PDA

View Full Version : The Great Pyramid Torture

Jezyk
1st Jul 2007, 19:14
Hey guys I came here to ask if you share my opinion that some parts of the game are just TOO difficult? I beat TR 1, 2, 3 & Legend and never got half as irritated as in TR:A. I though that the Obelisk of Khamoon was a horror, but now... the part in the great pyramid, where you shoot the button, 2 flying mutants come out, then you shoot again and have the time run with 3 poles, 2 grapples etc... I've tried to go through it like 30 times already, or more, and it's just too much for my nerves. You can't save after beating the mutants and it would help A LOT; the camera during the fight is terrible, you can't see where Lara is and it's easy to fall while avoiding the fireballs... plus she often starts shooting at the button during the fight instead of the monsters, and sometimes these seconds matter. After that she often slides off after the first jump and also the camera doesn't help while swirling on the poles. I'm not quite sure where this is going, I just want to share my desperation and maybe some game producer will see it and think about modyfing the saving mode or at least enhance the camera in the patch heh:/

Tiri Li
1st Jul 2007, 19:19
That bit is the hardest in the game. I tried it for like 30 min before I did it XD. I know it doesnt sound great, but keep trying, and keep calm. Don't mash buttons randomly because you are fustrated.

Here are some tips that might help:

- use the shotgun or 50 calbier pistols to take down the mutants. They will go down faster that way

- use the pistols to get the counter up to 'max'

- when grabbing the first pole, keep the down button hold and mash ther jump button. she will jump first time.

- on the second pole, wait until she is on top of it, then change direction. She will turn around faster

- On the first grapple, if you can, do a 90 degree jump at the end and mash the grapple button. This should shave off a few second if done correctly.

Good luck!

Bioforge
1st Jul 2007, 20:17
Yeah that part of the game was pretty tough :mad2: I actually had to do that part twice,:nut: the second time was to get the artifact at the top, that I missed the first time ...how's that for torture? lol!
The camera angles are not the best in this game and the grapple can be tricky, especially when you must do it consecutively and under a time limit. As a result, you end up dying a lot in this situation and the enemy's attacking don't help. The only advice I can give is..... don't give up! You can do it! You've made it this far, besides it would be a shame if you didn't see the end of the game....you're almost there!!! :thumbsup:

Tomb Radar
1st Jul 2007, 21:06
Lara will shoot at whatever target is closest to the centre of the screen. ;)

Mertz523
1st Jul 2007, 21:48
This is the hardest part of the entire game. Hands down. It wasn't until after I created a tapestry of obscenities and 30 or more tries that I finally got past it. When I finally got past it, you could hear my cheers resound around my town.

Every 5 tries, I would get a little farther during the frantic leaps. I even got to the last grapple ring and was about to jump and the ring retracted and I fell. The next try, I successfully got through it after I left, got a glass of chocolate milk, and returned to the game. I saved immediately after I heard the checkpoint chimes and took a 5 minute breather and another glass of choc milk. Also, I never seemed to have a problem with her shooting the button instead of the mutants. I always moved to the back and center of the platfrom to dodge and shoot them.

Strategy:

-Pistols to shoot the button.
-Uzis to kill the mutants
-Uzis to shoot the button in rapid fashion.
-Jump to slope
-Jump to pole
-Swing and jump to next pole (I somehow turn the camera counterclockwise to put it behind her as I
-Turn her around and swing and jump to the crevice. (My most difficult part)
-Shimmy Left around the corner
-Jump backwards to pole, push jump right when you touch the pole to
-Jump and grapple the ring, run forward once and
-Jump to the left to grapple the second and final ring, run forward once and
-Jump forward to the crevice. Shimmy left, jump backwards to the platform.

The sound of the checkpoint is music to your ears. SAVE THE GAME!!

NightRain'06
1st Jul 2007, 22:46
This specific part of climbing up the platforms in Lost Pyramid was a HUGE pain to overcome and I was about to give up but didn't ! For me, I couldn't swing on both rings consecutively and have killed her numerous times because the time felt too short for me to have Lara progress around the room and to the above platform.

Here's what I did. I found this little neat trick.

So after beating the mutants, you know that timed switch you have to shoot at on the right wall near the top ? Shoot it until the ring protrudes out fully. Then hang onto the first ring with the grapple. Now, here's the little tricky part where you have to practice many times unless you've mastered it. First, you have to climb up the grapple by maybe two steps before swinging. When you do swing, I don't know if you've noticed but if timed perfectly, she WILL STAND on the slope. DO NOT MOVE. This is the trick ~ Immediately press your Manual Zoom button on your keyboard or press R3 on PS2 controller. The camera will be above her shoulder. Now aim for that same ring switch. Shoot it again until the ring protrudes fully, this will buy you extra time to latch onto the second ring behind her. Slide down the slope and latch onto the second ring. Since you have the extra time, you can swing two to three times and grab onto the cracked pole in the far end of the opposite wall. Then grab onto the second cracked spot on same pole and jump to the above platform.

Hopefully you'll understand what I'm saying. This was how I did it and it worked !! :) I was so happy ! Good luck !!

Lectrician
1st Jul 2007, 23:03
I almost gave up, but just took a short break and came back and did it. It is way more frustrating than necessary in my opinion.

boots
1st Jul 2007, 23:12
Ugh, I just got to this part the other night, and I just had to stop before I tackled it. From what I'm seeing here I'm going to need about thirty reloads and the grace of whatever deity is in charge of video games.

Something about this room has the complete opposite effect of every other room in the game - it just doesn't strike me as any fun. Does anyone else feel this way? Even with the other frustrating parts of the game, I was still motivated to get through them because I knew they would eventually lead back into being entertaining, or rewarding, or something, but I don't feel that in this room. I think I might just be burnt out on timed jumps-and-wall-runs from Egypt, but either way I'm not loving this part. I wanted it to be over before I even started.

Actually, my main motivation at this point is to finish the game so I can unlock the commentaries to see what, if anything, they have to say about this part. Is that weird? :nut:

Oh well, just a little vent. Jezyk (and everyone else!) you have my utmost sympathies. Good luck with getting through. :)

Jezyk
1st Jul 2007, 23:39
THANKS! I'm glad that it's not like I'm a loser that can't make it where everyone could ;-)
I really have to check out some of this advice tomorrow (it's almost 2 a.m. where I live) :thumbsup:

Demarest
2nd Jul 2007, 00:08
2nd to last stage of the game contains the hardest part. I'd say that's par for the course.

aussie500
2nd Jul 2007, 03:04
l found this third timed sequence the hardest part in the game, l have played most area's 3-4 times, l have not yet gone back to replay this bit though. l have to admit, when l first went for the timed relic in the Midas level it took me a while, even the second time it took me a few tries before l got it. Third replay it only took two attempts, so l am hoping when l eventually pluck up the courage to redo the timed section in that wretched shaft that it will be easier. If not l will not be playing it on the PC again, l will stick to the PS2 which is usually easier.

Mertz523
2nd Jul 2007, 03:09
It took me 4 tries to get the relic from the Fire Room in Midas's Palace. The third time it closed just enough when I got there that I couldn't grab it.

But yes, the third platform in the Great Pyramid is THE hardest, most difficult sequence in the entire game. Khamoon comes close, though.

tomb-raider-2
2nd Jul 2007, 03:25
i didnt have any problem getting through it except in Egypt turning the big things to get the thing in the middle to come up to exit it. that took me like 20 mins to get

Bampire
2nd Jul 2007, 04:26
The easy thing to do on the Great Pyramid is -

1. Don't get frustrated.
2. Take it easy
3. Chill out, and take your time killing the Harpies.
4. Use uzis for the target-time crap.
5. make sure you're in the right direction, and good with your timing on the jumps, wall runs. Then you'll do alright.

It takes a lot, but when you actually put thought into it and whatnot, it's not as bad.. Everything ends up being really easy.

ElevenTR
2nd Jul 2007, 06:59
call me a boaster but i found that quite a simple task.

Jezyk
2nd Jul 2007, 09:37
Well I tried it like 10 times again today and still didn't make it.. of well ;)
The good thing is that it got me so frustrated I'd rather sit and learn for my exams than play TR... never thought that this would happen :nut:
Oh and I forgot yesterday - I agree about not enjoying this part, for me it's no distraction, just pure torment and I only play it to see what's next and well, because it's Tomb Raider and it would be a shame if I didn't finish it. Obelisk of Khamoon was also a torment most of the time, but at least I never caught myself thinking of downloading some cheat or savegame while playing it, as I do now in TGP :eek: .
I've never ever experienced such thing in my 10years+ computer gaming :mad2:

Bampire
2nd Jul 2007, 09:51
Tomb Raider.

Tomb = Traps, and horrid puzzles.

Raiding = Entering tombs, going through puzzles and traps.

Tombs + Raiding = Fun, but difficult.

Jezyk
2nd Jul 2007, 10:08
Well Goar as I've written already I've beat TR 1 2 3 & Legend (TR1 three or four times, first time when I was like 14, and Legend with all time trials and other stuff) so I don't need explaining what tomb raiding is about. I may not be a TR-fanatic but I don't consider myself unexperienced either. And yeah it has been difficult at times, but always rewardind until now (though usually it was about the riddles or finding the way being difficult, not jumping all around the place and fighting with the camera and controls).

Tara C
2nd Jul 2007, 11:12
OMG this level drove me mad :mad2: i got so angry with it it was unreal haha.

then i had to play it for my boyfriends brother because he couldnt do it either haha so i had double the stress haha :D

but with the ideas that people have put forward they really help it is just getting the patience to do it and i know at first i didnt have any at all and i ended up shouting abuse at my boyfriend because he tried and i said he wouldnt be able to do the bit where you swing on the pole and have to turn while on the pole and jump to the next bit so we both ended up sat in a sulk lmao. trust me just keep practising and when you start gettin stressed take a break from it go grab a drink and then try again.

