PDA

View Full Version : If you could change one...

Below Zero
6th Jul 2007, 00:37
If you could change one thing about Tomb Raider Anniversary, what would you change and why? (Renember, it could be ANYTHING so dont be hesitant to answer:))

Ghostwolfalpha
6th Jul 2007, 01:25
Change the gold transformation scene at the Midas palace. In the original TR Lara moaned a couple times and then falls down in a big CLANK sound as her body is transformed into gold. Aside from that they need to use better model, more reflective and shiny gold texture map for the scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwWxkficW0o

Alexlovesguns
6th Jul 2007, 01:58
Its hard to pick just one..

Removing the silly checkpoint thing and having manual saves back.

boots
6th Jul 2007, 02:26
More of the smaller side rooms for more logic puzzles. :thumbsup:

By the way, Ghostwolfalpha, I love your sig. :lol:

Ricardo221
6th Jul 2007, 06:00
It's VERY hard to pick just one.

I would keep the dozen room-to-room puzzles that were removed from Atlantis. This level used to remind me of the Dragon's Lair castle where your goal was to move from one booby-trapped room to the next, figuring out how to advance through while avoiding instant death. I loved saying "Hmmm... how do I get out of this room?" and then finding the solution and getting out of the room, only to end up in another room that made me say "Hmmm... now how do I get out of THIS room?"

tiger
6th Jul 2007, 06:22
If you could change one thing about Tomb Raider Anniversary, what would you change and why? (Renember, it could be ANYTHING so dont be hesitant to answer:))

(Well, if you were CD, I'd start by saying to follow my replys, please.)

Number 1 would be a PC camera-control change, on a toggled-key, for normal movements and swings, etc. (This would be simply re-using their logic from TRA's Combat Mode for an easier-to-control and somewhat fixed-camera.)

(And if CD gave me their Console Commands, I'd probably work out lots of one-key functions for most of TRA's "control nags", from here and from ALL AROUND the web.)

But you aren't CD, so I'm just whistling or worse into the wind, mate. :cool:

Lo
6th Jul 2007, 06:24
If it's anything like Legend then I'd change the controls. That would be a dang fine start...eh....eh? ;) :D

Phlip
6th Jul 2007, 06:44
Probably the whole game so that it would be Cores TR:AE!

Jezyk
6th Jul 2007, 08:01
Definitely manual saves ;)

Bampire
6th Jul 2007, 08:04
Manual Saves.

More classic Tomb Raider Outfits.

Bringing back the small rooms, that were apart of the cistern.

Tiri Li
6th Jul 2007, 09:24
More enemies coming out of thin air. I'm scared to play TR1 because the way enemies really do come out of no-where and make me jump - even if I know its going to happen!.

Other than that, I would have liked to see Natla in her 'Queen of Atlantis' outfit more. She actually looks nice in that, in her evil sort of way.

Lectrician
6th Jul 2007, 14:01
Optional content.

By that I mean, make a purely exploration mode with no boss fights. Critters, sure. Bosses no. My enjoyment of this game comes from the exploration and finding things and solving the puzzles and not the button mashing action parts.

Again, I mean make this a mode of play and not remove them entirely.

I would also like to have immediately available outfits. We are playing a game centered around a wealthy heiress. One would think she would already own a bikini!

Tomb Radar
6th Jul 2007, 14:33
I'd replace those pole-hopping wall-slamming combinations in Obelisk Of Khamoon with wall-running and blade dodging.

tiger
6th Jul 2007, 21:25
I'd replace those pole-hopping wall-slamming combinations in Obelisk Of Khamoon with wall-running and blade dodging.

Yeah, I just completed that maze of virtually redundant (stupid?) tricks. :(
(Well, since it has a "Teen Rating" and for "toybox console-puters" then maybe we should expect lots of brain-dead arcade games to be like "TRA's thing"?) :cool:

tiger
6th Jul 2007, 21:34
Optional content.

