Q, it's more convenient and it also pissed me off when I wanted to grapple but opened the backpack (Tab)

RaiderGirl#1
12th Jul 2007, 21:37
I made the roll key different. Since I'm having a hard time getting used to not using the arrow keys.

Qbert
13th Jul 2007, 01:34
When I get started on something, I basically plug in my pad to see how well the analog is supported. Then I check to see if I can share the mouse control while joystick is enabled. Afterwards I set the kb aside as I have the pad in my left hand and a mouse in my right.

ASWD is not something I'm too friendly with.

Demarest
13th Jul 2007, 01:45
I use keyboard and mouse because it's superior to any controller, I already have them, and they work with every other game I play. As for the controls themselves, I configure them to my liking. EVERYBODY should. Video games no longer have a D Pad and a couple buttons. I don't remember the last game I played that didn't have a dozen functions. People should play with what's comfy for them.

Lectrician
13th Jul 2007, 05:02
I find Gamepads superior for this actually...360 controller to be precise.

Psyclone
13th Jul 2007, 06:46
I use a mouse and special keyboard called Ergodex. I've been using this thing for all my games for about a year now.
This thing is EFFing awsome. Infinite ways to customize.

Here's the link to site: http://www.ergodex.com/mainpage.htm

weirdo
13th Jul 2007, 07:20
Playing TRA with Logitech Cordless Rumblepad2 and lovin' it. TRL too. Did some changes to the default control config.

tiger
13th Jul 2007, 08:16
(PC version using the keyboard and mouse)
I basically re-assigned several of the original TRA keys to some much more logical key-name values. And then I programmed most of my numeric key-pad (num pad) keys to do multiple TRA-actions using only one key, with AutoHotKey.

But if we had a good set of TRA Console Commands, with something like a User.ini for their usage, then this reply would have a link to a very small file for sharing all of my TRA key-tricks with you.

(Like Good Morning, CD!)
It's a new century and these are very old tricks ala QUAKE (1), btw. :cool:

Qbert
13th Jul 2007, 19:13
I think for some of you keyboard players you might find something like this helpful.

http://www.wolf-claw.com/eboutique/product_files/product_2/pic_kb_type2_600.jpg

Demarest
13th Jul 2007, 20:28
To each his own, but when I see that, I want to vomit. I was formally educated in typing, been a programmer for longer than some of the visitors here have been alive and when my fingers are on home row, I KNOW where all the other keys are. Anybody that would actually pay money for that monstrosity probably SHOULD look into a controller instead.

Lectrician
13th Jul 2007, 20:42
If I still played FPS games a lot I would buy that keyboard in a heartbeat. Thanks for posting that pic.

Zimlow
13th Jul 2007, 23:04
I played all Tombraider games with the keyboard and keyboard only. :cool: Until Anniversary. The thing they do with the camera view angles makes it impossible for me to make the timed runs. And since you can not control the camera angle with the keyboard and I don't wanna use a mouse I now use a 360 controller!!!

tiger
14th Jul 2007, 00:58
I played all Tombraider games with the keyboard and keyboard only. :cool: Until Anniversary. The thing they do with the camera view angles makes it impossible for me to make the timed runs. And since you can not control the camera angle with the keyboard and I don't wanna use a mouse I now use a 360 controller!!!

Thanks for the info, Zimlow. :thumbsup:
(I have been needing to ask details about controllers, in general, on the PC.)

Does the 360's camera, during a grapple-run, have the same sliding around habit like on our PC's mouse-controlled view? Or does its view remain perfectly locked or a bit like the mouse's camera-view in Combat Mode?

(One of the primary things that I would be going after, with a full set of Console Commands, would be something like using only the camera-view command, from their current Combat Mode, as an optional toggle-key for all of our movement modes. And then, of course, I would be toggling off this new camera-mode, before returning to the same type of camera-control of a Combat Mode key.)

(Sorry about all those details, above.) :(
Over-all, this would mean an optional "TR classic" camera-view mode! :thumbsup:

*** To Lectrician, watch out for newer cordless-keyboards that do not have the standard keyboard cable that is really needed for a lot of popular games, mate.

Psyclone
14th Jul 2007, 03:04
To each his own, but when I see that, I want to vomit. I was formally educated in typing, been a programmer for longer than some of the visitors here have been alive and when my fingers are on home row, I KNOW where all the other keys are. Anybody that would actually pay money for that monstrosity probably SHOULD look into a controller instead.