NaughtyGirl
2nd Jul 2007, 11:34
Lara will shoot at whatever target is closest to the centre of the screen. ;)

well she might want to try shooting at the ones closest to her that are trying to kill her....:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

call me a boaster but i found that quite a simple task....boaster!:p

that whole climb sucked major donkey :eek: and you should all be glad I am not Lara Croft and charged with saving the world, because I'd have said peace to Natla and went on back to my cozy bed in the mansion to wait for the end of the world rather than do those jumps! But I did make Lara do it and I'm sure she enjoyed her 5 hour lava baths until she finally got it right!:D

Tomb Radar
2nd Jul 2007, 11:51
well she might want to try shooting at the ones closest to her that are trying to kill her....

I meant that if she's targetting the buttons, the camera needs to be moved away. She'll aim at the enemy furthest away from her if its the closest to the centre of the screen. I keep falling for that in the raptor battle.

Lectrician
2nd Jul 2007, 13:12
The fun for me in this game is probably first and foremost the scenery. I still play lost valley over and over just to look at it.

I enjoy the figuring out hows more than trying to hit buttons at the precise moment and doing things quickly.

I did get to the top of the pyramid without destroying my controller or keyboard, but I may never get the relic there since it means I would have to do it again lol. I really had zero fun in there.

If a patch ever comes out that adds even 5 seconds to that timed sequence, I would love it.

Jezyk
2nd Jul 2007, 13:45
Dear diary... ;p
Well now passes the second day of me trying to jump through this stupid place and I still can't make it, even with "the easy way" of jumping straight to the first grapple. My hands are shaking and sweating while I'm doing this whole part. The worst thing is that there is no checkpoint after the battle. I literally hate this fight and if just one jump goes wrong I have to do it all over again. I think I need to have a break from this game because right now it's 0% satysfying, 100% masochistic.

NaughtyGirl
2nd Jul 2007, 14:11
put the game down! walk away...go get a gatorade or something

trust there is no way you will get that jump with sweaty shaking hands

what I noticed about this game is before when you would get all frustrated and excited at a TR evil part it would help but this game you have to actually calm down, think and be rational!

when you have meditated and prayed on it to whomever....then attempt the jump. What worked for me was to be still and actually note that if I jumped at the grapple (the quicker way) if I had enough momentum she would swing right to the slope, then I had to force my hands to not do the quick motions they were so used to, and calmly release, jump, and grapple and press each button very calmly and deliberately....once I had the force on my side I did not even need extra swings, or to climb up the grapple or anything.

Use the calm force and you will see....she jumps straight to that little slope right on her own.....

sorry I am on console and cannot show you.

LisaB1962
2nd Jul 2007, 16:40
I too skipped the poles and jumped directly to the grapple. There is a video on Youtube showing this shortcut. It's much less frustrating. ;)

Xcom
2nd Jul 2007, 16:42
Yes, the video:

width='425' height='350'

(is it visible?)

LisaB1962
2nd Jul 2007, 16:46
Yes. :thumbsup:

One of the improvements in this game is the appearance of red herrings, ledges that go nowhere, poles that are useless.

I used to say (regarding Tomb Raider) there's "more than one way to skin a cat", meaning there were usually a couple of ways to get things done. Anniversary gave me that feeling again.

Jezyk
2nd Jul 2007, 16:54
Yeah I've seen it. I've also seen the commentaries and it made me quite happy to see other people saying all the things that I've been thinking about (bad level design and camera work, controls, general annoytment).

And well, I just passed the *%^)#!@)_&% thing. I had to swallow my pride and help myself with a trainer. I got to the corner after the first grapple, saved my position and kept going straight there after the battle. Then she made a jump to the right, first grapple etc. It took about 20 tries this way. Anyway it's a relief that it's over, otherwise I'd have to leave the game alone (I'm a nervous man and got all shaky like after 3-4 tries) or wait for a patch that would fix this sick level.

NightRain'06
2nd Jul 2007, 16:54
Xcom, thanks for the video link.
See ? That's what I meant that I couldn't do -- making it to the above platform in one runaround.

Therefore, I've discovered my personal trick as mentioned in the previous page. That worked well for me. :) ;)

Jezyk
2nd Jul 2007, 17:00
Yeah, thanks all of you guys for support and advice!!! :)
I just went through the other two up to the top, all with one try, LOL. I really think that it's a mistake on the CD's side - the other jumping sequences can be done quite easily in one, two, max. three tries and this one keeps people stuck for days, it just doesn't feel right.

Lectrician
2nd Jul 2007, 17:04
that's awesome. Now I want to play this level and get the stuff I didn't want to bother going back for.

Mertz523
2nd Jul 2007, 17:09
:eek:

Wow, Xcom. Thanks for that video.

Bioforge
2nd Jul 2007, 20:48
Congrats and don't forget the artifact (that is if you're collecting them) before you exit the room or you will have to do this all over again ****
These games are usually frustrating but sometimes overly so. There was one part for me in legend (king Arthur's tomb) that I truly hated.... the bell boss battle, the targeting system was so bad that I was hitting the monster most of the time instead of hitting the lever to release the bells:mad2: :mad2: This I found, was truly a test of patience (I literally almost smashed my controller) but I persevered after much frustration, was it really worth it,well... yes and no.
There is a fine line between fun and frustration with this type of game, a little is ok and is to be expected but a lot is no fun at all...... after all, we play to be entertained and challenged.... not tortured!!

NaughtyGirl
2nd Jul 2007, 22:40
the sad part is I see the video but when I tried it, it seemed like I did not even have enought time to climb or swing until I noticed with enough momentum sometime she would just make it to the slope the first swing.....then I would get all excited and forget to regrapple:mad2:

it almost reminded of the TR when you had to jump across the ledge and run and roll under a sliding door.....

I'm also older and my frustration level as well as my flexibility are decreasing with the years :p

howiesfunware
3rd Jul 2007, 01:39
I want to strangle the level designer for this one. :mad2:

The wife is getting real angry at me for all my swearing and ponding on my computer desk each time I don't make it!

Alexlovesguns
3rd Jul 2007, 11:32
Im there but dont feel like going on anymore, i think i've seen the best (levels) of the game already so im not motivated enough to go thru it atm, i'll give it a real try next weekend maybe, but just to see the end of the game.

I hate to be knocked out from the platforms by those fire ball throwing harpies.

Tomb Radar
3rd Jul 2007, 12:02
One of the improvements in this game is the appearance of red herrings, ledges that go nowhere, poles that are useless.

They'll be paths to artifacts/relics. :thumbsup:

DayLightX
3rd Jul 2007, 12:08
The swinging didn't give me much trouble, did it in 2 tries (skipped the poles)

It was the auto-aiming and the flying monkeys that had me stuck there for hours. When I was there, Lara would always aim at the wrong thing, or switch target right before I land the death blow. And as per usual, the monkeys would throw their fireballs at her and knock her off to the lava for the terminator 2 pose.

Either way, I'm just glad there's a check point right before it :D

Tomb Radar
3rd Jul 2007, 12:18
Which targetting mode do you use? I've been using Advanced Toggle (tap L1 to draw guns, tap it again to holster) but I tried Default yesterday and found it much more difficult. Maybe trying different modes could help. :)

Xcom
3rd Jul 2007, 12:33
Xcom, thanks for the video link.
See ? That's what I meant that I couldn't do -- making it to the above platform in one runaround.

You're welcome. Personally, I thought skipping the poles gave me an ocean of time as compared to going via the poles. The pole-section is what caused most grief in my case. I just couldn't keep the momentum going and perform single jumps/turns (the camera was just out of control there and pressing the correct directional key was like gambling.. or at least it seemed that way). I eventually fluked it after 50 or so attempts, but oh boy...I lost some hair as well. :mad2: This shortcut run, however, I can perform.. say 2 out of 3 times now. :whistle:

DayLightX
3rd Jul 2007, 12:45
You're welcome. Personally, I thought skipping the poles gave me an ocean of time as compared to going via the poles. The pole-section is what caused most grief in my case. I just couldn't keep the momentum going and perform single jumps/turns (the camera was just out of control there and pressing the correct directional key was like gambling.. or at least it seemed that way). I eventually fluked it after 50 or so attempts, but oh boy...I lost some hair as well. :mad2: This shortcut run, however, I can perform.. say 2 out of 3 times now. :whistle:

It was indeed a massive gamble. Honestly, I haven't done it the "proper" way even once :lol: Shortcut is not too bad once you've done it once.

LisaB1962
3rd Jul 2007, 16:18
Yeah, even though I had passed a checkpoint when I resumed game it took me all the way back down so I had to redo that climb. But I managed to do it the first time that time. The key to the short cut is get your thumb off the analog stick once she grapples. She'll stop fairly quickly, then you can climb.

Of course, a few more cancel frames would make it even easier. *bats eyelashes*

boots
3rd Jul 2007, 19:31
:( I still don't like this room. If I don't get knocked off the platform (and WHO decided that knockdown was a good idea, anyway? This is hands-down the single most pointlessly annoying addition of any Tomb Raider game I have ever played) then I can't jump to the grapple, and if I can reach the grapple then the camera won't let me see what I'm doing to get to the next bit. :mad2: It's so disorienting. I'm sure this would be a lot easier if I wasn't one of those players who panicked under a timer, even if it gave you four hours to do it.

...It doesn't help that my brother keeps walking in and telling me to "stop dying, use the uzi's! This level is so easy!" I hope he realizes that once he starts his game I fully intend to return the favor.

With everyone's tips and advice though I too am slowly getting there... I'm determined to finish this room by today at least if I don't get any further than that. I think I'm going to try Mertz's suggestion of having some chocolate milk, too. :D I have a feeling that will help.

