PDA

View Full Version : stuck to khamoon's first artifact

Astara
28th Jun 2007, 01:09
This is a stinker. I'll probably work my way through it eventually, but still stuck -- climbing up in a room that starts with a rising platform at the bottom (and darts going between walls at 2 places above).

Have made it to 2nd checkpoint above the switch -- at least when I die, just have to drop down off of return-spot to pull level -- but getting up fast enough to loop around the pole that's released -- haven't even gotten close yet. Getting a bit annoyed. Same boring routine: drop, pull level, attempt to climb up ~2-3 levels and loop around an extended pole before it retracts -- but not making it (hearing it slide back in) while trying to cross top level -- then just dropping/leaping to floor (suicide) to start process again...

Would be 'nice' if the difficulty setting also applied to time-limits in the game.

sigh
:-(

NaughtyGirl
28th Jun 2007, 01:25
I feel your pain...I don't really see myself getting that artifact for a long time, if ever, because after the 30th try I was just too through. Especailly once the grapple section stopped working with me to let me gain enough momentum to grab the ledge on the first swing. Plus hearing that nice thunk as the pole goes back, realizing I'm not even near the pole.

I could see if it was a relic....but it's just an artifact, dang!

Not even the fire room was quite this annoying. The Horus one was, though.

Demarest
28th Jun 2007, 01:58
Wasn't sure what you were talking about at first (there are two stages with Khamoon in the title ;)).

I can get this one repeatedly now. Always with but a couple seconds to spare. I think the trick IS to do the wall run in your very first pass.

At least the checkpoint allows you to drop right down to the lever.

l.a.r.a
10th Jul 2007, 23:35
I can get this one repeatedly now. Always with but a couple seconds to spare. I think the trick IS to do the wall run in your very first pass.

this wall run is driving me nuts ... i'd really like to know how you do that.
i didn't have any problems with wall runs in previous levels ... but this one has kept me busy for a few hours :(

at the first pass i always end up a body length under the ledge ... if i try to do more passes it gets worse ... she -struggles- a few meters left & right but i get nowhere near the ledge...

i'm close to despair right now, it's a pity because i loved the game up to that point. :o

Demarest
11th Jul 2007, 05:04
i'm close to despair right now, it's a pity because i loved the game up to that point. :o

Well then I have some good news for you. One of the jumps in this room is the hardest in the game and you're passed that. Plus this is one of the hardest (if not THE hardest) artifact to get in the game. Just beware of Great Pyramid.

To answer your question, before jumping away from the wall to grapple the ring in the first place, I make sure I'm flush against the wall. This makes it so that as soon as Lara is grappled, she's running and not using that time to swing towards the wall. Secondly, as soon as I jump, I'm pressing grapple repeatedly. If you and I are not hooking at the same time, our rope lengths could be different. Finally, you want to press AND HOLD Jump just before she's at the peak of her run. Make sure you press it towards the end of her run in that direction and make sure once you press it, you hold it. And in case it matters to you, I keep the the camera facing the wall so that I know she's spending the entire time on the wall running and not the game misinterpreting my controls as skidding to a halt.

Hope that helps you get through.

l.a.r.a
11th Jul 2007, 17:17
Hope that helps you get through.

thanks. that did it for me... after a dozen tries ;)

i didn't went for the artifact tho ... i've seen enough of that room for a while :)

Demarest
11th Jul 2007, 17:52
Understandable. I'll bet you breathed a big sigh of relief when you made it to the next checkpoint though, eh? ;)

l.a.r.a
12th Jul 2007, 02:08
Understandable. I'll bet you breathed a big sigh of relief when you made it to the next checkpoint though, eh? ;)

spot on :D

Closet Gamer
12th Jul 2007, 22:20
I was stuck on that part in obelisk khamoon for days :mad2: wanted to thrown controller at the tv but after reading everyones advice i tried some thing different and did it :D I was making it more difficult than it should have been :scratch: Now i can enjoy playing again until it happens AGAIN :nut:

Demarest
13th Jul 2007, 01:49
I was making it more difficult than it should have been :scratch:A LOT of people do this. Thanks for sharing that our input helped you :) Good luck with the rest of the game.

Scorpio2
19th Aug 2007, 21:46
I was stuck on that part in obelisk khamoon for days :mad2: wanted to thrown controller at the tv but after reading everyones advice i tried some thing different and did it :D I was making it more difficult than it should have been :scratch: Now i can enjoy playing again until it happens AGAIN :nut:

Ok, I'm into this artifact and have been following all of the info put out here by a lot of apparently, very good players. I have played all of the TR games, and cannot get past this blasted wall:mad2: :mad2: Please, what was the one thing you did different that made the difference. I've tried all the ways to jump...then grapple, etc., but she doesn't run high enough to grab that ledge and keeps dying. Would really love to move on, but hate to give up here. :(

jeffareid
20th Aug 2007, 04:12
The jump at the end of the grapple swing is "scripted". Lara needs to be within an invisible zone on the grapple swing, and she'll make the jump. The "center" camera doesn't seem to work at all here. I started Lara with down (back), jump and grapple, but then kept the camera pointed at the wall and held left for the wall run. Even doing this, it was a bit random. It may be the timing of the start of the swing. I made a video of a good run, but the jump at the end of the grapple seemed marginal.

traok1.wmv (http://jeffareid.net/tr/traok1.wmv)

update - There is enough time for a second swing. Again, I aimed the camera at the wall and used left, right, left for the grapple swing.

traok2.wmv (http://jeffareid.net/tr/traok2.wmv)

2nd update - Later on in Obelisk of Khamoon, there's another grapple / side jump where the "scripted" side jump is very position sensitive.. Line up Lara's toes with the bottom of the "skirts" on the wall, then do the grapple swing and jumps, as shown in this video:

traok3.wmv (http://jeffareid.net/tr/traok3.wmv)

Regarding Great Pyarmid, it's the 3rd and 4th platforms that can be an issue. If you're on a fast PC, a game bug can prevent Lara from making the initial jump, which I've posted about in another thread. No spoilers here as it's obvious what has to be done, a video of the 3rd platform:

tragp1.wmv (http://jeffareid.net/tr/tragp1.wmv)