PDA

View Full Version : 10. What are your thoughts on the game controls?

chip5541
4th Jul 2007, 08:10
Do you think airfield and carrier management should be simplified?

Now we are cooking!!!

Sith Darthfoxx
4th Jul 2007, 10:30
Speaking as an Xbox360 user, the Control setup is near perfect in my opinion.

Again from the 360 side of it, the Airfields and CVs are very easy to use.

No arguments on these topics from me, just add the ability to switch to AA and Coastal Battery/Fortress for Airfields/Shipyards.

sblendo
4th Jul 2007, 14:16
The 360 control scheme is excellent. Uses every button and trigger in a logical and well designed way. I wouldn't change a thing.

I would like to be able to access control options from a MP match. I don't believe you can now (During a match)

Dremora Warlord
4th Jul 2007, 16:05

No arguments on these topics from me, just add the ability to switch to AA and Coastal Battery/Fortress for Airfields/Shipyards.

I can't say it any better. Also sblendo, do you mean so you can change stuff like invert/default, southpaw, stuff like that in the game? I agree, it needs that.

Cpt.sharp
4th Jul 2007, 16:18
Do you think airfield and carrier management should be simplified?

No i think it should stay the same but adding AA guns under the users control (for airfields). At the moment everything you need for a PC user is well planed out. I dont remember a time were I had to look down at my keybored to find the right key for the right situation.

all in all its good.

-=)CSF(=-Akagi
4th Jul 2007, 16:29
i think the PC controls could be better! in any situations in match you re to much busy whit the keyboard!
for example........
steel monsters
u use the BB to attack---> you became any hits on BB--->switch whit key "R" to repair screen--->in this time the AI controls your attack (most time not very good--->you repair "fire" and switch back to in game screen---> in this time you became new hits and need "water controle" ---> "R" back to repair screen and and and.........
best should be......
repair and fight screen in 1!!
for example...........you re in battle and became hits whit "fire" the repair controls should be available whit NUM1-5 for
press in battle NUM1 3 times and all 3 repair teams switch to "fire"in this time you can fight.
NUM2 to "water control"
NUM3 to "engines"
NUM4 to "weapons"

should be for all ships the same!
also carrier controls key 1 start fighter ,key2 dive bomber and key3 for torp bomber!
in this time you never leave the in game screen!

my wishes and ideas!!
AKAGI

Kai Robin
4th Jul 2007, 17:15
i think the PC controls could be better! in any situations in match you re to much busy whit the keyboard!
for example........
steel monsters
u use the BB to attack---> you became any hits on BB--->switch whit key "R" to repair screen--->in this time the AI controls your attack (most time not very good--->you repair "fire" and switch back to in game screen---> in this time you became new hits and need "water controle" ---> "R" back to repair screen and and and.........
best should be......
repair and fight screen in 1!!
for example...........you re in battle and became hits whit "fire" the repair controls should be available whit NUM1-5 for
press in battle NUM1 3 times and all 3 repair teams switch to "fire"in this time you can fight.
NUM2 to "water control"
NUM3 to "engines"
NUM4 to "weapons"

should be for all ships the same!
also carrier controls key 1 start fighter ,key2 dive bomber and key3 for torp bomber!
in this time you never leave the in game screen!

my wishes and ideas!!
AKAGI

Akagi!!!!! You need to practice more! A good BB player is lightning-fast with these things! Can you imagine trying to play if planes had "damage control!!!?!?!" LOL.

The control setup I thought was fine, one of the best parts of the game actually. The camera is very dis-orienting at first but you get used to it, I think what we could use is better camera angles.

-=)CSF(=-Akagi
4th Jul 2007, 17:35
Akagi!!!!! You need to practice more! A good BB player is lightning-fast with these things!
lol :lol: :lol: that s a joke AERO or? more practice? :lol: :lol: could be that a good BB player is lightning fast but if you can controle it whit 1 hand and you dont leave the battle for this time "you re faster than a lightning" :rasp: :rasp:

Lexxy
4th Jul 2007, 22:40
On the PC the control system is overly simplistic for a game of an RTS nature - you can "feel" that the game was designed for a different interface. However, on the action-side - spot on. W,S,A,D (or arrows) for the win.

The controls were good, I felt, but the interface lacked modern usefulness. For example, where is box-select? Minimap? Repeating orders?

The "launch unit screen" is also terrible. It's the same race at the start of every map:

> ahh where's my CV/shipyard? *mashes Q repeatedly*
> ah! there it is! *prods shift*
> bombers bombers bombers... *clicks ONE* *clicks arrow twice for bombers* *clicks launch*
> mooore *clicks TWO* *clicks arrow once for bombers* *clicks launch*
> eeee my finger hurts *clicks THREE* *clicks launch*.

= 9 clicks in total. Heres an idea:

> Shipyard or CV, press *shift* (Bring up unit launch screen)
> Replace the "1,2,3,4" unit choice with empty boxes, which will represent active units. Beneath, pictures (icons) of the available vessels, as well as a good, clear indication of how many you have left (White overlay text). Tooltip could display vitals and unit name.
> Click a unit to launch it. The launched unit will appear in the first available empty box.