(Jezyk - congratulations, by the way!)

Tomb Radar
3rd Jul 2007, 20:05
Use the Dual Pistols so you don't waste ammo.

Stand against the wall and move left to right on the platform. Don't move too far left or right though. If done correctly, you'll take very little damage from fireballs and won't get knocked down.

While wall-running, tap the interact button to move faster so you can get high enough on that first run.

When jumping from poles, press jump as soon as you make contact. This can save a couple of seconds.

Those are the only tips I can think of. I hope some of that helps. :)

Mertz523
3rd Jul 2007, 20:11
:...I think I'm going to try Mertz's suggestion of having some chocolate milk, too. :D I have a feeling that will help....

It does WONDERS!

But I don't drink much liquor, so that's what choc milk replaces, lol.

...While wall-running, tap the interact button to move faster so you can get high enough on that first run...
:)

The interact button (triangle for me) allows her to run faster whilst doing a grapple run? :eek: I did not know that. I will have to try that when I play through it again.

boots
3rd Jul 2007, 20:19
Use the Dual Pistols so you don't waste ammo.

Stand against the wall and move left to right on the platform. Don't move too far left or right though. If done correctly, you'll take very little damage from fireballs and won't get knocked down.

While wall-running, tap the interact button to move faster so you can get high enough on that first run.

When jumping from poles, press jump as soon as you make contact. This can save a couple of seconds.

Those are the only tips I can think of. I hope some of that helps. :)

You just saved my life! :D

I didn't realize you could tap interact to run faster... I think I'd tried it before in the gym, but I didn't see a difference. :confused: Using that, I got it the first time I actually managed to get as far as the wall run. Thank you!

The problem I had mostly was that I was trying the shortcut, but 70% of the time when she jumped toward the first grapple, she'd hook it and then fall anyway. I never really figured out what specifically I needed to do differently. Oh well.

...well, now I have another half of the room to do. I need more chocolate milk for this. (It definitely does help. I don't drink either. :D)

Tomb Radar
3rd Jul 2007, 20:37
The interact button (triangle for me) allows her to run faster whilst doing a grapple run? :eek: I did not know that. I will have to try that when I play through it again.

I discovered it trying to get an artifact in Obelisk of Khamoon. :)

You just saved my life! :D

I didn't realize you could tap interact to run faster... I think I'd tried it before in the gym, but I didn't see a difference. :confused: Using that, I got it the first time I actually managed to get as far as the wall run. Thank you!

The problem I had mostly was that I was trying the shortcut, but 70% of the time when she jumped toward the first grapple, she'd hook it and then fall anyway. I never really figured out what specifically I needed to do differently. Oh well.

...well, now I have another half of the room to do. I need more chocolate milk for this. (It definitely does help. I don't drink either. :D)

Glad I could help. :)

I haven't tried the shortcut yet. I've seen the video though. :D

Mertz523
3rd Jul 2007, 20:43
Great discovery, Tomb Radar.

And thanks for posting that finding. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

richard4lara
3rd Jul 2007, 21:53
I too skipped the poles and jumped directly to the grapple. There is a video on Youtube showing this shortcut. It's much less frustrating. ;)

Yeah, that saved me a LOT of trouble too!

thecoolstinger
3rd Jul 2007, 21:55
Yes! i found that a hard part of the game, especially on hard!!! you have to kill those 2 harpies over and over until you get it right too. i cursed many times at the harpies and at laura for not targeting the harpies or shooting the button, lol.

i jumped straight to the hook a few times but couldnt make it to the next one, and then i figured the game would give me enough time to do it correctly (jumping the poles.) anyways, ufortuantely, practice doesnt always make perfect, but it makes permanent :mad2:

TRBeth
4th Jul 2007, 04:11
Frankly the aggravation started with some of the convoluted wall runs in Egypt; by the time I got to this section of the pyramid, it was a matter of sheer will to move beyond it. Once I did, I frankly lost interest and momentum in the game. The game just became a chore, rather than entertaining. Its kinda sad, since I've played every TR game since the franchise started and have played all of them over and over again.

I don't understand what CD was thinking going from such a great start with the first levels of TRA, to this annoying chore in the last levels. Frankly, Atlantis is a mere shadow of what it was in the original. Its like CD was motivated and creative in making the first part of the game then lost interest in the last part of the game.

The_Hylden
4th Jul 2007, 07:19
Wow, I did not know there was a short-cut, nor that pressing the interact button made her wall run faster. Two things I find out now *after* completing the game, lol. good to know anyway.:D great finds.

Btw, yeah, easily the toughest moment probably in the game is that one jump, well, without the short-cut. I mentioned this ins another thread, but a certain stupid button mapping by whomever that has the gamepad being used on PC's analog stick trigger button -- the clicker button on top of the left analog stick, I mean -- mapped to the pause button. This means I've been playing this game while having tense moments like that with jumps that need quick turn-arounds making my thumb press slightly harder, click this button, and pause the game... Sometimes she registered the jump button was pressed before the game paused, sometimes not. Either way, it usually meant either death, or vary nearly that, since the only way to get out of the pause menu is to press the ESC button with one of my hands, leaving the gamepad without a hand on it for a split second.

lol, kind of proud I made it through the game on my own, then, despite that craziness.:p Just think if you get frustrated, think of that, and maybe it will help... I also agree that it takes a steady hand regardless. I took time off, came back to this part, and had calmer hands, knowing what to expect, which didn't depress that stupid trigger and mess me up as much... I have no idea why they mapped that button to there, none at all. You can't change the controls either, which is the crux of the issue.

ggctuk
4th Jul 2007, 07:47
I got this tip from a walkthrough on Tomb Raider Chronicles.com

You can skip the ople hopping on this puzzle by simply running to the edge and holding jump. Press grapple and Lara should toss the grapple and hook the first ring. Climb up the line and then do the wall run. From there, leap on to the slope and jump and catch the second ring with the Grapple. Wall run and jump to grab the crevice ahead.

This can get as frustrating as the normal method. Curse you Crystal Dynamics, I preferred facing the rooms filled with mutants.

Xcom
4th Jul 2007, 07:57
I got this tip from a walkthrough on Tomb Raider Chronicles.com

It's usually not a bad idea to read the thread first before posting (I know it's kind of long but still). :lol:

Mangar The Dark
4th Jul 2007, 13:19
I got past this section last night. The shortcut makes a HUGE difference, and once you're able to do it, it's like, what was so hard about this?!

Anyway, the rest of the game is great again after that. The next two sections of the climb up the pyramid are a piece of cake, comparatively speaking. Actually, the entire remainded of the game is a piece of cake after that annoying Pyramid section!

RAZMAT
4th Jul 2007, 17:36
this section is ruining the game for me.i'll skip mentioning all the other downside here,since we have seen plenty of it already.the problem i'm having is that i can make it to the first ring then jump to the ledge and quickly jump to the second ring,but then i only have time for the first run towards the far ledge and when i jump for the far ledge ,i can't reach it.she keeps falling short.i don't have time to run back and forth once to get higher.:mad2:

NaughtyGirl
4th Jul 2007, 18:36
you need a hug!:) poor baby!

Tomb Radar
4th Jul 2007, 20:04
this section is ruining the game for me.i'll skip mentioning all the other downside here,since we have seen plenty of it already.the problem i'm having is that i can make it to the first ring then jump to the ledge and quickly jump to the second ring,but then i only have time for the first run towards the far ledge and when i jump for the far ledge ,i can't reach it.she keeps falling short.i don't have time to run back and forth once to get higher.:mad2:

Tap the interact button while wall-running. You'll get enough height to reach the ledge on the first attempt. :thumbsup:

RAZMAT
4th Jul 2007, 21:12
well , i finally got past it;ahhhh,checkpoint.i just winged it.that whole area though,with the camera and trying to get her to turn around when on a pole in a hurry.sucked.

NaughtyGirl
4th Jul 2007, 22:56
:thumbsup: way to go!

ggctuk
5th Jul 2007, 14:41
I think there should be save crystals where the Checkpoints were, and the camera should always be behind Lara, like in PSX TR1

Shaidester
9th Jul 2007, 22:32
I actually liked it. I actually felt I was playing the classical pyramid, even though I took maybe... seven deaths or so to get used to it. This is what made Tomb Raider an addicting game, maybe you just can't need more attempts at it.

tiger
9th Jul 2007, 22:41
Hello TRBeth. . .
Btw, I like to call this The Great Pyramid's Grappling Hell! :cool:
So, from a map building/game designer's perspective should CD have seen this form of perpetual misery and then taken out their ring and platform timers, for a start?

(And then grappling with its constant camera-problems along fighting with all those flying creatures and their various powers, within some very small platform areas, MIGHT have been an interesting set of challenges, CD? ? ?) :thumbsup:

And yes, I also saw a lowering of TR game fun and standards with lots of cheap, edgy and redundant tricks, just to boost TRA's level of difficulty from the Obelisk of Khamoon level, on upwards. (And sorry, CD, but this Grappling Hell is the worst of your litter as a "TRA Lara/Player Killer".) :(

So, maybe, EIDOS$$$ had something to do with all of this TRA downfall?

Astara
9th Jul 2007, 23:55
I have no idea why they mapped that button to there, none at all. You can't change the controls either, which is the crux of the issue.
??? can't remap?? My gamepad came with a Logitech Profiler -- allows you to
remap buttons on the controller -- so the mid-section, right button got mapped to ESCape (not pause), so I can exit all the menus without touching keyboard. The pushdown on the left analog I mapped to "Enter" (keypress) -- doesn't do anything in combat, but allows pressing "Return/Enter" in menus. Only keyboard needed is for typing name of Saves.

