PDA

View Full Version : 18. What sort of modding/admin tools would you like to see in the next BSM? (PC Only)

chip5541
10th Jul 2007, 09:16
Here it is. the question you have been waiting for.

chip5541
10th Jul 2007, 12:32
I am not a modder in any sense of teh word but scripting tools would be one way so we can script our own missions for SP maps.

It3llig3nc3
10th Jul 2007, 13:39
Let me ask something here immediately: Why PC only?
I mean the XboX360 and the PS3 (if BS:M2 will get developed to that as well) have the means of allowing users to create some kind of a mods. Scripting and map design at least?

So what is against having these on the XboX 360 version?

-=)CSF(=-Akagi
10th Jul 2007, 15:44
18. What sort of modding/admin tools would you like to see in the next BSM? (PC Only)

1. server password
2. server kick/ban function
3. map editor
4. max. ping filter
5. enable/disable friendly fire
6. server ranking (like mani admin plugin)
7. mapvote

AKAGI

Kai Robin
10th Jul 2007, 15:49
Let me ask something here immediately: Why PC only?
I mean the XboX360 and the PS3 (if BS:M2 will get developed to that as well) have the means of allowing users to create some kind of a mods. Scripting and map design at least?

So what is against having these on the XboX 360 version?

haha! Sorry intelle, but modding is the PC side the field, and I don't mind leaving your console in the dust ......:rasp:

Ok, back on topic.

This game IS PINING for modability. Obviously scenario editor and mission scripter. What we really need though is the GAME ENGINE BE OPEN TO MODDERS!!!

Anyone ever play Jedi Outcast...or anything based on an Unreal Engine? Its the most fun you could have in a game because of the limitless possibilities modders come up for you to download. That's what will keep the fanbase going.

On that note as well, ship creator! It would be awesome if they could come up with a decent ship design system.

Really the devs should look at playing Warship Gunner 2, yes its ridiculously outlandish but the ship design system was awesome.

Basically you picked a hull size, and the hull could hold x-amount of tonnage for weapons ect. Each ship had to have a bridge and from their you placed your weapons, what made it really interesting is that you had to include spacing for the engines and turbines as well as smoke-stacks which affected spacing, as everything took up a solid 3-d amount of space. It was great because you were free to your hearts content but actually had to think about what you were making.

It3llig3nc3
10th Jul 2007, 16:17
haha! Sorry intelle, but modding is the PC side the field, and I don't mind leaving your console in the dust ......:rasp:

Well first of all I own PC and not XboX360 so I'm not trying to argue for that reason.
Second: the fact that consoles does not have modding NOW, should not mean it can't be expected in the future. After all the key is to create and release innovative titles that are DIFFERENT and BETTER than the ones on the market.
So if 2 years from now a title comes out with modding options for XboX360 wouldn't it be a GOOD thing?
If you never challenge the status quo you never advance. That's not a good mindset for me.
The only question is if it is TECHNICALLY possible to enable modding on XboX360 - and as far as my understanding goes the answer is: YES.

On topic:

The ship builder is a great idea.
I have been thinking about that too. Have some flexibility as how you upgrade and develop the ship. Just in brackets - Silent Hunter 3 also has this, nicely implemented by the way..
If we want to emphasize the ACTION element we could take this ship builder right into the game - even on-line. Just like Counter Strike: Source has the "BUY TIME" at the beginning of the rounds we could give 1-2 minutes for the players to outfit their ship with weapons from a limited budget :D

When it comes to server control and functionality the "GOLD STANDARD" for me is Valve's console, e.g. Half Life 2 / Counter Strike Source series.
It has everything and what is not possible by the standard custom-addons can expand it. Simply the best for me.

Dremora Warlord
10th Jul 2007, 18:02
I agree. I am a 360 player, but am not a noob when it comes to modding. I would like a simple modding tool, not something like hex editing, something simple. Maybe even something like Far Cry where a player could make their own maps and share it with friends. This would add HUGE replay value.

Cpt.sharp
11th Jul 2007, 09:05
I think it should come with an easy to use mission editor.
One with some set maps but you can place units, AA guns, Forts, airfields and docks were you want them.

Secondly i think there should be a more indepth modding tools for major mods. I want to be able to create my own ship using a modeling program and upload it into the game, and also to share with the BSM community. I also would like to script missions, create maps for SP and MP to share.

chip5541
11th Jul 2007, 12:22
The inclusion of a 2 layer tool set. 1 for beginners and 1 for more advanced.

CrisGer
12th Jul 2007, 19:45
Several ways to look at this question.

