PDA

View Full Version : Nice looks...shame about the lack of brains!

classixuk
4th Jul 2007, 04:45
Well I've almost finished Tomb Raider Anniversary (my first tomb raider game ever played) and have to admit that the visuals and sounds were beautiful. Everything looked fantastic. No complaints there.

However, at times the game has become frustrating because of the terrible camera angles that constantly change in the middle of the wall swings! Just as Lara gains momentum she stops to a skid as the camera angle changes mid-swing. That is VERY bad!

The fancy graphics and sound will be superceded over the next 10 years by better graphics cards/technolgies etc. in hundreds, if not thousands, of PC and console games so in all honesty they don't matter. What matters is how much fun the game was to play.

The developers either need to bring out a patch to fix the dodgy camera movements affecting the gameplay or be content with a bargain bin game within 6 months (ala Theme Park World).

Visuals = 10/10
Sound = 10/10
Gameplay= 5/10

Swatcat
4th Jul 2007, 08:44
I have a very different experience with the camera, so I can not relate
to your frustrations. But I can feel sorry that this made your first
TR less fun at times =(

I had little or no problems with the camera, even with wallruns.
Ofcourse the camera is not perfect, but close enough for me.
It didn't effect my gameplay in a negative way as much as it did yours.

So If we were to have a mutual friend, this friend would
be getting two different versions if he/she asked both of us about TRA :)

You almost fisnished the game, there
must be something that made you play on.
So I hope you did had some fun, in spite of the camera =)

tiger
4th Jul 2007, 08:45
(classixuk, I have the PC version, so are you using a PC, also?)

And yeah, it is a real shame that they didn't create a toggle-key for their basic movements just like their somewhat fixed camera-view within TRA's "Combat Mode => Advance Toggle". (Which the normal player could optionally use when-ever things got too critical with complicated stunts and their cam troubles.) :thumbsup:

Heck, it is almost like CD wanted you to play against a camera problem?
:confused:

NaughtyGirl
4th Jul 2007, 11:42
Heck, it is almost like CD wanted you to play against a camera problem?
:confused:

bingo...it does actually seem to be plotted to add for increased frustration...especially when fighting. You don't even get to see Lara do her amazing moves because the camera is all of a sudden stuck to the back of her head!:mad2:

Demarest
4th Jul 2007, 13:45
However, at times the game has become frustrating because of the terrible camera angles that constantly change in the middle of the wall swings! Just as Lara gains momentum she stops to a skid as the camera angle changes mid-swing. That is VERY bad!

It's true that that doesn't seem very intuitive. What DOES is knowing that that's how it goes and countermoving the camera so that it's not a problem. You should play the time trials where you HAVE to do things like that just to make it. It's not hard at all. At least not if you're using the mouse ;)

Lo
4th Jul 2007, 15:39
Playing on the PC for me ensures that I simply need to position both hands where I have access to all of the controls - just like one does on the PS.

Having to keep removing my right hand to move the mouse I find is not only inconvenient but also ineffective during an ambush or a fast-moving part of the game. No sooner have I adjusted the camera I am left with yes, the back of Lara's head again!! I therefore just end up firing and moving around rather aimlessly (backwards usually) :p

Demarest
4th Jul 2007, 23:42
Playing on the PC for me ensures that I simply need to position both hands where I have access to all of the controls
Having to keep removing my right hand to move the mouse

That doesn't at all sond like you have positioned both hands where you have acces to all of the controls. You were right that the PC means you can do exactly that. But you should probably reconfigure your controls if ANY aspect of them is unwieldy for you.

Lo
5th Jul 2007, 11:26
That doesn't at all sond like you have positioned both hands where you have acces to all of the controls. You were right that the PC means you can do exactly that. But you should probably reconfigure your controls if ANY aspect of them is unwieldy for you.

Thanks yes I should do so however I still need to have a hand free to move the mouse. Also there are a lot more controls so I don't yet know what would suit me the best. I liked the convience of the lay-out of the default keys for earlier games as one can concentrate on the screen without physically looking at the keyboard (ALT CTRL, Space Bar etc). Now the defaults (Legend in this case) are G and H and E for action - keys which are not easy to feel around for on this minute keyboard!

