PDA

View Full Version : Jumping away from the wall while grappling?

BLOWHARD
3rd Jul 2007, 02:39
DAMNIT! :confused: :( :mad2:
I need help. I just can't seem to get the hang of this. I've read everything I can find on how to do it and have watched both videos about this move that are on Youtube.
I'm playing on a PS2. I'd be playing on a Mac but that's another story.
I've only managed to do this successfully 3 times, twice in the gym, I fell off the column once, and once in the Damocles room in the Folly level, and I'm stuck there. I'm one of those people who aren't compatible with the new controls and camera weirdness. The really sad part for me (:( :( :( ) is that I made this jump off the wall once, only to have her fall off the column to her death because she didn't jump when I wanted her too :scratch:

Anyway, HELP! I know some people seem to think this is the easiest thing in the game. I've tried both far right camera and directly behind camera. I've tried jumping off immediately and waiting for both short and long times after the run-swing before jumping. NOTHING IS WORKING :( She ALWAYS seems to jump in the direction of the swing, and I'm trying to be SO careful with the controls. I must have done this part 50 times or more. It seems the more I try, the harder it gets. Despite wanting to play the rest of the game badly, I'm about to give up if I can do this required move.

Any expert help?

LegendLost
3rd Jul 2007, 03:17
Basically, when you swinging on the grapple, go back and forth a few times and gain speed. then when lara is almost perfect lined up with the ledge she needs to jump to, ON HER WAY BACK after she's slowed down, hold the analog stick downish and in the direction and release the grapple. thats all i have for ya, sorry.

Ricardo221
3rd Jul 2007, 04:06
You have to remember that TRA uses a live camera system. In games like Tomb Raider 2 or Resident Evil, pressing UP makes the character run forward no matter what position the camera is in.

In TRA, pressing UP will move you forward but once you rotate the camera another direction, that same up will now move Lara behind her or to another direction.

So keeping that in mind, whenever you are doing a wall run, wait until Lara is at the top of her run ready to turn around, and then press in the direction of the ledge you want to grab. This is usually away from the wall she is on. If you are looking at an awkward angle, say top-down, then the ledge you want to grab may be a DOWN direction.

Either way, just remember to press TOWARD the direction of the ledge you want to grab or land on, and AWAY from the wall she is on.

Also, what level are you on? I'm betting you are on Obelisk of Khamoon trying to get out of the room with the giant staircase.

Demarest
3rd Jul 2007, 04:46
I know some people seem to think this is the easiest thing in the game.NOBODY thinks this is the easiest thing in the game. In fact, I believe the general concensus is that it shouldn't be in the game.

ON HER WAY BACK after she's slowed down, hold the analog stick downishI agree with the on her way back part. But I'm pretty sure part of the problem PS2 users are experiencing is because they're trying to execute this move with the analog stick. Use the Dpad so that the game knows you mean down and NOW.

And as with everything else in the game, the more you can remain calm and KNOW that it CAN be done, the easier it will be to make Lara do what you want.

BLOWHARD
3rd Jul 2007, 05:38
Thanks guys, that's a lot of good replies fast!
I was just at it again, 14 unsuccessful tries in a row :eek:

To answer some questions-

You have to remember that TRA uses a live camera system
Sad but true :( I do know this and, although it makes game play more dynamic, it also seems to be making game play infuriating to some including me.
I'm pretty sure I know exactly what the camera POV is doing, I just can't get it to work for me.

NOBODY thinks this is the easiest thing in the game
I hope not, but I've read it in other forums. I suppose, like anything, what's hard for some is easy for others.

Also, what level are you on? I'm betting you are on Obelisk of Khamoon trying to get out of the room with the giant staircase.
Unfortunately not :( I'm only on the Folly level. I did the Mansion first, and completed it after managing the same jump. There were no "away from the wall" jumps in Peru, so in the Folly is where I'm stuck.

Now on to business, hopefully with all of your help I can beat this.

I'm pretty sure part of the problem PS2 users are experiencing is because they're trying to execute this move with the analog stick. Use the Dpad so that the game knows you mean down and NOW.

