PDA

View Full Version : returning player, disappointments and bossfights

Mirar
12th Jul 2007, 16:17
I haven't played a Tomb Raider game for years, and when I saw Anniversary I thought I should give it a try. I loved the first four games in the series.
I didn't expect it to be this different.

I play games on PC, so my expectations might be slightly different from the people that are used to PS2 and other consoles.

First, what's up with the controls? I'm used to be able to control lara going forward, left and right, in relation to her current position and direction. Second, what's up with the camera?
I end up fighting both which direction Lara runs and where I want the camera. Is it supposed to be like that? Is it like that on the PS2? You can actually get used to that?

Second, when did TR get to be a reaction-timed-button-combination-game with random results? Am I getting too old for reaction games? Maybe it's easier on a controller, but with mouse and keyboard on a PC it's bloody tricky... and I don't like games based on luck, which seems to play a great deal in whether you manage to do those tricky adrenaline dodges.

Now I'm stuck at the Centaurs. (Sure I can do all the movements and get them to freeze to stone, once or so, and I didn't make a dent in their healthbar during the second it was frozen...)

...any tips or encouragement before I uninstall this game again?

CatSuit&Ponytail
12th Jul 2007, 16:36
First let me tell you you are not alone. All the things you mentioned have been discussed here. Some people find the new controls and camera and combos very hard and frustrating. There is some good advice here in different threads about how to make the transition easier, and some save games for those who just can't get the hang of the adrenaline dodge thingy. :)

Don't give up yet, stick around and try the tricks some of the others have to offer. :)

Mangar The Dark
12th Jul 2007, 16:46
Well first of all, let me say that it IS possible to get used to the controls. I found them awkward when I first played the demo, but after about a half hour or so, and realizing that WASD is much more comfortable than using the arrow keys, it all fell into place, and I actually find the new controls to be quite good. You might want to try exploring the manor a bit-- it's a good place to get familiar with the controls without any fear of being attacked.

As for beating the centaurs, pretty much every bit advice that can be offered has already been written in other threads. Once you figure out what you're supposed to do, they're surprisingly easy to beat. I did it in one attempt because I cheated and read the necessary steps on this board. So hang in there!

Demarest
12th Jul 2007, 17:08
First of all, welcome to the forums!

First, what's up with the controls? They're configurable! Console users are stuck with how it's laid out or in some game, a choice between a few predetermined layouts.

Second, what's up with the camera?It's analog! Now you don't have to stop to look around, you can do it while moving about. All with the flick of your wrist! Console users have to abandon four buttons to do this.

Is it supposed to be like that? Is it like that on the PS2? You can actually get used to that?Yep. It's like any other video game. There are rules and nuances about that environment and to play the game effectively, you need to acknowledge and function within those limitations. If you find this transition frustrating, I'd say first tell yourself that you CAN do it. Secondly, relax. I realize that sounds cheesey, but you'd be surprised how much just about every aspect of TRA goes as you would have it when you're calm. Easier said than done, I know. It might take some practice, but it won't be long.

Second, when did TR get to be a reaction-timed-button-combination-game with random results? Am I getting too old for reaction games? Maybe it's easier on a controller, but with mouse and keyboard on a PC it's bloody tricky... and I don't like games based on luck, which seems to play a great deal in whether you manage to do those tricky adrenaline dodges.An adrenaline dodge is two buttons. The timing might be something to get used to, but it's dismissive to regard it as a button pressing nightmare. If you haven't already, switch your combat mode to Advanced Toggle. This will make it so you don't have to press aim. I think it also mean you won't also have to be pressing the button to keep your weapons drawn.

Now I'm stuck at the Centaurs. (Sure I can do all the movements and get them to freeze to stone, once or so, and I didn't make a dent in their healthbar during the second it was frozen...)

...any tips or encouragement before I uninstall this game again?Well if you can stone them, you've already gotten the hard part behind you. Once stoned, drop the shield and draw your guns. This is the time to be using your heavy weapons. 50 Caliber at a distance or Shotgun up close. That REALLY hurts them.

Lean on us. We've been there and overcome. You will too. Just don't give up, okay? :)

TouchOfPink
12th Jul 2007, 17:14
Hey and welcome to the forums :)

My cousin had many problems with controlling Lara and the camera with the keyboard, so he ordered, off of Ebay, a controller that you can plug into your computer and he found it 10x better and easier. This is just a suggestion. Myself, I got used to the controls on the PS2 because when Angel Of Darkness came out, I found the controls so difficult, but i'm completely familiar with them now :)

Lectrician
12th Jul 2007, 17:18
I play on PC with a console controller. It is very rare (I only say that because I don't want to say "Never") that those 4 buttons that are "abandoned" are even needed when you are in a position to need to rotate the camera. It's really a non-issue, but one that keeps popping up. The left thumbstick also changes the point of view.

I was nervous about the movement at first too, but after a few minutes of getting used to it, I wouldn't want it any other way...it works very well.

Below Zero
12th Jul 2007, 17:25
Welcome to the fourms! Sorry I cant help you, I play on PS3 so I dont know what it is like to play Anniversary on the PC. One reason I did buy anniversary for the Playstation is because I though it would be alot easier to play on the Playstation because of the controler. I just say dont give up on the game just because of the controles. I do know that the PC version is configurable, like others said, so that might make it better for you. Another option is to buy the controler for the PC.

Mirar
12th Jul 2007, 18:26
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

As for the controls, I'm used to two variants of controlling: First person shooters, like Quake or Half-Life, where you aim/direct/camera with your mouse, and move forward/backwards/strafe with buttons. The other one is third person, like WoW or previous TR instances, where you control the direction of the character with the keyboard and the camera is always behind you unless you (in combination with a button) move it with the mouse.
It took a lot to get used to the motion of the character being camera-relative and the camera being motion-relative at the same time, for me.

I've been able to complete the first two levels time trials without problem, so I dare say I did get used to it, I just don't like it. =^.^=
If any patches or future TR is being planned, I would dare to suggest at least the camera to be able to be locked behind Lara and the addition of strafe buttons... and I want the back and sideflips back! :)

I can't do the third level's time trial due to the randomness of the fights. I always miss (die) once or twice there, and lack the last 45 seconds or so I would need to complete the level. Time runs out on the ladder up to the third cog... :(

Is there any more bossfights like this? Is there any possible cheatcode just to skip the bossfights (godmode?)?

illithid8
12th Jul 2007, 18:37
I'm sorry, but adrenaline dodges are extremely easy, and are not based on luck.
You'll get used to it.

Mirar
12th Jul 2007, 18:39
Ah, was expecting a reply like that. Now I feel stupid, old and clumsy.

Ah well. *uninstalls*

Qbert
13th Jul 2007, 01:48
I can't do the third level's time trial due to the randomness of the fights. I always miss (die) once or twice there, and lack the last 45 seconds or so I would need to complete the level. Time runs out on the ladder up to the third cog... :(

Is there any more bossfights like this? Is there any possible cheatcode just to skip the bossfights (godmode?)?

Quick tip: Avoid the shotgun and go for the Valley first. You'll shave off a few minutes on the round trip back to the waterfall.