PDA

View Full Version : Is the new Manual Grab something you agree with?

Qbert
28th Jun 2007, 15:55
I'm just wondering, would most of you have preferred manual grab if it was shared with the old TR style? (one button = shoot/grab) I've never been able to get the feel of it as a separate button on any configuration and figure out why it was in their interest to change it.

Demarest
28th Jun 2007, 16:05
I can see how making it a different button for the first time would be hard to adjust to. But to answer the topic title, it's optional, so of course I agree with it.

Qbert
28th Jun 2007, 16:30
I can see how making it a different button for the first time would be hard to adjust to.

It's pretty funny you mention that because I have a habit of forgetting I'm using a new control sceme and often wonder "hey where is she going" while she plummets 30 stories below. Sometimes it's so awkward that I fear of accidentally letting go, but on the other hand I'm able to control her better and do some parkour just for the heck of it. Hell NOTHING beats the thrill of doing a flip prior to grabbing on at the last second.

boots
28th Jun 2007, 19:36
It's pretty funny you mention that because I have a habit of forgetting I'm using a new control sceme and often wonder "hey where is she going" while she plummets 30 stories below. Sometimes it's so awkward that I fear of accidentally letting go, but on the other hand I'm able to control her better and do some parkour just for the heck of it. Hell NOTHING beats the thrill of doing a flip prior to grabbing on at the last second.

I have that exact same problem! I keep trying to sprint, oddly enough, since that wasn't even in TR1 but boy could I have used it here. When I was halfway through Peru I decided to load up the original to see how it compared, and I could barely get her through the caves because I kept forgetting what controls I was using. It felt extremely silly trying to move the camera on a controller that didn't even have an analog stick. Maybe if I'd been playing on a PC I wouldn't have that problem. :D

Anyway, as for the topic... well, to me it makes a lot more sense to have the "action" buttons combined, but I haven't really messed around with using manual grab that much. But since it is optional, I like having it there. I do wonder what made them change that, though.

NightRain'06
29th Jun 2007, 05:45
I don't even turn the Manual Grab option on at all because then I'd be sacrificing her more than I do now ! :o The auto-grab takes my mind off anytime she's on the edge of the platform and when an enemy's shooting at her or something to force her off, she'd grab onto the ledge immediately.

If I had the option on, I know I'd be forgetful about her being able to grab onto the ledge to prevent herself from falling.

Seriously, if I recall correctly, the Action button in TR3 had her do several tasks such as grab onto the ledges, pull levers, grab and hold movable objects and some others I think. Now that we have a separate Grab button option to enable, it feels awkward to me. I was trying to get used to it when it was on but just couldn't. If the Interact button would also have her grab, then maybe I'd feel more comfortable. Then again, maybe not. I don't know.

The last paragraph was typed before I read Boots' post. So if I sound like a broken record.... I sound like a broken record. :p