I may be wrong but I see no option for changing the d-pad to anything other than weapons selection and medipacks. Ps2 offers 1 default and 3 alternate setting for the controller but none alter the d-pad settings. THIS IS REALLY A SHAME! (unless there is a setting command I don't know) With any analog stick there's always a chance of getting more than one direction in any movement. The d-pad would really be nice to have to counter what problems I'm having.
(WHERE IS THE MAC VERSION :confused: )

I've been trying to analyze what I'm doing wrong. It seems 1 of 2 things always happen. I jump in the same direction as I'm swinging, either away from the grapple ring, or back towards it. At least if I come back towards it I can usually re-grapple the ring.
It really looks like the camera angle is changing on me so that when I jump away from the wall it changes to along the wall. To clarify, I use the extreme right camera angle, I'm looking at Lara's right side and toward the column that I want to jump too. At this angle toward the column is UP and away from the column is DOWN. So away from the wall is left. I've been very careful to press just left and not add up or down.
As I understand it, I want to swing along the wall UP/DOWN until she reaches the peak of the swing and has just started to turn back. At that moment I release the DOWN back-swing, hit a hard left and jump simultaneously. Is this right? Am I not waiting long enough between releasing the direction of the swing and jumping away? Is the LEFT jumping away motion getting stuck as a continuation of swing motion? It almost has to be that or the camera reassigning that is messing up my attempts. Doesn't it?
What else could I be doing wrong?
I have also tried with a flat wall camera POV so that the wall swing is LEFT/RIGHT and away from the wall is DOWN. I get the same results.

I hope it's just some fundamental understanding of the controls and timing because if I can only do it by accident I'm in DEEP trouble...or I'll just give up :mad2:

remain calm and KNOW that it CAN be done
Great words of advice :) I do know it can be done, but how many tries will it take and will I ever get it? ;)

Ricardo221
3rd Jul 2007, 05:39
On the PS2, the D-pad changes weapons and uses medipaks. Movement MUST be from the analog sticks. Phooey. I prefer D-pads.

BLOWHARD
3rd Jul 2007, 05:47
RIGHT ON!!!:thumbsup: At least they should give the option!

Demarest
3rd Jul 2007, 07:28
I may be wrong but I see no option for changing the d-pad to anything other than weapons selection and medipacks. Ps2 offers 1 default and 3 alternate setting for the controller but none alter the d-pad settings. THIS IS REALLY A SHAME! (unless there is a setting command I don't know) With any analog stick there's always a chance of getting more than one direction in any movement. The d-pad would really be nice to have to counter what problems I'm having.Oh, that IS a shame! I'll bet consolers would have an easier time if they could. It's not easy on PC either, but once you know you're supposed to command her on the downstroke, you can hit it every time.

Tiri Li
3rd Jul 2007, 07:57
Yes, unfortunately, the d-pad cannot be used for movement.

As a fellow PS2 player, I found this pretty hard to begin with too. I use the 'directly behind'camera angle. This is, i'm using LEFT/RIGHT to make Lara swing.

As she is turning, I move the analog stick down and then press X. I think that pressing X and moving the analog stick down simultaniously does not work. Try it with a half a second gap in between.

Good luck!

Mangar The Dark
3rd Jul 2007, 15:48
Yeah, the grapple thing is tricky. It's odd, because there are times when it feels perfectly easy, and I can't imagine why I ever found it difficult at all. But then there are other times (such as near the giant staircase in the Obelisk Of Khamoon), where it's just ridiculously difficult. What I usually try to do is figure out which way the camera is working. Sometimes, the camera is at an odd angle, and it doesn't really correlate to the four movement directions. So, I experiment. If I find that I need to press up and down to make her run along the wall, then I know I'll need to press left or right to make her jump away from it. On the other hand, if I need to press left and right to run, then I know I'll need to press up or down when jumping. And, of course, as others have already said, you need to do the jump just as soon as she starts running back.