LOL. So you were formally educated in typing. Bet you weren't programming at all before my time unless you were using punch cards.
What does all that have to do with this keyboard? It's has a QWERTY layout which is the standard with what looks like an extension for gaming purposes.
What your saying has no bearing what-so-ever when typing. When your fingers are on home row you shouldn't be bothered about that extention on the side as you are not actually looking at the keyboard and your fingers won't be anywhere near it.
Not that I would buy this either, but your comment is ludicrous.
BTW I've also been formally educated in typing.

tiger
14th Jul 2007, 05:08
(And weren't those called Hollerith's Punched Cards (http://www.maxmon.com/punch1.htm), Psyclone? And that creative fellow Herman Hollerith seems to be one interesting character. And btw, I even remember patch-panel sorting machines and front-panel programming switches along with 8080, Z80, 6502 and IBM 360 assemblier or machine code, so Peek and Poke that, you all.) :rasp:

Anyway, CD, what's the fuss about giving us, your Console Commands?
(Heck, this is one of those minimum levels of user-modding that all my UnReal-games seem to enjoy. . . And then we can create almost infinite custom-keys for our own personal likes and needs.)

Demarest
14th Jul 2007, 06:28
LOL. So you were formally educated in typing. Bet you weren't programming at all before my time unless you were using punch cards.
What does all that have to do with this keyboard? It's has a QWERTY layout which is the standard with what looks like an extension for gaming purposes.
What your saying has no bearing what-so-ever when typing. When your fingers are on home row you shouldn't be bothered about that extention on the side as you are not actually looking at the keyboard and your fingers won't be anywhere near it.

This is SO awesome that I can't seem to say one word on this forum without somebody taking supreme offense! I don't recall the clause in the rules whereby I'm not able to state my opinions.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/6346/tempbq5.jpg

That's is not a QWERTY setup. Z is not directly below A. K is not to the left of A. Your credentials suggest you know this, so I'm at a loss as to what that was all about. You think people buying that are buying that for the standard keyboard part? :lol:

Psyclone
14th Jul 2007, 07:12
This is SO awesome that I can't seem to say one word on this forum without somebody taking supreme offense! I don't recall the clause in the rules whereby I'm not able to state my opinions.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/6346/tempbq5.jpg

That's is not a QWERTY setup. Z is not directly below A. K is not to the left of A. Your credentials suggest you know this, so I'm at a loss as to what that was all about. You think people buying that are buying that for the standard keyboard part? :lol:

First and foremost I was never offended. Why would I be? I didn't invent the thing and said I never buy one either.
I simply stated that your post made no sense as far as typing was concerned, which seemed to be one of your reasons for not wanting to buy or use this thing.

Re-read what I stated.
It's has a QWERTY layout which is the standard with what looks like an extension for gaming purposes.

If you had read the post correctly you would have noticed I wasn't saying that the game type keypad extension was a QWERTY of course , I said the keyboard itself is a QWERTY keyboard.
Please read the posts carefully before jumping to conclusions.

You think people buying that are buying that for the standard keyboard part?

I never implied that either.:scratch:

Demarest
14th Jul 2007, 07:22
I never implied that either.:scratch:For the record, I DID read your post and I didn't jump to any conslusions. It was clear that my first post on the subject was bemoaning the extension part of it. Your post looked (and honestly, still looks) like you're talking about the regular keyboard part.

I'm sure I could adapt to that monstrosity if I wanted to and I'm sure everybody that buys one does too and is glad that they did. My point was that traditional typing is so ingrained in me at this point that it's easier to map keys to my liking and go from there instead of buying hardware that is hideous and unwieldy for my tastes and applications.

Psyclone
14th Jul 2007, 07:36
(And weren't those called Hollerith's Punched Cards (http://www.maxmon.com/punch1.htm), Psyclone? And that creative fellow Herman Hollerith seems to be one interesting character. And btw, I even remember patch-panel sorting machines and front-panel programming switches along with 8080, Z80, 6502 and IBM 360 assemblier or machine code, so Peek and Poke that, you all.) :rasp:

Anyway, CD, what's the fuss about giving us, your Console Commands?
(Heck, this is one of those minimum levels of user-modding that all my UnReal-games seem to enjoy. . . And then we can create almost infinite custom-keys for our own personal likes and needs.)

Yep. UNIVAC and IBM cards too. I'm not that old though. These were basically all but phased out.
I remember punch cards being used in my elementary school though.
My high school was using Apple IIe's for computer classes. I did own a TRS-80 back in the day.

Demarest
14th Jul 2007, 07:51
My high scholl was using Apple IIe's for computer classes. I did own a TRS-80 back in the day.

