PDA

View Full Version : What is your play style?

member_10074094
26th Jul 2012, 15:58
I'm curious as to what kind of things people tend to choose for class/race/gender in mmorpgs or some single player rpgs

example, for me:

Gender:* I am a male and tend to play male.* I more easily identify with a male character, and if that character is supposed to be me, then its easier for me to accept that I'm a guy... some people think of it as controlling a character, not a representation of them but a puppet, and I've been using that mindset a little bit lately but I still prefer to be represented as what I am.

Race: Since every game has a different set of races, this might seem hard, but everyone (I think) is looking for something specific, for me its always races related to trees and forests... so, in most cases, Elves.* Viera would be my choice from FF series (yes, there are male Viera), and the Sylvari from Guild Wars 2 look amazing to me.* I also like things associated with darkness/gothic, so the Castanics from Tera online appeal to me.

Class: my class playstyle is either stealthy, bursty assassins or mages.* I enjoy doing massive damage on a single target quickly, and I love the chaos that popping out of stealth can do to other players in pvp.* I prefer the occasional burst of damage here, rest, and another burst over sustained dps of characters like archers/hunters, which I feel are boring... I also love mages, prefering (again) burstier damage over sustained and also over minion control (necromancy, summon, ect) and stealth mages are the best for me...

I just want to see what prefered roles are for players, I expect that sustained dps (archer/hunters, warriors, ect) will be the most popular, but I want to see what Square-Enix fans think

member_10078668
26th Jul 2012, 16:38
Gender:*I usually play female characters in MMORPGs since a lot of male character sprites tend to look very bulky and DBZ-like. I like muscular builds, but I'm not a fan of steroids-overdose.

Race: I generally gravitate towards elves in MMORPGs. I'll sometimes pick beast races if they're available. Rarely make human*characters since they're in every game. No orcs, trolls, or other gritty humanoid characters for me.

Class: I prefer classes with high DPS so rogues and thieves are usually my cup of tea. Also do warrior/swordsman classes once in a while. I stay away from magic users (priests, warlocks, sorcerers, mage, etc.) as I'm never very good at using them.

member_10074094
27th Jul 2012, 19:50
you share my interest in burst damage then... and, since no one else is posting, if I were to post the results of this "survey," it would be that Square-Enix gamers like burst damage... I see...

member_10328220
27th Jul 2012, 19:56
It really depends on the game in some ways.

For MMO's....

Gender: Usually male, since i'm*a guy, and i usually try to use the same name if i can for every game i play (which currently isn't many)

Race: Usually human or dwarf.* Sometimes i like the power a dwarf can bring to a warrior-type, but that's secondary. I prefer the human's ability to adapt to any situation.

Class: Usually a mage type character. Magic is a fun way to fight, and takes more strategy than the beat-them-up warrior types.

For non-MMO's:

For D&D/Pathfinder*i usually like a warrior class because it takes less time to make the character.

For Rifts.... that can be anything at any time.

member_10000903
28th Jul 2012, 08:23
Gender: If we are talking strictly MMORPGs, I will choose a male character as, like others have said, I would identify with that person. If it is a single player RPG, I will play through the game once as a male character and then switch over to the female if there are any tangible differences with the plot and dialogue.

Race: As humans are typically billed as a jack-of-all-trades race in a lot of online games, I may go with them as they are simply the safest route. However, in games like Final Fantasy XI, I have been known to go either as the TaruTaru or Galkan simply because I feel I'd be better off if I just focus on specializing on one job and just be really good at it rather than be distracted.

Class: I really enjot playing the support role, whether that means being the meat shield/tank or the White Mage. I like being able to help others even if they are not in my party.

Sonicfayt
28th Jul 2012, 08:56
Gender: Either/Or. For me, the female characters I create in an mmorpg is my partner in crime. Other times (Usually with male creation), I want that character to replicate me as much as possible.

Race: Try to be anything but human. We're all already human, picking a race with different features helps me stay interested and have give more imagination to the story or plot.

Class: There's something about leading the team, diving into a huge group of enemies, soaking up major tons of damage and walking out alive that gets me hyped. So I guess my preferred class would be tank, lol.

YoshiKatYoko
28th Jul 2012, 11:19
Gender: A mix. I don't play MMORHG games. On Single Player, I tend to use more females than males. Cmon, female can kick butt too ! (Fran lol)

Race: Any race. As long as it isn't an ugly race, then so be it.

Class: I love sabotaging and buffing parties.*

member_10829610
28th Jul 2012, 13:32
...I can only go by what I did in Skyrim :3

Gender: Usually more geared towards males, but I use both genders.

Race: Usually human, unless other races have some abilities that interest me.

Class: Usually Warriors. I like hack'n & slashin'. I also use Archer or Mage as well.

hmzfier
28th Jul 2012, 15:23
Gender: I like picking male characters just because I'm a male myself. The only game that I have considered playing a female character was Flyff, just because they were really cute, lol.

