PDA

View Full Version : difficulty poll

Demarest
28th Jun 2007, 22:04
This is NOT about length!

I see posts saying the game was too hard written as if the person has never known a challenge before. I see posts saying the game was too easy written as if the person played the whole time with a trainer. And all points in-between.

You can't please everybody as a result, if you release a product (especially to return customers), you might very well lose people towards either end of the spectrum. I thought it would be interesting to get a feel for this. Feel free to vote and post your opinion.

Again, this in NOT about length of game! It's about the challenge level.

Rai
28th Jun 2007, 22:16
Well Overall I thought it had a nice balance.

Although some of the difficulty factor wasn't with the puzzles but were with the difficulty in executing some of the moves, such as wall runs (Egypt). Lets just say the difficulty was misplaced. I'm not sure if that's the right words I'm looking for. The puzzles were more physical. It would be nice to have 1 or 2 puzzles that are more thought and logic based.

Tomb Radar
28th Jun 2007, 22:40
I thought it was a nice balance, but the pole & slamming wall combinations in The Obelisk Of Khamoon ruined the fun for me. Those parts were cruel. :(

Ricardo221
28th Jun 2007, 22:50
Some areas had me running to the nearest GameFAQs page every few days. Other areas were too much a mimic of the TR1 counterpart, so I knew what was going to happen and some of the surprise was gone.

I gave it a balanced vote.

boots
28th Jun 2007, 22:54
Lets just say the difficulty was misplaced. I'm not sure if that's the right words I'm looking for. The puzzles were more physical. It would be nice to have 1 or 2 puzzles that are more thought and logic based.

Agreed. The puzzles were fairly easy to figure out, too, the hard part was just trying to get to some places without falling to your death fifteen times in a row. But I don't know if that counts as challenging so much as irritating. :p Although I seem to have better luck than others with the wall runs, and I never reached a point where I was ready to dropkick the game out a window. But in my opinion there were a few too many instances of frustrated relief at just getting through a room, as opposed to enjoying the accomplishment.

I still intend to replay it a few more times (I have to listen to the Egypt commentaries! :D ) but there are certain parts that I'm dreading going through again. Those were only a few places, though. Most of the time it was more easy/moderate. And fun!

...I should probably mention that I just started the Great Pyramid level, so these opinions are subject to change to ":mad2:!!!!" in the near future.

TheRidster
28th Jun 2007, 22:57
Now I found this to be only a minor problem but I felt in places either the game was too easy or too hard. I agree with certain peoples comment regarding the puzzles being a little too easy to figure out and could have required more logic to solve them. The hard parts in the game were the overly frustrating parts! An example would be trying to get to a certain ledge, especially in The Great Pyrimid. I hope future Tombraiders will be less linear too.;)

Lara Cruz
28th Jun 2007, 22:59
It had a nice balance IMO.

Captain Mazda
28th Jun 2007, 23:03
Very nice balance.

Hippie
28th Jun 2007, 23:20
This one was definitely more challenging than TRL. I know most everyone, including myself, would like to see more puzzles to flex our minds, but a lot of the actions in this game had me working for hours. Sure after a while, I'd be so frustrated trying to make it through somewhere I'd forget to look for relics and artifacts (I like to find those on the first run), but trying to work the controls to make some of the moves.

And I liked that techniques used in one boss fight weren't applicable to the next. I like that I had to figure some new method to defeat a beastie. That's a puzzle in itself.

Xcom
28th Jun 2007, 23:25
Overall, I thought it was a little on the easy side, but still fun.

During my first run through the game, I struggled the most with Great Pyramid timed jump. That was the single, most challenging (or rather frustrating) spot in the game for me personally.

With that said, however, if you take into account time trials as a part of difficulty equation, the challenge level increases dramatically. :nut:

Lectrician
1st Jul 2007, 07:19
The Great Pyramid may end up being the end of the line for me. I am just not fast enough trying to climb this thing. I can't even get half way before the poles retract.

Bampire
1st Jul 2007, 07:32
Middle answer.

Xcom
1st Jul 2007, 08:32
The Great Pyramid may end up being the end of the line for me. I am just not fast enough trying to climb this thing. I can't even get half way before the poles retract.

Try alternative method (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0OxsU6DQzA).

Phlip
1st Jul 2007, 08:37
A balance.

I think CD nailed the difficulty with this.

Alexlovesguns
1st Jul 2007, 09:37
Before Egipt it was a breeze.

But some parts of Egipt... are very frustrating, the slamming doors really made me mad, the ones with the blades and poles where Lara insisted on slipping for no reason, i had to retry that one over and over untill Lara decided not to slip :mad2: .

The sound of Lara being crushed will give me nightmares.

Demarest
1st Jul 2007, 13:19

If you're on PC, you can grab a save game after that point.

Jezyk
2nd Jul 2007, 18:09
Well, for me it's like 90% areas are great - either easy & relaxing or medium with some creativity and perceptiveness needed which is rewarding. I love new greek levels, especially the remastered puzzles in St. Francis Folly. BUT... 10% are the horrible, annoying, frustrating, irritating (and totally non-TR1, speaking of the old times) jumping sequences which can drive you to the verge of madness, and which give neither fun nor satisfaction.