I remember using IIe's in junior high. I once owned a Color Comupter 3, the TRS-80's second successor. Even had the 5.25 floppy disk drive for it. I had to build the RS-232 cable myself to hook up my 150 baud pair of accoustical cups. Before that, it was the Commodore Vic 20. For that I had a 128 KILObyte RAM expansion cartridge about the size of a Nintendo DS. I remember having to type in a couple dozen peeks and pokes just to make the thing beep. It had an audio cassette drive :lol:

Sorry for the off-topic. I didn't want you two to be the only ones having all the memory lane fun ;)

Psyclone
14th Jul 2007, 08:09
For the record, I DID read your post and I didn't jump to any conslusions. It was clear that my first post on the subject was bemoaning the extension part of it. Your post looked (and honestly, still looks) like you're talking about the regular keyboard part.

I'm sure I could adapt to that monstrosity if I wanted to and I'm sure everybody that buys one does too and is glad that they did. My point was that traditional typing is so ingrained in me at this point that it's easier to map keys to my liking and go from there instead of buying hardware that is hideous and unwieldy for my tastes and applications.

Duly noted.
When you said your fingers "on home row" and stated that you were taught typing skills, I naturally thought you meant in a typing posture like A S D F - J K L ; and not just resting on the WASD keys for gameplay.
Your fingers are out of place and not in a typing posture when using the WASD keys for gaming anyway. If so, I guess you use your pinky finger for the TAB,Q,A,Z,SHIFT and CTRL keys while playing a game. That's some great finger control if you do.
Yes, I know that the pad in question doesn't have the keys postioned in the same manner but it's not that big of a change. Obviously somebody thought of a better way to squish the keys together for ease of use.
So typing skills for gaming are null and void.
Naturally you don't need typing skills to use a gamepad either.
So why would you throw in the fact that you were formally taught typing and a programmer? Both have absolutely nothing to do with using a keyboard or gamepad to play a game.

Captain Mazda
14th Jul 2007, 09:32
I adjusted them to perfection when I began playing the Legend demo. It pretty much prepared me for the full game.

I only changed controls for walking, sneaking (Anniversary), grabbing (Anniversary), rolling, jumping, and shooting.

Movement and interactive controls: Default
Grab: Spacebar
Walk: Left Shift
Sneak: Control
Switch weapons: Mousewheel and X

Shoot: Left mouse
Roll: Middle mouse
Jump: Right mouse

Gives me the fastest and smoothest gameplay and feels great as I'm an experienced FPS gamer.

Also, my targeting system is Advanced Toggle obviously.

CatSuit&Ponytail
14th Jul 2007, 09:37
No more bickering. I don't want to spend all day sifting through arguing. So everyone just stop replying to another person if they have annoyed you. I mean it. ****

Now....

:nut: Darn. I wish I had taken the time to configure my Nostromo for the new TRs. I guess I will do that next time. I love my Nostromo and trackball combo a lot for the comfort of leaning back and having my hands always in a relaxed position. Also I bet my shift key wouldn't be the trouble it is if I used my gamer tools instead. Oooo add to that my 3D glasses and I'll be like a jacked in cyberjunkie from those cyberpunk novels again. :D

http://www.dansdata.com/images/nostromo/pad440.jpghttp://www.smartcomputing.com/images/smartcomputing/fullsize/00294040.jpg

Captain Mazda
14th Jul 2007, 09:38

Actually Demarest has a point. Experience in touch typing allows me to bind a certain key to an action and use the button without ever having to look. Using an ugly keyboard and an even worse interface such as the one you posted would require you to basically "re-learn" the new layout.
And really, if one has to rely on faster button presses rather than skill, they shouldn't be so serious about games in the first place to go and waste money on the by-product of a forest creature and a developer.

tiger
14th Jul 2007, 11:00
(Well, here is something that is sort of close to being On Topic.) ;)

With AutoHotKey, which routes the key-strokes through a PC's Window system, pretty nicely, I was able to easily create a much faster auto firing-key, by simply assigning it to a standard PC-keyboard key.

Then I did the same trick for an amusing jumping-key, a special Swan Diving key, two grappling-keys for forwards and backwards, and then I created a funny little wiggle-key for Lara breaking away from a creature's "nasty hold". ("... and then a partridge in a pear tree..." ) :whistle:

Sorry about that. . . :D
And then one classy TR rolling-spin-turn key with cam-fixes, even! :thumbsup:

And in fact, CD, all of my special AHK stunt-keys on my numeric keypad, including four AD rolling-keys and two special grapple-jumping keys for left and right, do the very same "repeating key" thing. . . Curious? :scratch:

So maybe CD needs to look into keyboard-buffering on their PC version? :cool:

Demarest
14th Jul 2007, 14:03
When you said your fingers "on home row" and stated that you were taught typing skills, I naturally thought you meant in a typing posture like A S D FCorrect. Understanding this, I'm not sure why you went on to say...