This section is still sucking largely. I can see the developers laughing at us -- bet they are so amused that they gave so many at least substantial grief, if not downright readiness to quit. I'm trying the "shortcut", but out of about 30 attempts have only connected grapple once. In about first 20, Only got the blue-grapple "enabled" once -- nothing like throwing your grapple multiple times while you are plummeting into hot lava. Maybe they should have had Lara burst into flame -- as she was going under. Should at least be some popping of lava with 40-50 liters of water from her body being superheated to steam as she goes down...

Anyone else reminded of Golum's (LOTR:RotK movie) hand grasping at air as he went down when you see Lara's hand going down?

Maybe I'll take a break for something comparably "fun" like watching the grass grow or getting a root canal.... They definitely should adjust the timing on these timed events based on difficulty. The Pyramid is already at "expert", so maybe add 5 seconds for medium and 10 for "beginner". Seems TR games don't have a large adaptability in difficulty level. :-(

tiger
10th Jul 2007, 00:59
Astara, thanks for your insight on gamepad remapping.
(For me, I'm a keyboard and mouse junkie, since Quake 1.)
And for TRA Troubles, I just add another one-key function for multiple-actions with AutoHotKey, down to 1/1000 of a second accuracy! ;)

Anyway. . . AFAIK about TRA's Levels of Difficulty. . .
It only changes the damage-ability and the hitpoint-amount for both the player and for the creatures? (So if we could turn-off that timing junk then you'd have a naturally tougher area, via the type and number of creatures?) *** CD, do you know that a lot of us are still having a "built-in TRA fight" with just your camera's mistakes? ***

And CD, I never EVER wanted to cheat like this from TR1 to TRLE! :cool:
(But looking at some of your level designs, from the top-down, it is almost like your sets of ever-toughening traps along with some other "tough nut" areas like these, simply became something like "Boss Areas" in their very own special way?)

So, to fellow TRA victims, maybe just try this Grappling Hell area, a few times? And then simply get TRFly to keep your personal "Let's Go TR Adventuring Spirit" just as clean and as bright as possible, mates! :thumbsup:
Flight Mode Tool (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=98045)

boots
10th Jul 2007, 03:16
This section is still sucking largely. I can see the developers laughing at us -- bet they are so amused that they gave so many at least substantial grief, if not downright readiness to quit. I'm trying the "shortcut", but out of about 30 attempts have only connected grapple once. In about first 20, Only got the blue-grapple "enabled" once -- nothing like throwing your grapple multiple times while you are plummeting into hot lava. Maybe they should have had Lara burst into flame -- as she was going under. Should at least be some popping of lava with 40-50 liters of water from her body being superheated to steam as she goes down...

:rolleyes: Yeah, the designers think it's hilarious when people get so frustrated with the game they refuse to finish it. :lol:

I definitely suggest taking frequent breaks on that leg of the climb and not letting yourself get too worked up. It's frustrating, and I had the exact same problem with the shortcut grapple issue. Patience and a cool head, I found, is key, as crappy as that advice sounds. And chocolate milk, if you can get it. ;) I'm utterly hopeless at quickly timed jumping puzzles and they make me completely nervous, so if I can do it (on a PS2 - no remapping or fly modes for me :( ), anyone can. For the grapple issue I watched the video about five thousand times to see where they were positioned on the platform while jumping off. It helped, kind of.

But moving on, this:

Maybe I'll take a break for something comparably "fun" like watching the grass grow or getting a root canal.... They definitely should adjust the timing on these timed events based on difficulty. The Pyramid is already at "expert", so maybe add 5 seconds for medium and 10 for "beginner". Seems TR games don't have a large adaptability in difficulty level. :-(

gets a hearty yes from me. If they're going to include difficulty levels, there should be some bigger difference other than just hit points and a very minor effect on grab opportunities. Although personally I don't mind having just a flat difficulty level for the whole game, like the original, but if you're going to do it then do it. Don't put out half a thing.

The_Hylden
10th Jul 2007, 11:04
??? can't remap?? My gamepad came with a Logitech Profiler -- allows you to
remap buttons on the controller

I have logitech Profiler too with mine, but try as I may, it hasn't worked. It becomes less of a big deal the more I simply become used to pressing lighter on the left analogue stick. That doesn't excuse the issue, just saying: it can be done...

redfox45
10th Jul 2007, 19:27
I always make the jumps, its the Atlantians that keep knocking me off the platform, I swear that girl is such a drama queen she staggers about 3 miles after she is hit. I hated the oblisk the most because the doors made the stepping stones stop working and you would just fall through them:mad2: I didnt find Atlantis that hard, once you know what to do it is easy, I was expecting this game to be a REAL pain after all the people complaining about how easy Legend was. Just try to iron out the bugs CD.

Astara
10th Jul 2007, 20:05
I have logitech Profiler too with mine, but try as I may, it hasn't worked. It becomes less of a big deal the more I simply become used to pressing lighter on the left analogue stick. That doesn't excuse the issue, just saying: it can be done...
Well pushing on the analog stick isn't my problem -- it's a stiff push for me, but if you can't remap something to "Enter" and something to "Esc", there are several places you can't navigate through on the menus without using the keyboard (on PC). For example, if you press "pause" and want to return to game or go forward, it requires a keypress of ESC or ENTER. The only two I needed to remap using the logitech profiler were buttons 10 & 11 (first physical button = #1) (or 9 & 10 in game buttons where first button = starts numbering at 0). You can even redefine the actions in the logitech profiler while TR is running.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the default for "pause" is "ESC/Button 9", but gamepad-button 9 doesn't work in all the places you have to use ESC. I suppose I'd argue its a bug, but since they don't document it, they can argue it's not.

Example of place where ESC/Enter needed (one of several), press pause and it brings up the pause menu, but to do anything there you need to press ESC or Enter -- the actual keys -- gamepad and mouse can't exit -- you need the key.

Astara
10th Jul 2007, 20:18
so if I can do it (on a PS2 - no remapping or fly modes for me :( ), anyone can
I'm on the PC. I thought someone else (in this thread) had both and said the PC version was more difficult. Don't know if true or not, but I'm sure it is if one uses the keyboard :nut: :) .

A*a

Tomb Radar
10th Jul 2007, 22:28
I've now done this section 3 times and had no problems at all. The trick is knowing where to position the camera for some of the moves.

1. Activate the switch and kill the baddies.

2. Shoot the switch again to reset the timer. (thanks to Xcom) ;)

3. Jump to the slope

4. Jump to the first pole and immediately press jump to quickly swing to the second pole.

5. As you jump from the first to second, position the camera to face the wall with the switch you just activated.

6. When Lara grabs the second pole, with the camera repositioned, push up (towards the wall). Lara will rotate only 180º on the pole, stop with her feet pointing towards the ceiling then twist round and swing towards the wall.

7. As soon as this happens, start tapping jump.

8. Grab the ledge on the wall once you leave the second pole.

9. Shimmy round the corner.

10. Jump backwards off the wall onto the third pole.

11. Press jump as soon as you make contact.

12. Grapple the ring and start tapping interact as you wall run.

13. Position the camera so it faces the wall that Lara is running along.

14. Jump from the wall-run at the peak of the oscillation. Just press the jump button. You don't need to press a direction.

15. Land on the slope and slide for about a metre.

16. Jump and grapple the ring, tapping interact again while wall-running.

17. Again position the camera so it faces the wall Lara is running along.

18. Jump from the wall-run to the ledge, shimmy round the corner then jump backwards from the ledge to the next platform.

19. CHECKPOINT!!! Woohoo. :)

This method is better than the shortcut. You can't keep momentum with the shortcut.

Oh yeah. I did this on the PS2 version.

Astara
10th Jul 2007, 23:02
Woo Hoo!!!:D Did it on the shortcut. Just kept hammering away -- would try to make it a little farther each "session". Now to try up from here. Gotta remember to grab an artifact so I don't have to repeat this ...

Thanks Tomb Raider for the step-by-step -- It's easy enough to read and write -- maybe if I practice more doing the full-route, but its hard to make zero errors on every move. Leaping from 1st slop, didn't get camera in view fast enough, so she lost momentum...from there, its lost....

What a pain!
Yeay!!! :rasp: darn pyramid!

A*a

boots
11th Jul 2007, 00:10
Yay! Congrats, Astara! :D The rest of the room was easier, I thought... although I was kind of worn out on that whole jumping session so it was still a challenge to get rid of the Atlanteans and finish it. Those things were a major pain. :mad2: Just be glad they gave you a checkpoint after you reached a new ledge.

Tomb Radar, excellent walkthrough. :thumbsup: I think the next time I play the level I'll try it that way. I didn't even bother with the poles at all the first time.

Tomb Radar
11th Jul 2007, 09:38
Thats the problem with the full route. You can't really afford to make any mistakes.

I meant to do a walkthrough the first time I did it, but I was so happy at making it up the pyramid that I forgot to stop and write everything down. :rolleyes:

As long as you get past that part. Thats the main thing. :)

Xcom
11th Jul 2007, 09:45
1. Activate the switch and kill the baddies.

1.5 . Shoot the switch again to reset the timer.

2. Jump to the slope

^^^ ;)

naraku
11th Jul 2007, 10:16
Ah, Yes!! The great pyramid torture:rolleyes: I said my year's worth of profanity
through that level. But when those demons came out I unleashed holy :beep: on them. (Oops there I go again) :whistle:
made me feel lots better. And jumped out of my seat with joy. Then the LAVA FLOWS:mad2: But I've passed it now:D

Tomb Radar
11th Jul 2007, 12:37
^^^ ;)

LOL :D

I just editted that in. :)

carlitoo
18th Jul 2007, 18:13
I just want to add my piece. This bit of the game is stupidly difficult NOT because of the challenge presented, but because of the AWFUL camera combined with the controls. Trying to use the poles that stick out the wall is almost impossible as instead of right being the natural button to press you have to press something else and therefore she stops and the timer is running out so you give up.