LisaB1962
2nd Jul 2007, 18:23
The problem for me wasn't the difficulty, it was why it was difficult.

There were parts that were much harder than they should have been due to the camera/WASD controls. I don't like feeling like I'm losing over things I can't control, i.e., sudden camera shifts that bring Lara to a screeching halt or animations that don't have enough cancel frames.

I've played tough games before---the third Nightmare battle in DMC is insane, but I never felt like I was fighting the game to beat him.

Mertz523
2nd Jul 2007, 18:26
The most fun I have ever had being frustrated.

Thanks Crystal Dynamics and Eidos!!

If you're on PC, you can grab a save game after that point.

Going off-topic here, and I really don't want to start anything, but why the community save games for PC users? I play on PS2 and I do something continuously, almost obsessively, until I achieve said outcome. Getting flustered and then succeeding is all part of the fun of playing a video game.

I'm just curious, is all. I know I use "character enhancing" cheats sometimes for a select few games with my GameShark, and I guess I can see a save game as being the same thing. But why give up, resort to a save game to skip past a part, and know in the back of your mind you didn't stick it out and complete said part yourself?

Mangar The Dark
2nd Jul 2007, 18:28
Overall, it was the perfect difficulty level. Some things took me a couple of tries, but it almost always felt like success was within reach, so it never got TOO frustrating. I did struggle a bit with a certain wall-running bit in Egypt, and now I'm stuck at the Great Pyramid's infamous timed sequence. This is the only part of the game where I feel they really messed up. Yes, I can understand that it should be difficult since it's near the end, but why couldn't they have put a checkpoint after I killed the mutants? It's not that the mutants are hard to kill (they're really not too bad at all), but it just gets so tedious having to fight them again after every mistimed jump. It's getting to the point where I just can't be bothered trying anymore because it's so repetative.

LegendLost
2nd Jul 2007, 18:31
I have to say, I'm replaying AOD right now, and compared to that and previous Tomb Raiders, Anniversary just didn't seem that hard. But compared to Legend, it was Godly. :)

Demarest
2nd Jul 2007, 19:22
Going off-topic here, and I really don't want to start anything, but why the community save games for PC users? I play on PS2 and I do something continuously, almost obsessively, until I achieve said outcome. Getting flustered and then succeeding is all part of the fun of playing a video game.

I'm just curious, is all. I know I use "character enhancing" cheats sometimes for a select few games with my GameShark, and I guess I can see a save game as being the same thing. But why give up, resort to a save game to skip past a part, and know in the back of your mind you didn't stick it out and complete said part yourself?

Probably best to ask the people partaking of them, where it's on topic, instead of the person providing the service a few people have found quite valuable, eh? ;) Or I suppose you can check out the results of this topic. Why sacrifice the entire game when you only find the ONE part to be unpassable for you?

I guess the real question is: If nobody's getting hurt, what difference does it make? :rasp:

Lectrician
2nd Jul 2007, 19:31

I didn't use any save game features, but I did use a video here and there.

In the back of my mind I know that Lara never got the scion either. She died in the mountain caves. It was her 7,oooth ghost that eventually beat the game.

Mertz523
2nd Jul 2007, 23:10
Probably best to ask the people partaking of them, where it's on topic, instead of the person providing the service a few people have found quite valuable, eh? ;) Or I suppose you can check out the results of this topic. Why sacrifice the entire game when you only find the ONE part to be unpassable for you?

I guess the real question is: If nobody's getting hurt, what difference does it make? :rasp:

:o (Shrugs)

Again, was only curious. Glad you are able to help others, Demarest, keep up the good work and the services you provide for those in need. :thumbsup:

As for me and my VERY SMALL library of PS2 games (not bragging, so please do not take it as that) EVENTUALLY nothing is unpassable for me... ;)

Demarest
2nd Jul 2007, 23:39
You don't have to tell me! I was not long ago stuck doing security work at this warehouse. Had Link to the Past DX with me and had never played it before. I like doing things on my own, but there were several parts where, if I had internet access, I would've looked up the answer. But since I didn't, and wasn't going to for hours, I kept at it. I ended up beating the game on my own and it was that much more rewarding.

But that's a personal decision and I won't judge or obstruct those who would prefer a helping hand. In all fairness, most people seem to be using them to pass button mashing points of the game. Which really aren't what TR was all about in the first place.

Lectrician
3rd Jul 2007, 01:19
I really wanted that relic bad so just spent an hour redoing the hell that is the pyramid...I couldn't get the shortcut to work...almost did twice....and then, just because the lord has a sense of humor, I got to where the timed part is over and was on the ledge of safety..................and she fell off while pulling herself up.

Never seen that happen and my neighbors must really love me about now.

TR4ever
3rd Jul 2007, 22:32
Its difficult and challenging and mess your nevers some time but thats true TR fellings, I´m on Palace Midas now.