PDA

View Full Version : Question about Larson, for those who have finished the game (spoilers)

RebeL_fARmeR
25th Jun 2007, 18:20
What did you think when Lara killed Larson? Dear old Lara didn't seem too pleased, but I was kinda glad to see the guy fall.

He'd been trying to kill Lara all day, he was a real creep, I wanted her to gat him from the very start.

As she was brushing her hands I said "Don't worry about it... he's a retard!!!"

Hit the polls:

Tiri Li
25th Jun 2007, 18:27
I was glad when Larson bit the dust. He was so..aggravating. Besides, Lara needed the shotgun.

The thing I didn't like was the fact it was an interactive cutscene. I wanted to jump around and fire at him like crazy. Like in TR1.

RebeL_fARmeR
25th Jun 2007, 18:37
Oh dude! Just seen the cutscene where she gets into a fight with the huge black guy... WHERE DO YOU BREED THOSE?

Man, I gotta get me a homie just like that, then when I go out on the town I won't have to worry about a thing.
Well, my bro does Krav Maga, which is basically Israeli military streetfighting, but the big black man... Now HE will keep you safe!

I've only got one black homie, a little skinny fella with an afro. Good company, but he don't look bulletproof! :o
Not much good in a fight. He punched me in the stomach in 6th form, so I punched him back, he was sick all over the study area carpet!!! hehehehehehe

Demarest
25th Jun 2007, 18:38
I said "Don't worry about it... he's a retard!!!"

You don't kill people for being retards! :p But you do stop those trying to harm you. She shot once, he kept coming. She shot twice, he kept coming. She shot a third time, he stayed down. That he died isn't her fault. He had two chances to call it off and he kept putting her in mortal danger. She did what she had to.

25th Jun 2007, 18:44
Aww he never meant any harm, I'm sure he had Lara's best interests at heart. He was such a great man.

RebeL_fARmeR
25th Jun 2007, 18:45
Yeah man, correct use of deadly force. He points his gat at Lara, she shoves another round in him. It was his own stupid fault!!!

Though when Lara took down the black guy and the skater punk, I stood there and gatted them a bit more manually, just for satisfaction.

Though Laz didn't kill either of those 2... SHE SURE DID TRY... But she didn't kill them!
So she'll be sleeping good tonight! :)

virumor
18th Jul 2007, 21:51
What did you think when Lara killed Larson? Dear old Lara didn't seem too pleased, but I was kinda glad to see the guy fall.
Maybe she looked a bit distressed because Larson was the very first human being she killed in her life?

Bampire
18th Jul 2007, 21:56
=/ There's no neutral poll option.

boots
18th Jul 2007, 22:10
In the commentaries, Toby Gard said it was a test how far Lara would morally go to achieve her goals, and the cutscene was for the player to feel that Larson needed to go down to able to do that. I thought it was very effective, actually. (I have the full text of that one, if anyone's interested. And if it's okay to post them here. :D)

I actually liked Larson, he wasn't all bad, but I didn't feel terrible about killing him. He really needed to consult someone on his wardrobe, though. Oi.

virumor
18th Jul 2007, 22:32
Lara never kills when it's not necessary... if she had backed down, Natla would become queen of the world (literally) and all that hard work to retrieve the three pieces of the Scion would've been just a waste of time.

And besides, it looked like it was self-defense... :o

Sukhoi4ever
18th Jul 2007, 23:20
Voted in the last option but i´m just joking, doesn´t matter to me, never liked him but Lara is not a murderer so she killed him just to defend herself

gbas
19th Jul 2007, 02:28
I thought he was a creeper. :rasp:

Spong
19th Jul 2007, 02:43
Larson's officially great!

I was gutted when Lara offed him. Even more so when it was done via a lousy QTE. I wanted a proper gunfight. And I missed the old "I got a pain in my brain from ya..." speech Larson used to give at the end of Sanctuary of the Scion.