By that I mean, make a purely exploration mode with no boss fights. Critters, sure. Bosses no. My enjoyment of this game comes from the exploration and finding things and solving the puzzles and not the button mashing action parts.

Funny, I suggested that AI-changing option to CORE, a long time ago, mate! (Basically, with any UnReal Engine game, you can simply change your character properties into almost like being a "team mate" with the creatures and NPCs, with simple internal-switch change(s).)

And since creatures should never attack each other, normally, then there it is, CD, you'd have both young and more mature (peace loving) players just exploring and simply enjoying this TRA adventure and its paradise-like nature. :thumbsup:

TheRidster
6th Jul 2007, 21:42
Its hard to pick just one..

Removing the silly checkpoint thing and having manual saves back.

I agree.

tiger
6th Jul 2007, 21:45

Or more simply put, for CD to actually do it with our PC's tra.exe, just have one Quick Save controlled by our Function keys? (Like press F5 (F10) to save and then press F6 (F12) to load that Quick Save, just like other normal and "all grown-up" puter-games do it, CD?) :cool:

boffin486
7th Jul 2007, 00:01
I would have to agree very strongly with most people - give back manual saves!!! Very, Very frustrating to always go back to a pre-determined checkpoint, sometimes way behind where you were when you 'put 1 foot wrong'....and died. :eek: The wall running is also infuriating in the extreme because if the camera angle changes while you're doing it, SO DO THE BLOODY CONTROLS!! :mad2: Definitely causes swearing if you are on a timed run to get an artefect or something else, like simply avoiding spinning blades.... This takes me back to the checkpoint saving thing...
Nuff said. :(

TheRidster
7th Jul 2007, 01:30
If it's anything like Legend then I'd change the controls. That would be a dang fine start...eh....eh? ;) :D

Nah, I thought the controls were fine;)

Mangar The Dark
7th Jul 2007, 04:03
I agree with most people... Manual saves should return. Usually the checkpoint system is okay, but there are some areas where it is simply infuriating (Damocles' room in St. Francis Folly... giant staircase in Obelisk....)

I would also say they should bring back the bullet time mode from Legend. That was more useful and more fun than the adrenaline dodge. The only time I ever really used adrenaline dodge was against the bosses. Against normal enemies, it usually wasn't practical.

Verios
7th Jul 2007, 10:46
I would also say they should bring back the bullet time mode from Legend. That was more useful and more fun than the adrenaline dodge. The only time I ever really used adrenaline dodge was against the bosses. Against normal enemies, it usually wasn't practical.

I'm going to disagree with this one, once you master the adrenaline dodge it's very useful. I've basically gone through the entire game now just using the pistols and adrenaline dodge. It makes taking down the cat mummies, centaurs (non boss ones), bears, etc.. a breeze.

Phlip
7th Jul 2007, 11:54
I half agree.

boots
7th Jul 2007, 19:47
Phlip, why only half? ;)

I'm going to disagree with this one, once you master the adrenaline dodge it's very useful. I've basically gone through the entire game now just using the pistols and adrenaline dodge. It makes taking down the cat mummies, centaurs (non boss ones), bears, etc.. a breeze.

I'm going to... agree with this. The only problem is, it can be difficult to master - if you have trouble with it, you're going to want to use it as little as possible, so it doesn't come in very handy aside from boss battles. On the other hand it's very useful for taking down tougher minor enemies... if you can pull it off, it's simply a guaranteed one-shot kill with virtually no ammo loss (using the pistols; not that ammo's really a problem in TRA). And you get it much earlier than the golden shotgun. :D

Personally though I don't think the game needs a bunch of fancy combat moves, but I can understand how a lot of players would want to spice it up. It can get kind of tedious just running around shooting things.

