PDA

View Full Version : How many original fans are out there?

TheRomans
27th Jun 2007, 03:53
How many of you kids (probably older than I am) remember playing the original Tomb Raider? Who else remembers that sense of wonderment and adventure back in '96? Tomb Raider was the first actual video game I ever played, I was just curious as to who else appreciates the nostalgia attached to this game.

Faye
27th Jun 2007, 03:59
Same with me, except I didn't get the game until 1997, aged 10 (I didn't even get a PC until December 1996!).

I recently replayed TR1, for the first time in a couple of years now. Finished it yesterday. Today I'm probably going to start Anniversary and see how it compares (to be honest I doubt it will really live up to the original, for me).

TheRomans
27th Jun 2007, 04:10
It's different in a lot of ways, but you won't be too dissapointed. Just don't expect a literal translation into the new engine.

Demarest
27th Jun 2007, 04:17
How many of you kids (probably older than I am) remember playing the original Tomb Raider? Who else remembers that sense of wonderment and adventure back in '96?
*raises hand* It was quite a unique experience. Even to this day.

Ghostwolfalpha
27th Jun 2007, 08:51
I played Tomb Raider 1 at my friend's house when he bought Play Station 1 back in 1996, at first I was so poor at the game that Lara kept dying and my friend constantly cursing at me as well. :D :D

One thing I didn't quite understand was that why Eidos was trying to "kill off" Lara in TR:Revelation and then spawned TR:AOD? I have to confess that my passion towards TR game series has gone cold over the year until Crystal Dynamics took it over, and when TR:Legend was released last year (and subsequently TR:A) that reignited my passion towards the series again, so good job and hats off to you Crystal Dynamics.

RainaAudron
27th Jun 2007, 09:28
I played TR3 back in 1998 I think...It was my first 3D experience and I remember that I was amazed - it was hard to move at first but when I got used to it, I enjoyed the game very much, I bought TR1,2 and 4 later.

Trinity88
27th Jun 2007, 09:55
i loved the original tomb raider adventures! i didnt actually play it my dad did and i loved watching!! eventually i did play the games and they were just like the best thing since sliced bread!!!!

LarasBFF
27th Jun 2007, 12:30
I remember standing in line at a computer/game store in the mall w/ my cousins waiting for it.... I was so excited I actually started to tear up...lol. Nobody understood my excitement, but I was happy that there is actually now a game that girls could play (and really get into)! We finally had our own hero!!

*I'm 28yrs old btw...lol*

Mangar The Dark
27th Jun 2007, 12:52
One thing I didn't quite understand was that why Eidos was trying to "kill off" Lara in TR:Revelation and then spawned TR:AOD?

According to the people at Core Design, they were a bit tired of Lara. They didn't like the fact that they HAD to make a new TR game every year. They're creative people, and they wanted to work on other things, but Eidos kept telling them they had to churn out another TR. So in TLR, they went all out, made a huge game, brought her back to the tombs, and decided that would be her grand finale. They said they actually celebrated when it was done because they felt free now that Lara was dead.
Of course, they then got word from Eidos that they needed to make yet another TR game anyway. So they made Chronicles. They admit that their hearts weren't in it, though.
Eidos wanted still more TR after that, so Core began to work on AOD, which was technically TR, but different enough to allow them to explore new areas.
Well, we all know how that turned out. TR was then taken away from Core and given to CD. The funny thing is, I remember a lot of us on this message board felt bad for Core at that time, but in truth, they were glad to be rid of Lara!

Getting back to the question at hand-- I played the original TR in 1997, the summer after graduating college. Now I'm playing TRA, exactly ten years later, and loving it. It's different enough to feel new, and yet there are those fun moments when I realize, "Hey! I remember this room!"

Raziel_Requiem
27th Jun 2007, 13:58
I didn't aactually play Tomb Raider until around 1998 on the Playstation, but I have fond memories of watching (I was happy to sit back and watch too) my friend play it on PC at Uni when it first came out.

Needless to say, I have been a fan ever since.

Ricardo221
27th Jun 2007, 14:33
I remember all the original hype. "Idiana Jones" with a female lead. I remember all the protest from PETA. "Lara kills innocent animals!"

TR1 consumed about 3 months of my life. I didn't feel the need to eat or shower so long as I had a controller in my hand [my first adventure was on the Saturn, not PS1].

One thing I don't really care for on TRA is music ALWAYS plays when you confront animals. Every creature has its own theme song, and you don't shoot enemies in silence. There is always some music playing.