"I got a pain in my brain from ya. And it's giving me funny ideas now...like to SHOOT YOU TO HELL!" - fantastic stuff! Praise be to the redneck!

Demarest
19th Jul 2007, 02:56
Yeah. But did anybody else notice that at the end of Egypt, he has a clean shot with a Shotgun and INTENTIONALLY misses! He pushes kid out of the way, intentionally misses, and then smirks as if he knows he just let her live, but the guys will think he tried. This added an entirely new element to the story.

Spong
19th Jul 2007, 03:33
Did Larson get killed in the gunfight I mentioned above? It's just that I've got this memory of him doing exactly the same thing in the cutscene at the end of Sanctuary of the Scion in the original.

On a side note; Why didn't Lara use the entrance we see her running from in order to get the last piece of the Scion? It would've cut out a lot of nonsense.
Also, the road she rides the bike along while chasing Natla, why has it got painted white lines in the middle of it? Just think of the trouble someone must've gone to in order to paint them. Why? We're talking about a road that's essentially in the middle of nowhere that comes to a complete stop at the edge of water. It's doesn't exactly give the impression that it's the kind of road that's seen a lot of traffic.

Demarest
19th Jul 2007, 03:54
I was playing that part of the game earlier and just happened to let the cutscene play and found myself asking the EXACT SAME THING! Hell, roads used by cars every day aren't kept up that well. Plus, the last segment she's on leads from nowhere to nowhere. Silly!

Did Larson (or equivalent) do that at that point of the game in TR? *shrugs* If so, I never noticed it. Chalk it up to the better graphics making his smirk more telling. I've been meaning to replay TR since I finished TRA. After my move is complete this weekend, I just might fire up my lesser PC and crack it open once again.

boots
19th Jul 2007, 04:25
Maybe the road had collapsed? It's possible, if it was on the cliffside, and that would explain the white lines. It's not used anymore since there's no road!

A lot of things in TR tend to have the habit of collapsing rather (in)conveniently. Must be something in the water. :whistle:

Shaidester
19th Jul 2007, 04:37
Lara probably didn't seem so pleased because he was the first person she killed, EVER. Keep in mind, this game is a prequel to Legend which explains why she is emotionless most of the time in Legend, compared to Anniversary. Glad he died though :$.

Spong
19th Jul 2007, 04:46
Lara probably didn't seem so pleased because he was the first person she killed, EVER...

Is that right?
What about the hordes of henchmen she killed in TR Chronicles? Speaking in terms of the Lara timeline, didn't that happen before TR1/Anniversary?

Shaidester
19th Jul 2007, 04:52
Is that right?
What about the hordes of henchmen she killed in TR Chronicles? Speaking in terms of the Lara timeline, didn't that happen before TR1/Anniversary?

I don't really know. That's a good point really, but I am pretty sure Larson is the first person Lara killed. I read it off of somewhere anyways. If you're talking about those henchmen (I don't remember which levels) those levels took place at random times of Lara's career. One segment of levels took place before Tr1, another before Tr2, and so on.

boots
19th Jul 2007, 04:53
Is that right?

Well, for Anniversary at least, it's a bit of a reboot of the series (linked with Legend, since they're using the reworked background) so Chronicles might not enter into it.

edit: And like Shaidester said, the game was broken up anyway. I think only the Rome and Ireland levels were pre-TR1 (but I haven't played it, so I don't know what happened in them.)

I can't say for TR1, since I don't remember how they handled the death there. I don't think they did a lot with it. Toby mentioned about putting more emphasis on the emotional/moral impact of Larson's death this time around.

But I could be way off, my memory's pretty terrible. :D

ElevenTR
19th Jul 2007, 15:12
I thought he was a creeper. :rasp:

Jeepers, creepers, where'd ya get those sneakers? "They were tailer made actually" - Lara

Demarest
19th Jul 2007, 16:26
Is that right?

