PDA

View Full Version : USER INTERFACE Match him like this…

lucinvampire
19th Nov 2013, 20:38
I know this has probably been mentioned somewhere…but anyhow can’t find it via the search… :D

One thing I do think they need to make sure happens when the game comes live properly is match players together – if you are new to the game/or bad at it/awesome at it ;) then match with similar levelled PLAYERS AND OPPONENTS.

A game I played on Monday 18th was good in that some of the newbies (what I picked up from the chat) and myself were put together in a team…I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not. Though the team we were against was filled with uber players which meant it was uneven…I’m assuming this is because the alpha players are just that good...and hope normally it’d match opponents properly. Tonight (19th) at times was really unevenly placed again in that the opposite teams won quite a lot overall...

I know I’ve said this before and the guys have said that this will be applied to the actual game…I’m just really hoping it and works properly – because then it’ll be good – and give a better gaming experience/chance of winning. :D

Psyonix_Eric
19th Nov 2013, 22:07
Matchmaking players properly is something we're working very hard on trying to get right. Even internally we could see the need for it. I play rather infrequently (I tend to just watch others play so I can look for problems) but when I would I usually got destroyed pretty horribly by the guys that played all the time.

We had something initially for the alpha that we removed (I forget why now) that might make it back in later, and that is a special gametype you could search for that would only allow in players under a certain level. Essentially the noob zone. That way people would be a little more safe in there than if they jumped into the wider realm of unlimited levels.

Xaragoth
19th Nov 2013, 22:14
We actually try to game your match-making systems right now a bit. We try to search for empty games and then invite people to make two groups. It doesn't always work very well. And we even sometimes got grouped 5v3 due to it somehow. (Group of 3, Group of 2).

We reported that with screenshots to the e-mail as far as I know.

lucinvampire
19th Nov 2013, 23:15
Thanks Eric for the information, I think it definitely needs something to assist in making the environment more enjoyable for all no matter their experience, - so the best and most fun experience can be had :D glad you are looking at it or have in the past!

hirukaru
20th Nov 2013, 00:51
We actually try to game your match-making systems right now a bit. We try to search for empty games and then invite people to make two groups. It doesn't always work very well. And we even sometimes got grouped 5v3 due to it somehow. (Group of 3, Group of 2).

We reported that with screenshots to the e-mail as far as I know.

Yes reported with 3 screends and log files.
Eric, don't spectate come and get killed by Xara, plux, Ransom, Strike and the rest .

Psyonix_Eric
20th Nov 2013, 01:41
Eric, don't spectate come and get killed by Xara, plux, Ransom, Strike and the rest .

Oh, for these alpha playtests I most certainly participate. It's the internal ones I watch, just to see if there's art that needs fixing.

Xaragoth
20th Nov 2013, 03:54
Oh, for these alpha playtests I most certainly participate. It's the internal ones I watch, just to see if there's art that needs fixing.

Would appreciate less invisible wall level design, because some of them are in the weirdest places (burning house on Valeholm)

LtGiuberia
20th Nov 2013, 04:58
Matchmaking players properly is something we're working very hard on trying to get right. Even internally we could see the need for it. I play rather infrequently (I tend to just watch others play so I can look for problems) but when I would I usually got destroyed pretty horribly by the guys that played all the time.

We had something initially for the alpha that we removed (I forget why now) that might make it back in later, and that is a special gametype you could search for that would only allow in players under a certain level. Essentially the noob zone. That way people would be a little more safe in there than if they jumped into the wider realm of unlimited levels.

I noticed that most people that I matchmaked with have the same level as me. I really don't think the level tells a lot about the skill, and there should be some kind of ELO based ranking. People could get carry by high level players or someone that just plays a lot, and still gets that exp.

Psyonix_Eric
20th Nov 2013, 05:25
Would appreciate less invisible wall level design, because some of them are in the weirdest places (burning house on Valeholm)

Bug report it when you see it.

hirukaru
20th Nov 2013, 12:02
Bug report it when you see it.

Oké lets find those invisible walls then.

----------
Would also love it if humans could swim so the invisible walls around the water parts could be removed. (Just a animation and coding for the future maby)

Crusader_bin
20th Nov 2013, 20:49
Eric, you are not that bad player :)

As for the matchmaking, it might be random. But so far, all matches I played, new players get into one team, all higher ones usually get thrown into the other. Making a simple calculation for level numbers to sum up to similiar ammount should be enough for start. It should include win/loose ratio, but lvls alone mean more possibilities to buy skills, more expirience. Teams were even maybe 2-3 games total? It might be just strange luck, but so far it was the direct opposite of that (few days of testing only though).

