PDA

View Full Version : Scary Animals

Vilcabamba
11th Jul 2007, 08:57
Good Morn Ye Raiders,

I would like to know if there is anyone out there who is scared by the animals..

I Just cant take it any more, i have come to the conclusion that i am a big softy!!

They bring terror to my otherwise peacefull holliday, (especially the black panthers)

when i ten years younger (Gulp!!) i used to make my LITTLE sister do the water bits just in case there was a crocodile!!!

I have come to terms with my "big softyness" its been difficult, but im getting there..........

i know some where there must be some one as soft as me..........

other wise i have once again done what i am superb at an publicly embarrased myself hahaha

CatSuit&Ponytail
11th Jul 2007, 08:59
I'm not scared of the animals. I am like that scientist girl in Jurassic Park. I always want to pet them. :rolleyes:

Tiri Li
11th Jul 2007, 09:03
The only time i'm scared of the animals is when they appear out of thin air.

But don't worry,you're not alone. There is someone else -whose username I have forgotton (XD)- who is as petrified of the animals as you.

Vilcabamba
11th Jul 2007, 09:09
Ha Ha, That makes me feel better!!

i do like there animation though, the way they swipe at you,

i just prefer to be up on a high ledge when they are swiping!!

Vilcabamba
11th Jul 2007, 09:11
I'm not scared of the animals. I am like that scientist girl in Jurassic Park. I always want to pet them. :rolleyes:

thats sweet....................... your the lady from the dvd.......arent you?

Tiri Li
11th Jul 2007, 09:12
I have discoverd the usename:

Squishy

In the Lost Valley, where the bear attacks you, Squishy spend an hour on top of the platforms waiting for the bear to come out, not realising s/he had killed it and the body had dissapeared. And, apprantely s/he was screaming when the wolves attacked in TR1.

Yup, you definately are not alone in your views.

CatSuit&Ponytail
11th Jul 2007, 09:12
Yes, that would be me. :)

Vilcabamba
11th Jul 2007, 09:20
when i saw your collection of laras i had to sit down, ive allways wanted one, they were most impressive, i believe the word "wow" escaped my mouth

Squishy

In the Lost Valley, where the bear attacks you, Squishy spend an hour on top of the platforms waiting for the bear to come out, not realising s/he had killed it and the body had dissapeared. And, apprantely s/he was screaming when the wolves attacked in TR1.

He he!!!!!! thats soooooo me, those bears were horrible, and i do a lot of screaming and random firing in any direction, the thing about the bear has really made me giggle though

CatSuit&Ponytail
11th Jul 2007, 09:25
I'm glad you enjoyed it. We are enjoying collecting them. :)

I have an idea for you about your fear of the animals. Maybe if you run to a spot where they can't get to you, somewhere up on a rock or something, and just take your hands off the controls and watch them circling for a while you will desensitize yourself a bit? :) Once you can watch them in a relax detached way, you can try again. I don't know, it may help. :) Then maybe your sister won't need to be called in. :D

Swatcat
11th Jul 2007, 09:28
i know some where there must be some one as soft as me..........

*Raises hand* ;)

When I hear the wolves howl I don't wanne move anymore.
And finally I sneak forward bit by bit and try to locate them.
And I'm also scared to go into the water, hahaha =)

The background noises (espescially animal-like noises) and music make me so nervous sometimes,
I have to turn it off to calm down :rolleyes:
In my defense, only when I play at night and I'm home alone.
How embarassing is that?

Vilcabamba
11th Jul 2007, 09:35
thanks for the tip, ill give it a go,

haha i hear you about the wolves, but at least their howling let you know they were comming....

when i got to that bit on ejypt with the six statues and those black panthers in the little cage rooms i tried to shoot them through the cages about a million times before i made myself pull the switch to release them haha, then i realised it wasnt as bad as i made it out to be!!!

naraku
11th Jul 2007, 09:38
The Panthers don't scare me! But is it just me or did those Gorillas get BIGGER!?
I'll tell you what when those King Kong relatives come-a knocking I start-a Running!