The single most amazing experience for me in TR1: The sheer size of Midas's Palace, especially getting that last lead bar: go in the room downstairs, pull the block which knocks down the ceiling, climb around the sandy destruction, get to the top with the alligator pool, jump across the huge chasm onto the tiny ledge, shimmy to a small cave, make your way around the upper perimeter of the level, pass through the ape garden, climb up and jump onto the palace roof, and finally get that lead bar! TRA's version: grapple 3 rings on the column support, pull them down, the column falls and - plink plonk - there's the lead bar!

OK, enough Ricardo.

Mick3D
27th Jun 2007, 15:09
I First played Tomb Raider back in 1996 shortly after it was released. I remember how the puzzles use to always confuse me, but that was what I loved about it: The puzzles, the environment, the interactivity for those who are true fans, you already know what I'm going to say.

I felt the same for Tomb Raider II, but after that I really lost interest, one of my mates was big into all the games after that, but I never was. I hadn't even thought of playing Tomb Raider again until 2 days ago when I saw the Anniversary Edition in Game and asked about it, as soon as I heard a remake (As well as changes here and there) of Tomb Raider I, I thought it would be interesting to play.

How right I was. It's great and has definitely re-ignited my interest in Tomb Raider again, that's for sure.

*honey*
27th Jun 2007, 15:29
i still love TR1, as much as i love all the other TR games including anniversary (i still absolutley love them tho its just TR1 beat them by just a little bit)

dcw123
27th Jun 2007, 15:37
When I was 6 I got TR2 first. I could never figure out the 1st room!!!
I could never find the ledge.
So I still kept it but 'borrowed' TR1 off my cousin.
Me and my Dad kept it for over 8 months!!!
I completed that and played TR2 again, now used to Lara's controls etc.
I have EVERY TR up to date including ALL the PC & Gold versions,Level Editor and the Gameboy series!! Thats 17 tomb raiders in all!!!
I AM TOTALLY OBSESSED WITH LARA AND AM HER BIGGEST FAN!!!:D

gsusfrk
27th Jun 2007, 15:42
How many of you kids (probably older than I am) remember playing the original Tomb Raider? Who else remembers that sense of wonderment and adventure back in '96? Tomb Raider was the first actual video game I ever played, I was just curious as to who else appreciates the nostalgia attached to this game.

wow, way back when, when I was a young lad, I remember sitting under my computer while 3 guys beat the game for me... thats how fun it was for me :D

Dark Era
27th Jun 2007, 15:49
Yep, i'm a original TR fan. I bought TR1 on the PS-One the day it was released back in 1996. I still have all the original PS-One versions of TR but no PlayStation. (got to ask my sis if she still has the ps-one)

Last year i bought a collectors box of all TR classics released by Eidos for pc but i can't get TR1 running properly. At least i can enjoy the other 5 classics.:D

gsusfrk
27th Jun 2007, 16:05
well if u have a ps-2 it'll work... maybe... :scratch:

Dark Era
27th Jun 2007, 16:13
well if u have a ps-2 it'll work... maybe... :scratch:

Thanks for the advice but i gave my sis the PS2 also last year. I love to work and play with my laptop a lot. I'm 34 and i'm not into gameconsoles that much anymore. Last year i won a X-box 360 in a contest and bought TR: Legend for it. It's amazing and it's the only game i have for the 360. Too bad my laptop isn't strong enough to run Legend or Anniversary on it.

Legend activated my love for the Tomb Raider games again.

gsusfrk
27th Jun 2007, 16:18
hey thats okay, ...but y u still got the PS-One game then if u dont like consoles :P anyways, laptops r amazing ....and yes i agree that they're a little on the low side of performance...well depends what you got... but yea, PC's are the next best thing to consoles :)

Dark Era
27th Jun 2007, 16:23
, ...but y u still got the PS-One game

I kept them because of the memories (wish i could travel back in time. LOL.) and as collectors items. I would love to buy a PS-2 just to play TR1, who knows maybe i will. :D

gsusfrk
27th Jun 2007, 16:26
hey, you're 34... you're still young... well... if I'm 19 and you're 34 and you're "still young" what does that make me... unborn :scratch: lol, anyways yea, I think jus for memories sake get one... but I've never really been too fond of being in the past... I like the future better... :) or even the present... yea :) I like to live :) yea, i really dont want to be 10 again... really i dont... oh no

Dark Era
27th Jun 2007, 16:34
hey, you're 34... you're still young... well... if I'm 19 and you're 34 and you're "still young" what does that make me... unborn :scratch: lol, anyways yea, I think jus for memories sake get one... but I've never really been too fond of being in the past... I like the future better... :) or even the present... yea :) I like to live :) yea, i really dont want to be 10 again... really i dont... oh no

Hahaha.... I agree with you in all what you say. :D
It's better to live in the present then in the past. Oh what the H.... i'm going to the store and buy me another PS-2 with Anniversary, play also the old games and enjoy life.