And for everyone else saying manual saves... yes, please. Even though I already voted. :rolleyes:

Phlip
7th Jul 2007, 19:50
Phlip, why only half? ;)
Because with checkpoints, you get to just go and do the level quickley with no kind of interruptions.
With saveing, everything stays were it was when you saved and you're at your exact position.

They both have good and bad points. Mabe there should be an option for it in future.

WaterRabbit
8th Jul 2007, 04:52

Well I am going to disagree with you on this one. AD was only useful against the boss monsters. The others die very quickly -- especially with the shotgun. By the time the AD was ready to go the monster was dead before I could activate it.

I agree with all of the rest about getting rid of the checkpoint system for the PC -- let the console users suffer with it. :rasp:

I also prefered the bullet time from Legend -- it was much more fun and had more style.

Verios
8th Jul 2007, 06:54
Well I am going to disagree with you on this one. AD was only useful against the boss monsters. The others die very quickly -- especially with the shotgun. By the time the AD was ready to go the monster was dead before I could activate it.

I agree with all of the rest about getting rid of the checkpoint system for the PC -- let the console users suffer with it. :rasp:

I also prefered the bullet time from Legend -- it was much more fun and had more style.

Suppose it depends on what difficulty you're playing on in regards to things dying before they get to you, and weapon (naturally you should be playing on hard like any real Tomb Raider would do ;) ). I just find the "bullet time" to be an overused gimic in a lot of games these days.

Jezyk
8th Jul 2007, 09:02
Because with checkpoints, you get to just go and do the level quickley with no kind of interruptions.
With saveing, everything stays were it was when you saved and you're at your exact position.

They both have good and bad points. Mabe there should be an option for it in future.
Hmm couldn't it be combined. Like - you can save at any moment, but there are checkpoints in case you save in the wrong moment and have no other savegame.
Similar saving mode was for example in Planescape: Torment.

boots
8th Jul 2007, 09:19
Hmm couldn't it be combined. Like - you can save at any moment, but there are checkpoints in case you save in the wrong moment and have no other savegame.
Similar saving mode was for example in Planescape: Torment.

:scratch: You mean like the new-area autosaves? That was pretty useful. It would make sense too... and going back a bit, Phlip has a point. I do like not having to worry about manually saving, but the checkpoints just aren't always placed very well. I've always been a fan of manual saving. Or quick-saving, but I don't think you could get that on the consoles, so that wouldn't work for me in TR. :rolleyes:

I think I've heard of something like, unlimited save-anywheres temporarily for that session, but to save permanently you need to get to a checkpoint. I don't remember where I heard something like that, but it might be another way to implement both. I think I like the 'autosave' way better though.

Heh, I really need to replay PS:T :D If only Lara wasn't taking up all my time right now!

Tyron
8th Jul 2007, 12:36
I Would Like To change The Linear Gameplay, I just think that solving puzzles in one area to unlock another, and then solve puzzles in that area to get to the third and again and again....... till the level ends when you finish the last area, man! That is so Borring!

dcw123
8th Jul 2007, 13:01
Make it scary like the classics did!!
Make options for the camera eg classic camera..
AND make mutant natla like TR1 in her skirt and bomb launcher!!

Tirinka
8th Jul 2007, 13:54
Heh, you're gonna think I'm weird, but...

More Commentaries! There weren't enough, and I liked 'em so much!

I also like the checkpoint + manual save idea, and I was thinking about that as I read this. I loved the checkpoint system, cause I always forgot to save, then ended up waaaaaaaaaaay back... T.T, but again, some checkpoints weren't placed well.

evangeline
8th Jul 2007, 15:29
Optional content.

Exactly. This is what i wish the most, i dont like the boss fights at all they get me so frustrated..

And well, i love the cinematics so i'd be very very happy if there were a little more of those. :o

Cyber Mantis
8th Jul 2007, 15:42
I would change the T-rex battle and make it more like the battle in the orginal. No fenced in arena or spikes to make him crash into. Just a straight up battle even the chance to just run from him like you could do in the orginal.

