PDA

View Full Version : Wife bought PC-DVD....I don't have a DVD ROM

Rear-View
9th Jul 2007, 02:58
:mad2:

First of all, hello. New guy here. I've been watching Lara's behind since TR1, and have owned and played all TRs since, but I've never once in ten years gone to a TR community online till now.

I have been a part of other online communities in the past, even have been semi-famous in a few, but have been away from forums like this one for some time now.

Any-who, I work a lot of hours, and asked my wife to pick me up TR Anniversay for me. I asked her to read the minimum reqs over the phone to me to make sure it would work on my comp. She failed to mention it required a DVD ROM, in which I do not have. (I'm not sure if there is a PC-CD version or not).

So anyway, I get home for work, excited to play a "new" TR game and I take one look at the box and the DVD ROM tag and almost cry. Nothing ever goes my way. :(

Because so many new games use DVD, I'm just gonna buy a DVD ROM instead of exchanging the game. But the wife (who controls the pocket book) says I have to wait to pay day, this Friday before I can get it. :eek:

So here I sit, with a TR:A box in hand and a new TR community to join and no ability to play. Heh.

I did download the demo from the site, and shall saunter off to play that for a week until I can get a dang DVD ROM.

/sigh

Captain Mazda
9th Jul 2007, 03:02
There is no CD version. Honestly, DVDs have been the norm for years now. Just go pick up a drive for $40. I'd much rather have the game in one handy disc rather than fumble around bulky cases and 5 discs.

Demarest
9th Jul 2007, 03:05
Because so many new games use DVD, I'm just gonna buy a DVD ROM instead of exchanging the game. But the wife (who controls the pocket book) says I have to wait to pay day, this Friday before I can get it. :eek:

OUCH! And here, reading your topic, I thought I was going to be all clever and state the obvious. Did you try reasoning with her that it was her fault? It could mean you start playing tomorrow, if only having to sleep on the couch one night :lol: The good news is that DVD-ROM's are dirt cheap these days. So much so that you might as well get a quality burner, which can be had for as low as $35US.

Rear-View
9th Jul 2007, 03:06
There is no CD version. Honestly, DVDs have been the norm for years now. Just go pick up a drive for $40. I'd much rather have the game in one handy disc rather than fumble around bulky cases and 5 discs.

Yes, I did mention that I would.

I wouldn't call DVD the "Norm", but I would concede they are ever-increasing. Soon CD-Rom will go the way of the VHS tape, and the Beta tape before that, and the audio tape cassette before that and the eight-track tape before that and the vinyl record before that and the stone tablet before that......

Rear-View
9th Jul 2007, 03:10
OUCH! And here, reading your topic, I thought I was going to be all clever and state the obvious. Did you try reasoning with her that it was her fault? It could mean you start playing tomorrow, if only having to sleep on the couch one night :lol: The good news is that DVD-ROM's are dirt cheap these days. So much so that you might as well get a quality burner, which can be had for as low as $35US.

I found one online (no burn) for $35 that I can pick up at the local circuit city...but she has already plotted out the weeks cash flow down to the dime and if Im lucky she may spring for it early on Thursday. Dang I hate my direct deposit pay check. She has it withdrawn and away from me long before I can get to it. :(

boots
9th Jul 2007, 03:23
Yikes! You have my sympathies - things like that happen to me constantly (although I don't have a wife guarding my bank account on top of it :rolleyes: :D )

Don't worry though, it'll be well worth the trouble. It's an excellent game. :thumbsup: Here's to hoping she'll let up early!

Below Zero
9th Jul 2007, 03:27
Welcome!! Ooo...feel sorry for you. When you do get to play it, hope you like it!

Rear-View
9th Jul 2007, 03:27
Yikes! You have my sympathies - things like that happen to me constantly (although I don't have a wife guarding my bank account on top of it :rolleyes: :D )

Don't worry though, it'll be well worth the trouble. It's an excellent game. :thumbsup: Here's to hoping she'll let up early!

Thanks, I'm not too proud to take sympathy at this point. I jest when I say it bothers me my wife controls the finances. If I had the money we would soon be broke and on the street I'm sure.

Although I'd have a computer with a DVD drive.....

Demarest
9th Jul 2007, 03:31
I found one online (no burn) for $35 that I can pick up at the local circuit city...but she has already plotted out the weeks cash flow down to the dime and if Im lucky she may spring for it early on Thursday. Dang I hate my direct deposit pay check. She has it withdrawn and away from me long before I can get to it. :(

My sympathies for your cash lockout. In regards to your hardware choice, may I introduce you to Pioneer Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache E-IDE/ ATAPI DVD Burner - OEM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129007)? Top notch manufacturer, reputable vendor, shipped to your door, and it's a dollar more than you're talking, but is also a CD/DVD burner to boot ;)

Rear-View
9th Jul 2007, 03:42
My sympathies for your cash lockout. In regards to your hardware choice, may I introduce you to Pioneer Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache E-IDE/ ATAPI DVD Burner - OEM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129007)? Top notch manufacturer, reputable vendor, shipped to your door, and it's a dollar more than you're talking, but is also a CD/DVD burner to boot ;)

Cool thanks! However 2 out of the 3 reviews on that page mention the following

Great drive, short lifespan. and
Didn't have any problems with it while it worked. It should have lasted longer than 3 months.

I think I'll go with something local I can return easily if need be. ;)

Demarest
9th Jul 2007, 05:15
Hey, you have to go with what feels right for you. I've had mine for a lot longer than that. And after Plextor, Pioneer has had the best name in DVD burners.