Race: Normally a human race, but I used to play world of warcraft and I picked undead, just because they were so cool. The human race in WoW looked too bulky and short, so the bottom line is that I pick based on how cool they look.

Class: Mainly assassin type classes, or dark wizard type classes like the warlock in WoW, or the necromancer in guild wars. I like picking classes that have a "dark" feel to them because I think that adds character :P

DerekMaverick
28th Jul 2012, 15:45

Race: Depends on the type of game. Human or Elf usually(Chiss in SWTOR).

Class: Usually the stealthy type class. Once I get board of that I then go and play a warrior.

member_10074094
28th Jul 2012, 19:29
Gender: If we are talking strictly MMORPGs, I will choose a male character as, like others have said, I would identify with that person. If it is a single player RPG, I will play through the game once as a male character and then switch over to the female if there are any tangible differences with the plot and dialogue.

really?* it is the opposite for me... most MMORPG's have no noticable different in gender (aside from SWTOR, which has a single player story mixed into the* mmo).* For single player games, relationships are often part of the story and I find it weird playing as a female and having a male partner, or a female as a female partner.* This isn't that I have anything against these relationships, but I am a guy who is only attracted to females, and for female to female, I think a guy playing that kind of relationship isn't really roleplaying, he's being kinky.

member_10000903
28th Jul 2012, 23:01

really?* it is the opposite for me... most MMORPG's have no noticable different in gender (aside from SWTOR, which has a single player story mixed into the* mmo).* For single player games, relationships are often part of the story and I find it weird playing as a female and having a male partner, or a female as a female partner.* This isn't that I have anything against these relationships, but I am a guy who is only attracted to females, and for female to female, I think a guy playing that kind of relationship isn't really roleplaying, he's being kinky.

It depends on if we're talking about Western or Japanese RPGs in that regard. In the West, it seems like they really don't want to put too much effort into developing their main character so instead they decide that would rather have the player create their own. In Japan, howver, the prime focus in some respects is character development, so even your main character, be it boy or girl, has their own particular set of paths. There are also plenty of really fun JRPGs where you can only play as a female, like in the recent Atelier games (not that those games really focused on a romantic relationship or anything). Same goes for games like Final Fantasy X-2 where the romance is already there or Final Fantasy XIII with Lightning. If something does exist but changes based on what gender you play, that's why I would play the male first then switch over to the female on curiousity alone. I guess in my opinion, so long as the story is solid and that I care enough about the characters, I don't care who I'm playing because I'm too busy enjoying the experience.

By the way, Hyouka is a great show. Just throwing that out there.

Syn
8th Aug 2012, 06:08
Gender: Always male, more confortable due to my agressive play style.

Race: * **Usually humans or a combat oriented Race, but I love making great sword/axe/spear wielding humans that can take on superior combat * races, adds that extra challenge for me.

Class:* warrior/Tank, love being at the head of combat dealing big hits and taking big hits, also like hybrid warrior classes that can augment their offensive potential to the fullest with area attacks and spells, usually one of the bigger damage dealers in a party.

member_10086740
8th Aug 2012, 11:14
Race: I go for anything that's combat heavy, mostly human due to them being well-rounded fighters in any game. I do however like to try out the fancy creative races just because the artists took so much time to make them, why not use 'em?

Class: Fighter/Tank. Like Syn said, It's awesome getting up in the front of combat and watching those numbers fly. I find it a thrill in just keeping enemies focused on me and off my party members. Plus, if I die, I always have someone else to blame... J/K.

Gender: Might sound a tad inappropriate, but I'd rather stare at the back of a female for 100's of hours than a dude... and almost nothing's cooler than watching a chick beat the crap out of a 20 foot monster. But when it comes to single player games I'm always male due to relating with the story and trying to feel like I'm part of what's going on.

member_10074094
10th Aug 2012, 09:51
By the way, Hyouka is a great show. Just throwing that out there.

Yes.* Yes it is.* Glad someone knows my avatar/sig

Gender: Might sound a tad inappropriate, but I'd rather stare at the back of a female for 100's of hours than a dude... and almost nothing's cooler than watching a chick beat the crap out of a 20 foot monster. But when it comes to single player games I'm always male due to relating with the story and trying to feel like I'm part of what's going on.

I don't think its innapropriate at all.* I have the same mentality, playing a male in a single player game... my mmorpg gender's are mixed lately, basically based on how each looks in game (I think the males in Tera online are too feminine, or they are big dragon-scally freaks that aren't interesting to me anyways).

I will be playing GW2, for example, and I plan to have a human female elementalist... they look amazing... but I also plan on having some males mixed in (sylvari ranger and asura theif).* Can't wait for that game.