Vilcabamba
11th Jul 2007, 09:41
The Panthers don't scare me! But is it just me or did those Gorillas get BIGGER!?
I'll tell you what when those King Kong relatives come-a knocking I start-a Running!

They scarred me for life!! i ran and jumped into a pool of water so they couldnt get me (at the same time hoping a crocodile didnt snap up my legs) some times you have to make sacrifices

naraku
11th Jul 2007, 09:45
They scarred me for life!! i ran and jumped into a pool of water so they couldnt get me (at the same time hoping a crocodile didnt snap up my legs) some times you have to make sacrifices
Those are the times I wish I had a harpoon gun.

Vilcabamba
11th Jul 2007, 09:50
yes.................. or a submarine

naraku
11th Jul 2007, 10:42
Vilcabamba I can't read you're message cause my pop up blocker won't let it. Don't know how to turn it off. So could tell me what you want here?

Vilcabamba
11th Jul 2007, 10:46
sure!!

i was just saying, i thought we might be the only people here as no one seems to be speaking that much..... i guess there either asleep or working, im on holiday woooo,

i think if you click on it when it comes up , it can be disabled i had the same problem once

naraku
11th Jul 2007, 10:51
Well I'm kinda getting sleepy myself. and kinda sorta getting a craving for some tomb raider action right now!

Vilcabamba
11th Jul 2007, 10:52
i have an urge to get out of ejypt, im on the first level there with the cat statue so i guess i should get stuck in really

TR4ever
11th Jul 2007, 11:00
I´m not afraid of the animals but i got scared one or two times when they jumped out of nowhere, but thats TR.

Likay
11th Jul 2007, 11:02
One of the black panthers in the rooms behind those pullable blocks (where you need to see the combinations to turn the pillars) scared the sh-t out of me and my friend. I play my games in 3D and a 100" screen and when one of the panthers jumped into our faces we both ducked! lol. Still a rememberable moment. :lol:

Vilcabamba
11th Jul 2007, 11:04
tell more about this 3d??? i have heard people talk about it but dont know what it is!!

i hate pulling out blocks with things behind....yikes!!

TR4ever
11th Jul 2007, 11:16
One of the black panthers in the rooms behind those pullable blocks (where you need to see the combinations to turn the pillars) scared the sh-t out of me and my friend. I play my games in 3D and a 100" screen and when one of the panthers jumped into our faces we both ducked! lol. Still a rememberable moment. :lol:

Same happened to me i pulled the block and draw the weapons and got ready but eaven like that i got scared that panther jumped from the side i wasn´t expecting.

P.S- I wasn´t playing with 3-D but really would like to know how.

lara's_bro
11th Jul 2007, 11:22
i'm not really scared of the animals because i find them quite easy to kill, except the panthers they take longer to kill than the cat mummies for me anyway. my first encounter with the winged mutants in egypt scared me, especially since i was on top of a small platform with a long drop.:eek:

Demarest
11th Jul 2007, 11:42
The only time i'm scared of the animals is when they appear out of thin air.Agreed. Which only happened a couple times in TRA. I think the scariest moment in any TR by far is during Unfinished Business. There was a small room that I checked as best I could from outside it. Hop in, still nothing. Go about my day when that high pitched screech comes out of nowhere. To this day, no game or even movie has made me jump quite that much. :)

Likay
11th Jul 2007, 11:49
to Vilcabamba:

The technique has been around for about 5 years or so. Myself i only heard of it two years ago and i had to try it. One might say i got bitten by it! However it's really a riddle how come not so many know about it. :confused:

I started with a pair of E-D-shutterglasses to view 3d and it worked like a charm! I already had a crt-monitor so the glasses was the only extra cost for me. A pair of shutterglasses nowadays can be found for about 40$ (cheapest) and up to 150$ but everyone should be able to buy them cheaper than that. I live in Sweden and the cost for my glasses was about 100$.