Your fingers are out of place and not in a typing posture when using the WASD keys for gaming anyway.Since the two statements contradict one another.

If so, I guess you use your pinky finger for the TAB,Q,A,Z,SHIFT and CTRL keys while playing a game. That's some great finger control if you do.
So why would you throw in the fact that you were formally taught typing and a programmer? Both have absolutely nothing to do with using a keyboard or gamepad to play a game.
My point was that traditional typing is so ingrained in me at this point that it's easier to map keys to my liking and go from there instead of buying hardware that is hideous and unwieldy for my tastes and applications.

I thought I made it perfectly clear why I mentioned my typing credentials. And it seems as if you both understand and do not understand. I'm not sure how that's even possible.

No more bickering. I don't want to spend all day sifting through arguing. So everyone just stop replying to another person if they have annoyed you. I mean it. ****

I think you're thinking of that "other thread." This thread just has people with differences of opinion, which happens on a forum populated by different people. It's in the other thread that people kept jumping in when they could've just stopped posting instead of acting upon their frustration with another member. I know I was actually being harrassed both on the forums and by PM despite asking the person to just leave me alone. So I used the forum's ignore feature and haven't received a PM and are not the least bit distracted by the garbage they were posting. :)

CatSuit&Ponytail
14th Jul 2007, 15:59
(Well, here is something that is sort of close to being On Topic.) ;)

With AutoHotKey, which routes the key-strokes through a PC's Window system, pretty nicely, I was able to easily create a much faster auto firing-key, by simply assigning it to a standard PC-keyboard key.

Then I did the same trick for an amusing jumping-key, a special Swan Diving key, two grappling-keys for forwards and backwards, and then I created a funny little wiggle-key for Lara breaking away from a creature's "nasty hold". ("... and then a partridge in a pear tree..." ) :whistle:

Sorry about that. . . :D
And then one classy TR rolling-spin-turn key with cam-fixes, even! :thumbsup:

And in fact, CD, all of my special AHK stunt-keys on my numeric keypad, including four AD rolling-keys and two special grapple-jumping keys for left and right, do the very same "repeating key" thing. . . Curious? :scratch:

So maybe CD needs to look into keyboard-buffering on their PC version? :cool:

Is that "AutoHotKey," that thing that keeps popping up at me when I hold the shift down too long?

Demarest, I placed my warning here, but it if for the whole forum, as a reminder. :) I can see things start to spiral, and having just had a "clean up on aisle 4", well....

Nobody liked my Nostromo? :o

Towel
14th Jul 2007, 16:51
Is that "AutoHotKey," that thing that keeps popping up at me when I hold the shift down too long?

I Also Get that on my labtop but mine's called StickyKey, When i press Shift 5 times In a Row.

Qbert
14th Jul 2007, 18:10

I remember seeing that a few times and almost considered it, but I'm much more of a fan for analog control and button style that doesn't resemble a KB. Hopefully they'll make a new model that will support this at some point.

tiger
14th Jul 2007, 20:06

Demarest, I placed my warning here, but it if for the whole forum, as a reminder. :) I can see things start to spiral, and having just had a "clean up on aisle 4", well....

Yep, CatSuit, that's a fairly old and basic Window's version of AutoHotKey. (And its settings are under Control Panel - Accessibility Options.) But un-like creating custom User.ini command files for a game, AHK is a language on its own, as a totally seperate task.

And I gotta admit your "Nostromo and Logitech trackball" combo looks like a SWEET little VR setup, mate! :thumbsup: (So can you program one of those keys to do a simple forwards or backwards run-and-jump with a grapple-throw?) :cool:

Heck, with AHK, I can mill it down to 1/1000 of a second with deciding when I want the Jump to end and then the Throw to begin. (But I had to include a fake or a "game priming" grapple-throw to actually WAKE-UP that snoozing TRA routine, during the JUMP.)

Man oh man, this is such a lazy and sleepy little PC interface, folks. :lol:
(And only Japanese Hentai games can top, this lack of testing.) :o

Psyclone
15th Jul 2007, 05:14
Originally Posted by Psyclone
When you said your fingers "on home row" and stated that you were taught typing skills, I naturally thought you meant in a typing posture like A S D F - J K L ;
Correct. Understanding this, I'm not sure why you went on to say...

Originally Posted by Psyclone
Your fingers are out of place and not in a typing posture when using the WASD keys for gaming anyway.

Since the two statements contradict one another.

I thought I made it perfectly clear why I mentioned my typing credentials. And it seems as if you both understand and do not understand. I'm not sure how that's even possible.

Oi!
Those two sentences don't contradict one another as I'm talking about the difference between a typing posture ( A S D F - J K L ; ) in one sentence and the posture of the fingers for gaming (W A S D) in the other.
This is the point I was getting at. Two totally seperate things.