= 1 Click per unit.

Just some thoughts.

-Lexxy.

mortalstakes
4th Jul 2007, 22:45
the 360 controls are perfect - I can't think of any way to improve them

It3llig3nc3
5th Jul 2007, 04:08
This is the most painful point of the game on PC.
Also the most difficult thing for the developers to deal with in the multi platform environment. console and PC.

The core problem is that this is NOT an action only game for which the console controllers are ideal, this game has a strong RTS element where the PC is unbeatable with the freedom and capabilities the MOUSE enables.

For me, BS:M on PC is simply SUB standard in the "controls" area.Functions that were minimum expectations on PC even 5-10 years ago such as block selection, right click, drag and drop, etc...
Keyboard shortcuts are really good an needed but especially for the "strategic view" (aka MAP) the mouse is like the ultimate tool - again on PC.

My problem is that I could really detail out how this game should be working with mouse but I doubt the developers are going to listen to that as long as this game to be produced on BOTH PC and console - simply because they need to choose the solution that WORKS ON BOTH. I can just hope that 1-2 years from now the mouse is going to conquer the console world as an alternative input device... (?)

In the meantime some simple ideas for the broader meaning of controls:

1. I like the idea of the "repair screen" being actionable only "away" from the battle. It's a "trade-off" choice, a decision a human player has to make where to focus. I believe it adds to the realism. The CHOICE of striking or healing...

2. What I DO NOT like is that in action mode I even loose the OVERVIEW of the battle situation. It is one thing for me to ACTION everything on a different screen versus having INFORMATION about everything on the screen. I'm talking about "minimap" instead of radar and ship damage status icons - INFORMATION so I can DECIDE what to DO.

3. I would add controls for various sub elements: controls to manage a subset of guns independently (targetting / shooting)

4. Somebody said before - it was mentioned in the details of the question as well. The airfield and carrier flight controls are terrible - count in the shipyard
-->We need much less clicks and pushes to do what we want
-->I do not want to "select" if there is ONLY ONE CHOICE! (e.g. mini-sub yard at Sibuyan sea map) - I can ONLY launch a mini sub so be that the default!

5. I want more controls for air formation commands shortcut and organizing my squad. I want to be able to decide if the planes are lining up one after other or in a "V" shape or what... etc...

6. Depth Charge release controls on DDs are stupid. We need to change that so there is sonar screen and there is ONE button which releases a depth charge. We can't have the same "aim" type control here like for guns!

7. I would add the the realism of the gun shooting - even with unlimited total ammo I would force the player to "RELOAD" the gun - even AA once in a while after firing 1000 rounds for example...

Shamrock
5th Jul 2007, 13:47
I've never played the PC version, but this might be the one instance that using the 360 controller is actually easier to play the game than a keyboard/mouse.

If I were to buy the PC version, which I might next time because I now have a DX10 GPU. I would say that edios needs to make the 360 controller Plug and Play. People can use a wired 360 controller on PC and MS sells the wireless PC controller adapter for 20 bucks so you can use a wireless controller on the PC.

Lost Planent just released for PC on steam and after playing the demo all I had to do was plug my 360 controller into the USB port on my PC and it worked. I didn't have to map anything. It just recognized the controller was plugged in and it used the 360 control scheme automatically. It was nice and easy.

Wolfpack Apone
5th Jul 2007, 14:37

yup i agree 100%

Scipio65
6th Jul 2007, 14:12
As an XBOX 360 user there are three things I would like to see changed / added on controls. On the smaller aircraft I would like to be able to jump to the same Y button view that I get on the bombers. I hate trying to use that left joystick button feature. It's okay for clicking things, but not for holding down and looking around.

The other two items are that I would like direct control of any land based AA and fortress artillery units that I command.

Dogmeatz
11th Jul 2007, 06:27
Holy Cow been away a few days an i got some homework to do hehe

Controls were ok for PC but imho were to directly influenced by the xbox gamepad port (ie the alt menu system), PC's have keyboards and that means a few more pc Hotkeys would have been a nice addition.

Just for example being able to select mutliples squadrons and bind them to a number key for fast selection. Or hotkeys 'T' for auto torps on/off 'M' for free move on/off etc would be faster an easier than the alt menu especially dealing with heaps of little pt boats.

A few extra camera options would be nice like an observer mode etc. Not sure if there going to be a seperate camera thread. ;)

On airfield and carrier managment i like how it is, maybe if you could set a waypoint for planes to fly to after launching would be sweet. Its sorta needed to finish off the autoflightdeck cap function, so you can set up where the auto cap patrols not just above the cv.
Also i think somthing needs to be done about the time it takes to land squadrons and then relaunch to stop the rather silly practice of kamikazi just to get new squadrons. Maybe they go on autopilot on return if set that way and you get access to that squadron slot.