PDA

View Full Version : Playing the old Tomb Raiders

howiesfunware
11th Jul 2007, 19:16
After finishing Anniversary, I fired up the original Tomb Raider to do a little retro gaming. It's weird to see the old graphics and pointy Laura boobs.

I also dusted off and fired up "Angel of Darkness". No wonder this game tanked. They hooked up this really nice graphics engine (of the time), to the old PS1 control scheme. Controlling Laura in Legend and Anniversary is like driving your car. You just get in and go and don’t really think about it. Controlling Laura in "Angel of Darkness" and the old PS1 games is like trying to drive your first remote control car, running into walls, banging into furniture, freaking out the cat and careening down the stairs. Bits of plastic breaking off with each smash and crash.

No wonder I never finished the first original Tomb Raider. I'm also seeing how crule the game design was.

Below Zero
11th Jul 2007, 19:35
I like the analogy that you used campering AOD and a remote control car :lol:. It may seem harsh, but its true, the control scheeme was terriable in AOD.

gbas
11th Jul 2007, 23:17
Well said. :thumbsup: :) I try to go back and play my old games again but it gets frustrating.

Demarest
11th Jul 2007, 23:51
Controlling Lara in "Angel of Darkness" and the old PS1 games is like trying to drive your first remote control car, running into walls, banging into furniture, freaking out the cat and careening down the stairs. Bits of plastic breaking off with each smash and crash.:lol: I played some six games with the controller configuration. So it's like riding a bike. Yes, it's more cumbersome, but that just makes me appreciate the Legend engine that much more.

Resy
12th Jul 2007, 02:29
Before TR anniversary came out I began replaying TR 1 just for something to do. Sure the graphics were not the greatest but so what? I will admit that I only finished AoD just to say I had. Otherwise never really picked it up much since.

I remember when Prince of Persia for the PS2 came out, I thought to myself that this was how Lara should be and how TR games should be. Legend and Anniversary have done just about that which is awesome.

naraku
12th Jul 2007, 05:31
Wow, lots of folks stopped playing AOD soon after playing! Only to finish it later just to say they did. I did the same. I guess it was that bad. I finished it after Legend about 2 months ago. I just realized how close I was to the end.

Squishy
12th Jul 2007, 21:39
I still havnt completed AOD but my cousin has, he did it while i was there os i got to see lol

tombraiderxlegend
13th Jul 2007, 00:30
I finished AOD about 4 months after it came out. It was horrible. I quit halfway thru, then came back 2 months after [[making up the 4 months]] and finished it because I don't like to leave games unfinished. :]

naraku
13th Jul 2007, 04:30
and finished it because I don't like to leave games unfinished. :]
Same here.