This means if I am hanging with one hand on the ledge I have to be quick to locate and press 'E' before falling off and starting the tricky jump sequence all over again!! :o

It would all be so much easier if we had the option to save at leisure as opposed to the Checkpoint system!

NizCroft
5th Jul 2007, 13:57
Lo, I have my setup so that I never have to take my hand off the mouse. If you can configure your keys for something similar I think it'll be alot easier. I play on the WASD, with jump on E, grapple on Q, dodge on C (happens to be where my thumb rests) and even an alternative jump on Space, when I have no finger avaialable for E. The rest I do with the mouse, never letting go of it. It's almost like the default PC setup, really. I use the mouse to look/aim constantly, much like in a first-person shooter game. The similarities are actually striking, except the camera is a little bit further back, to show Lara.

I can imagine using Q, E, C might seem strange and hard to locate if you use the arrow keys for movement. Then perhaps you should try WASD. I used to use arrows always but changed to WASD, and suddenly the other keys were right under my fingers.

NizCroft
5th Jul 2007, 14:02
Hehe, I was just thinking about taking an old keyboard and pulling out all the keys that aren't used for Tomb Raider. :D

Lo
5th Jul 2007, 14:05
LOL that would be easier Niz! :D

Hmm WASD sounds a better option - I'll have to get used to using my left hand. I presume you use your middle finger to press the W and the S as you would use on your right hand for the up and down arrow keys? :)

Demarest
5th Jul 2007, 15:34
I think you're showing me that having a formal typewriting class is useful.

I can't speak for others, but home row is having your left fingers on ASDF. So W and S would be operated by your ring finger. For this reason, I make MOST other keys operated by my pointer finger. That gives me the option of hitting them AND directional keys at the same time. Many games use WASD, so it's a good thing to get used to anyways.

From there, I configure it like games I'm already familiar with so that the transition between games isn't disorienting. I use E for action in many game (despite it violating my directional fingers rule). Space is Jump because I'm used to that. And so on.

The most important thing is to accept that there is going to be a learning curve. If you can do that, then once you're finished acclimating yourself, you will have superior control over default settings and console users, and without having to take your hand off the mouse. This learning curve should also mean that you CAN look at your keyboard while settling it, but won't need to once you're use to it. Maybe a half hour in Croft Manor's gym will be enough.

Remember, configureable controls is one of the many reasons to have a game on PC over console. Don't let that power go wasted :)

Lo
5th Jul 2007, 15:41
Some good points and thanks for your time Demarest :)

classixuk
23rd Aug 2007, 04:09
I just wanted to return to this thread and say that I did stick with the game, despite the camera problems, and finally finished it yesterday! It has taken me this long to finish because of the dodgy automated camera angles that changed mid-swing in the wall runs on the great pyramid levels.

Also, another problem seems to be with the Logitech Dual Action gamepad and turning right - if you are suspended from your grapple or a cross-bar, the right axis is not recognised, hence you have to manually move the camera and use either left, up or down to move. Very frustrating.

Yes, I was on the PC version.

Beautiful game but the camera needs more options in my opinion.

thecoolstinger
30th Aug 2007, 20:05
Playing on the PC for me ensures that I simply need to position both hands where I have access to all of the controls

Yes!!! This is one of the most important things about playing on pc. in games like counterstrike and battlefield, you only have split seconds to act.

WarDevil
31st Aug 2007, 20:35
One thing you could try is to use a Playstation 2 controller on your PC. I've found this to be the best way of controlling the camera and movements seperately at the same time (movements on the left analog stick, camera on the right just as if you were playing on a playstation). You just need to get an adapter such as the super joy box 3 pro. The only problem I had with this is every now and then the dual shock would lock up my pc. I turned it off and all was good!

moliketombdestroyer
1st Sep 2007, 04:36
hmmm.....ppl make that complain alot and i have the computer version but i didn't find the camera angles too bothersome. I mean, a couple times it was frustrating, but then u have to adapt and i guess it's one of the challenges of the game (predicting the camera movement) hahaha.....yea, guess that's just me then..... I'd say gameplay= 8/10