Uhmm.... thinking about me and being 10 again..... no thanks :lol:

gsusfrk
27th Jun 2007, 16:45
:lol: so true

Tara C
27th Jun 2007, 16:46
i played the first one when i was 6 when my mum bought a PS1 and the game aswell and it was the first game id ever played and got into and ive loved it ever since :D ive followed it from the begining and always will :D

Dark Era
27th Jun 2007, 16:50
ive followed it from the begining and always will :D

Yep, me too.

That's also why i joined the TR forum. I'm browsing the net every day for info and stuff about TR.

bedazzled
27th Jun 2007, 20:02
My first TR game was TR2 when it was first released. Then I got Tr1 and have been hooked ever since.:)

Godfather77
27th Jun 2007, 20:06
Yeah I own and have played every TR game that has come out on my PS2.
First game was TR2 and then I got TR1 which seemed a bit of a let down after the fun-fest of TR2

Best 3 are TR2, TR4 & TR Anniv

A remake f TR2 would be pretty cool as long as they kept it pretty faithful to the original :cool:

Squishy
27th Jun 2007, 21:47
TR1 was the first game I ever bougt for my playstation and I played it until I could play it no more... meaning no my disk is dead :eek:

NaughtyGirl
27th Jun 2007, 23:39
dang....I can't remember :( I just know I liked it because it wasn't a cartoony typye of game like all the rest seemed to be, or sports, or fighting. I do remember that it frustrated me and I started getting into it, and I had to buy the walkthrough to figure it out (I was not a video game fanatic growing up and I'm still not, so I happily cheat, and I am not the most nimble either).

LOL Then waiting for new TR once I was hooked; truthfully I like them all except AOD but mine was so buggy and it disappointed me so bad-it had that clunky Resident Evil movement that I hated (plus jacked the zombies too**** ).

I like the look of Legend and Anniversary...but the original just kicks a**** IMHO! Even if I can't remember actually what made me buy it and how I felt when I played it.

Deekman
28th Jun 2007, 00:15
I think I came onboard round about the time TRIII came out, but I started with One and quickly caught up.

Bampire
28th Jun 2007, 00:32
*Raises hand!

LisaB1962
28th Jun 2007, 00:35
TR2 had just been released when I got interested, but I played TR1 first.

LegendLost
28th Jun 2007, 02:58
I started with the Tomb Raider back in early 98, still amazed at the graphics, I played Tomb Raider and immediately bought the second (better yet, had my parents, I was like 9) So then i got the second, love it, found out a third was coming out. Got that. Then I found out a fourth was on it way, got that! Then I find out a 5th is coming out and i got that on Christmas. I lost interest a little but then AOD came out like 2 years later after much delay! Fell in love all over again. Then I sort of lost interest and then out of nowhere 4 months before Legend's release I fell in LOVE beyond belief, and now here I am one year later, the most obsessed ever, joined the forums again(don't remember my old account anything) and loving Lara!

Fan all the way! Not from day one sadly, but I was like 6 years old then? So if i was older, I would have been. Haha.

TheRomans
28th Jun 2007, 05:27
My parents bought it for me when they got their first Windows 95 rig, and it was the first real game I had ever played. I'm eighteen now, so Tomb Raider got me young. I remember talking to all of the kids in my first grade class about how great it was.

Man, times change.

tiger
28th Jun 2007, 05:39
Well, would being the very first graphics builder and modifier, for something that was finally called "Nuke Raiders" for TR1 and the rest, count? :D (And if you can guess what "Nuke Raiders" means then you're probably an old fart, just like me!) :cool:

... Jim ...

Towel
28th Jun 2007, 05:52

Ahh. Back in the Day. Yes it was one of the first or very first game i ever played. I Also Am attached to the Game.

dovbniak
28th Jun 2007, 06:55
Did I play the original TR? Oh yeah. I just bought a brand new pc (Pentium III with 128 mg RAM with a 16 meg video card).