However i really like to have a big screen to watch movies and play games so i made some researches to find out if it was possible to even get 3D with a big screen! IT IS!! (Look at an IMAX cinema). The system is totally compatible to play stereo on your computer! And with your friends too! This solution is very expensive though.
If you have dual outputs on your graphiccard (Nvidia it has to be) then go to a IMAX cinema close to you and ask to borrow their equipment. :D *joking

Read some more here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d_stereo.html
Stereogamers also have an own forum for 3D. Try google mtbs3d for it.
This is just to mention a few.

The technique basically is the Nvidia stereodriver that makes your graphiccard render the game scene from two directions. However playing in stereo you have to sacrifice about 20-30% of your game framerates compared to play without stereo. So, if you had 50 fps before you'll have to settle for 35-40 fps. The difference is not much.

Vilcabamba
11th Jul 2007, 11:56
Wow!!

that all sounds very technical, but thanks for your help, i will have a look and see how i get on,

its exciting!!!

Likay
11th Jul 2007, 12:11
Yes, studying first might save you some hazzle.
1'st: At least until now S3D is an Nvidia feature only. There are other stereodriver that also works but not as good as the Nvidia ones.

2'nd: Shutterglasses works only on crt-monitors. I've tested them with my flat screen but it's a no go. They might work with DLP-projectors. With LCD-monitors it's still a no go. So LCD technique and shutterglasses makes no 3D.

3'rd: Another cheap solution just to get a grip on it: Get a pair of those red/green, red/blue glasses and try it out. Maybe you find them in a toystore magazine or you might find some discocolorfilters to try with. Works on every monitor and projectors. However you still must have an Nvidia card in you computer. (There are solutions even for ATI owners but not a simple one). The only thing sacrificed with this S3D solution is of course color reproduction but at least you'll see the effect and for a real cheap cost.

I really recommend the 3'rd option for those who are curious since the cost is only those red/green, red/blue glasses before advancing to other solutions.

Below Zero
11th Jul 2007, 12:43
Im not scared of the animals, but I can see some people are, They come out of no-where.

howiesfunware
11th Jul 2007, 13:24
What scares me about the animals is how bad the AI is. :lol:

tombraiderxlegend
11th Jul 2007, 16:17
You are so not alone. I get soooo scared when I have to kill the animals because they like pop out of no where. :[ It terrified me even worse in TR1. =/

I made my Dad kill all the animals in TR1. But I've gotten a little better. :p

Swatcat
11th Jul 2007, 18:06
What scares me about the animals is how bad the AI is. :lol:

Hahaha, very true :D
I'm still scared though http://www.quake3world.com/forum/images/smiles/paranoid.gif

boots
13th Jul 2007, 00:55
Hehe, the first time I played the original game by myself, once I got to the double bridge room (yes, in the very beginning) I heard a sound that literally made me drop the controller and leave the room. At first I thought there was something wrong with the console, but I later realized it was the "howl" they had given the wolves (which I couldn't see when I entered the bridge room). It was the most unearthly thing I'd ever heard. Thinking back, it actually sounded very similar to the Xian warriors at the end of TR2 when they came to life, and not anything like a wolf.

They did much better with the ones in TRA, I must say. :lol: All of the sound design is superb, in fact. Not to mention spooky.

I'm not really scared of the animals in Anniversary, but the mummies freak me out a bit. They're so fast! :eek: Well, okay, and maybe the alligators a little. They're absurdly fast, and amphibious. I don't like them.

NightRain'06
15th Jul 2007, 02:16
When I first played the demo and saw the wolves in Lost Valley, I swear they seemed possessed ! That freaked me out. Even the bear. :eek:

After playing the full version, I don't remember the gorillas having possessed eyes though. :scratch:

RaiderGirl#1
15th Jul 2007, 03:04
I am very scared of the animals.
I don't know why but I just freak out. I usually pause the game as soon as an animal jumps out and then breathe. Then push the buttons franticaly.
I really do wish that you could shoot with one arm or something while hanging onto a ledge.