Then when you do get past the first grapple swing bit, she still falls when sliding down the slope even when you PRESS x. THIS is what is so :mad2: and I have given up for now. Not really determined to get to the next stage anyway as I know it'll just be a boring boss and i hate them anyway.

Mangar The Dark
18th Jul 2007, 20:06
I kind of wonder if the designers even intended for anyone to use the poles, or if they're just put there as a red herring. If you skip the poles entirely and just go straight for the grapple, it's a lot more reasonable (still a bit of a challenge, but not nearly as bad as it is with the poles.) And the odd thing is, the two similar segments after this one are countless times easier. That's why I think the poles might be red-herring-- there's no reason to ramp up the difficulty so high on part 3 of a 5 part climb, and then lower it again on parts 4 and 5.

Not really determined to get to the next stage anyway as I know it'll just be a boring boss and i hate them anyway.

Actually, there's still a bit of Tomb Raiding left after the climbing bit. Not a tremendous amount, but definitely some jumping, climbing, exploring, and puzzle-solving before the boss battle.

tiger
18th Jul 2007, 21:59
Maybe, they should rename or comment this message, CD? ? ?
(CD, how many players do you know BUY after being stopped in a prior version of a game series, especially from the same manufacturer?)

"The Great Pyramid Torture that ruined TRA (TR7)"
(It was TR7's major bane and then TR8's early demise!)

So, here comes TRAFly to the RESCUE! :cool: Flight Mode Tool (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=98045)

boots
18th Jul 2007, 22:41
... and I have given up for now. Not really determined to get to the next stage anyway as I know it'll just be a boring boss and i hate them anyway.

I felt the exact same way when I finished the jump; I didn't like the Atlantis levels that much to begin with, they were really frustrating with the mutants, and since I was at something like 97% I didn't really feel like continuing on...

What made me decide to go back was the combination of knowing that I was almost done (and two artifacts away from unlocking the developer's level - yay!) and watching some of the walkthrough/speedruns of that level on YouTube, so I knew how much I had left. It didn't actually look as bad as I expected it to be, and I felt silly giving it up at the 11th hour so I gave it a go. And I'm glad I did; it felt wonderful watching that final cutscene and then seeing the credits roll. :D Not to mention unlocking some of the neat stuff. Besides which, I thought the boss(es) were actually kind of neat, if a bit too easy. If nothing else the music was very impressive!

If I was on the PC though, I think I would have taken advantage of the fly tool by then. :rolleyes:

I kind of wonder if the designers even intended for anyone to use the poles, or if they're just put there as a red herring. If you skip the poles entirely and just go straight for the grapple, it's a lot more reasonable (still a bit of a challenge, but not nearly as bad as it is with the poles.) And the odd thing is, the two similar segments after this one are countless times easier. That's why I think the poles might be red-herring-- there's no reason to ramp up the difficulty so high on part 3 of a 5 part climb, and then lower it again on parts 4 and 5.

Well, there are several areas before this where the developers put in a few added poles and slopes and such that you don't need to use to get through (offhand, I can think in the beginning of the Coliseum level, and in Natla's mines over the lava flow) but provide with a couple very minor alternative routes. I like that they did that although I wish they'd expanded on it a bit more. Puzzling out which way to go is half the fun of Tomb Raider.

There are also several areas where the difficult bit is right in the middle of a run. :D Seems to be a theme.

tiger
19th Jul 2007, 00:18
(Those Bosses bothered me, just little a bit, until I realized that they might actually be some of the very best "do-able" and then enjoyable challenges within this TRA maze of ever increasing "death-trap arcade games". Which started for me, from the Obelisk Of Kamoon on up. :( So I would very patiently just take out a Boss, one at a time, while "studying and learning" them as I went along.) :thumbsup:

Anyway, do you console-puter folks have ANY fly or ghost cheats?

Or can you download and stick a savegame or autosave into your systems? (On PC's, we have these files in our Profile folder.)
autosave.TRASave ... (This is our current status and position in a level.)
Profile.TRAProfile ...... (This is our over-all inventory and success file.)
Savegame 1.TRASave is just our first savegame with a default number.
* That autosave, by itself, should give you a start location above the room and that might be just enough to do your own savegame from? *

And there might be something like a debug.exe or a fly-code for consoles, which might make all that stuff into a mote point? :confused:

Lectrician
19th Jul 2007, 01:30
I tried playing this level again today....never finished it.

I have gotten by it in the past, but I can't do it on a regular basis. It should be patched in my opinion. Add even 5 seconds to the timers.

exmachinad
20th Jul 2007, 23:09
Hey guys I came here to ask if you share my opinion that some parts of the game are just TOO difficult? I beat TR 1, 2, 3 & Legend and never got half as irritated as in TR:A. I though that the Obelisk of Khamoon was a horror, but now... the part in the great pyramid, where you shoot the button, 2 flying mutants come out, then you shoot again and have the time run with 3 poles, 2 grapples etc...

Yes it is a NIGHTMARE. I can't really understand what CD was thinking.
TR Legend was so fun and entertaining to play. I rank Legend among one of the games I had most fun playing, it's really enjoyable.

Then Anniversary cames... and slowly from the middle on the game turn into timed death traps that are absolutely insane. I mean, some parts are not chalenging, they are just irritating trial and error parts. Mainly the stupid Great Pyramid part.

I DO hope the next game don't fall into this pit. I bet there a lot of players stopped playing at that part. : /

I have to agree with Jezyk, this game didn't have to be so difficult. The fun is gone when your rage meter is greater than the one on the screen. In the old games, there were different ways to win battles, but here it's one way or no way. I hope the next one is designed more for a general player.

Yes, I DO agree.

tiger
21st Jul 2007, 04:15
The "solution" is so simple, it's almost funny. . . :rolleyes:
Okay. . . Here we have a definite death-trap with a lava-pit, below.
And after you shoot the next target, Lara gets to defend herself.

Simply turn-off the timer effects on the ring and the platform, CD. :cool:

Keep those extra flying creatures for medium and hard, at the start.

And then for the hard level, add one extra-creature, who appears after so much time. (So, if your still on a pole, ledge or on the grapple and totally unable to defend Lara, then there's your somewhat "natural occurance" for a different type of "timer effect", CD.) :thumbsup:

Lectrician
21st Jul 2007, 04:50
good tip, but I don't like having to use cheats to make something passable. That's just my opinion, but if it works and people know how to do it, it's an awesome suggestion.

Prof
21st Jul 2007, 19:24
After spending way too much time trying to get past the retracting ledge in the Great Pyramid, I've uninstalled the game and called it quits! I tip my hat to those of you who got past this. After a few days of fooling with this seemingly impossible set of jumps and rope work, I decided it wasn't worth the headaches!

Below Zero
21st Jul 2007, 19:38
You should'nt give up on the game if, theres only a part or two you cant beat. If you like the game enough, and you want to keep it, you could either consult a walkthough or mabey put on the shelve for a week or two, them come back to it. Those options help me defeat games. - Good luck (Btw, Welcome to the Forums)

spencer_36
21st Jul 2007, 19:56
THANKS NRNR. Becasue of your hint I did it! iwas packing up PS@ to take to the Bama River and throw it away! But you saved me! First try after reading your hint it was on baby. I am working my way to ledge 5 now!
THANKS

This specific part of climbing up the platforms in Lost Pyramid was a HUGE pain to overcome and I was about to give up but didn't ! For me, I couldn't swing on both rings consecutively and have killed her numerous times because the time felt too short for me to have Lara progress around the room and to the above platform.

So after beating the mutants, you know that timed switch you have to shoot at on the right wall near the top ? Shoot it until the ring protrudes out fully. Then hang onto the first ring with the grapple. Now, here's the little tricky part where you have to practice many times unless you've mastered it. First, you have to climb up the grapple by maybe two steps before swinging. When you do swing, I don't know if you've noticed but if timed perfectly, she WILL STAND on the slope. DO NOT MOVE. This is the trick ~ Immediately press your Manual Zoom button on your keyboard or press R3 on PS2 controller. The camera will be above her shoulder. Now aim for that same ring switch. Shoot it again until the ring protrudes fully, this will buy you extra time to latch onto the second ring behind her. Slide down the slope and latch onto the second ring. Since you have the extra time, you can swing two to three times and grab onto the cracked pole in the far end of the opposite wall. Then grab onto the second cracked spot on same pole and jump to the above platform.

Hopefully you'll understand what I'm saying. This was how I did it and it worked !! :) I was so happy ! Good luck !!

spencer_36
21st Jul 2007, 19:58
I am so happy. I got off ledge three thanks to NRNR's hint! Awesome!:o :)

TheRidster
21st Jul 2007, 21:13
Did you try the slightly shorter way of doing it shown here?
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A0OxsU6DQzA

It takes a few seconds off the total time and makes it slightly easier. It still took me about 20 times though;) .
I don't know what CD were thinking with that part.:rolleyes:
EDIT: Why dont you reinstall and try one of the save games in the sticky thread above this one to get past it so you can complete it?

tinknocker68
21st Jul 2007, 21:26
Wow, I love this game! I almost quit myself cuz some of the stuff is difficult. Betweeen the players guide and all the helpful stuff peeps post on here I'm glad I didn't. I'm into the game now more than ever. I want to find EVERYTHING!! I got a good handle on the controls now so jumping is no longer a problem, neither is the adrenaline dodge. But once ya learn the "focused attack" that made a big difference in my play. I was able to kill the T-Rex without using the spikes. Only took me a few minutes.If ya can, get a players guide, I do believe it would be helpful to you, or at least use the links peeps post on here. Awesome game if ya ask me, just took me some time to get used to everything!