I don't know for sure, but I think it's clear that TRA was meant to be a rebirth of the storyline anyways. I mean, she died before and then came back. So I don't think the entire story is meant to be airtight. Everything about TRA suggests that was the first human she killed and it disturbs her. Therefore I take it as such. I guess it helps that I like that story ;)

gbas
19th Jul 2007, 20:19
Jeepers, creepers, where'd ya get those sneakers? "They were tailer made actually" - Lara

:lol: :lol:

Faye
30th Jul 2007, 22:48
Is that right?

As others has said, Chronicles does not exist in the same timeline/biography as Anniversary. :) TR1 does, but Anniversary doesn't. Chronicles is part of the old Core timeline. Plus, Lara's parents appear in Chronicles at the memorial service, so that would make Anniversary's backstory terribly confusing! :D But yeah, seperate storyline, so it's all good. Like how the films are seperate too, and the comics.

Did Larson (or equivalent) do that at that point of the game in TR? *shrugs* If so, I never noticed it.

I can't recall that anything like that happened...in TR1, Larson went into the Scion room itself to wait with Lara, who shot him when she turned up (player controlled) and he died. The cowboy was outside with the others (Larson would take on the cowboy's role in Anniversary), and he was the one who disarmed Lara, but I don't remember him doing anything else important in that scene.

On the subject of Larson shoving Jerome out of the way to deliberately miss a shot at Lara...notice how he also questioned Natla's orders to kill Lara in tomb of Qualopec, and even after she had reinforced this he STILL disobeyed her, he STILL did not kill Lara, instead he offered her a hand-to-hand fight, even though he knew full well he could easily have shot her when she was swimming. Even in Natla's Mines he was giving Lara the oppurtunity to simply walk away...I think Larson never wanted her dead. I think the only reason he would have shot her would be if he knew he had no other choice to save his own life (eg. if you miss a button in the interactive cutscene in Natla's Mines).

RitaG18
30th Jul 2007, 23:13
Maybe she looked a bit distressed because Larson was the very first human being she killed in her life?

Lol she sure does enjoy the human killing later on in TRII and TRIII :p

RitaG18
30th Jul 2007, 23:23
On the subject of Larson shoving Jerome out of the way to deliberately miss a shot at Lara...notice how he also questioned Natla's orders to kill Lara in tomb of Qualopec, and even after she had reinforced this he STILL disobeyed her, he STILL did not kill Lara, instead he offered her a hand-to-hand fight, even though he knew full well he could easily have shot her when she was swimming. Even in Natla's Mines he was giving Lara the oppurtunity to simply walk away...I think Larson never wanted her dead. I think the only reason he would have shot her would be if he knew he had no other choice to save his own life (eg. if you miss a button in the interactive cutscene in Natla's Mines).

You have some very good points here. Now that I've rewatched the cutscenes and the interactive ones, he sure does seem to be letting her go. Kinda reminds me the role of Alex in TR movie, where she goes "Are you gonna shoot me, Alex?", and he also lets her go and she's jumping into the water.

exmachinad
2nd Aug 2007, 22:17
I hated when lara killed Larson. Lame script writing from CD. Couldn't she just knock him down like she did in Peru? There was no reason for her start shooting him.

Really, that part made Lara seems like a cold murderer.

And the dialogue between them was so... poor. Oh, how I miss Legend smart dialogue.

Yes. I noticed it all too. It made me feel really sorry for Larson when Lara killed him.

STUPID, lame writing from CrystalD, making me dislike a bit the protagonist of a game I'm playing. Worst of all, it is Lara Croft. :O

Spong
2nd Aug 2007, 23:50
@ exmachinad

I'm starting to see a pattern in your posts, and I'm thinking that may be you're on the wrong board. Thought about heading over to the Legend forum?

It's just that all I'm seeing is you using the Anniversary threads to ultimately do nothing more than say Legend is better and Anniversary is rubbish. Which in itself is all well and good. But you don't need to keep repeating it, do you?

Phlip
3rd Aug 2007, 09:22
Good on ya' Lara :thumbsup: :thumbsup: