PDA

View Full Version : Virus File?

rulisky
11th Jul 2007, 23:12
I have been happily playing TRA for a couple of days. Then, today my AVG anti-virus program has decided that the main executable file to run the game has an "Obfustat.NH" virus.

What? I can find NO online info regarding this name on Google. Now, I can not play the game at all!!

Any idea(s) on what to do?? TIA

UTWarden
11th Jul 2007, 23:18
I have been happily playing TRA for a couple of days. Then, today my AVG anti-virus program has decided that the main executable file to run the game has an "Obfustat.NH" virus.

What? I can find NO online info regarding this name on Google. Now, I can not play the game at all!!

launch control centre in AVG, click on virus vault, down below you'll see open button, click on it, this should open a new window, find the file, right click, select restore file as... and put it back.

try google searching Obfustat and you'll see why it was picked up.

Demarest
11th Jul 2007, 23:52

You should be consulting that AV's website, not asking a bunch of people that play TRA. One has nothing to do with the other.

rulisky
12th Jul 2007, 01:56
Thanks for taking the time to reply on my issue.

I have tried to Restore the file under the AVG virus vault - but it won't. This is the main executable file that runs the game. Without the file, the game won't work. So, it has everything to do with TRA.

I did search on Google for "Obfustat.NH" as I noted in my first post. NO responses whatsoever, none, nada, zip. All it did was to say to check my spelling or use another word. I looked in the virus encyclopedia under AVG program, after it told me the file was infected with this virus. Then it told me there was NO information on any such virus! You can imagine my frustration.

I was hoping someone might have more experience in the matter than me. Google never heard of it. And the antivirus program that quoted it to me denies any information on it.

So. What to do?

John Carter
12th Jul 2007, 02:04
That seems to be a common problem with AVG's heuristic scanning subroutine. Here's some info and discussion from AVG's "detection" of same in Supreme Commander-

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?4,103710,103710

Sounds to me like AVG gets a false positive in several game .exe's.

rulisky
12th Jul 2007, 03:17
That seems to be a common problem with AVG's heuristic scanning subroutine. Here's some info and discussion from AVG's "detection" of same in Supreme Commander-

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?4,103710,103710

Sounds to me like AVG gets a false positive in several game .exe's.

OK! After reading this, I turned their "Resident Shield" completely off and was able to copy the file back from the CD and run the game. Turn back on after exiting game.

The .exe file has been sent to AVG per their instructions for a suspected false positive. They are susposed to address this in future updates.

Also, I searched on "Obfustat" without the ".NH" and Google finally revealed results. Hope all of this helps someone in the future.

THANKS!

TR4ever
13th Jul 2007, 17:55
You should be consulting that AV's website, not asking a bunch of people that play TRA. One has nothing to do with the other.

:cool: Cabrão não queres mesmo aprender pois não??:confused:

Something similar happened to me, i scanned my computer and for some reason AVG said that my MP3 player had a virus, it removed that "virus" and since then my pc couldn´t read the data on my MP3 player, of course i restored the file and the problem was solved, AVG seems to have this kind of problems.