PDA

View Full Version : Finished and Ashamed

Seinfeld5a
8th Jul 2007, 03:54
Well, I finally finished TRA and it was by far the best game I've ever played. I'm kind of sorry it's over. Also, I'm ashamed of the complaining I did on here about certain boss battles and especially the adreneline dodge. I was just so frustrated at the time. But once I got the hang of it, it really is pretty fun, especially fighting the Abomination and Natla. The toughest part was climbing that near impossible room in the Great Pyramid. But anyone who's frustrated by it, just keep at it. If I can do it, anyone can. Also, I put the noise level lower, that helped me keep my cool. But most important, take breaks! Even if it's for a day or two. Lara will still be there.;)

Demarest
8th Jul 2007, 03:59
I'm right there with you. My first time through, there were things that were REALLY frustrating. In the end, it's only because they were new challenges for me. I came, I saw, I conquered. Now, it's child's play. Yet I can't seem to stop playing. Been through the game at least six times now. I wouldn't say best game ever, but best TR experience I've ever had.

boots
8th Jul 2007, 04:19
Helloooooo! (...sorry, couldn't help myself. It's your username. :D)

Don't feel bad, everyone goes through the same thing. It seems ridiculous when you first encounter it, but once you know what to do, it's a breeze! Well, sometimes.

I haven't completed the game yet - I'm taking my time, on the very last level but I don't want to wear myself out - but I finally worked up the nerve to replay the Egypt levels today. I loved them, but I was dreading going through those traps again and, egads, that room with the wall runs and the spinning blades (I got caught for at least a day and a half on the double wall run in that room. Hated. It.) By the time I was halfway through the level, maybe half an hour, I was wondering what the problem was in the first place. I was having fun, and feeling silly for putting it off. :p It seems a lot smaller once you actually know where you're going, too.

Well, that was a tangent, but anyway, congratulations on finishing! And that's some good advice, too. :thumbsup: I'm glad to hear you enjoyed yourself.

Now you have to go back and listen to all the commentaries, and do the timed trials.... :rasp:

WaterRabbit
8th Jul 2007, 04:45
I too finished the game (yesterday). I got the hang of the AD thing and the last two boss battles I was able to beat.

However, they were tedious to beat. I have found very few boss battle in any game more to be more than tedium. I especially dislike them in, what is essentially a 3-D puzzle game.

The checkpoint system makes certain parts of the game extremely tedious. Especially where a check point is tossed into the middle of a timed run. :mad2:

There are also some areas where the tedium is especially high like the final climb in the Great Pyramid.

Also this game badly needs a patch to fix some of the clipping problems.

When Tomb Raider first came out, it was an excellent game for its time -- easily a 9 out of 10.

The other big disappoint for me (both with TRA and Legend) was the Dirk the Daring sequences where one has to hit a direction butting during video. This must be for the console players because outside of the arcades in the early 80s this style of play is not seen on any PC game. Lame, lame, lame. I felt especially cheated when both Kord and the Kid were dealt with by this system.

Both the Kid and Pierre were a lot more fun to deal with in the original game.

However, there were some improvements over the original beside the updated graphics. The mines were much more interesting than the first, for example -- especially using posts instead of platforms to open the pyramid door. The effect was the same, however. Plus I didn't get run over by any boulders in the mine. :)

The camera worked much better than in the original Tomb Raider. There were only a few places in which the camera would lock where one couldn't move it around. For some reason, however, both in TRA and Legend they decided to have the camera lock when you have to run away from a boulder -- which makes maneuver very annoying.

So overall, this remake is well done, but some of the 'improvements' were not and I can only give it a 7 out of 10. Legend was a much better game, though it too had two extremely tedious boss battles.

lara's_bro
8th Jul 2007, 20:46
i haven't finished the game yet, i'm taking my time to really enjoy it (thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it) and it is by far the best game i have played in a long time. i might even replay it a few times which i never usually do. it is great to see that all the bits in the game i am stuck on other people have had trouble with. i just thought i was crap, none of my friends play tomb raider so i have no one to talk to:( wait a minute i can talk to you guys:)