I understand you are used to where the keys are because of your typing skills with buttons being off center which is your main concern and comfort. That's the agreement. Whatever is most comforatable to you.

BUT, while playing a game your fingers ARE NOT on 'home row' as you stated. That's the disagreement.

Obviously that statement doesn't apply to a gamepad or keyboard while playing a game. That was the confusion in which portion of that keyboard you were talking about and whether you were talking about gaming or typing.

Nuff said about this.

Psyclone
15th Jul 2007, 05:26
Actually Demarest has a point. Experience in touch typing allows me to bind a certain key to an action and use the button without ever having to look. Using an ugly keyboard and an even worse interface such as the one you posted would require you to basically "re-learn" the new layout.
And really, if one has to rely on faster button presses rather than skill, they shouldn't be so serious about games in the first place to go and waste money on the by-product of a forest creature and a developer.

I don't think you really looked at that site deep enough.
Using the Ergodex you can put the individual keys ANYWHERE on that plastic board. Up to 50 keys. The is no relearning whatsoever as you can place the individual keys on the plastic anyway you like. Hell you could go as far as placing them on there in a traditional keyboard layout if you wanted.
I used to use the keypad portion of my keyboard for gaming instead of the WASD key setup. 8,4,5,6. I never liked using the keyboard portion for gaming. It was never meant for it anyway.

When I got this thing I just placed the keys in the same way as my keypad formation with more keys of course. Zero learning curve. I was in the game and playing much better after because I no longer had to stretch some of my fingers to hit certain keys like on the keypad I was using.

It's not about faster button pressing over skill either, it's about what's easier on my fingers as well as having easier control over my game which is what everybody wants. Lack of skill has nothing to do with it. I was already good at the games I play most, now I can play longer without worrying about arthritis or carpal tunnel so much.:D

Demarest
15th Jul 2007, 05:31
BUT, while playing a game your fingers ARE NOT on 'home row' as you stated. That's the disagreement.And here I thought we were having a pleasant conversation. I don't know where you come off telling me how I play my own games. They ARE on home row, as I've said MANY times now.

Those two sentences don't contradict one another as I'm talking about the difference between a typing posture ( A S D F - J K L ; ) in one sentence and the posture of the fingers for gaming (W A S D) in the other.
This is the point I was getting at. Two totally seperate things. No, they're identical. Notice how ASD appears both in home row and WASD? Are you trying to tell me you've got a finger on each of WASD? You'd have to have a broken hand to manage. No, as I've stated many times now: home row/proper typing. W is part of standard controls and I use my ring finger to push it as is proper typing. Where is the confusion coming in?

Psyclone
15th Jul 2007, 06:01
I never told you how to play your games. Where that's coming from is a mystery. I don't know and couldn't care less.:lol:

Duly noted.
When you said your fingers "on home row" and stated that you were taught typing skills, I naturally thought you meant in a typing posture like A S D F - J K L ; and not just resting on the WASD keys for gameplay.
Your fingers are out of place and not in a typing posture when using the WASD keys for gaming anyway. If so, I guess you use your pinky finger for the TAB,Q,A,Z,SHIFT and CTRL keys while playing a game. That's some great finger control if you do.

Posted the above earlier but you never commented on it so.....

Most if not all people that use the WASD keys play with their ring finger on A, middle for W and S and index on D and pinky for SHIFT, CTRL and TAB.
Are you saying that you play your games with your pinky finger using the TAB,Q,A,Z,SHIFT and CTRL keys and your ring for W and S, middle on D and index on F? I've never heard of that.
If so then your left hand is on home row and that's some damn fine pinky conrtol for gaming.
Personally I hardly ever use my pinky for gaming. It the most feeble and week of all the fingers.

Demarest
15th Jul 2007, 15:28
I never told you how to play your games. Where that's coming from is a mystery.I didn't you said how TO play; You were telling me how I DO play here (which was quoted above when I asked the question, so there shouldn't be any issue following along)
while playing a game your fingers ARE NOT on 'home row' as you stated.

Posted the above earlier but you never commented on it so.....Never commented? I quoted the first sentence here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=677545&postcount=28).

Most if not all people that use the WASD keys play with their ring finger on A, middle for W and S and index on D and pinky for SHIFT, CTRL and TAB. I didn't realize we were talking about most people. I thought I was talking about myself.