I'm going through hell now on in The Great Pyramid because you don't have time to figure out which way the camera is working, so by the time I know which direction to point before jumping, the hooks have retracted, and I'm dead.

All in all, I LIKE the wall-running a lot, but they need to fix the camera or make Lara a bit more intuitive when jumping away from the wall so that it doesn't become such a headache. Since Lara already helps the player out a lot in this game when grabbing ledges and whatnot, would it really be so bad to have her help the player out when jumping away from a wall? Usually there's only one direction you'd ever want to jump anyway.

boots
3rd Jul 2007, 17:06
Yeah, the grapple thing is tricky. It's odd, because there are times when it feels perfectly easy, and I can't imagine why I ever found it difficult at all. But then there are other times (such as near the giant staircase in the Obelisk Of Khamoon), where it's just ridiculously difficult. What I usually try to do is figure out which way the camera is working. Sometimes, the camera is at an odd angle, and it doesn't really correlate to the four movement directions. So, I experiment. If I find that I need to press up and down to make her run along the wall, then I know I'll need to press left or right to make her jump away from it. On the other hand, if I need to press left and right to run, then I know I'll need to press up or down when jumping. And, of course, as others have already said, you need to do the jump just as soon as she starts running back.

Argh, yes I had the same problem in the staircase room... I hardly ever had trouble with wall runs (not bragging, I promise) and then suddenly it was like I'd never been able to do one in my life. It drove me absolutely up the wall, if you'll all excuse the pun. :p Someone here suggested using a "figure 8" movement with the analog stick to keep her running for when the camera goes wonky and isn't quite accepting left/right or up/down, and sadly I can't remember who it was, but that piece of advice helped out big time.

I'm not sure if it would work for just a single run and then jumping away, but there you go.

Anyway, in addition to all the other advice all I can say is, if you haven't already, head back to the gym for a while and give yourself some time to practice. A lot of time. And then more time. It helps to learn all these things in a non-threatening environment, so that when you do need them, you know exactly what to do and don't just panic and mash buttons (which I have been known to do... :o often) and the risk of failure doesn't involve some sort of giant sharp object. You will need it, but fortunately I don't think it's nearly as often as other moves. Experiment with setting the camera differently, so that if you encounter a weird angle you know roughly which directions you need to use. The analog stick can be a blessing and a curse sometimes, so you really need to get the feel for it in different situations. And definitely remember that all moves regardless of how well or poorly they were implimented can be done by everybody, you just need to get the feel for it.

And then when you're done that, hope beyond hope that in future games someone will fix the walljump method. :rolleyes: Good luck!

(And I also miss the d-pad movement... it seems very dangerous to me to suddenly switch something as essential as movement to "weapons and medikits cycling". :D For new players that's as risky as setting "run forward" to "have Lara stand around and play with her hair while she gets mauled by wolves".)

BLOWHARD
3rd Jul 2007, 17:43
THANK YOU Tiri Li!!!:D :thumbsup:
That did the trick for me, hit the away from the wall direction and THEN hit the jump button!
WOW, what a relief, to be able to do this jump. Or at least I hope I can repeat it. I'll have to try this a few times at the Manor.

A big THANKS to everyone who helped! :D :D :D
(I'll be back next time I'm stuck :rolleyes:

Demarest
3rd Jul 2007, 18:17
Actually, that's the way you should handle ALL jumps. ESPECIALLY if you're jumping to the side off of a ladder. If I had a dollar for every time she jumped back instead of to the side like I told her...

thecoolstinger
3rd Jul 2007, 22:26
ahhaha. if i had a dollar for everytime i yelled when she jumped wrong. i hayve the pc version and for wall running / jumping backwards, i find it works when as soon as she reaches the point when i want her to jump backwards, i let go of all directional keys, then mash backwards (S for me) then quickly jump.

BLOWHARD
7th Jul 2007, 05:55
HEY! I just did another away from the wall jump several times in Midas's Palace, the room that fills with sand after you drop the column. Very cool :D It seems I've got the technique down thanks to all the help! :mrgreen:

Resy
9th Jul 2007, 14:27
Yes, unfortunately, the d-pad cannot be used for movement.