My computer video card came with a demo of Tomb Raider, both the ordinary resolution (pixels the size of my wristwatch) and this "new 3d version". Back in 96 video cards did not support the 3d rendering so I had to buy a second video card called a Diamond Monster Stealth 1 MG 3d accelerator.

You had to plug the card in your motherboard and use a cable to connect both cards together and then to your moniter (state of the art 15" monitor). It even had a separate power supply!

The game blew me away!

I am now sitting here, 10+ years later with an AMD 3400+ system with 2GIG RAM and an accelerated PCI video card with 512 mg RAM plus a nice 21" widescreen monitor.

Lara hasn't aged a bit! I wish I could say the same about myself :D

Tomraider
29th Jun 2007, 05:47
im a original! Whoo!lol

TheRomans
29th Jun 2007, 06:01
I really enjoy reading all of these stories, guys. It's striking how similarly profound an experience this game was for so many different people.

Dutch_Croft
29th Jun 2007, 08:50
I have played it as soon as the original game out, but then...I'm old lol! :lmao:

game_freak
1st Jul 2007, 12:50
i loved the original tomb raider adventures! i didnt actually play it my dad did and i loved watching!! eventually i did play the games and they were just like the best thing since sliced bread!!!!

i watched my dad on the t.r games too! this may sound weird but being young i was too scared to play cuz the wolves, bears, lions n zombies etc.. frightened me too much, wen i tried to shoot i would freeze haha lol:D im gd at it now though x

Hippie
1st Jul 2007, 15:38
Um...I'm not an original fan...I shouldn't be in this thread...I'll move on.

WaterRabbit
1st Jul 2007, 17:42
Yes I played the original as well. However, the real question is how many played the CORE game that spawned Lara? ;)

tombraiderxlegend
1st Jul 2007, 18:13
My dad always played it. He was the 10th buyer at our game store of it. I feel so proud. XD I never played it until 2000, we have all the games. I've went back and beaten every single game. :]
I <3 TR. Core and CD are good designers.
'Cept when Core went on their funky streak. xD

Taurus
1st Jul 2007, 18:20

I sat with the 1 of the original programers (Yatley,UK) and was demo'ed the game and was shown where first secert was.
He also had Tomb Raider jacket (Really nice), as far as I know only given to the team.

rabid metro
2nd Jul 2007, 05:08
when TR1 was first released, i was an N64 geek and didn't own a PS1 (or Saturn). at that time and without having played myself, i was a little shocked that my older brother let his kids (aged 12, 10 and 8) play such a "violent" game. being their "favorite uncle" (and more like a cousin), they showed me how they played the game and i noticed that even though they were having fun, they were missing a lot of things, since they liked to just rush through the levels and they always freaked when a "baddie" popped up. i was intrigued but i still didn't buy it. also, my brother only played TR1 because his kids did.

i got into the game when Aspyr ported TR2 for the mac. strangely enough, Aspyr later went back and ported TR1 after TR2. the fact is I didn't buy TR2/mac, it was a gift from my nephew/nieces. It was then that I was hooked.

i played TR1 through TR5 on the mac personally and shared playing them on the PS1 with my brothers kids. i was the TR guru and was equally adept at both styles of play: computer and console. I was forever pointing out to them the subtler aspects of playing, such as foreshadowing and the benefits of looking around or backtracking to collect secrets, etc.

TR6:AoD was the reason I bought a PS2! ... thank goodness Final Fantasy was also around. My brother was a PC user and I played (and patched) AoD on his computer. for various reasons, his family quit playing TR at that time.

it was a stretch waiting for Legend. The cool part is that even though two of my brothers kids are away at school, we're all back into TR because of Legend. Anniversary is over-the-top cool for us and we've already planned holidays/reunions when we'll play together (PS2, HDTV). of course, i'm still the guru ... and I can't wait for that wii port. wii will, wii will rock u ... (everybody sing it) ...

i managed to play all the bonus levels and other odd TR exports (gameboy, cell phone, just about everything except N-Gage, which I almost bought because it played TR ...) :)

since the mac is running Unix on Intel chips and is actually consistently growing market share (since the iPod exploded) I'm sort of in disbelief that there is no mac port. historically, in the TR world, the mac was always running late, but having nothing mac, since Legend, is a little pathetic. oh well, ... in any case ...

Raid On! :cool:

thecoolstinger
3rd Jul 2007, 23:25
yesh!

i remember diving the down the waterfall for hours just for fun and arguing about who got to play.

JunoJIm
4th Jul 2007, 00:43
I think I came onboard round about the time TRIII came out, but I started with One and quickly caught up.