TR4ever
15th Jul 2007, 07:58
I am very scared of the animals.
I don't know why but I just freak out. I usually pause the game as soon as an animal jumps out and then breathe. Then push the buttons franticaly.
I really do wish that you could shoot with one arm or something while hanging onto a ledge.

CD could take this move from MGS3, in that game while you hang in a three with one arm you can shoot with the other, of course that in that game this isn´t very usefull since the enemys spot you quickly and the objective of the game is to go throught without the enemy even knowing you´re there.

Symbian_Freak
15th Jul 2007, 08:23
i'm not scared of the animals, mummies & etc. but the way they jump infront of me... suddenly and without expecting them combined with the amazing music effects while something is after u is the things that i enjoy most :lmao: and talking about music... the egypt levels rocks. i'm always walkin with pressed right mouse button aka in combat mode and prepared for the worst :D ahahahh

ElevenTR
15th Jul 2007, 08:30
Ya know what i do? instead of them rage-charging at me, i charge at them! once the panther ran away when i charged at it :eek: SHOW 'EM WHOS BOSS!

lol

Werner Von Croy
15th Jul 2007, 08:33
Ya know what i do? instead of them rage-charging at me, i charge at them! once the panther ran away when i charged at it :eek: SHOW 'EM WHOS BOSS!

lol

I think the scariest bit in TR is when the T-Rex charges at you :eek: If you don't execute it properly then you are most certainly it's breakfast :lol:

NightRain'06
15th Jul 2007, 08:48

lol

You know what ? I agree. I think that's EXACTLY what she'd do. Charge at them instead ! :cool: She takes guff from nobody ! :p