Are you saying that you play your games with your pinky finger using the TAB,Q,A,Z,SHIFT and CTRL keys and your ring for W and S, middle on D and index on F? I've never heard of that.Forst of all, saying? No. Have said. Many times now. Which means you HAVE heard of it...
I was formally educated in typing, been a programmer for longer than some of the visitors here have been alive and when my fingers are on home row, I KNOW where all the other keys are.
My point was that traditional typing is so ingrained in me at this point that it's easier to map keys to my liking and go from there instead of buying hardware that is hideous and unwieldy for my tastes and applications.
They ARE on home row, as I've said MANY times now.
No, as I've stated many times now: home row/proper typing. W is part of standard controls and I use my ring finger to push it as is proper typing.

Secondly, no, I don't use my pinky to press all those buttons. Off the top of my head, I play three games that OCCASSIONALLY use Shift and Shift Lock. Otherwise, it's WASD with possible use of Q, E, Z, X, and C while my index finger is on F (insert superfluous, but apparently necessary reference to that's how home row dictates here) with R, T, G, V, and B and it's disposal.

If so then your left hand is on home rowWhat do you mean IF so? I've said said many times now.

This reminds me of a fight a guy started with me on another forum. He knew what the word translucent meant, so when I said it, he should've known what I was saying. Just as here, you know what home row means, so when I say it, there shouldn't be any confusion. In his case, he couldn't see in the accompanying picture how it was translucent, so he was convinced I was misspeaking. Here, you've never heard of this before, so [b]YOU ASSUMED[/b[ I was misspeaking. What I don't get is that my WHOLE POINT IN THE BEGINNING was being used to my hand and keys having a specific relationship, and you didn't even derive from that that I wouldn't shift my hand even for WASD.

TR4ever
15th Jul 2007, 15:44
Forst??:confused:

*First;)

Ironic isn´t it??

Psyclone
15th Jul 2007, 17:19
Geez. I guess some people are very touchy. Why don't you learn to not take things so personally.
You basically dissect and misquote as you did again.

Duly noted.

You never commented on this one as it would have cleared things up as to what you were talking about. You say you did but you didn't. Go back and look at the orgiinal post.
Yes, I use the keys that way or no, I don't use the keys that way. That's it. Instead I get a flippant answer to multilpe statements. Not everybody here knows what certain terms are like 'home row'.

I wasn't putting you down or anything but simply asking you a question that I never got a direct answer to. Of course you will say you did but obviously you were very vague much like a politician answers his questions.

Maybe the problem you have with me and others is that you pop off about something and don't explain yourself in the greatest of terms, getting all defensive when questioned.
While it may not seem like it to you, you were basically putting down that guys post with the picture. Instead of just coming on this page and posting what controls you use, you had to bash another persons.:whistle:

Psyclone
15th Jul 2007, 17:31
Forst??:confused:

*First;)

Ironic isn´t it??

I don't recall dropping my 'poke stick' but you can have it now.:)

TR4ever
15th Jul 2007, 18:30
I don't recall dropping my 'poke stick' but you can have it now.:)

Humm, ok but i was just being a nice citizen helping others to learn how to spell:D :D
Taste the irony.

TR4ever
15th Jul 2007, 19:31
Geez. I guess some people are very touchy. Why don't you learn to not take things so personally.
You basically dissect and misquote as you did again.

You never commented on this one as it would have cleared things up as to what you were talking about. You say you did but you didn't. Go back and look at the orgiinal post.
Yes, I use the keys that way or no, I don't use the keys that way. That's it. Instead I get a flippant answer to multilpe statements. Not everybody here knows what certain terms are like 'home row'.

I wasn't putting you down or anything but simply asking you a question that I never got a direct answer to. Of course you will say you did but obviously you were very vague much like a politician answers his questions.

Maybe the problem you have with me and others is that you pop off about something and don't explain yourself in the greatest of terms, getting all defensive when questioned.
While it may not seem like it to you, you were basically putting down that guys post with the picture. Instead of just coming on this page and posting what controls you use, you had to bash another persons.:whistle:

He´s a little bossy too, but that is another story, going back on topic, pc games to me only if its a flight simulation and i use joystick with HOTAS ( Hands On Throttle and Stick) system.

Psyclone
15th Jul 2007, 19:51
Humm, ok but i was just being a nice citizen helping others to learn how to spell:D :D
Taste the irony.

My bad.:cool:

TR4ever
15th Jul 2007, 20:01
My bad.:cool:

Not at all

Psyclone
15th Jul 2007, 20:07
He´s a little bossy too, but that is another story, going back on topic, pc games to me only if its a flight simulation and i use joystick with HOTAS ( Hands On Throttle and Stick) system.

Do you use something like what Saitek has to offer? I enjoyed playing flight sims but the one piece Saitek stick I was using was difficult to use. Had a throttle lever. Cyborg 3D Gold USB. Quite old now. I'd like to get one of those new ones. http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/pcgc.asp

Like the X52. Those look sweet but also expensive.

