PDA

View Full Version : 16. Would you consider purchasing downloadable content?

chip5541
9th Jul 2007, 09:09
What is the key driver for this purchase? (Please state if Xbox360 or PC)

Scipio65
9th Jul 2007, 12:48
XBOX360
I would definitely consider purchasing DLC.

I would rather see at least three MP maps for a $5 download, than just 1 MP and 1 SP map. But there wouldn't be much consideration beyond that. This game screams for more DLC.

Saki1211
9th Jul 2007, 13:05
Xbox 360

The key driver for me would be MP maps. MP is where I live at on this game. I only redo the SP missions to be competative with Mortal, Sith and the few other's that are in the top ten on the leaderboards.

The downfall for me on the DL content is the fact that after the Iowa Pack was released we got no help on how to use the Sibuyan Sea map and the community went through alot of headache's to figure out how to use the map without it locking up the 360. I want to see some more support from ya'll with this game. We still havent even heard of the problem with Sibuyan Sea being fixed yet.

Lexxy
9th Jul 2007, 13:27
It's a difficult question which depends entirely on the game and what content is being offered. My view is somewhat extreme on this most likely.

As a general rule of thumb though, on the PC, I hate being milked for money - I don't purchase "booster" expansions. New maps, new units? Spare me. Proper titles let skilled community members do this for free - and the Business *still* thrives because to play this new communiy map, or amazing community mod - people have to purchase your original title. Purchasable DLC's are to me, just another step in the commericialized, IGA-riddled-esque gaming direction.

On the other hand, I'll be proverbially one of the first to jump up and purchase the next Half-Life 2 episode from VALVe. In content terms, episodes thus far have introduced new maps, new enemys, new actor scripts and new technology to the game engine ~ not so much different to any expansion pack: however, Half-Life 2 is telling a very high quality story - It's like purchasing the next book in the series. I'm happy to do it, to see how the plot develops - theres skill, theres art to story telling - it's not just a sorry collection of maps and units.

Directly in terms of BSM - the answer has to be no. Although, if the folks at EIDOS release another, and it happens to include a map editor: yeah I'd pay for that.

Look after your community! In the same fashion as you already have with this DLC, in the next title - throw us some free content every now and again and we'll be buying your next 3rd title.

-Lexxy.

Dremora Warlord
9th Jul 2007, 15:30
Xbox 360

The key driver for me would be MP maps. MP is where I live at on this game. I only redo the SP missions to be competative with Mortal, Sith and the few other's that are in the top ten on the leaderboards.

The downfall for me on the DL content is the fact that after the Iowa Pack was released we got no help on how to use the Sibuyan Sea map and the community went through alot of headache's to figure out how to use the map without it locking up the 360. I want to see some more support from ya'll with this game. We still havent even heard of the problem with Sibuyan Sea being fixed yet.

That basically sums it up.

sblendo
9th Jul 2007, 19:10
xbox 360

YES i would purchase more DLC.

this is from my other post, sorry for repeating:

"It if I'm paying money for a game and it's use is done, than yes I'd pay for more content that keeps me playing while waiting for a sequel. I pay for another drink when my glass is empty at a bar. Why wouldn't I pay more for more content if it adds to the fun and keeps a game fresh?"

key drivers in my order of importance:

1. Maps

2. Game types

3 Units

It3llig3nc3
10th Jul 2007, 02:03
This opinion is for PC

My personal opinion is that if the title for which the DLC relates is something I really like I do consider purchasing DLC.
It is no big science that the key deciding factor on the DLC is usually the price/value ratio. (assuming the product is OK).

One thing I really sensitive about: the DLC should have some "extra" over the game, even if it is a tiny little thing but should point FORWARD. Adding a few extra units for example is not something I would care about - unless it is introducing a "new class" that has not been there before (e.g. if BS:M DLC would have added ships capable of laying down sea mines for example)
New maps are a controversial topic for me: although they seem to be a huge "value added" it can also appear as a "money mill" especially if a map editor is not released for the title.

Commercially the DLC for me is a "tool" to extend the product's life-cycle and freshen up the interest towards it. The key is to avoid making the DLC look like some leftover from the original product. That is a great mistake. In case there are things that the DEV team feels should go into the original title, take the time and put it in. Even if it causes some delays...

Shamrock
10th Jul 2007, 18:27
I'm not buying any content unless it's a value. People don't mind paying 5-10 dollars for content, but that content better be rich. Releasing 1 multiplayer map is not even remotely close to supporting a game.

If you want to charge 10 dollars you need to make at least 5 multiplayer maps. I'd also suggest Edios splits their content packs up. Not everyone wants single player maps and not everyone wants multiplayer maps. We shouldn't be forced to purchase things we don't want. For instance I was charged 6/7 dollars for the content in BSM and never touched the single player content. I would of preferred to pay 2/3 dollars just for the multimap.

Dogmeatz
11th Jul 2007, 06:48
Im not to sure of making addons that are sold is the way to go, as it is really a bit of a de evolution of games. Adding new maps or modding for new units has been standard fare and free for gamers for the last ten years. Some accountant denying the community that feature just so they can score some pennys by selling what the community if given the tools could make for itself is a little loathsome in my very humble opinion.

"The good lord made the wide open fields,
then the devil invented barbed wire.
some wise dude ;)

Sith Darthfoxx
11th Jul 2007, 09:50
xbox 360

YES i would purchase more DLC.

this is from my other post, sorry for repeating:

"It if I'm paying money for a game and it's use is done, than yes I'd pay for more content that keeps me playing while waiting for a sequel. I pay for another drink when my glass is empty at a bar. Why wouldn't I pay more for more content if it adds to the fun and keeps a game fresh?"

1. Maps

2. Game types

3 Units

Xbox360 User and Yes to the above.

Cpt.sharp
12th Jul 2007, 08:58

1. Maps

2. Game types

3 Units

i would agree with thism but the thing is, If there is a mission/map/unit editor/modding tools, would there be a need for DLC that you have to pay for?

CrisGer
12th Jul 2007, 19:29
Yes absolutely. I invest on a regular basis in ay add ons in any game that I am interested in, and would support payment to help defray the costs of development, it is much more supportable to the numbers crunchers at the production company to see income continuing past initial unit purchase and would be happy to help make that a selling point for support in company for new releases and ongoing support.