UTWarden
21st Jul 2007, 22:01
that jump IS retarded. I got it the first time after about 2 hours, and just re-did it and still even after KNOWING what I had to do, took me 30 mins

UTWarden
21st Jul 2007, 22:12
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-RoZPGqIvPk

between the 1:00 and 1:04 how is this possible?

Demarest
21st Jul 2007, 22:26
I made a full set of saves so that people having problem with just one part wouldn't have to uninstall the game. Quitter :rasp:

Shaidester
21st Jul 2007, 23:38
You made it all the way to the VERY END (almost) and now you decide to quit? Wow. Keep trying lol.

Bampire
21st Jul 2007, 23:39
Haha.

I'm sorry, but that's really weak to uninstall and quit! It's just like Obelisk of Khamoon, where you're jumping on the walls and trying to pass those spinning blades and whatnot. Just tihnk you're on that with a small time limit.. You just need to take little time, and be smart, make sure that she's facing the right direction, and to kil lthe harpies you just shoot them with your uzis.. Let alone shoot the targets with the same gun, and without hesitation attack the walls!

It does get hard, but once you pass it, it'll be easier for you, so much easier.. Like eating Cake!

Try it again, and don't get frustrated. Frustration usually brings out the worst in some people.

faint_u
22nd Jul 2007, 14:05
There is a place that you need first shoot at the target and then the grappling point appears, then you must finish the jumps and wall-runs within several seconds. And you need to do this 3 or more times to get to the topmost platform.

I totally can't make it with the uncontrollable camera. After failing several times, i decided to give up:mad2:

dassan
24th Jul 2007, 12:40
maybe funy question but how you climb up the grabble guys i couldnt do that and stuck in this place:/

boots
24th Jul 2007, 12:43
maybe funy question but how you climb up the grabble guys i couldnt do that and stuck in this place:/

Hold interact and tap up or down. :) She can only do it while hanging still, though.

edit:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-RoZPGqIvPk

between the 1:00 and 1:04 how is this possible?

Whoa, yeah, how do you do that? o_O I always bypass those poles, and I only just recently learned how to change direction while swinging, but I've never seen any instructions on that move!

Anyone? Bueller?

UTWarden
24th Jul 2007, 15:23
Whoa, yeah, how do you do that? o_O I always bypass those poles, and I only just recently learned how to change direction while swinging, but I've never seen any instructions on that move!

Anyone? Bueller?

Exactly, and that's not me doing it, the trick with that move is you really don't lose momentum and gives you some Extra critical time.

Anyone care to explain this?

jjshusband
25th Jul 2007, 03:01
PULLIN MY HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can someone save the game right after the doing that and post the file her :mad2: :mad2:

boots
25th Jul 2007, 03:30
can someone save the game right after the doing that and post the file her :mad2: :mad2:

Someone already did. (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=69892) ;)

Jezyk
25th Jul 2007, 18:36
You can also look for the fly mod :) I think someone post it a couple of pages earlier...

Tombstone2
6th Aug 2007, 21:33
Ok....Ive watched the video for this shortcut and it looks sooo easy, so why cant I do it ?

Shoot the switch - no probs, shoot the birds - no probs, shoot the switch again - no probs, run off platform and shoot grapple NO CHANCE!!!

I just cannot make this jump, or rather I can make the jump but she will not grapple that ring. Am I missing a button press or summit cos I fire the grapple, the grapple retracts and Lara gets frazzled...any tips would be nice!

Sorry if this question has already been asked but I'm a bit too stressed to read the whole thread due to this stupid sequence of jumps...!!!

Xcom
6th Aug 2007, 21:45
I just cannot make this jump, or rather I can make the jump but she will not grapple that ring.

Make sure you have "hints" enabled in the options.

After killing the mutants, shoot the timer to fully extend the platform. Do not waste any time. Tip: shoot as you are making the approach to jump. Run and jump exactly in the direction of the 1st ring, as shown in the vid. Make sure you don't jump too early but actually from the very edge of the platform. Important: when you jump, DO NOT release the jump button; keep holding it. If you have hints enabled, you'll see grapple icon on top (also seen in the video). Usually it appears when Lara is actually already starting to fall down at the end of jumping arc. At that precise moment, release jump and fire your grapple.

jeffareid
7th Aug 2007, 00:48
On some PC's (faster ones), this sequence can be impossible or next to impossible, because Lara simply can't make the initial jump to the sloped ledge. I posted about it in this thread:

system speed affects game (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=71291)

Here's a video showing the problem, and how using fraps to slow down my system affect the game so that Lara would make the inital jump properly.

tragpbug.wmv (http://jeffareid.net/tr/tragpbug.wmv)

Here's a video showing a successful run, using fraps to capture the video:

tragp1.wmv (http://jeffareid.net/tr/tragp1.wmv)

On my system, a PC, using interact while wall running doesn't seem to make any difference.

Kilo
7th Aug 2007, 15:02
I thought it was pretty easy. Took me maybe 2 or 3 attempts.

Didn't realize you could skip the poles but that doesn't look easy.

Tombstone2
7th Aug 2007, 20:46
Make sure you have "hints" enabled in the options.

After killing the mutants, shoot the timer to fully extend the platform. Do not waste any time. Tip: shoot as you are making the approach to jump. Run and jump exactly in the direction of the 1st ring, as shown in the vid. Make sure you don't jump too early but actually from the very edge of the platform. Important: when you jump, DO NOT release the jump button; keep holding it. If you have hints enabled, you'll see grapple icon on top (also seen in the video). Usually it appears when Lara is actually already starting to fall down at the end of jumping arc. At that precise moment, release jump and fire your grapple.

Thanks for the tip. I can do that jump now, I was letting go of the jump button too soon.

Is there any tips to make her climb the rope straight away cos no matter how I try, she just insists on swinging instead of climbing. If I can just get her to climb the rope instead of going swinging I'll be out of this dreaded place...!!!

Xcom
7th Aug 2007, 21:06
Is there any tips to make her climb the rope straight away cos no matter how I try, she just insists on swinging instead of climbing.

The safest way: as soon as the grapple attaches, release all buttons. As far as I remember, that should stop her swinging fairly quickly. Do not panic here. LOL. It may take 2-3 seconds for her to settle down, but you generally have plenty of time left.

Then hold Interact button and press [Up] button. (you might need to tap [Up] several times before she actually starts climbing up)

LisaB1962
7th Aug 2007, 21:06
Just take your finger off the left analog and she'll dangle, then try to climb. :thumbsup:

Tombstone2
7th Aug 2007, 21:19
Nice one folks, just hit the checkpoint....That defo was not fun, the next ones are easier yeh ?

tinknocker68
8th Aug 2007, 01:23
The Great Pyramid has to be the most difficult/frustrating level I've ever played for any game. EVER

Iron_Man
20th Aug 2007, 02:00
Ok guys, after 4-5 days I passed that tricky part with jumping, but what should I do with the creature that do everything I do? I opened that upper door, went there, pulled that thing near it, and opened "lava floor door", but when I go to the other side it closes... What should I do? How to kill that "mirror creature" and pass to through the upper door?? PLEASE HELP I'M GETTING REALLY PISSED HERE!!!

Jezyk
20th Aug 2007, 05:23
You just have to be fast and get the creature to jump in the lava before the hole closes.

jeffareid
20th Aug 2007, 06:19
How to kill that "mirror creature"I made a video. Main thing is to safety drop off the side instead of going back to the ladder.

tragp3.wmv (http://jeffareid.net/tr/tragp3.wmv)

tiger
20th Aug 2007, 14:41
(To CD, that area has two rather marginal clues in Lara's Journal.)
Something about creatures in wall pods. (Duh?)
And at the next point, you will get this clue.
And that creature seems to mimic my moves? (good detail)

But, with other puzzle-games, they will continue or add spoilers like this.
The creature is the problem. . .
Now, open a second problem with lava.
And this would be another page in Lara's Journal, to just flip to?
Now, run, turn the table and go to the other side, to get these two problems, together.

(Btw, I am not criticizing your very fine presentation, jeffareid.)
But, to CD, your Lara's Journal actually became a sad joke, you know? ****
And Lara's Journal could have reduced this FAQ/Walk-through mess. :thumbsup:

Kilo
20th Aug 2007, 19:31
The Great Pyramid has to be the most difficult/frustrating level I've ever played for any game. EVER

You simply must be joking.

Jezyk
20th Aug 2007, 20:00
YOU must be joking :/ . Look at people's comments on the forums, look under The Great Pyramid videos on YouTube and see what people go through with this level. :mad2:

Randy 54
21st Aug 2007, 01:58
It's no joke, I'm still on the ledges part and it's been days since I got there.

tiger
21st Aug 2007, 02:13
It's no joke, I'm still on the ledges part and it's been days since I got there.

What's the biggest TRA Game-killer, at the Pyramid Torture, for you?

Is it that Killer-camera or the sloppy wall-run, that's now your worst enemies? Or could you patiently work all of that out, without those killer-timers for the platforms and especially for those "disappearing grapple-rings"? :eek:

(Crystal Delights, to me, killing those timers would mean a lot.) :thumbsup:

Kilo
21st Aug 2007, 20:22
YOU must be joking :/ . Look at people's comments on the forums, look under The Great Pyramid videos on YouTube and see what people go through with this level. :mad2:

I have played the game and, unless you are discussing artifacts/relics which do not interest me and I have not tried to find, completing this section is not as difficult as has been stated (i.e. the most difficult/frustrating level on any game). It is quite obvious what jumps have to be made and completing them is a matter of practice (can't imagine why someone would need more than 5 or 6 attempts). I am not even an expert player of these games.

JKCarrier
21st Aug 2007, 22:30
It is quite obvious what jumps have to be made and completing them is a matter of practice (can't imagine why someone would need more than 5 or 6 attempts).