TR4ever
15th Jul 2007, 20:11
Do you use something like what Saitek has to offer? I enjoyed playing flight sims but the one piece Saitek stick I was using was difficult to use. Had a throttle lever. Cyborg 3D Gold USB. Quite old now. I'd like to get one of those new ones. http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/pcgc.asp

Like the X52. Those look sweet but also expensive.

I use Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner Force Feedback, its kind of old but works dam* fine, no complaints about it plus it is recommended to play IL2 game (i don´t have it thought) just a question, do you like planes or just like to play flight sim??

Psyclone
15th Jul 2007, 20:29
I use Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner Force Feedback, its kind of old but works dam* fine, no complaints about it plus it is recommended to play IL2 game (i don´t have it thought) just a question, do you like planes or just like to play flight sim??

Just sims. Learning to fly whatever is appealing to me. Would seem like work to most but it's quite fun. Not much into the actual planes though.

TR4ever
15th Jul 2007, 20:34
Just sims. Learning to fly whatever is appealing to me. Would seem like work to most but it's quite fun. Not much into the actual planes though.

Its a pitty, i thought i found a plane lover friend here, no problem at least we like one thing (arguing against someone who is very annoying sometimes) you should try to get a stick like mine is very smooth and fits perfectly on hands.

Karikatuur
15th Jul 2007, 20:40
I'm really curious what TRA players do with the controls
right after installing the game =)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I buyed my first pc I didnt really knew what a keyboard looked like lol and I always assigned my controls to the arrow buttons .
These days I learned to play wasd (zqsd/azerty) buttons.
Tht way I not only became a faster and better gamer, I never need to change the config to much for handy gameplay in most games.
In tra I changed some keys like grapnel and as always y-invert, but not much more. One or two moves to mouse 4&5 and im ok to go.
My first and last game console ever was a sega saturnus and I played Tomb Raider on it, with controller.
I played more games with controller on other consoles so I have good idea .
I'm sure everybody has his own likings, gamepads/boards, trackballs or whatever opinion.
I even knew gays, oops, who wrote lines and dots on there crt screens LOL (?)

My opinion is when U get used to keyboard/mouse nothing comes near it.
Way faster, precise, possibilities etc.
Maybe im wrong, but I know for fact this config makes smooth and fast gameplay very possible in almost all sorts of games.
For me tht sure as hell is more then enoufgh.

so yes, I dont change to much original control settings.

Swatcat
15th Jul 2007, 21:32
I even knew gays, oops, who wrote lines and dots on there crt screens LOL

Lines and dots on the screen :lol:
Gays or guys? http://www.quake3world.com/forum/images/smiles/paranoid.gif

My opinion is when U get used to keyboard/mouse nothing comes near it.

I agree, especially for FPS's, but basicly for all games.
But I love playing arcade type games with the controller though, they
were made for it me thinks.

Thanks all for voting and the interesting discussion.
Me, I always take the time to adjust and tweak my controls.
It's the first thing I do with any new game.
A good config makes a big difference imho and a tweak a day keeps
the frustration at bay ;)

Karikatuur
15th Jul 2007, 22:47
But I love playing arcade type games with the controller though, they
were made for it me thinks.

fact

(guys) :whistle:

tiger
16th Jul 2007, 00:51
Thanks all for voting and the interesting discussion.
Me, I always take the time to adjust and tweak my controls.
It's the first thing I do with any new game.
A good config makes a big difference imho and a tweak a day keeps
the frustration at bay ;)

And thanks, for that "tweak a day" idea, SwatCat. :thumbsup:
So, I just created two classic TR tumble-and-roll keys via AutoHotKey. :cool:
(One is for Non-Combat mode, only when Lara is un-armed and the other is only for Combat-mode. But sorry, mates, "public sharing" is not a safe option until I can get CD to cough up their Console Commands and a User.ini file for my dozen or so TRA tricks.) :o

Demarest
16th Jul 2007, 00:56
Geez. I guess some people are very touchy. Why don't you learn to not take things so personally. Nice try. You're not going to change the subject though. Anybody with the boredom to actually read through it all can see for themselves that because you've never heard of somebody playing a WASD video game from home row, you assumed nobody did to the point of telling somebody that told you many times they did that "your fingers ARE NOT on home row."

You never commented on this oneYou said that last post. Then I linked you to where I DID comment on it. Now, you said I never commented on it. So you see, it's not touchiness. It's that you're refusing to accept what's directly in front of you for what it is. An interesting habit for somebody who tosses around the word politician as an insult ;)

You say you did but you didn't. Go back and look at the orgiinal post. I'm not the one that needs a reminder of what did and did not happen. I said home row. It tells the story.