Me too DEEK !!! I had just finished Indiana Jones & ??? game, and noticed TR III was on the shelf - why not ??? Hooked ever since...

About the same time, I found Theresa's Forum, remember that ???

winston
4th Jul 2007, 16:15
I'm an original fan!!! I'm 21 so I remember back in 1996 when TR1 came out- I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread :D
Although... the first game I played in full was TR: LR:rolleyes:

BLOWHARD
5th Jul 2007, 00:56
Now that I've joined this forum....

I had heard about 1 but couldn't play at the time, Mac only :( I GRABBED 2 as soon as the Mac version came out. That was in 98? Hmmmm...I was 34 then and I had A LOT more hair then :p I've been at it ever since. I was reduced to playing Legend on the PS2. PC/Mac is, in my opinion, much MUCH better for playing TR. I'm not a big fan of TR on the PS2.
To date TR2 is my favorite, I must have played it 10 times if not more!

If I grow up I hope to be a thug that Lara beats up :D

(of course I haven't grown up yet so I probably never will :lmao: )

boffin486
7th Jul 2007, 17:10
Yes, I am old enough to remember the first game, got it & was blown away by the graphics - couldn't believe how realistic the movement & scenery were - happily only a taste of what was to come! I originally played on a 486 Pentium machine with an Orchid 3D card added in & a whole 64Mb of Ram!!! Whoopee doo !!) Been through all the games to date, sworn copiously in all the appropriate places (of instant death) :eek: & still loving the game now! I haven't finished TRA yet but am enjoying it a lot - except for the bits where there are timed runs to get artefacts (DAMN that artefact 1 in Obelisk of Khamoon seems to be impossible!!!) Now I'm playing on a P4 3.4 with 2GB Ram and Radion X1600 screen card & 21" monitor - somewhat more whoopee doo than original setup from back in the day! :D
I have been trying to replay the original game but, oddly enough, The current PC can't run it properly at all!! Picture is very 'blocky' and game keeps crashing! Guess thats evolution for you.........

TR4ever
7th Jul 2007, 18:07
I don´t remember hoe old i was, probably 10 or something.

TheRidster
7th Jul 2007, 19:30
I'm one. Been playing Tomb Raider since the first one back in 1996 aged 14. I got seriously stuck in The Lost Valley. I had to keep asking my school friends for help!! Ah the memories!

boots
7th Jul 2007, 20:10
I'm one of those people who got into it by watching a relative play, since I wasn't really into games at the time. Officially I think I was the Secret and Ammo/Medikit Director, since I had to point them out whenever I saw them on screen. I'd sit by while my brother played 2, 3 and a little of 4, but we never finished that, and then eventually I decided to just play it myself. I started with 2, then went in order after that. But I still haven't finished 4. :rolleyes:

The first I saw of it was good old TR1, though. My brother called me up to his room to show me because the main character had the same name as me. :D And then he scared me with the t-rex. :( Which probably explains why I put the first game off for a while!

never_the_same
7th Jul 2007, 20:13
tr is the first game i ever played... 1. time i saw lara on poster, then my older brother brought home tr1, and i was recognize her from a poster and i wanted to play!! thanks to my brother, i get in love with lara (:) ) (!?) (when i saw tr movie, i get in love with angelina, and today i am still) and i didn't droped any of tr games, and i remember, for trl, on one magazine when i first time saw lara inside, i couldn't breathe, i think i was in paradise for the moment :)
her new look was so ultimate for me, and everytime when i launching tr, i am exciting as a first time... few gigabites her pictures on comp.. ad much more on disc... so i think i am a real tr fan...
so, 11 years being in love with some is not a litlle (lara), and even 5 yrs is not litlle (angelina) :) :) :)

never_the_same
9th Jul 2007, 19:16
i think i mist a topic, maybe, it doesn't matter...

tip
1st Jun 2008, 05:52
TR1 was my first 3D game in '96. I was around 16. TR is still the only 3D game I play. I have to finish Legends & Anniversary still. Tomb RAiders are becoming too easy though. AOD was buggy but fun to explore and lenghty too. The current CD raider games are more "sight-seeing-games". I also kind of hate the shiny object thingies and levels are too linear

Katin-ka
3rd Jun 2008, 18:04
TR1 was my first 3D game in '96. I was around 16. TR is still the only 3D game I play. I have to finish Legends & Anniversary still. Tomb RAiders are becoming too easy though. AOD was buggy but fun to explore and lenghty too. The current CD raider games are more "sight-seeing-games". I also kind of hate the shiny object thingies and levels are too linear

Me too! I started playingTRII-III...since than I loved the game...
with Legend(maybe because i stopped playing games, but MOSTLY because OF time limit) - i dont play..but I still remember those days when I was keen on TR!
So im an old fan!!.. New games are exiting - but too linear, or maybe im just not in the age of playing(already)..Anyway , I like following upcoming news about the new games - And who knows?maybe someday ill return to gaming.?(maybe if Aod sequel would be released, maybe if the game would be just...very good!)