As a fellow PS2 player, I found this pretty hard to begin with too. I use the 'directly behind'camera angle. This is, i'm using LEFT/RIGHT to make Lara swing.

As she is turning, I move the analog stick down and then press X. I think that pressing X and moving the analog stick down simultaniously does not work. Try it with a half a second gap in between.

Good luck!

I'll have to give this a try. What sucks is I managed the wall jump when leaving the room but realised I had forgotten the secret. For the life of me I can't seem to repeat the jump now that I have the secret... 20+ times for me. Will try your tip next time I play.

BLOWHARD
9th Jul 2007, 22:36
Resy, just like they say, you know it can be done, just keep trying :)
I've had a similar problem to that with other TR games too; I'd perform some complex move but then had to do it again, only to find out that I couldn't. And it seems sometimes the more you try the more you fail. :mad2:
Just keep at it.
Camera angle, wait until she's changed direction, slight pause with the controls, push away and then hit the jump button. It seems like my problem when I mess it up now is with the direction, if you go from the running direction to the opposite wall direction without pause the PS2 seems to interpret the directions as the same.
Anyway, keep trying, I still dread these jumps but I can get them on the first try if I'm careful :)

gsusfrk
9th Jul 2007, 23:46
On the PS2, the D-pad changes weapons and uses medipaks. Movement MUST be from the analog sticks. Phooey. I prefer D-pads.

NEVER!!! that'll make it way complicated!!:scratch: i think lol

Hippie
10th Jul 2007, 00:45
I'm playing PS2 as well, and by now I've got it so I can make her jump no matter where the camera angle is, since the camera angle determines how the left joystick operates.

If the angle is directly facing the wall and Lara's back, L3 moves left to right. If it's looking down to the left or the right along the wall, L3 moves up and down.

And if you're looking direclty at the wall, then yeh, L3 goes down to send her off the wall. And if you're looking to the left or the right (when L3 is moving up and down on the wall run), then you push L3 to the left if you're looking to the left, and push it to the right if you're looking right.

And the control action is like, well, boom-boom, and that means "Direction" and "Jump". Boom (L3)-Boom (X). And it is easier when you have L3 operating either back and forth, or up and down, and not somewhere in between, although, I like to do a little figure-eight motion to get her momentum up.

I was making her jump when she was coming at me, but now I do it when she's going away, so i can see her target.

Resy
11th Jul 2007, 16:07
well I finally got it!

I found that without touching the camera angle at all, I'd have to push half way left/up to get lara to wall run forward. And then half way right/down to get her to run back. Then to do the jump I needed to press half way left/down and she jumped from the wall to the column. I gave it more practice in her manor as well and seem to have the hang of it.

I think I failed at least 50 times though...

Closet Gamer
12th Jul 2007, 14:44
:mad2: Let me first say that I LOVE PLAYING TOMB RAIDER !!!!! :D I also having a problem with a wall run but this one is in obelisk khamoon . :confused: I haved followed the walk through but can not reach the leadge on the left :mad2: can ANYONE give me some help PLEASE .

BLOWHARD
14th Jul 2007, 05:07
I haven't gotten there yet Closet, but I'm getting close! I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it.
If I do manage it, I'll post here...of course if I can't figure it out, I'll post here too! :lol: :scratch: :rolleyes:

Scorpio2
18th Aug 2007, 19:54
Oh, that IS a shame! I'll bet consolers would have an easier time if they could. It's not easy on PC either, but once you know you're supposed to command her on the downstroke, you can hit it every time.