I still remember the first time I encountered him and ran for my life into a small cave thinking I was safe only to get chomped when he stuck his head into the cave entrance.

A open battle like that on the floor of the lost valley would have been more fun IMO

gbas
8th Jul 2007, 15:57
I still remember the first time I encountered him and ran for my life into a small cave thinking I was safe only to get chomped when he stuck his head into the cave entrance.

:lol: Heh, I tried to hide too...then it ate me.

I remember the TRex fight too. That fight was so scary when I first played it on my friend's brother's Sega. Of course I was only seven.

LisaB1962
8th Jul 2007, 16:29
Lara must turn and and point her weapons at the nearest enemy. This trying to find an enemy with the camera so Lara will point her weapons at it is just stupid. It's no fun trying to find an find an enemy while running around to avoid the enemies' fire. It would make the camera as it exists much more functional since resetting behind Lara would be easy if she'd just turn and lock on to an enemy.

boots
8th Jul 2007, 20:54
Heh, you're gonna think I'm weird, but...

More Commentaries! There weren't enough, and I liked 'em so much!

That's not weird at all! I was rather disappointed playing through some of the larger levels, only to find there were a measly two or three commentaries, and they were all at the beginning... :( Even the Manor had more than that! I really do hope they keep up this trend with newer games. Developer commentaries ftw. :thumbsup:

tiger
8th Jul 2007, 22:22
Developer commentaries were okay. . .

But small historical/archaeological commentaries, from Lara, would have promoted a lot of virtual reality within their TRA game, for me. (And it was kind of like all of those very fine readings about details, within the Croft Mansion, might have been of better use within the adventure, itself?) :confused:

(And if something just doesn't "fit history" or it is purely a fictional piece then simply have her talk about what it reminds her of, historically, perhaps?)

BTW, all those details about TRA relics were a VERY NICE TOUCH, CD! :thumbsup:

Werner Von Croy
8th Jul 2007, 22:26
Half of me wants to keep the Adrenelin dodge and half of me finds it very irritatiing, i would make the adrenelin dodge an optional thing where you could execute it during boss battles and not whilst trying to execute it whilst trying to kill muiltiple enemies, apart from that i wouldn't change a thing about it :D

tiger
8th Jul 2007, 22:38
(One more and then I'll shut-up for awhile.) ;)

Not having some sort of training area for RA/AD, Rage-Attack/Adrenal-Dodge, at the Croft Mansion, and then to have its training scattered through-out an actual adventure, using annoying pop-ups, seemed just a bit flaky to me, CD. :rolleyes:

While having a special Tropical Jungle/Training area, full of exotic plants and beautiful ponds, would have been so much sweeter, CD! (Heck, from outside the door to the Gym, there are two unused gates that could have easily lead to this new area, with perhaps a mechanical rhino for that very needed RA/AD "education"?) * And just add a golden "bull's ring", to his nose, to teach something about grappling and pulling on a "stunned creature", for later. * :thumbsup:

BTW, does anyone have a TRA Map-Editor handy? :cool:

never_the_same
9th Jul 2007, 09:14
i would change one detail! in trle lara's eyes is shine, in tra they forggoten to put shine in her eyes... i would put shine in her eyes!! that is the only one thing i would change!!!

:) :) :) :) :)

macstu23
27th Jul 2007, 11:10
I like the save points system. When TR1 became TR2 and adopted manual saves, it became too easy. The whole gameplay experience of carefully nursing Lara through the various traps to the next savepoint was kind of lost. I was happy they brought it back for TRL and lets face it, it's not like they were infrequent. I only started playing TRA today so I can't really comment on the frequency of save points in that yet.

If I were to change just one thing, then definitely the camera. TR1 had a 'look' button so why not now? Being able to zoom in and out of first/third person perspective is kind of a norm for most 3-D action games these days...at least it is on the games I play.

pacettid
27th Jul 2007, 11:43
Get rid of the adrenaline dodge! The way it was handled in Legend is much better suited to my playing style.