Guess you'll have to stretch your imagination a bit. I never did manage to beat that timed jump sequence in the Pyramid. Finally gave up after a couple of days of playing the same sequence over and over again. Most of the game I could handle, but there were a couple of tricky button combos (adrenaline dodge, wall jump) that were just beyond me. I'm glad it was easy for you, but not everyone has the same level of skill.

Randy 54
22nd Aug 2007, 00:13
@ Tiger

The ledge where you can skip the poles and jump directly to the grapple hook had me stumped. I didn't realize that The ledge she's standing on is retracting back into the wall moving her farther away from the hook. I kid you not, it took me 50+ trys to get it and I did it today. Each jump has to be dead on with no time to waste. On the last wall run, the camera shifts behind her causing the direction position on the stick to change for the final jump to the next hand hold column. A really dirty trick. I was ready to give up, but I got determined to figure it out and move on.

Jezyk
22nd Aug 2007, 05:01
I have played the game and, unless you are discussing artifacts/relics which do not interest me and I have not tried to find, completing this section is not as difficult as has been stated (i.e. the most difficult/frustrating level on any game). It is quite obvious what jumps have to be made and completing them is a matter of practice (can't imagine why someone would need more than 5 or 6 attempts). I am not even an expert player of these games.

Well then I guess to you these hundreds of players that are stuck on this part for days are just clumsy stupid people that don't know which jumps to perform, and only got to The Great Pyramid by randomly pressing buttons on previous levels, huh? :o
And now think a little, if someone played Obelisk of Khamoon (and whole Egypt actually) and made it through these timed trap jumps, there must be something wrong with this part if they get stuck on it for almost a week, or even give up and uninstall the game or download fly mod. Even some walkthrough writers comment that the producers have gone too far with it. If that doesn't get to you than read this topic, read comments under Pyramid videos on youtube and see what people think about this part.

jeffareid
22nd Aug 2007, 06:19
completing this section is not as difficult as has been stated.Apparently, it depends on the platform, some console versions seem to be easier than PC versions, especially if on a fast machine, where some of the jumps are just plain buggy, as shown here:

tragpbug.wmv (http://jeffareid.net/tr/tragpbug.wmv)

By using fraps to capture video, and slow down my machine, the game works properly, and I was able to get through the 3rd platform sequence. On my machine the shortcut jump from ledge to grapple doesn't work, so this is full sequence in the video:

tragp1.wmv (http://jeffareid.net/tr/tragp1.wmv)

Mangar The Dark
22nd Aug 2007, 15:36
Without the shortcut, I think I would have just given up. With the shortcut, it's still challenging, but not unreasonably so.

I do wonder, though, if this sequence is somehow a mistake. I can't imagine they intended it to be as tough as it is, especially considering how simple the next two parts are in comparison. It almost seems as if the timer wasn't programmed correctly, and the player was actually supposed to be given a longer time to complete it.

Randy 54
22nd Aug 2007, 20:09
I wondered about that too. Another problem I had was once she jumped from the first grapple, she wouldn't land on the slide. Instead she landed above it on some kind of flat surface and she would stand there eating up the clock. By the time I moved her forward, there wasn't enough time left to do the next wall run.

Mangar The Dark
22nd Aug 2007, 20:41
I wondered about that too. Another problem I had was once she jumped from the first grapple, she wouldn't land on the slide. Instead she landed above it on some kind of flat surface and she would stand there eating up the clock. By the time I moved her forward, there wasn't enough time left to do the next wall run.

Yeah, that happened to me, too. Actually, I didn't even realize there WAS a slide there at first. For some reason, it's really hard to see on my computer. So I kept thinking I needed to do a jump away from the wall while on the first grapple, which was driving me nuts. Then I watched the YouTube video and realized that there's a slide for her to land on (but, like you said, she often lands above it and gets stuck for a moment.)

LisaB1962
23rd Aug 2007, 02:44
Yeah, I landed in "no man's land" too.

I wouldn't have been able to do it w/o the shortcut. No question. Lara is just not responsive enough to make those quick switches on the poles, and the Frustrate-O-meter goes up very rapidly as a result. If I think it's me, I will keep trying no matter what; if I think it's the game, I'll give up. I have no fun fighting a game.

I'm not sure what the programmers intended. It's possible the dude who tested this section can also jump cancel in DMC3, a move I can't even do once, much less regularly. Some guys can really do timing moves and spend a lot of time studying character animations to determine how to exploit them.

Most of those guys don't play Tomb Raider though. ;)

NightRain'06
23rd Aug 2007, 02:58
I'm playing the game in PC so hopefully this time around I won't have her die so much....
Or as I'd like to refer to it as "The numerous Terminator deaths from T2: Judgment Day." :D
I've beaten the PS2 version.

And I agree the timed sequence to get to the above platforms seemed too short or tight overall IMO.

This following modified re-post is for Mangar the Dark, Randy 54 and others. Again, I'm hoping you all will benefit from my "trick". :)

This specific part of climbing up the platforms in Lost Pyramid was a HUGE pain to overcome and I was about to give up but didn't ! For me, I couldn't swing on both rings consecutively and have killed her numerous times because the time felt too short for me to have Lara progress around the room and to the first above platform.

Here's what I did.

So after beating the mutants, you know that timed switch you have to shoot at on the right wall near the top ? Shoot it until the ring protrudes fully. Then hang onto the first ring with the grapple. Now, here's a little difficult part where you have to practice many times unless you've mastered it. First, you have to climb up the grapple by maybe two steps before swinging. When you do swing and release the grapple towards the slope, I don't know if you've noticed but if timed perfectly, she WILL STAND on it. This is the trick ~ DO NOT MOVE. Immediately press your Manual Zoom button on your keyboard or press R3 on PS2 controller. The camera will reset behind her shoulder. Now aim for that same ring switch and shoot it again until the ring protrudes fully; this will buy you extra time to latch onto the second ring behind her. Slide down the slope and grapple onto the second ring. Since you have the extra time, you can swing two to three times to give her momentum to grab onto the pole with the crevasse in the far end of the opposite wall. Then grab onto the second crevasse spot on same pole and jump to the above platform.

Kilo
23rd Aug 2007, 20:18
I am actually tempted to play through this section again to see what all the fuss was about. ;)

I played it on the PS2 and I don't know how much easier it is this way. It basically seemed to me you had to try it a few times, die, then realize you had to do it perfectly, stand near where you make the jump when you release the timers and then just do it. I knew it was difficult but didn't experience the problems that others appear to have.

Randy 54
23rd Aug 2007, 20:26
@ Lisa B

I feel the same way about how she responds to button pushing. Her reaction time is too slow, I would never have been able to do it either without the shortcut and I still came in with a nano second to spare. I see that sequence on youtube and I can't believe someone is actually playing it. Do you think it's on auto-pilot or somrthing like that?

dcw123
23rd Aug 2007, 20:27
Why can so many people complain about this level. Its not even hard, once you know how.:rasp:
I have it on PC. Lock on to the target and fire as you run to the slopes/ledges. Let go of the gun button and jump. As soon as Lara lands halfway on the slopes jump and qrapple staright away. Jump off at the top of the first swing and HOLD the jump button down.
Use the interact button to move faster too.:rolleyes:
This bit took me 5 mins or less on my first playthrough about a week after it came out in shops!!!:D

TR_Gnut
23rd Aug 2007, 23:23

Standing on the flat spot, you can target the grapple shooting target, shoot it until you have max time, then turn an go down the slope. This way, you have oodles of time to do the wall run.

Randy 54
23rd Aug 2007, 23:45
I tried that, the lighted symbols came on but nothing else happened, so she had to take a dive so I could try again. I also tried shooting across at the next button so I could deal with the next batch of winged ones, as soon as I shot, She died on the spot. I also tried the trick with the Centaurs going down to the cave and shooting at the walls. I shot my way through 3 health bars. When I surfaced, there they were waiting for me. So I don't know what else to say about all of these tricks, they just don't seem to work for me.

LizzyMM
31st Aug 2007, 04:04
I'm so glad someone started a thread on this horrible, frustrating, I almost gave up area!! It is without doubt the hardest part of the game. I am a TR fanatic but I honestly got to the point where if I couldn't do this part I was going to quit. 30 Reloads you say, I wish!! I tried, slipped, dropped, and died for SIX HOURS!!! Nice sunrise. (Stop laughing!!) LOL. I was also motivated to get through but this was just plain sadistic. Yes, 5 more seconds would have helped. But what I really wanted here was a save after I killed the mutant bats. At least I could have reloaded and started with the series of jumps. That would have been awful but to rekill those bats over and over and over. WHY??? What's the point. I already killed them. All that did was give me a blister on my left thumb. (Stop laughing!!) LOL. The series of jumps is what the challenge was here. And I was playing in Easy. I don't think so. I finally get over to the column to grab the crevice and she didn't grab it. I don't know why. Reload. Reload. Reload. Drop. Drop. Drop. Soooooo close. I don't know why she wouldn't grab that crevice. Why she did the time she did, I don't know what I did differently. She just grabbed and totally shocked me. Yes, yes, I know. I could've stopped anytime but I am playing with a handicap and if I couldn't do it now, I couldn't do it ever. So I had to get it or quit. So once again I will suggest to them to give us save anywhere in easy mode. This would have been ideal for me in this situation. Also, yes, NaughtyGirl, I'm no spring chicken either!! LOL. They should take into consideration everyone is playing the game from their own personal level. Not everyone is a teenager that can see and flex easily. All of that would be addressed in an easy mode with a save anywhere feature. Those of us that needed it would be able to play through the game and not quit from total frustration or inability to finish. That way everyone could chose their own personal preference. I really hope they do this on the next TR game.

moliketombdestroyer
1st Sep 2007, 04:59
OMG YES!!!!! I almost gave up just because of that part! It took me like two days to do and i was like, the only reason i'm still trying is because this is tomb raider and i luv tomb raider.

but yea, horrible part. Evan more difficult than the last two bosses.:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

thecoolstinger
1st Sep 2007, 07:53
the shortuct was crazy hard for me to attempt so i did it the normal route. ive done it now numerous times on difficult and once on time trial. it takes a few expletives just dont break anything. remember they give you enough time to do it the normal way. its getting a bunch of combos right in the right order. kill natla, may the schwartz be with you.