I have read several of your replies or suggestions, but I, too, have been DAYS at this wall! I do not want to give up and want that artifact!!!! My problem is also the jumping. When I get to that opposite wall (camera behind her heading toward the ledge) I hit the jump (space on a PC) and no matter what arrow key I use, she is short and dies. I have been practicing just the wall run which I haven't had that much trouble with in the other areas, but this one:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: . Driving me :eek: You, Demarest, seem to be able to do it with just the first run at the wall. HOW????? I have watched the vido several times. That person doing that video goes so fast and only does one run at the wall and WALLA! She grabs that ledge so fast! I cannot seem to do it! I will keep looking for help, or suggestions. Thanks to all who have put their input in, and whoever said this was "easy"...not so. I am playing the "medium difficulty", and wished I'd taken the "easy."

Likay
18th Aug 2007, 21:54
This is a bit tricky... I only managed to do it just after she had been at the top point (on the way back down actually). So, don't press the jump button when she's at the top point, instead wait for a sec or so. Hope this will be a help.

cheers

sophie22
19th Aug 2007, 18:55
i still hope to god they dont put this in the next one:eek:

tiger
19th Aug 2007, 19:41
(I have the PC version, btw.)
And just to make "grapple practice with back-jumps" even more frustrating, I believe that the first slope at front of start-2 in the gym, but used for the start-3's grapple-jump to its left, has a problem in its ramp area for jumping?

If you jump high, near the top, it's like no problems, AFAIK? :scratch:
But landing anywhere below or near the center of that same ramp, then you might as well skip any sort of ideas about jumping around there, mates. :(

For the PC version, CD, simply adding another one of your invisible "boundary" mesh-objects, with jump-properties of course, should resolve this issue? (And using a batch-file update, after a map has been fully loaded, has work JUST FINE for adding pieces, ever since Quake 2, btw.) :thumbsup:

misscati98
2nd Jan 2011, 17:43
i would try and help but ur braver than me cuz im to scared of things jumpin out at me :L

sierra xb
6th Jul 2011, 00:22
I didn't catch if someone had already suggested this, but here's what helped me...I kept getting stuck in the Damocles room with the same problem...no matter how often you try it, even if lined up properly, you always jump sideways instead of backwards. When you are swinging, the camera always tracks your motion from a fixed point where you stared moving. What I learned is when you get near the place where you jump off, rotate the camera angle so you are looking at Lara's back, instead of her side, then hit the down button and jump like you are supposed to. Since I started doing it this way, I have never failed a backwards jump from a wall run. I'd suggest practicing the move in the gym first because you have to get used to coordinating both a wall run and moving the camera to keep her back towards you.

Lara_Fan_84
16th Sep 2011, 13:57
I had loads of trouble with this move as well. It was a pain especially in the golden pyramid level where you had to level up to each area in the tall tunnel thing. You have to have your joystick facing out when you do it otherwise she will just let go of her grapple and fall to her death. You also have to pick up speed when running along the wall and be at the highest point usually. It takes practice but once you get it it'll be easier for you.

WinterSoldierLTE
21st Sep 2011, 00:22
I STILL have problems with this, and I've played "Anni" roundabout 12 times or so. I play on PS2, and I've found that when swinging, holding the camera control analog stick up and to the left usually increases my chances of actually jumping back (come to think of it, is that how it's supposed to be done? I honestly don't remember. Haven't read the manual in a long time). But I could be imagining it, 'cos it doesn't work all the time, or it could be you have to move the stick that direction REALLY fast. Anyways, after a few failed attempts I usually end up just waiting for her to magicaly jump back on her own w/o my having touched the camera control stick. Sometimes I get lucky and she does it on the first go.

And for some reason, the area that ALWAYS gives me problems is the Damocles room. I think I've only gotten that one on the first go MAYBE 3 times. It's always the thing that holds me up in a time trial run of "St. Francis". I can do a flawless time trial of that level until I get to that point, every single time.

Saman
26th Dec 2011, 14:38
Okay same here too.

I was always have problem with backwards jumps or jump over the walls with the grapple, almost missed the keys! Where had to go? I am try to move to pinnacle point and jump at opposed side of the wall to right direction but she still jump to forward and failed! But on the next trials I will be succeed.

I don't know if Sierra solution worked for PC (as I knows Sierra play it on consoles) but I like to try and let it to knows and edit my post.