PDA

View Full Version : Decision to make enemies disappear

H.Limmen
9th Jul 2007, 21:49
Why did Eidos and Crystal Dynamics decide to let the enemies disappear??

I don't get it at all.

Below Zero
9th Jul 2007, 21:58
Most games do that, as soon as you "pump some lead" into a enemie and they fall to the ground, 20 seconds later they disappear. I never liked that in games:( . I wish the bodys wold stay there because it makes it more real, but what are you ganna do?

H.Limmen
9th Jul 2007, 22:06
You're right, there is nothing to do about it, I just want to know the reason why they chose to let the enemies disappear.

Below Zero
9th Jul 2007, 22:47
I dont know if they choose to let the enemies disappear or if they have to let the enemies dissapear. Mabey for technical reasons they cant keep the enemies on the screen. Thats a good question though.

Tyron
9th Jul 2007, 23:43
Why did Eidos and Crystal Dynamics decide to let the enemies disappear??

I don't get it at all.

Your question has a simple anwer, The reason why bodies dissapear is beacuse the game is teen rated, wich means its been made for tenagers,wich also means:
1.No Blood
2.Bodies Disappear
3.No strong language

So the answer to your question is:

They had to decrease the violence in the game as much as they can!;)

Lectrician
10th Jul 2007, 05:15
I would buy into that answer except for the fact blocks and debris you blow away or pull down also disappear.

I think it's mainly so the PC doesn't have to continue rendering it and thus freeing up video memory so the game runs better.

What's the difference once you've blown the enemy to kingdom come if the corpse stays there?

BLOWHARD
10th Jul 2007, 05:23
I had always though it was to save memory drain. Once that creature or person is dead they drop it from what is actively being rendered.
I might be wrong but it seems plausible.

Any TR Dev guys here?

Qbert
10th Jul 2007, 05:38
I'm blaming the ratings board. Everything else is just an excuse.

Squishy
10th Jul 2007, 05:49
First time I killed a bear I didn't realized I'd killed it cause it vanished while I was running away so I ended up standing on a ledge for ages waiting for the bear to come out before i finally plucked up the courage to go find it and found out it wasnt there anymore :lol:

Qbert
10th Jul 2007, 06:01
I've had wolves vanish on me like that sometimes. I could be busy dodging one of them and I'd never realize I already got him.

Demarest
10th Jul 2007, 06:47
First time I killed a bear I didn't realized I'd killed it cause it vanished while I was running away so I ended up standing on a ledge for ages waiting for the bear to come out before i finally plucked up the courage to go find it and found out it wasnt there anymore :lol:

Been there done that. Otherwise, I'd say exactly what Lectrician did.

boots
10th Jul 2007, 07:06
That's really the worst thing about the enemies vanishing... I'm constantly losing track of them and thinking they're still roaming around, waiting for them to reappear but they never do. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's some combination of the engine limitations and rating system, actually, but mostly just to keep the game running smoothly. Would have been cool if you had the option to leave it in, though.

edit: Although they left the t-rex in, but come on, that's a t-rex. CD would have been lynched if they hadn't let players climb around on that thing. :D

Dimz
10th Jul 2007, 08:24
excess objects on screen kills framerates , noone wants to be the minimum specs guy lagging around just cause of some bear on screen and a few blocks he pulled down .

i run mine on a vaio notebook which is pretty beefy but didnt cost a whole lot so i am happy with the game the way it runs . since im a mostly a FPS gamer i find that im too busy to even notice that theyre gone , i just left them for dead .

The_Hylden
10th Jul 2007, 10:54
I think it's mainly so the PC doesn't have to continue rendering it and thus freeing up video memory so the game runs better.

Yup, which is why the game is so minor and upload. I mean, it only takes like 2 Gigs. it also runs about as smooth as silk, even amped up at 1600 X 1200, all of the perks switched on, 4 x anti-aliasing, etc. I also want to express that in this game for PC and Legacy of Kain: Defiance, I LOVE that they have the save progress automatically at check-point feature. Just in case. I mean, my PC only ever crashed like once for Defiance, but having that saved my bacon:p It's a really good feature, and this game playing with such a minimum upload is great.

TR4ever
11th Jul 2007, 11:23
I hate that too, and i also hate when lara dies on spikes, instead of getting stuck in the spikes she just flyes 3m away, common thats not reallistic, Tomb Raider has many lessons to learn from Metal Gear Solid 3 in terms of these kind of things.

H.Limmen
11th Jul 2007, 20:18
Why, in the hell , don't they make a feature to switch enemies corpses on/off??

Cyber Mantis
12th Jul 2007, 00:59
Yeah its a trick game makers use to save memory once a enemy is dead the game no longer needs to remember where all those polygons are. Many games use it and I was never fond of it. I love being able to look down and see all your fine work

dangerdork
12th Jul 2007, 22:00
If it was a ratings issue, then why in the world did they leave the only HUMANS you kill in the game (Natla's goons just before you go in The Great Pyramid) with no corpse decay? It seems like the rendering is insignificant in terms of system resources, and the collision detection is off (so what if you can walk through them). I think it's just become a gaming convention to have them vanish, and I don't like it either.

I got many, many hours of replay value out of the original by running around levels spawning as many animals as I could and then running away from them, til finally I wound up in one place with 15-20 animals to kill and fought them all at once. (This was particularly good in Vilcabamba and Palace Midas). Unless you can have a giant pile of bodies to giggle over afterwards, this activity is (even more) pointless....

Demarest
13th Jul 2007, 02:00
Pardon my off-topicness, but you might very well have the coolest username ever :)

dangerdork
13th Jul 2007, 14:53
Pardon my off-topicness, but you might very well have the coolest username ever :)

Thanks man, I've always thought it was pretty good :D

aussie500
13th Jul 2007, 16:15
Well the bodies have been disappearing in Tomb Raider games for a while, it is hardly like it is something new or something only Crystal Dynamics does. No doubt it is something to do with memory, most games seem to have vanishing corpses.

Below Zero
13th Jul 2007, 18:30
Welcome to the fourms Dangerdork.