Scott =]!
1st Sep 2007, 10:10
Do what I do when i play tomb raider...

Put a song on run as fast as you can pawn everything (except natala because it buggs so i cant get to her so i only killed her once! GUTTED!!! but meh im gonna get the Wii one soon) all while singing and dancing. For example now.. I was just running around Eygpt singing
"Vi sitter här I venten, spelar lite DOTA
å pushar på å smeker,
med motståndet vi leker
Vi sitter här I venten, spelar lite DOTA
å springer runt å creepar,
och motståndet vi sleepar"

Likay
1st Sep 2007, 11:36
Hey Scott!

I didn't know that ridiculous song found the way over to Scotland. :rasp:

cheers

TR_Gnut
2nd Sep 2007, 20:00
But what I really wanted here was a save after I killed the mutant bats.

There is one for the first 3 levels.
I am old and slow so I have to find easier ways to get through the tough stuff.

After killing the two beasties on the third ledge, instead of going for the grapple, backtrack to the corner column, drop down and then jump backwards to the starting ledge. This jump down cost 1/2 health so be ready.

Then backtrack almost to the beginning of the level to get a checkpoint. Then when you return to the TOD (Tower Of Death) you get another checkpoint at the first ledge. Now you can go through the first 3 sections without any beasties. This makes it a lot easier getting through the third level. Plus you have a checkpoint at the first ledge if Lara becomes a crispy critter.

Janine
3rd Sep 2007, 00:00
That is an idea, the birds make me very mad and out of concentration for the jumps.
Instead of the artifact you get an hartifact!!!!!:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Janine
3rd Sep 2007, 20:49
There is one for the first 3 levels.
I am old and slow so I have to find easier ways to get through the tough stuff.

After killing the two beasties on the third ledge, instead of going for the grapple, backtrack to the corner column, drop down and then jump backwards to the starting ledge. This jump down cost 1/2 health so be ready.

Then backtrack almost to the beginning of the level to get a checkpoint. Then when you return to the TOD (Tower Of Death) you get another checkpoint at the first ledge. Now you can go through the first 3 sections without any beasties. This makes it a lot easier getting through the third level. Plus you have a checkpoint at the first ledge if Lara becomes a crispy critter.

I tried this a few times but i fall dead.
It would be nice to get rid of those stupid birds, it is difficult enough with that terrible camera.

LizzyMM
4th Sep 2007, 02:41
Thanks TR Gnut for the hint but you know what I did!! I saved at the check point on top of the Tower and then copied that to another save card. Now when I get to that point on a replay I can just skip that area and start at the top. I'm getting too old for this and I don't want another health issue!! LOL.:)

Scorpio2
10th Sep 2007, 17:10

I too, am trying this way ater seeing the video on YouTube, BUT...I cannot seem to get the jump sequence down to run at the wall to grapple the ring. I did it once, (ONCE!!!!!), and can't seem to get it right. There is a certain area she is to jump from off that ledge at the wall, but she keeps grappling too soon or too late. Any help from anyone on this?? This is the most frustrating TR game I've experienced and have played them all. I am using a PC. Thanks anyone.:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Janine
10th Sep 2007, 21:14
I also tried the grapple but it didn't work, so i did it the normal way and tried it so many times and wanted to give up, but suddenly i made it, i couldn't believe.
Most irritating were those birds and the first jumps at the pole and that turn around.
You have to push the jump buttons immediately.
So don,t give up.
Practice, timing and a little bit luck.
If you get frustrated walk away and trie later.

Good luck!!!!

Janine
10th Sep 2007, 21:26
I also tried the grapple but it didn't work, so i did it the normal way and tried it so many times and wanted to give up, but suddenly i made it, i couldn't believe.
Most irritating were those birds and the first jumps at the pole especially where you have to turn around.
Push the jump buttons immediately and don,t give up.
Practice, timing and a little bit luck.
If you get frustrated walk away and try later.

Good luck!!!!

Beechwell
11th Sep 2007, 00:17
I too became very frustrated with this episode when first playing through the game. After some 30 odd tries I finally made it. Later I did that level again to collect secrets, and this time around I had much less problems. So yes you can get acustomed even to this series of jumps.

Here are some hints to those who are still stuck there (apologies if they have been mentioned already) - this is without any dubious shortcuts

- the two birds: Those I hate the most. always my camera screws up and I jump in the wrong direction and fall down. If you manage to establish a constant jumping left and right while shooting, you should be fine. I think even running left and right constantly should do the trick.
After the birds, obviously shoot that target again till it's full ;)

- The two horizontal poles: Fortunately you can practise these without falling to your death repeatedly. Just let yourself drop back to the platform after successfully changing direction on the 2nd pole.
- The aim is to leave the first pole without a full turn around it -> press jump just when Laras gets both hands on the pole
- On the second pole you have to change directions without stopping the movement. for this you have to press the opposite direction key (from the one you have been going so far) at the right time, about when she is a the top of the swing. Try this out until you can safely pull this off. Only then continue to jump to the ledge. (there are actually two animations for direction-change, I don't know exactly how to trigger each, but both should work)

- When running along the wall, don't adjust the view!. The game will do this for you and if you interfere you will only make Lara stop -> instant doom.
When at the end of the wall-run just let go and trust that the slope will be there for you to land on ;)

- At the second wall-run, if I remember correctly, you have to wall-run for as long as possible before letting go, otherwise Lara won't be high enough to grab the ledge. But this shouldn't be such a problem.

Anyways good luck to those who still struggle with this, and heads up, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :) (but that's Natlas flashlight :eek:)

nancyca
11th Sep 2007, 02:41
this level was no fun at all, it seemed that instead of skills it was a matter of luck to get through :/ but the flying mutants knoking me off inmediately from the retracting ledges were nothing compare to de %$&(&) camera, which Moved one side to other with no purpose but to change my controls directions, so lara stoped when she wasn´t suppose to -.-" with no necesity at all, I don´t know what they wanted to do with the camera but in the whole game it's always points the wrong direction, stucking itself at an absolute zoom in of lara and I had to stop readjusting it all over again.

Finally I began jumping to the grapple ring one time after another in suicide jumps until I got to hit it with the grapel and that way I got through inmediately I think I could have done it using the poles but I wasn`t in the mood of spending hours there trying

The reason tr1, 2, 3, etc. weren't like this and were the wonderful fun, for me is quite simple, programers had little things to work with, some plain wads, some not very good graphics, the psx engine, and they had to use their wit at its limit so they could create the ilusion of big places, to make puzzles, just like people does with lvl editor, so the games were rich. Now they have got amazing graphics and tecnology, lara looks like a real woman, the grass looks like real one, she got some amazing new movements, but this is not the very essense of Tomb Raider, there are plenty of nice looking games like trA beautiful, linear, the game itself tells the player where to go and what to do, and the game I love most Tomb Raider is not suppose to be like this, you are supponse to go all over the place and find your way yourself.

Dusan
11th Sep 2007, 04:46
I also had to try it MANY MANY times to finally do it just right.
I also was thinking about quitting (but I didn't...)

The thing that helped ME was to turn off the music so that I could fully concentrate on the moves and timing ;)

Scorpio2
12th Sep 2007, 02:44

This was the best HELP that has been in this part of the game. I followed your advice and sure enough...she jumped to that corner rock and stopped. Then you can lock in your guns and shoot the button again, turn her slightly so she doesn't fall off...slide, grapple, and run the wall twice with the extra time, you can make it!!!! YEP! I made it and got through those two horrible grappling rings. Thanks a bunch to all for the tips, but especcially you, NRNR. :D I can go to bed tonight and not dream about getting through this part. ;)

Scorpio2
12th Sep 2007, 17:49
Anyone having trouble with the camera on this ledge??? I make the jump fine, then the camera goes wacky:confused: and can't get Lara high enough to jump to that broken column to get to the last grapple ring??? How do I get the camera right to jump...(I'm on a PC), and if I'm facing the wall, she won't jump high enough, then out of time!:mad2: :mad2: I HATE these grrapples! Every time I make one finally, then there's another that CD wants us to do. This is by far the most frustrating part of TRA except for that Artifact I never got in that timed room with all the columns, etc. Had to finally give that one up! Any help here anyone??? :confused:

nancyca
13th Sep 2007, 05:15
Anyone having trouble with the camera on this ledge??? I make the jump fine, then the camera goes wacky:confused: and can't get Lara high enough to jump to that broken column to get to the last grapple ring??? How do I get the camera right to jump...(I'm on a PC), and if I'm facing the wall, she won't jump high enough, then out of time!:mad2: :mad2: I HATE these grrapples! Every time I make one finally, then there's another that CD wants us to do. This is by far the most frustrating part of TRA except for that Artifact I never got in that timed room with all the columns, etc. Had to finally give that one up! Any help here anyone??? :confused:

I think the camera view is related to lara's view in the game, I played the ps2 game, but while doing this jumps and grapple wall runs I had to readjust de camera slightly so I jumped moving both analog sticks, try to find out which keyboard buttons control the camera, and tap them gently while performing the jumps. If you make lara run straight and move the camera she will change directions, when the camera moves itself your controls change. (sorry for my bad english :$)

Janine
13th Sep 2007, 12:58

The camera is terrible you can correct a little after shooting those birds than shoot the grapple again and make a good jump.
I replayed this level and it was hard again, also here you have to trie a few times and you will see if you jump correctly you go high enough to jump to the other column.

Succes!