The game as is begs for more tools to mod with, especially campaigns and maps, with modern software possiblities for accurate map translation (ala Google mapping) we could literally create maps for any significant campaign area, and this would greatly enhance the playability..

On the question of a ship mod feature:

This extends the game into uncharted areas for any naval wargame to date, literally to allow a gamer to have unlimited access to moding naval history of this era and potentially any era with adequate library of ship info, types, and capacities.

There are some questions I have about this though, as it could lead to some very wild and hairy variations and literally make the game into a fantasy factory and leave behind the adherence to historic accuracy that I like so much as things are.

If the ship making mod tools were restricted to realistic logistics, and ship capacities, design possibilities and armament restricttions, (i.e. no 25 " guns on a cruiser hull).....i might be more comfortable with this idea but I do have some concerns. I think this game and future releases in the series needs to stay strongly in the true to history area. Naval history offers so much to study, learn and understand, but it was always based and totally dependent on the real time limits of men, and material that created the events that actually happened. Ship design was dynamic and undergong great changes in this era, which is one of the things that is so intriguing to a naval enthusiast or historian or researcher about the era 1939-1945. The Big ship era was on its last legs, during WWII big ship gun platforms literally disappered from reality and the lingering examples were dinosaurs past their time. Flat tops were undergoing great changes in theory and practice, and the war was the modern carrier brought into full flower as a capable and central unit for any naval strategy. Undersea warfare tactics and tecnology was undergoing equally great changes and development as was naval air power, and logistics support, in fact I cannot think of any era in naval war that was more characterized by great changes in design, doctrine and unit characteristics than this one.

I know of some remarkable failures of naval design of this era as well and examples of supurb design that were not used correctly or to their full potential, as with the I 100 class IJN boats, and IJN submarine doctrine in general, the Italian superb heavy and light cruiser classes, which were never used to their full potential, some of the excellent Kriegsmarine ships that were intended for a balanced fleet development that Hitler's overly hasty and totally amateurish interference with naval strategy rendered useless, some interesting experiements in design by both the US and the British that were often rushed into production or made usless by overloading a ship class with too much top hamper, and more. There were some funny examples, the Japanese were stealing ship design data and designs from the US through espionage, and so the bright boys at the fledgling Naval Intel slipped them some faulty designs for cans, and when they were launched they turned turtle, :)

But I dont mean to run on, just make the point that ship creation modding needs to be balanced and restricted by good intel on what was actually possible ....to say nothing of realistic balance of armor, propulsioin, fuel capacity and operational charcteristics needing to be coded in, as not many will have access to or knowledge of such details of class design and characteristics or the libraries of data to find it all.

But yes Mod tools please of all kinds woudl be great.

It3llig3nc3
16th Jul 2007, 00:10
Just one last note on the "modding is for PC only" story.
Having seen the E3 2007 announcements it become clear that the modding for consoles is not only the future but almost reality. The P3 is introducing Unreal Tournament III and it will have a feature to bring over mods from the PC platform.
So there you go... ...a future title like BS:M2 will have to cope with that - for sure.

chip5541
16th Jul 2007, 09:29
Nuts I was going to say that. UTIII is a good example and I hope others *cough* follow suit. :whistle:

Sith Darthfoxx
16th Jul 2007, 23:31
I think it should come with an easy to use mission editor.
One with some set maps but you can place units, AA guns, Forts, airfields and docks were you want them.

Secondly i think there should be a more indepth modding tools for major mods. I want to be able to create my own ship using a modeling program and upload it into the game, and also to share with the BSM community. I also would like to script missions, create maps for SP and MP to share.

I'd love to be able to do this with the 360, not at the expense of everything we've covered so far in the topics, but it's something I'd definetly use if included.

Dogmeatz
17th Jul 2007, 08:19
Mod tools - to change units stats and skins
Map Editor - To make sinlge and multiplayer maps.

Friendly fire on off i dont think is a good idea myself, sorry akagi. ;)

Option for Host to set Realistic Damage On or OFF. IE so you can play with damage like it is in Veteran SP, ie ignore a fire and your ships will so be dead.

Of course with these features we wouldnt need any DLC content, but honestly DLC is the most retrograde step games have made in a long time. Pay for what we could always make ourselfs before, do they think we were born yesterday??? Edios dont follow EA and others in a practice that is rapidly turning those companies name to mud amoungst gamers.

Xbox pple im sure would love a chance to use these options aswell, but i think its more a financial question rather than a technical one why they dont get em ie. Greed.