The way I play though... :rolleyes:

~~~~~

Werner Von Croy ~ I know. I've turned her into Dino Snack too on many attempts at trying to defeat it before learning the pattern....

TouchOfPink
15th Jul 2007, 11:24
No you are not alone Vilcabamba. For me , it was the gorillas in Midas's Palace. As you come out of the romm, they would jump out on you 2 by 2 :o I also didn't like the atlantean mutants, they moved too quickly - and so did the raptors! :nut:

Vilcabamba
15th Jul 2007, 13:32
ha!! i am currently stuck up on a ledge in egypt to scared to go down in case there is a panther how embarrasing!!!

Werner Von Croy
15th Jul 2007, 13:37
ha!! i am currently stuck up on a ledge in egypt to scared to go down in case there is a panther how embarrasing!!!

There's a room in Temple of Khamoon with about 5 panthers :mad2: Shoot em from the lower ledge that seems to work for me

Vilcabamba
15th Jul 2007, 13:42
thanks i shall tread cautiously, hah ha its well odd becos i never have this problem with any other games, only tomb raider.

Werner Von Croy
15th Jul 2007, 13:44
thanks i shall tread cautiously, hah ha its well odd becos i never have this problem with any other games, only tomb raider.

There's loads of goodies in that room as well if it's any consolation :D

gbas
15th Jul 2007, 14:04
The things that got me were the flying mutants. You would hear a pod break and turn out and look for it but of course it was always right above your head! I got a little scare out of that. ;)

barbieboobs22
16th Jul 2007, 23:30
yes they do scare me, not so much looking at them but the noises they make are so realistic and then they come charging at you out of no where, t rex and centuars especially:(

dazz
17th Jul 2007, 03:27
I get in a panick sometimes while killing animals cause you can't rapid fire like in Legend. Also I don't like it in Midas' Palace where the gorillas appear on the the way back through a coridor when they weren't there before. Is there any way to deal with crocs while in the water?

NightRain'06
17th Jul 2007, 05:13
If there was no music during all animals appearances, that'd scare me a bit, I think. Suddenly-- BOOM ! They're right in her face.

ElevenTR
17th Jul 2007, 06:28
I get in a panick sometimes while killing animals cause you can't rapid fire like in Legend. Also I don't like it in Midas' Palace where the gorillas appear on the the way back through a coridor when they weren't there before. Is there any way to deal with crocs while in the water?

no you have to lure them near to the edge of the water, cli:lol: mb out and then shoot them from there (use better weapons o avoid repetition).

Bampire
17th Jul 2007, 06:43
Only once I was scared by an animal, on Anniversary. I was speedrunning Midas Palace and as I was going to the large room, where it takes you to the Fire Room Lever. Previously I skipped the Gorillas and ran into that room, killed off the Gorilla and Panther, went to the upper level.. Waiting for the bats to kill them so they didn't knock me off and just as I was shooting one the Gorillas run up behind me, pushing me off the ledge. I just jumped from that. xD It scared me.

when I was younger, my sisters and I would play Tomb Raider at night, when it was silent we'd jump and scream when the monsters/ animals jumped and attacked lara. It was so fun.

BrogieBee
17th Jul 2007, 15:12
OMG! So Glad I Aint The Only One Whos Petrified Of The *Shivers* Animals My Mates Mam Thought I Was Being Murderd In The Bedroom Whilst Fighting That Bloody T-Rex In Peru!:o

Tirinka
17th Jul 2007, 17:34
Gorillas, Cat Mummies, and Bears (Oh my!). Those ones from Anniversary scare me a lot. But the nearly all animals in the classics scared me. It's just the scary bad graphics and the out-of-no-where-ness.
I remember, once, in TR anniversary, when going after an artifact, you round this corner, and then if you turn around and go back immediately, you run into a cat mummy that is just sitting there... waiting for you... It's scary weird...
And the possessed eyes that the animals in Anniversary are scary! And nearly all of them have rabies!

The raptors are kinda cute though... I want one as a pet, if it wouldn't bite my head off...

Tomraider
17th Jul 2007, 22:20
in the original, pretty almost every animal that popped out of nowhere scared me! but in anniversary i think i only got scared once...by a lion..thats pretty much it.

dazz
20th Jul 2007, 08:07
I know this threads about animals but I got scared the most by Winston in Croft Manor. He was standing near the door that leads outside. Then I went up the stairs to the bedroom to get the journal and there was Winston, standing in front of the window......freaked me out it did.

boots
20th Jul 2007, 08:27
I know this threads about animals but I got scared the most by Winston in Croft Manor. He was standing near the door that leads outside. Then I went up the stairs to the bedroom to get the journal and there was Winston, standing in front of the window......freaked me out it did.

That happened to me too! I had forgotten that he follows you around, and so I went in and saw a figure in the moonlight. I thought it was a ghost. :rolleyes:

Towel
21st Jul 2007, 17:33
Im Not Scared Of Them, I Just Take My Time when i hear suspense music.

Closet Gamer
21st Jul 2007, 17:58