WickermanT
5th Jun 2008, 03:33
I remember playing it the first time on the ps1 on a demo disc, then I went out and got the next day, as a matter a fact it was one of the first games I ever played and I'm still enjoying the series, after all these years.

ladylinnycroft
10th Jun 2008, 08:50
yes i remember sitting up with my hubby playing the demo disc til 2 or 3 in the morning..there was nothing like it lara was awesome..i also remember playing the first game without a memory card because i couldn't afford to buy one!

Artemis Lecter
16th Jul 2008, 00:36
I didn't start playing Tomb Raider until probably 1998... I thought it was MAD HARD :) It took me a long time to beat it. I adored it tho... I was probably ten when I started playing. I thought the game was just beautiful, especially the Egyptian levels.

I remember gettin scared outta my wits whenever that creepy music would come on and I knew something was gonna come out and try to eat me :lol:

lilhanhan
16th Jul 2008, 08:44
I've been playing it since I was 5 (with the help of my dad) back in 1996, and I loved it!

The atmosphere,the moments when you think your not going to make the big jumps and the creatures were all scary, but they were all great moments.

I felt like a videogame master, although my dad was mostly controlling Lara when I was pretty rubbish!

My funniest moment was, when we bought TR2 back in 1997, I was able to play the game on my own, I managed to get to Venice thinking I wasn't scared of anything in the game anymore...only to scream really loud when the dog popped up from around the corner with no warning!!! :lol:

Ah, I wish we were still in the 90's; it rocked... ^.^;

studiouslaura
14th Nov 2008, 03:50
Yep, I remember getting the first TR game when we bought our PS1 and being AMAZED at how realistic the game seemed, and I loved the music - still do, actually. I listened predominantly to the TR soundtrack music (from the movie and the video games) while I wrote my thesis - yes, sometimes I DID feel like I was trying to kill the T Rex, why do you ask? ;)

I love TR, and Lara, and am OBSESSED with her. Anybody remember the website "Jeeves: A Butler's Tale"? Ah, those were the days.

I CANNOT WAIT to play the new game - I have recently pulled out my copy of Legend and am replaying it. I never managed to finish Anniversary because I couldn't get through the pyramid level. Gah. :mad2:

Lara is my hero, and I would get a tattoo of her somewhere, but funds are short. :(

Desilu
14th Nov 2008, 04:02
My friend first showed me TR1 in 1996 on his computer. id be 9 years old then and i bought it from him 2 weeks after. From then on i bought every tomb raider game that came out including the odd ones like unifinised buisness. i dunno why but tomb raiders in my blood ive been hooked since day one. But as far as the old school tomb raiders go my favorite has got to be relvalations. You just get so attached to lara in that game. Tomb raider 3 was so much fun i thought. its just a nice old school game. SUPER amped for Underworld, its definatly bringing a lot to the table. I look forward to what comes after underworld. But unfortantly that means ill have to buy a PS3 probally.

gizmo
14th Nov 2008, 04:50
I remember when I started first playing it:)
My brother bought a PC GAMER magazine in 1996
And I played the tomb raider demo for city of vilcabamba.
I loved it so much I demanded that I get the game.
And since then I've been playing tomb raider
I was only In the first grade:D

Bampire
17th Nov 2008, 07:26
*Raises hand!

(I quote my post just to add more information, instead of editing it.)

I've been a fan since '96, and own all TR Games.

Arlene
18th Nov 2008, 04:32
I remember this being one of the first games we bought for the PS1. We got a PS1 in '99 and got TR1. I watched my husband play it and we were both blown away by the graphics and the music. It was fun. What was great was TR2 And TR3 were already out so when TR1 was finished we were able to go get those without having to wait! I didn't play them on my own til about 2000-01 or so. Then we got a computer and got online to the original Eidos site at the time it was royal blue with orange lettering. Ah, the memories.... Now the real question is: where are those original fans? inch, cool9, pip, racin, jewel, just to mention a few :)

Firestar
20th Nov 2008, 11:10
Yep original fan. I was about 9 or 10 when I played the first game back in the day.Played every game since and have loved every one - of course there were bad and good points about every game, but none of them had so many bad points that I didn't enjoy the games. Being that I still have PS2 I can still play all the old TR games which is great. Im currently replaying AOD at the moment - well when Im at my parents house rather than uni.. and once Ive done that I have a sudden urge to replay TR2. I dont know why.

Course the funny thing is I can remember being about 9 and telling everyone at school I had completed TR - I was really proud of this at the time!But this one girl told her mother about it - and then her mother had a rant at my mother about how she shouldn't allow her child to play such violent games!And that it would skew my mind and make me grow up bad! My mother laughed as far as I recall and told her that as I was her child she would decide what agmes were suitable and what games were not... this is the same mother who didn't mind me playing Resident Evil 1 when it was first released on the basis of Ive warned you its possibly scary if you scare yourself its your problem.Random segueway there :)

chriss_99
20th Nov 2008, 13:31
I remeber when I first saw Tomb Raider at my friend's house. We were both amazed by this game. We were 9 years old and were playing the game together. It was such a cool experiance. I'll never forget it. It's part of my childhood. I still remeber the screams of the atlantean creatures and the amazing Natla's voice. Anniversary is a good remake, I think the best that could have been made. However it lacks some details like the pulsating walls in the Great Pyramid, remember?

fempet
22nd Nov 2008, 00:38
hi,i just got to the stage where lara goes up a ladder and she is suppose to swing on a pole and there are water wheels and i cant seem to get around this stage
how do i get to the broken ladder on the right and climb up tothe poles on top of the wheels

Resy
23rd Nov 2008, 19:10
First time I saw Lara Croft was in a advertisement in Play Station Magazine and PC Gamer. I started buying up every magazine with articles about Lara and Tomb Raider. I didn't have a computer or a console that would be able to play it so I started saving my money. First time I got to play it was when my friend got a TR1 demo for his computer and invited me over to play. Man it was sweet.

I bought a PS1 specifically for Tomb Raider 1. But I couldn't find any copies in my area to buy so I ended up renting it from block buster. The first TR I was able to buy and play was TR2. What was cool is that by the time I had bought the PS1, it came with a demo disc that had TR2 demo on it. I played that for hours. At that time also block buster had TR1 (greatest hits list) for sale so I bought it as well. Been playing ever since.

Sadly I seem to have mis-placed Revelation :( which was my favorite of the classic Tomb Raiders.

jinty14
23rd Nov 2008, 22:22
Well I was a late starter with TombRaider and my first game was Revelation. Being well and truly hooked then got the Trilogy and have played every game since although AOD was rubbish in my eyes and I never got passed level 2 :mad2:. My faith was restored with Legend and now playing anniversary on the Wii which I think is fantastic. Its so much fun and cant wait to play Underworld. I think it would be brill if all the tombraiders were on Wii format I would definately get them all.

Samara
25th Nov 2008, 11:10
This is the 1st video game I played and I'll remember it for the rest of my life!;) :) :cool:

UMIST_For_Ever
25th Nov 2008, 13:12
I'm only 22 but I played every Tomb Raider.

For playability time, I think TR2 gave the largest time (the Temple of Xian took over an hour to do!)

briek
25th Nov 2008, 18:27
I didn't get the first and second games until 1998, so I interchanged playing them according to my mood. I remember TR2 better, because I always liked that one the most. Tomb Raider never gets old.

dollypeg
25th Nov 2008, 18:32
Im one :p I´ve been playing ever since my grandad got me my PS1 which came with TRII back in 98 when i was only 13.Now i have all the TR games and im still crazy about Lara.;) I remember playing TRII and couldn´t get past the T-Rex, so we went back to the store and got the walkthrough.I also have fond memories of playing TRIII with my mum.It was so cool.
At the moment im playing TR Anniversay as my pc doesn´t meet the requiements for TRU:mad2:

Lara Croft is my hero!! :lmao:

tiger
27th Nov 2008, 00:46
I remember appreciating TR when all other 3d-games seemed only like surreal shooters, just full of monsters and alien places, without any real-world feel.

Then I saw TR1 and said. . .
Now, this is the way that "adventure games" should relate to their audience. . . Simply and gradually pull us into a world of realistic creatures and far-away places that almost invite us to explore them. :thumbsup:

And almost my entire family has been slightly hooked on that theme, ever since.

(Excuse me, but this needs saying.)

To Eidos, CD and the "powers that be". . .
Please create a nice Shader2 tru.exe, so that we can all "keep on adventuring" in TR style, just like in your very fine TRA example. :cool:

And if you do not know this message, you should be ashamed of yourselves.
TRU - sh.2 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=3237351)
(Because they will be doing your very needed TRU work, mates.)

GroovyGran
28th Nov 2008, 15:48
I was 60 this year and have played every tombraider up to Anniversary, have just bought that now, but I think I am going to have to upgrade my PC for underworld, as the demo would not run. :rasp:

Nate 173
28th Nov 2008, 20:55
i was about 6 when my dad showed my all his tomb raider games 1-5
i would play them all day and i am 12 right now and i will be 13 december 2:D

i am mad:mad2: that tru will not come out for ps2 until janurary:eek:

Alex-Croft2
29th Nov 2008, 00:05

OMG I was around 8 and living in Mexico, which made the game even harder for me!! (I knew little English back then lol). But yes, the game as is is a challenge, and then being 8, and with limited English, I am proud to say I remember reaching St. Francis Folly; I'm a good player:) But Anniversary does bring back memories, and I personally think it's the best Tomb Raider in the present, alongside with the original of course.

tiger
30th Nov 2008, 01:17
I was 60 this year and have played every tombraider up to Anniversary, have just bought that now, but I think I am going to have to upgrade my PC for underworld, as the demo would not run. :rasp:

I know that feeling, GG.
A lot of us upgraded, for TRL and TRA, to Shader2 cards.
And a lot of Raiders enjoyed that normal and next-generation of TRL.
So, why didn't Eidos/CD do that very same thing with TRU? :scratch:

TRU - sh.2 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=3237351) (Where if we are extremely lucky, SunBeam and K^2 might fix TRU's major Shader3 problem?) :cool:

Seventh_Son
30th Nov 2008, 17:01
Well,,
I just got Tomb Raider Ann,my first of the series.I guess I never really took the time to get into TR1,my loss,tho.I really like TRA.I will keep an eye out for the older games of the series tho.Now if I can just get past that darn T-Rex:scratch: :D
S_S

Atlantis3735
3rd Dec 2008, 00:05
Originally posted by Goar
I've been a fan since '96, and own all TR Games.

Same. :)

Mr Croft
3rd Dec 2008, 12:58
Same. :)

That makes three of us :)

batotesic
3rd Dec 2008, 13:34
i'm the one...

tiger
4th Dec 2008, 12:54
(Can I join?) ;)
Played and loved TR1 and then did its very first mod with an artist buddy.

Error96_
27th Mar 2009, 01:44
Before TR1 I had only played 2D games. The original blew me away and still to this day I think it's an incredible game.

tiger
27th Mar 2009, 23:19
Before TR1 I had only played 2D games. The original blew me away and still to this day I think it's an incredible game.

I totally agree!
TR adventures simply used fairly realistic creatures within somewhat natural environments, which immediately made it a classic and a legend in my book of games! :thumb:

(But, sadly, I wonder how many "original fans" left because of TRU system requirements?) :o

999tacos
28th Mar 2009, 00:46
i was about 6 when my dad showed my all his tomb raider games 1-5
i would play them all day and i am 12 right now and i will be 13 december 2:D

i am mad:mad2: that tru will not come out for ps2 until janurary:eek:

Nice were kinda like the same age................ Hard Core Fan of TR........ i just need to get past one of the levels of TRU....... :wave:

jeffareid
28th Mar 2009, 01:53
Who started this thread back up again? Anyway, being an old guy, I also started with the original TR, and was quite impressed with it. The first time through Lost Valley was very memorable. I kept the boxes (also have a TR2 Gold pyramid box not shown in the picture):

http://jeffareid.net/tr/tr1to6u.jpg

rg_001100
28th Mar 2009, 05:46
(But, sadly, I wonder how many "original fans" left because of TRU system requirements?) :o

:D Still on about that. An interesting article was brought up, though, of a way that people could play these "high requirement" games without needing to upgrade, a service called "ONLIVE" (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=87109)... uses the internet to show the video. High toll on internet usage, though.

Raider7
28th Mar 2009, 23:46
Yep I'm an original Tomb Raider player. I have TR 1-5 on Ps1 Cd's and also have the first 5 games as Pc Cd's. I have AOD and Legend on Ps2. I have TRA on loan from my Nephew. I bought Underworld for the Pc. I have not yet finished all of the TR games.