Rear-View
10th Jul 2007, 03:47
Well. the wife broke down and let me get the DVD drive.......now I can't get it to work. :mad2:

It's a simple plug and play drive. I took out the old CD drive, and put in the new dvd drive. everything fit fine, but when I go to restart my computer it does not boot up, the screen shows the three color screen test box and the mouse doesn't power up. I don't hear the start up beep, nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong, or is there an installation step missing from the directions?

Demarest
10th Jul 2007, 04:12
There's going to be two cables that plug in. One has but four wires. The other has 40 pins. Both should be molded in a way that only allows them to be plugged in one way, so that shouldn't be the issue.

That's not the total story though. On the back of the drive, you should see pins that allow you to make the drive master, slave, or cable select. Being an optical drive, it should probably be set to slave, but doesn't have to be. You'll need to consult your old drive to see how it was set up to know for sure.

Also, did you ground yourself before sticking your hands into the case? Also--and I know this part sounds like hocus pocus but I used to work in PC repair and have seen it work more than once--it's possible that your innards are already overloaded with static. To check for this, ground yourself, get inside the PC, and start touching things. This will allow any buildup to sink into you (you won't feel anything) and if it was preventing the PC from powering on, will now allow it to. Again, I've seen it done. In fact, there was one weekend I was working on my father's PC. Nothing I tried worked. So I took it into work (PC repair shop) and saw what they could do about it. The guy literally, ahead of anything else (which should tell you how common it can be) just opened it up and laid hands on it. It fired up first try after that. It was my first time witnessing such a thing, so my jaw was on the floor. This is a possibility ANY time you're inside the case. So since you'll have to go back in to make sure that jumper is set properly, go ahead and do that too.

Oh, and tell your wife we all say thank you ;)

Rear-View
10th Jul 2007, 04:18
Thanks Demarest. My old CD drive was set to master, so I set the jumper to master on the DVD. I don't think static is preventing start up, because when I switched back to the CD drive, the computer boots up and allows me to come to this forum to beg for help. ;)

Lectrician
10th Jul 2007, 05:10
I hope you can get it running.

Rear-View
10th Jul 2007, 05:38
I'm just stabbing in the dark here, but what about uninstalling the CD ROM's Drivers, then installing the DVD? Could this be what is going wrong?

Demarest
10th Jul 2007, 06:40
No. Optical drives don't have drivers. All MS OS'es know how to control them as I/O devices already. Besides, that's IF you could get into Windows. What your 32+ bit OS knows is nothing that would prevent your hardware from booting up. If you know for certain it's not static and the only variable is the drive, we'll start there. Even though the old one was set to master, try other jumper settings. You won't hurt the PC by choosing the wrong one, you'll just risk the computer not seeing the drive.

Oh and since we're rapidly approaching the point of irony, I just wanted to point out that you wanted to pay extra to buy locally in case you had to take it back ;) Why don't you tell us a bit more about your PC?

Rear-View
10th Jul 2007, 14:15
I'm in business! Thanks for the suggestions Dermarest. I switched it to slave and it worked fine. I have installed the game and shall begin playing tonight when I get home. I'll report my thoughts here later. Thanks again. :p

FallenxFromxLight
10th Jul 2007, 16:17
I'm in business! Thanks for the suggestions Dermarest. I switched it to slave and it worked fine. I have installed the game and shall begin playing tonight when I get home. I'll report my thoughts here later. Thanks again. :p

YAY! You will be so impressed. Best Tomb Raider game since numero 2 in my humble opinion. Enjoy.

Lectrician
10th Jul 2007, 16:21
Awesome! How do you like it?

Below Zero
10th Jul 2007, 16:24
Hope you like it!

Captain Mazda
10th Jul 2007, 20:36
I wouldn't call DVD the "Norm", but I would concede they are ever-increasing.

Perhaps you wouldn't, but the media industry sure does. The reason it is the norm is because it's on its way out, soon to become obsolete thanks to HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

boots
10th Jul 2007, 20:45
Woohoo, congratulations!

Let us know how you like it. :)

Demarest
11th Jul 2007, 04:56
Well we already know he likes it. He began by posting at a specific time of day on day one of this thread. On day two, he chimed in at about the same time of day as before, plus the time it took to try and get the drive in and deal with that fiasco. Here we are, day three, with that time of day passed, but no posts from him. I think it's safe to say that he's playing it ;)

I remember that my first time playing through, I installed it right before going to bed. Well I ended up not going to bed at all and played for the next 18 hours. By time I made it to bed, I had been up for a good 35 hours

howiesfunware
11th Jul 2007, 13:16
I'm sure it's too late to bring this up but...

But I purchased both Legend and Anniversary (as well as many other games) through www.direct2drive.com (http://www.direct2drive.com). You can download it any time you need it. No more lost cd/dvd's, registration numbers or having to have the cd/dvd in the drive when you play. Say you want to play your game a year or so later, the game you pull down is alread patched in most cases. This is the only way I purchase PC games if it's available through www.direct2drive.com (http://www.direct2drive.com).

It's pretty slick if you ask me.

Lectrician
11th Jul 2007, 13:33
Say my hard drive crashes or I simply go buy a new PC. Does direct2drive keep your purchase on file and allow you to re-download content you lose due to equipment failure or upgrades?

Xcom
11th Jul 2007, 13:41
No more lost cd/dvd's, registration numbers or having to have the cd/dvd in the drive when you play.

No printed manual, no extras, no possibility to sell on eBay if you're unhappy or bored with the game. Obviously unsuitable for people without broadband.

the game you pull down is alread patched in most cases.

Well, not if it's a new game. When publisher releases a patch, you'll wait a week on average before a patch is converted/uploaded to d2d. Sometimes it's converted really quickly, but in the extreme cases, it can be a month or even longer (ask Battlestation Midway d2d users.. ).