PDA

View Full Version : Why so limited with weapon choices?

Shaidester
9th Jul 2007, 22:19
I, like many other Tomb Raider fanatics, have just sprung back into Tomb Raider. I just picked up this game a week ago, first buying Anniversary three weeks ago and now Legend. I must say, CD did a great job with this game, but I felt kind of furious how you could only keep two weapons. I just recently beat Legend, and managed to get 100%, but now I realize how it doesn't keep the same feeling with weapons as in the previous games. I can see how they're being realistic here but come on! The backpack is the same as the Anniversary is, and throughout Anniversary, you picked up a variety of weapons (three you find, one pair of pistols starting with to be exact). It's just kind of "lame" how you could only keep two weapons, and you had to keep the pistols. Does anyone else think this? I hope in the next game that they would at least allow you to keep three, or maybe four weapons at the most.

Swatcat
9th Jul 2007, 22:35
I agree it could have at least be 3 guns.
But other then that, I don't mind really since the combat parts are like
ripping of a band-aid to me: Get it over with fast!
(So I can go on with the game)

What weapons I use to kill doesn't really matter in this game to me.
Although I wouldn't mind a rocketlauncher in that backpack :D

Shaidester
9th Jul 2007, 22:46
I agree it could have at least be 3 guns.
But other then that, I don't mind really since the combat parts are like
ripping of a band-aid to me: Get it over with fast!
(So I can go on with the game)

What weapons I use to kill doesn't really matter in this game to me.
Although I wouldn't mind a rocketlauncher in that backpack :D

I think CD wanted to go into a more realistic approach though, which is why they decided two guns over *enter variable here* guns. A rocket launcher wouldn't really be realistic, but maybe a pair of uzis, or something of such. I do really like the combat, makes me feel like I am playing Metal Gear Solid with a new plot. I just hope they include one more, or maybe two more guns instead of just two.

J_B_G_
10th Jul 2007, 02:27
Maybe the weapons choices in Legend were a matter of cutting down on writing multiple scripting to accommodate all the various damage potentials of each type of gun. You noticed that every so often you got to choose what to use for the next area and it was only one other choice and probably the weapon they thought would work best. It wasnt really a choice it was more of leading. Just a thought.:) I'm glad TRA returned the multiple arsenal tho we will have to see if thats going to be the case for the next game.

Cyber Mantis
15th Jul 2007, 21:49
I didnt care for the TRL weapon system either. My main gripe is it pretty much only made sense for me to keep the M-16 and I never really used weapons like the grenade launcher or shotgun all that much. Why drop a assualt rifle with hunderds of rounds for 3 shots in the grenade launcher.

I never really bought the its more realistic argument, since in this game we are fighting giant sea serpents and weilding a magical excalibur. Thats alot more unrealistic then carrying 3 or 4 guns

Shaidester
16th Jul 2007, 16:50
I never really bought the its more realistic argument, since in this game we are fighting giant sea serpents and weilding a magical excalibur. Thats alot more unrealistic then carrying 3 or 4 guns

Well, most games (adventure/action) are based on a fantasy world in some way. I think CD wanted to make Lara more like a Human, and a normal human can't carry around six, seven guns, etc. If you ask me, just keep Lara the old school way :$.

ditom
17th Jul 2007, 06:38
I use only pistols so it doesn't matter for me.

Bampire
17th Jul 2007, 06:51
I didn't bother with the weapons in Legend, because they were annoying to toy with, so I kept with the Pistols along with the Excalibur.

And in anniversary/TR1 she originally had that many weapons, same ones, also.

exmachinad
20th Jul 2007, 23:17
Normally I stick to the pistols unless fighting a tough enemy (like a boss).

Legend's weapons are fine by me. It's not a shooter at all, anyway; it's supposed to be more an adventure/exploration game. ;)

digifan
3rd Aug 2007, 14:34
Well, Lara can only carry a limited amount of amno in her bottomless backpack ya know. :rasp:

She has the rifle, her singature dual pistols, gernades, an ozzi and sub-machine guns. I can't imagine her carrying a bozuka or a mini gun around, can you? That would be Ripley's job. :D

Shaidester
3rd Aug 2007, 14:36
Well, Lara can only carry a limited amount of amno in her bottomless backpack ya know. :rasp:

She has the rifle, her singature dual pistols, gernades, an ozzi and sub-machine guns. I can't imagine her carrying a bozuka or a mini gun around, can you? That would be Ripley's job. :D

If you had played the previous games (most of them but one I believe and Legend), this was the first one that actually limited your weapon choices. Chronicles was the other, I think.

Tombstone2
3rd Aug 2007, 14:51
I think the whole game was a bit lame to be honest, not just the fact of only carrying 2 guns. I accept that the devs are trying to make lara and her moves more realistic but WHY? its a game and imo, being more realistic does not make for a better game...!!!