TouchOfPink
27th Jul 2007, 14:35
The game itself was perfect for me, but if I had to change one thing it would be the outfits. I would love to have more of them :)

Below Zero
27th Jul 2007, 17:48
if I had to change one thing it would be the outfits. I would love to have more of them :)

I agree, more of a outfit selection would be nice.

RitaG18
28th Jul 2007, 02:52
Just one thing? Hmm, tough choice lol This is one of the best TR games ever made, but it does have some truly mean spots. If I could change only one thing, it'd be doing something with the camera. I'm sorry, but I just can't play with the mouse. I can't. Ever since I was a kid I got used to playing with the arrows, on both PC and PS. That isn't going to change. So how do I play TRA? First of all, shooting is now moved to controls A and S instead of G and H, thus I can roll, jump, interact and shoot with one hand. The other hand is placed on the arrows, e.g. the directions up, down, left and right, instead of the planned controls (w, a, s and d I believe, don't even remember).

So far so perfect, eh? Well not so much.

The camera won't switch. If you turn left, you must stop and turn the mouse left as well. Otherwise, Lara turned left but the camera remains straight, therefore all the controls flip and left isn't left anymore but down and etc. Very, very, VERY frustrating while doing time trials, being in lava tower, picking up the damn timed relic in Mida's palace and playing through countless timed traps in Egypt.

They seriously need to consider doing something with it, although sadly, I really don't see a way they could fix it.

RitaG18
28th Jul 2007, 03:01

I haven't yet played Legend, therefore I wouldn't know what bullet time mode are you talking about, but - The AD was one of the most fun parts in game. I've never enjoyed battling like this before. The slow motion, the instant death of the regular enemy, the cool dodge effect - It was more that efficient, it was simply AWESOME! :) But of course, other than that - It was truly helpful. Killing those cat mummies and bears and pumas and whatnot was very annoying and health damaging without the AD. With the AD, one shot and it's over. At first it was hard to learn how to do it properly and then it was hard to get used to it, but now it's the only way I battle. It saves time, health and ammo and is also fun and more challenging :)

Shaidester
28th Jul 2007, 03:56
I would agree with most of the folks on this thread, but I must say... what happened to the OXYGEN BAR!? I want to have the feeling of exploration underwater, not the limitation of "hurry up, quick before I drown" everytime I enter. Really, wasn't a smart move cutting down the time on oxygen when Lara is underwater :$.

RitaG18
28th Jul 2007, 04:18
I would agree with most of the folks on this thread, but I must say... what happened to the OXYGEN BAR!? I want to have the feeling of exploration underwater, not the limitation of "hurry up, quick before I drown" everytime I enter. Really, wasn't a smart move cutting down the time on oxygen when Lara is underwater :$.

Lol yeah you're right, I haven't noticed that before. Never liked exploring underwater hehe But you can use the infinite breathe cheat after you finish the game :)

Shaidester
28th Jul 2007, 04:42
Lol yeah you're right, I haven't noticed that before. Never liked exploring underwater hehe But you can use the infinite breathe cheat after you finish the game :)

The first time playing the game around, without the CHEATS, felt awkward. It was especially hard after the Mountain Caves level, where you fell into the water and couldn't get out. It was so hard learning the controls for swimming I practically wasted a few healthpacks attempting to learn.

boots
28th Jul 2007, 04:45
I want to have the feeling of exploration underwater, not the limitation of "hurry up, quick before I drown" everytime I enter.

I felt that way even in the original game when it was nice and long. Forget about it in TRA - realism be damned, she should be allowed to stay underwater for more than ten seconds. Infinite breath is my most-abused cheat. Whoever decided to put that in for simply finishing the game is a saint.

Resy
28th Jul 2007, 06:51
manual save... but if I really needed to pick just one thing... it would be the ability to pick up every piece of ammo I came across.