Yes, I use the keys that way or no, I don't use the keys that way. That's it. Instead I get a flippant answer to multilpe statements.No. I've said I do many times. You're just now MAYBE hearing it. I can't tell amidst all the trying to back of you made a mistake (which isn't the end of the world BTW)

Not everybody here knows what certain terms are like 'home row'.You do. You stated what it was twice before anybody else did. So you can say that people might not know is your reason for not knowing when you do. :scratch:

I wasn't putting you down or anything but simply asking you a question that I never got a direct answer to. Of course you will say you did but obviously you were very vague much like a politician answers his questions.Yes, because home row is such a vague term. So much so that you're able to succinctly spell it out twice. Nice try.

And I know you weren't putting me down. My level of effort (which isn't taking it personally as you tried to making with your efforts to dodge responsibility for making a mistake) is in the way you seem to totally ignore something when your ignoring it is clearly the source of the confusion. Just above, I pointed out how you said I didn't respond to something, I linked that I did, and you said I didn't respond AGAIN. Which is actually irrelevant in and of itself because my responding to that ONE item isn't the only way I can convey, as I did before you ever contested it, that I use home row.

Maybe the problem you have with me and others is that you pop off about something and don't explain yourself in the greatest of terms, getting all defensive when questioned. Nothing says you have to stop on a dime to come to grips with how I keyboard. You could've asked, but you didn't. You were repetitively insistent that no way do I do what I said I do, simply because as far as you know, nobody else does. Which is inherently ludicrous.

And no, I don't have a problem with others. There was one, who spoke as if he was eight years old and got his jollies off of sending me PM after PM talking and acting like an eight year old. To my delight, the forum has an ignore feature, so problem solved. Problems WITH me? Well you can only speak for yourself and I really have no answer--nor do I accept responsibility--for somebody who is confused because he needs clarification on a concept he's already proven to have proficiency with.

While it may not seem like it to you, you were basically putting down that guys post with the picture. Instead of just coming on this page and posting what controls you use, you had to bash another persons.:whistle:I put forth my opinion on the subject. It's telling that you can't just call something what it is and have to make it out to be so much worse than it is to get your way in a conversation.

Almost as telling as how one time, I pointed out that a member kept not dropping something to say drop it and I get a moderator saying don't make it personal, but anytime somebody makes it personal against me, it's open season. :scratch: Luckily, I grasp the English language, so it's not terribly difficult to manuever within. Which is why I'm wondering why you cling to innocence when a simple "Oh, oops :o" would suffice, within a medium where the truth of the matter is all a matter of record RIGHT HERE. :nut:

tiger
16th Jul 2007, 01:19
(... And now, for something a lot more boring, but still On Topic.) :cool:

Fire was already on my LMB, the Left Mouse Button on my 3-button mouse.

But I just had to put TRA's Combat mode onto my MMB, because with the MBW, Mouse Button Wheel, being there for changing TRA weapon, it has simply made too much sense for way too many games, folks! (And of course, my TRA is in "Combat Mode => Advanced Toggle", all the time.)

So then the RMB was open for their Interaction command.
(And that has been a world of good fortune with saving Lara from some pretty nasty falls.) :thumbsup:

Psyclone
16th Jul 2007, 01:52
More dissection and blah, blah, blah.:nut:

Demarest
16th Jul 2007, 03:27
More dissection and blah, blah, blah.:nut:

Marginalization: The indication that one has no merit to their argument, so they must attack the credibility/stature of their opponent instead. I accept your resignation, but the dignified thing to do would've been to just admit you jumped to a conclusion, it precipitate a large amount of unnecessary turbulance, that wasn't your intention, etc. It's not a big deal, but avoiding it for the sake of... I don't know (is image what you were going for?) is.

Psyclone
17th Jul 2007, 01:37
Marginalization: The indication that one has no merit to their argument, so they must attack the credibility/stature of their opponent instead. I accept your resignation, but the dignified thing to do would've been to just admit you jumped to a conclusion, it precipitate a large amount of unnecessary turbulance, that wasn't your intention, etc. It's not a big deal, but avoiding it for the sake of... I don't know (is image what you were going for?) is.

*rolls eyes*

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*EDIT* I just had to add this after I remembered. Too funny and oh-so true.
:lol: :rasp:

Tyron
17th Jul 2007, 01:40
I never adjust the controlls myself.........i like the default controlls

But Im willing to ask a completely off Topic question,

How do I make a poll?

Swatcat
17th Jul 2007, 07:45
How do I make a poll?

Look here =)
http://forums.eidosgames.com/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=poll&match=all&titlesonly=0

Psyclone
18th Jul 2007, 04:36