RainaAudron
24th Nov 2013, 16:46
I have a question regarding matchmaking - can you choose from a list of servers before playing? Can you establish a lobby and invite your friends into it? Is it like the system in Left4Dead?

hirukaru
24th Nov 2013, 22:14
I have a question regarding matchmaking - can you choose from a list of servers before playing? Can you establish a lobby and invite your friends into it? Is it like the system in Left4Dead?

Dear RainaAudron,
The matchmaking will connect you to a server and you cannot pick one your self.
You can invite friends to your lobby, but this system is not working 100% atm. When you start searching for other players you will start searching for a lobby instead of players.
(Friends get kicked out and have to be reinvited when you are in a lobby.

I hope this answers your questions.

Syst3mzero
25th Nov 2013, 01:30

Yeah I have definitely swapped some deaths with him.
:)

RainaAudron
25th Nov 2013, 14:20
Thank you, hirukaru. I will be joining you soon and was wondering how it works. I hope this will be fixed.

lucinvampire
25th Nov 2013, 16:14
Raina - I can't wait to die by your hands ;)

lucinvampire
29th Nov 2013, 15:42
So I was just thinking – yep I know a rare moment – I like the fact the team created the noob area this is good :D …but not being funny or anything there is now another large gap emerging – a big skill difference between a level 5 player – when you can no longer play in the noob zone to the main area where people are now getting to level 18+

I think there needs to be either more segments for different levels of players - All levels, 25+, 15-25, 5-15, 0-5...or better yet the match making working...I'm hoping with time like Eric said they will find a solution and it'll get better :D

Though this may cause problems when playing with friends if they are different levels to you...suppose it’s a risk you take if you want to play with your mates lol.

Having the game as it is…will probably put a lot of people off – either with getting pounded constantly and living for a few moments once they get out of the noob area – I see lots of rage quit in the future… and/or you will get all the advanced players being like this sucks I want a challenge there are all these low level players getting in my way – they don’t stand a chance against me *evil laugh*.

How does it work in most other online games like this?

...Sorry I've kind of engaged grumpy parrot mode here today...

Oroibahazopi
29th Nov 2013, 15:50
There will always be people who are late to the game and not as good. One issue though is that you don't have enough gold by level 5 to have anything perma unlocked, so when you get into the bigger pool you're at a build disadvantage.

I'm personally not a fan of segregating by something arbitrary like rank, which is just time played, there needs to be some sort of ranking system. Elo or somesuch. And separate team and solo queues.

lucinvampire
29th Nov 2013, 16:10
Oroi – thank you for the info – I was under the impression that the level reflected how well you played the game not the length of time you’ve played. Then I think there needs to – as you suggested – be a ranking system.

I very much like your idea of a team or solo searches :D

...as for the gold - I assume that when the game goes live this will be the thing you can top up with real money - if you want to buy stuff out right - rather than save up by playing?

Oroibahazopi
29th Nov 2013, 16:49
Certainly seems to be a time based thing, it goes up after each match played. I've not seen mine go down yet which is what would happen in a skill ranking system eventually. Might go faster if you're consistently winning (I think you get more xp for team wins) but the level doesn't show how well you've played to get that xp, just that you've played enough to obtain it.

Yes there will be a buy option (technically I can't really make that statement as I'm not the devs but I'd be hugely surprised if the blue stuff wasn't cash shop currency). But even so smart players will play free for a while before making any buys to try the game, getting to level 5 takes too short a time and gives not enough gold for free players to compete.

Solos vs premades is hell and every game that I have been part of that launched without separate queues eventually had to change due to community pressure.

hirukaru
29th Nov 2013, 16:59
Dear Lucy,

At this moment the Dev team is working on lots of things including the matchmaking.
As far as I know they will try to make a balacing system.

The easiest way to balance games is by using the Mean.
This is done by the following.
a lvl 20 (max atm) a lvl 10, a lvl 1 and a lvl 5 = mean 9
So this means that it will search for players that equal mean 9
This can be 4x lvl 9
or even lvl 20 lvl 15, lv 1 and lvl 1 mean 9,25

Probably there will be a thing like you suggested to divide the different levels also, this can be concluded to the fact that they already build the lvl 5 new recruit zone.

Oroibahazopi
29th Nov 2013, 17:02
Using levels is absolutely horrible and should be avoided.