All the animales are pretty cool . didnt like to fight the Mummy cat (moved TO Da** Fast) and swimming with the crocs ( Totally afraid of SHARKS:eek: ) any thing that swims in the oceans scares the S**T out of me (I know crocs arent in the ocean :D ) you know what i mean :rasp:

party_animal
28th Jul 2007, 21:47
I'm not scared of the animals but when they pop out of nowhere it scares the crud out of me.

RitaG18
28th Jul 2007, 22:05
Lmao you're not alone mate :p And TRA at least has the music to prepare you to what is about to come (and by the music you can also tell who is the enemy), the classic TRs didn't have any notice at all :confused: They'd show up out of nowhere and make you scream. You have no idea how hard I screamed when I was coming out of the water just to see a wolf's face in a close up hahaha My fear is what's stopping me from replaying Egypt, that part has more enemies than Atlantis!
To overcome that I just open a tombraidergirl's site walkthrough and skim the text to count how many enemies there are in this level to mentally prepare myself :lol:

Hey, we're TR gamers! We can do it! :D

RitaG18
28th Jul 2007, 22:13
I remember, once, in TR anniversary, when going after an artifact, you round this corner, and then if you turn around and go back immediately, you run into a cat mummy that is just sitting there... waiting for you... It's scary

Oh that was SCARY AS HELL!!! No music, no notice, nothing! You turn around and the camera zooms on this ugly thing UGH!

I screamed. Hard. A lot. :(

Joshorty
28th Jul 2007, 23:15
I really hate to say it but compared to the original, I'm not as scared as in TRA for some reason.

One of the only parts that got me scared was when after getting that key in City of Vilcabamba and going in that mini-cave, two wolves tried to attack me SIDE BY SIDE (from left and right) in the darkness:eek:! I don't know if that was the AI but they ARE SMART!! Too bad it only happened once...

In TR1, I'm more frightened to actually go down and even run to them (I mean, especially with the way the wolf sounds when they just come and bite you!:eek:)

I KNOW EH:eek:?!?! He just like pops up right out of darkness! I'm like "DON'T YOU DO THAT!!:( "

Spong
29th Jul 2007, 04:24
None of the animals or creatures in Anniversary freak me out. The atlantean creatures in the original did though. It was that damn screech they'd make as the launched themselves at you from around a corner, their sinewy red arms flailing.

And the yetis in TR2. That horrific roar as they wandered about in the pitch black, and their grunting and heavy footsteps - scary stuff.

Squishy
31st Jul 2007, 15:18

Squishy

yup that was me, im very easily scared haha, TR has always made me jump, scream etc etc when things pop out of nowhere and even when someone else is playing i used to make my mum mad screaming every time something attacked :lol:

fatbloke123
2nd Aug 2007, 13:06
one bit made me jump think it was the back end of egypt i climb up a long ladder to get to my next stage and just as i got to the top this great mummy dog ran at me and i dropped the control and fell to my death lol :)

NightRain'06
6th Aug 2007, 05:09

Same here ! When Winston suddenly managed to teleport himself into various rooms in the Mansion, that was more startling and surprising than when he'd follow/stalk her around in previous TR games. Seriously, when I saw him in the shadows of her bedroom in Anniversary, I was also freaked that I wanted to jump inside the game and put a world of hurt on him. Sadly, since I couldn't do that, I really wanted her to have a rocket launcher to blow him up instead. That would've made me happy. :D I wish we had the ability to have her do that again ~ either blow him up or shoot him down like in TR3.
No blanks though 'cause they're useless ! :lol:

Then again, even after killing him, he'd reappear I guess. :rolleyes:

RitaG18
6th Aug 2007, 05:32
yup that was me, im very easily scared haha, TR has always made me jump, scream etc etc when things pop out of nowhere and even when someone else is playing i used to make my mum mad screaming every time something attacked :lol:

Lmao same here :lol: My bro hates playing if I'm watching because then I scream and scare him :lol:

Boobytrap
26th Aug 2007, 20:18
BOE! :eek:
Yes you ARE a big softy :rasp:. I'm not scared by the animals myself, they are annoying at most...
But if you already get scared of this stuff, I don't recommend playing Doom3 or you will end up like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYW4iPhGPD8 :lol:

humbug
26th Aug 2007, 20:34
That has got to be the funniest thing I have ever seen! I got Doom 3 the other day haven't played it yet, it can't be the scary can it?

Boobytrap
26th Aug 2007, 21:22
In short: yes it can :D It's certainly the scariest game I have ever played but after a while you get used to it...

humbug
26th Aug 2007, 21:27
Well I'm sure I'll be ok, must remember not to dim down the lights. Fear was a bit like with the visions you experience but once you get used to the visions its not too bad!

NightRain'06
26th Aug 2007, 23:02
Anyone ever tried playing with the brightness as low as possible so you could barely see where you're venturing ? In the cover of "darkness" that probably would scare me even more. Just watching animals' eyes moving about. I don't know.... :o
Maybe I should test that out...